What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I had a rather frustrating session today.

First, I tried to save my Laythe mission by performing a sub-orbital rendezvous and docking with my transfer stage. Though I was able to get a close intercept, my craft weren't capable of cancelling out the relative velocity in time to escape the moon's gravity. I think I'll just have to send a rescue mission with some extra fuel.

Then, I decided to build a warship with my own custom-built missiles (just for fun). I was able to design a neat missile that uses Sepratrons to accelerate at 15g's for four seconds … surely enough speed to destroy any target. But when I tested them in space, they seemed incapable of damaging the spent rocket stage I had targeted. I eventually tried ramming the debris outright -- the collision tore my ship apart, but the debris was completely undamaged. I just don't get it.

Another pretty productive day for me. Launched a manned mission to orbit Eve and land on Gilly. I also launched a probe to Eeloo which will slingshot by Jool. The probe won't be getting much of a boost from Jool, mostly just using it for a small inclination change. But most significantly was what happened around Moho. My new "Trifecta" probe arrived, which is a combination orbiter, lander, and rover. All three elements worked perfectly. The orbiter is in a good orbit scanning for Kethane, the lander and rover landing perfectly, and I had fun driving the rover all the way up the side of a larger crater to look inside. Reminded me of some of the photos from Spirit and Opportunity. The only thing I realized, is I kinda messed up the design of the lander. The way it was supposed to work, was a skycrane type delivery system would release the lander/rover combo onto the surface of Moho, and then the skycrane would fly off and crash in the distance. The only flaw was, I completely forgot to put a decoupling mechanism between the lander and the skycrane :blush:. Thankfully, I picked a nice flat spot to land on, because with the skycrane still attached the thing is massively top heavy.

The other big thing that arrived at Moho, was the fuel resupply mission for my lander and return vehicle. Orbital insertion went beautifully, as did the rendezvous and docking with the lander. The only catch with this one, was after docking with the lander and refuelling it, I realized I had meant to rendezvous with return vehicle first, because I had a decent stage for the lander attached to the resupply vehicle, and once it decoupled, the rest of the vehicle wouldn't be able to dock with anything again. The lander and return vehicle are in very different orbits (in retrospect, I should have inserted them into similar orbits), so I don't want to undock, do a massive plane-change to the return vehicle, and then do another massive plane-change back. So instead, what I'm going to do once my orbit gets to where I plan to land, is I'll use the entire resupply vehicle to kill most of the lander's orbital velocity, undock, then burn prograde and get itself back into a stable orbit. After I land, I'll then have the resupply vehicle head over to the return vehicle, and transfer over whatever fuel is remaining.

Which makes tomorrow the big day for me. My first manned landing on another planet. Oh boy....

Oh, and ya, I almost forgot to mention I also inadvertently crashed an airplane into the side of a mountain :blush: Oops. Lesson learned, don't descend through clouds in a mountain range.

Edited by Piper

I got a lot done today.....

saw Moho for the first time.

9JKZvCF.png

saw dres for the first time!

RwHqfEQ.png

Jeb sees home after 6 long years of collecting science from duna!

jr5c99o.png

Apparently it was a rough landing.... this is one of those times where i popped the chute and then turned away... well everyone lives!

hn4bA5c.png

2500 science!!! woooot!

p4Id37a.png

Attempted launching a new space station core..... RIP little guys :(

9gWol2A.png

Saw Pol for the first time!

qz3q0Ur.png

and finally! saw bop for the first time! bop seems interesting as there in some sort of anomaly showing up. how exciting! time to mount an expedition!

HD5Yy0q.png

@Cerberus: you should convert your screenshots to jpgs before you post them. That's ten megabytes of pictures you just posted.

Me, I just made my first trip to the Badlands. I refitted one of my aerospace fighters for dedicated aerial flight, attached a reconnaisance pod to the rear docking bay and flew halfway around the world to get there.

I recently made the switch from ISAMAP SAT to SCANSAT and I'm currently in the process of designing new probes and sending them to all the planets and moons.

I used Kerbin, Mun and Minmus as testing grounds. And now I have a mapping satellite in orbit around Moho, more on their way to Duna, Dres and Eeloo, and I'm waiting for more transfer windows.

