What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

There was a Class E asteroid approaching Kerbin, with periapsis below 77 km, so it was time to put the Asteroid Wheel into action. The Asteroid Wheel is my heavy asteroid tug, designed for intercepting Class E asteroids and hauling smaller asteroids to other planets. With 506 tonnes of mass and 11141 m/s of delta-v, it certainly can get its job done.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/asteroid_wheel_4.jpeg

Launching the Asteroid Wheel is always hard. As the ship rotates at an accelerating pace during the launch (hence the name), I can't really control the inclination of the initial orbit.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/asteroid_wheel_5.jpeg

This time my initial orbit was 90° off the target, but that's why the ship has so much delta-v.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jltsiren/ksp/asteroid_wheel_6.jpeg

I intercepted the asteroid outside Kerbin's SoI, with about 2/3 of fuel left. It was a relatively small Class E asteroid, with only 1690 tonnes of mass. Now I have about 1040 m/s left to steer the asteroid wherever I want it to go. In my intitial docking position, three of the four arms actually stretched far enough that engine exhaust would not hit the asteroid in any case. In some other orientations, all four engine clusters have a clean line of fire.

I've got one of those... well, the size down. I'm sending a massive fuel tug with a (hopefully) flexible fuel feed to refuel the tug for some pushing. Then get it on an equatorial orbit.

I've made a plane with the few aerodynamic parts I've been able to unlock and I've sent it to the Runway island. Despite the thing being almost impossible to control without SAS, it managed to land in one piece:

gbxdxZG.jpg]

In KSP? Nothing. But in real life, I finally spotted the ISS! And totally inadvertently, too- just walking to the store late in the evening, thinking about having to do something against the flour moth infestation in our dorm- and a bright, moving speck shows up. Looked at Spot the station later to verify. Best feeling of the day!

Set up a rendesvouz with a Kethane tanker and the space station, due in five orbits or 1day+ - I will take it and launch other things in the meantime.

New Eve lander is up in orbit and waiting for a transfer window - KAC tells me one year plus ... will look into my maneuver nodes if I can find an earlier one at higher costs.

Designed a new Mun lander Kerpollo style making full use of the new engines power.

Found out that indeed one can have multiple CLAWs on one ship and all that can be manuvered and attached will. Benifits is that E Class roids are now easier to turn due to increase anti-fish/snake wiggling:

73D0E0310D9EA93751D5BF10DE3532112D547449

An that 3 claws might work better then trying to get 4.

I didn't do anything in KSP, however I get the chance to do an oral presentation demonstrating some. So I figure I will demonstrate how to get to the moon (Mun) using my small amount of rocket surgery that I have, and my PHD in BS to fill in the gaps. Gotta love those college classes LOL. I am going to go for humor as well as informative, so yes there will be things blowing up....like there is anything else in KSP.

well, I learned how to lift big things without asparagus staging: use a bigger rocket. I core the first stage with a 5m rocket, rated at 10K trust. 4 boosters, 3.75m, titans. payload is 180t, powered by the new 3.75m engine, more because of how short it is than any other reason.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Commissar

I successfully captured an A-Class Asteroid. It is now in LKO and suffering investigation by Bill and Neilkin Kerman.

Then I decided to capture an E-Class Asteroid. With the same design that I used to capture the A-Class thingy.

I have to say, that I really, really misunderestimated the mass of this E-Class monstrosity. The thing has 3000 or something tons.

I barely managed to capture this beast in Kerbin SOI (24.000.000 x 82.000.000 km nearly polar orbit). Every movement results in a change from orbit to escape trajectory.

And the whole operation was done while the ship and the Asteroid began swing around like a latin dancer every time I turned on the engines.

That. Was. Not. Funny. :D

And now Jeb and Bob are stuck there with not a single drop of fuel left. The vessel is totally dry.

Getting this baby into a stable orbit will require some (for me) serious tinkering.

I think, I have to return to the good old principle of adding more boosters.

What have we learned so far? Big, heavy Asteriods are big and heavy.

Made a failed attempt to land on Duna. Too much force on the parachutes opening tore the ship apart :( We salute the three brave Kerbals who lost their lives (I don't remember their names...) in the tragic event. They gave their lives for Science!

Launched the first stage of Minmus I, my new station orbiting Minmus. It is my first launch with the new rocket parts... damn they are powerful!