What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today in the actual game of KSP (as opposed to my previous post), I made some more headway toward clearing the Science tree and unlocked the large circular probe cores, allowing me to officially finish my first two "official" light lift rockets. Next order of business: a proper crew shuttle.

Woohoo! An adventurous Kerbal managed to resurrect the two severely damaged probes on Minmus and saved the mission! He also managed to bring in 1012 science! Now I'm designing my mission plan for a huge trip to the Mun-anyone have any tips for using the KW Rocketry Petal Fairing-I'd really like the option to open it in the VAB before I build my lander.

screenshot56_zpsa3a2e569.png

screenshot58_zps024953ea.png

Built and tested a low cost Mun and Minmus contract lander.

RZIyc5k.jpg

Also built the interplanetary version.

McfPcKF.jpg

Both are on their way to fulfill their missions to orbit and land on the contract locations and transmit science info, in those cases, temperature readings.

Have just launched in the last gameday 5 separate missions, manned mission to Duna/Ike, Manned mission to Eve/Gilly, unmanned missions to Dres, Moho, and Eeloo. Once the Eeloo ship is aligned to it's transfer point, I'm going to go design/build a ship with multiple small probes for the simple purpose of cleaning up all the space junk up here in Kerbin orbit, though if any of them do have fuel aboard, I will be trying to drain those tanks, doubtful tho.

Accepted the Explore Minmus mission and built a rocket that I plan to complete all my currently active contracts in a single launch. That's a flag on Mun, Explore Minmus (also taking a science module and a satellite there), Orbital Rescue, and five different part tests, only three of which I have already unlocked the parts through research (LFB landed at Kerbin, radial 'chute and TR-2V tiny decoupler in flight over Kerbin). I'm also using it to put up a set of four nuclear drive modules (suborbital test and preparation for future missions).

tXPFny.png

There's a total of three command pods in the rocket, one is empty and is to return the orbital rescuee to the surface, and the other two are manned and part of landers. Hopefully the landers will be capable of a return - they're fitted with parachutes, so that is in the plan.

FEghRk.png

8ESmjs.png

The most recent version had two sets of drop-tanks. The LFBs feed into them, and they feed up the line and into the main tank. The radial 'chute and decoupler tests have an overlap in altitude/speed requirements that lies between the dropping of the tanks.

gWJ37q.png

Here you can see that there was a lot of leftover fuel in the core: a full Rockomax X200-32 and more than a third of one of the two Jumbo-64 tanks. As such, I believe that I can remove one set of drop tanks and still reach orbit and rendezvous. If this next version doesn't make it to orbit, I'll probably look at splitting the set of X200-16 drop tanks into two sets of X200-8 tanks, and see if that helps at all. If not, well, I can put some small tanks on the LFBs. The 'chutes will come in handy when I attempt to land the thing back at KSC - I'll have to practice my precision de-orbiting.

The total cost of this rocket is almost 260k funds, but with all the mission rewards, I still anticipate turning a profit.

Edited by Concentric

The low cost Minmus contract rocket has flown and landed completing its mission with lots of fuel to spare.

y5e4dbF.jpg

kvNuDvT.jpg

A single stage to orbit variation is orbiting Kerban to fulfill those transmit data contracts. The SRB ones will orbit the two moons to satisfy similar requests.

zJbMECR.jpg

0x7xUOv.jpg

Something weird happened to me today. I was planing to go the Minmus with one of my unkerbaled ships. Made a maneuver node, had a minmus encounter and burned. During warp, when I got close to Minmus, my orbit path changed and was going back to Kerbin, after the periapsis on Kerbin it encountered the Mun and later on that same path encounter Minmus again. So let the warp continue, I was still going to Minmus but it would just take me longer than expected.

Good thing I didn't changed my path because I took quite a lot of science from my fly by on the Mun. Now I'm on Minmus on a polar orbit and collecting tons of science.

Wish I had screens of the orbit path.

I discovered you can actually get to the Mun with the Kerbal X, however with my piloting, no fuel left.....

http://i.cubeupload.com/TmifG3.jpg

:P

Yes this is a known fact... it can't do a round trip, but still has legs. A very mysterious design.

I wonder if it can do a Minmus round-trip though, just never feel like testing... :-p

I rescued Kirbles Kerman stranded in orbit. Unfortunately I smashed I to him traveling at about 30M/s which sent his little bum FLYING. I always forget that you can switch from 2 Km away. (I think? I think someone said that once...) He's fine in any case.

I just HAD to have him because of his adorable name.