I also sent Bob on a return trajectory to Kerbin from Ike.

sent Bill, Bob and Jeb up into orbit in a Moho mission craft, but I couldn't be bothered to fly the actual mission yet. Which is a good thing because a few hours after parking them in orbit and closing KSP I suddenly realised that it's an Apollo style mission and I didn't put any RCS anywhere on the lander. Will have to de-orbit, land and adjust the design before I do the mission.

Also, suddenly exclaiming "crap I forgot the RCS!" out of nowhere hours later could mean that I might be spending a teensy bit too much time thinking about KSP :P

I had a very bad day.

During a launch one engine randomly decided to fuel flame out despite being directly attached to a fuel tank with a LOADS of fuel in it :mad:

Fortunately the lifter was a little overpowered so I could afford to shut down an engine on the other side to balance it out. . . but was a hairy moment.

My rescue mission to Duna was on its way out of Kerbins SOI when I noticed the Electric charge slowly draining away "Whoops, better stop time warp and deploy the solar panels" thinks I. . . promptly presses the increases time warp button instead of the decrease time waro and watch my remaining charge disappear down the drain in 0.01s.

Fortunately Lemgas Kerman was still able to EVA, and using KAS was able to remove of the Duna rover's OX-STAT panels and reattach it to the orbiter's sun facing side . . . generating just a enough of a trickle of charge to get the main panels deployed.

It turns out the Eeloo mapping probe I had ready co-orbiting with Kerbin awaiting its node was in some horrific Kerbin SOI grabbing hotspot of an orbit, its been recaptured by Kerbin THREE times now and its cost me about 600 m/s DeltaV to finally be free . . . the loss of dV isn't a huge issue (it has loads) but I have now missed my alignment. . . best I can get now has it arriving in 7 freaking years . . . I will burn to match inclination (goodbye another 1500 m/s!) and see if I can do better. . .

Edited by Bishop149

Im fairly new here to Kerbal life but I am getting there. This weekend I took the Kassandra ship from the stock ship thread in the repository and I went to Duna, my first trip to another planet. Followed the pdf file for the ship along with other needed tutorials as I went along. Didnt know what to really expect. In the process, I also done my first docking and rover trip and first Moon mission style trip and back. Pretty happy camper here today. :) Cant wait to do more.

Created/built a new space station "SS Delta":

haygumG.png

Attached decouplers to the add on landers/housing units and added small solid fuel rockets to tanks holding the landers so I can eject the tanks and have the landers/housing units come down safely full of Kerbals. It works quite well :-)

SRAzEU7.png

BJQ

Edited by BJ Quest

Yesterday, I played around with the HGR mod, developing a single-Kerb Spudstock vehicle for science. Sent Mk 2 around LKO, around the Mun, and more. Then I started building a two Kerb vehicle for exploration and more. Unfortunately the Radish-derived Radeni capsule Mk 1 was not aerodynamically stable to keep the heatshield pointed down, and the parachute burned up during rentry. Jebediah and Bob Kerman were lost on impact with the ground. My roommates witnessed the carnage.

It was the first loss of crew in 0.23.5. Much mourning was had. Thinking of installing EVA parachutes to provide an alternate atmospheric egress option.

I made a Mun rocket, but missed the encounter (I'm new to KSP) so I decided to go for the sun instead. Attempting to lower my periapsis straight into the sun, Bill exhausted all the liquid fuel. Then all the RCS fuel. Then he got out and used his jetpack for a while. One of these days, I will get a kerbal into the sun!

Ok that was funny.

For the first time, I docked some modules to my space station I launched yesterday. My first attempt was a very small unmanned probe. The second module was a science lab.

Both were successful on first try! :D

Z5QPjGu.jpg The unmanned probe approaching

hQeHllM.jpg

Almost there!

3CBdAY1.jpg

There we are!

iFwHdjO.jpg

My science lab en route

FmuplYV.jpg

It's bigger than the entire station lol

8mOrnJG.jpg

Tadaaaa!

Further testing of my "Single Stage to Anywhere"

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've thrown in a couple of IVA shots at the end - I love how good a bridge the B9 Mk2 cockpit makes - sadly this has dropped the default capacity to two (though it'd be easy enough to add some hab modules to the payload bay).

