What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I added another satellite to my communications network around Kerbin in my new .23.5 save.

The only thing left for full coverage is to either replace or upgrade Comsat Kerbin 1, the first to be sent up.

Oh, and Jeb lost grip of a ship on reentry because he forgot to collect the data from the disposable Goo containers earlier.

Performed a test of my new ion-powered glider, the Circumnavigator I. This thing carries over 1600 Xenon and 1600 electric charge, with solar panels that give the craft a zero discharge rate even at full power during the day and keep the aircraft charged well into the night. It cruises at a whopping 28 m/s.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Later tonight I found that part clipping makes rockets finicky. The VAB kept eating the fuel lines to my second stage's outer engines, and my first stage kept losing an engine without explanation - nothing shown as breaking, just the engine not firing and reporting itself oxidizer-deprived.

I threw the first stage out and checked the second stage works, at least. Will have to fix the first stage tomorrow. Failing that, anyone know a mod with 7.5 metre radius tanks?

I decided to take the Sea Voyager MKIV westward, and made it near the southern tip of the mountain range to the west of KSC. I have finally decided on what this should be referred to also; The Rove Boat. On flat ground I can get up to 50m/s, but in the water I can go well into the 70 m/s. Here is Bofurt doing his best Toyota commercial impression from the 90's, he is just so happy to not be blowing up....yet.

abi6ae.png

Today Jeb and Bill traveled retrograde in relation to Kerbol for the first time. The first mission of the Zeus Program and a flight of many firsts, including a flyby of Eve, dropping a lander/probe on Eve, getting an encounter with Gilly and having our brave Kerbonauts use the Gilly Lander for the first time to get their little green feet deep into Gilly powder...

Burn Baby Burn, the 2 NIRVA's pushing us out farther and farther

9D5499F1678ED7BCD576F07D4B790287563CAD7B

That's one purple ball..

F2C9650AAECDEEC2D3312A5992A202668AFD215C

"It's getting a tad warm in here.."

C0402F9E023EE484A78640C5C820B703E737ADE7

Probe away!

9335CF6025A502D9F28E2EB68DE557CC784F0E70

Slowly descending through the ominous clouds of Eve, shortly before discovering we're directly above the toxic ocean of Eve.... Unfortunately the probe did not survive this toxic liquid for long :(

121CD620F69927BC58EA92C5F56580B879FDE046

But undeterred Jeb and Bill get on with it, getting it onto Gilly that is!

14453AB2E56237881308E8E9A7A3A10E9DBF2DF5

And that is were they remain, until at least Thursday when I have time to fly them back :)

5415404F6D07BE22E59861364A0306EB9408E963

Landed on Duna with my Kethane Miner/Explorer.

Had an eclipse with Ike, picture shows how it looked just afterwards :)

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/Y2ORZ/embed"></iframe>

/\Yes./\

What did I do? Probably doomed Kerbin to an E-Class sized fate of destruction.

29wtxqb.png

My tug didn't pack enough delta-V that time, and it wasn't even a threat. Now there's one on a direct impact path. I hope I can save them.

"Fire the missiles!"

I started my Mun-base program. I realize there is still alot of science for me to gather off Mun, so in order to cut down on similar flights, I decided to do somethings I've never really done. First step was getting the core science lab and transmitting equipment there. I do not have radial attachments or large docking ports yet, so I'm limited in design for now. The plan is to send up a second module with a rover to gather science, bring it back to the lab and then process and transmit it. I also want to send a few hitchhiker can habitats for fun so that it gets the appearance of a colony.

Some of the things this program will expose me to that are new:

- Successful rover deployment on another body. I got one on the Mun once before, but it rolled away and eventually broke when I tried to catch it.

- Rover control.

- Landing at or near the same place. I've never really tried to land at a specific spot, so this will be the first time where I'll be focused on hitting a target spot each flight.

At some point I'd like to build a fully connected base with multiple rovers, probes, shuttles and fuel, but that's a long way out.

Also, I need to be better about defining action groups. I setup colored lights on different groups so I can control how many are on and what color combinations, but I forgot to set one for my solar panels so I have to open/close them manually. And I should've brought 3 kerbals up instead of 2.

FEJIweH.jpg

Today, I decided to go for an asteroid. There was a big one coming, so I went big.

PxrwtKY.png

Launch was tenuous. Also, It's still wierd seeing jumbo tanks used on smaller outer boosters.

Soon, it became apparent things weren't going quite to plan. But I had an intercept.

CarPRoY.png

After much fiddling, I had it. My own asteroid. I called him Rock one.

FNZqW6c.png

Now, it was time to turn it and begin the long trip back to Kerbin. The puny RCS thrusters did little to turn the E-class 'roid. So I swiveled on the pivot, thinking I'd turn the asteroid with offset thrust, and use the "warp cancels rotation" trick to stop it. That's where it all went wrong.

vX5VIXf.png

My carefully built space tug fragmented. And damn it, I hit F5 not F9.

However, I couldn't abandon my kerbies.

Enter the bare bones rescue plan.

2wLSefN.png

After 2 years, my rudimentary rescue ship arrived add the isolated pod.

NawNb04.png

♫I just spent 2 years in a little pod... ♫♪♪♪ (Seriously, someone needs to make a KSP parody of that song.)

Three more years later, and they were back in Kerbin orbit. Then it was a modified Kerbal X's job to retrieve them.

CfByJ4Q.png

Kerbal X to the rescue!

The Kerbal X brought my crew home safely, after almost six years in space.

hhgoXOU.png

Was it worth it?

yqIzVLY.png

Maybe.

Edited by Tw1

I got a reminder that the large ASAS unit isn't very strong

13858015634_424ca76015_b.jpg

I have a fix for that. Use either Modular Girders (or as a friend suggested, more elegantly with Small Hardpoints) at various points along that, and use those as interconnecting strut points. It solidifies this stuff quite nicely! :)

Here's a screenshot from my friend where you can see some hardpoints with struts used this way (from pre-0.23.5, so they were even more important then, though they work even better crossed into X-patterns):

2014-03-19_00001.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

We are approaching a very Kraken-esque page number in this thread.

The Six Six Science Division does not fear the number of the kraken!

evokPki.jpg

And today i am re-designing the engine section of my orbital service craft:

JpCkS9Q.png

I have a fix for that. Use either Modular Girders (or as a friend suggested, more elegantly with Small Hardpoints) at various points along that, and use those as interconnecting strut points. It solidifies this stuff quite nicely! :)

Hahaha. Awesome. Did you reduce the amount of fuel/thrust on those, or just let 'em go full bore?

Unless it's critical that they do not explode, my SRBs are always at full power. Otherwise Jeb is angry at me :P