Completed three missions today.

Sent Bill to the Mun - had him coming in on a very shallow approach, realized (at the last second!) he was going to smack into a mountain long before he was slow enough to land. Burned a lot of fuel to get him safely over the mountain, and then down again. Eventually landed him. Did some science'y things. Started the return trip. Quickly realized that there was no way he had enough DeltaV to make it back. Back down he goes.

Sent up an unmanned rescue mission - which was the first time I actually attempted to aim for a specific landing site. Touched down softly only 200m from lonely Bill. Return trip was uneventful.

Finally, sent Bob on a return trip to the Mun's North Polar region. Nothing exciting, except I did snap my new background image.

I consider it a successful day. I'm getting better at landing, and I was gradually improving the design of my ships with each mission.

Edited by GregE

Well, I'm a newbie so what did I do today, I finally managed to fix my mess! I'm playing a career and had only unlocked the first 3 or 4 nodes, So I have the TL-400 fuel, tank, radial parachutes, ting wings and the huge solid fuel booster. I did a great science run, with 3 Goos and several eva's I was about to fire the burn to bring Jeb back to Kerbin when opps space button...

He was lost in space! :( I thought his orbit would degrade, (his perisode (sp) was only about 55k but he didn't), so I had to rescue him. Being new he was in an elliptical (P:57k A:330k you can tell I was part way through a maneuver when I hit space huh?), inclined orbit. So I had to build a ship with 2 command modules (Mk1 says it can only fit one Kerbin in it) and then, without any RCS, get it to rendezvous with the crazy pod, and have Jeb space walk over to it! He was saved! Just a little annoyed I had to leave the science behind.. :(

Now I think I need to plan to land on a few more Kerbin Biomes and get them samples... Sciences nodes are like 45 scince to unlock nothing much but a biger fuel tank... ;)

Fortunately Lemgas Kerman was still able to EVA, and using KAS was able to remove of the Duna rover's OX-STAT panels and reattach it to the orbiter's sun facing side . . . generating just a enough of a trickle of charge to get the main panels deployed.
I thought you could just manually extend deployable panels on EVA.
He was lost in space! :( I thought his orbit would degrade, (his perisode (sp) was only about 55k but he didn't), so I had to rescue him. Being new he was in an elliptical (P:57k A:330k you can tell I was part way through a maneuver when I hit space huh?), inclined orbit. So I had to build a ship with 2 command modules (Mk1 says it can only fit one Kerbin in it) and then, without any RCS, get it to rendezvous with the crazy pod, and have Jeb space walk over to it! He was saved! Just a little annoyed I had to leave the science behind.. :(
For future reference, 55 km is low enough for aerobraking, though it would take several orbits before you can land. However, only the active ship and ships within 2.2 km of the active ship will be affected by atmospheric drag. If you're in the tracking station, or flying another mission, you won't aerobrake.

Also, when on EVA near a command pod, right-click the pod and you can take the experiment data out, then carry it to the new pod. So you didn't need to abandon it.

Well, I'm a newbie so what did I do today, I finally managed to fix my mess! I'm playing a career and had only unlocked the first 3 or 4 nodes, So I have the TL-400 fuel, tank, radial parachutes, ting wings and the huge solid fuel booster. I did a great science run, with 3 Goos and several eva's I was about to fire the burn to bring Jeb back to Kerbin when opps space button...

Now I think I need to plan to land on a few more Kerbin Biomes and get them samples... Sciences nodes are like 45 scince to unlock nothing much but a biger fuel tank... ;)

Next time while outside and before you let go of the ladder, right click on the lander/capsule and select take experiments. Then EVA next to your Goo and Science Jr and take those experiments too. Then EVA to the other capsule and when you get on the ladder, right click and store experiments. All science saved along with Jeb. You have to be right next to things to do that. :)

Oops, Im a slow typer, sorry for the repeat info :)

I brought back seven green men from Minmus because my Alpha Base really messed up my game and lagged too much. Damn shame, I had planned that base for a long time

Meanwhile, on a planet called Earth: I look up at the night sky, seeing the moon far above me. I think to myself..."Damn, missed the transfer, now its too far above the horizon."