What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally landed on Duna. 1st trips were just orbital then I built what I figured should land OK. Made it! So, I knew this was a One Way ship hoping it has fuel enough to make it back into Duna orbit. That's the next step for maybe tomorrow. Then I will send the same ship I orbited with before Unmanned that they can dock with then return. We'll see.

vDTJ01X.png

2bdAQz4.png

a6RRkBM.png

Redesigned and launched a cruise stage for the inner system. I'll use it later.

Got my shuttlecraft to the Mun station. Discovered I forgot the crew.

Got the next one there. Got the other one back, but messed up and burned all the fuel because it somehow re-encountered the mun and ended up in Kerbin escape orbit.

Gave up on the returning rescue mission, and just dumped it in the sea instead. Discovered it wanted to flip, then that the RCS pancaked down through the hitchhiker can to destroy everything. Whoops.

Redesigned the shuttle, tweaked the lifter a bit.

Designed an extension for the station.

That's a really cool setup you have. Was it a smooth launch?

It wasn't too bad and I didn't really have any stability or manoeuvrability issues but I did pretty much run out of fuel getting into Minmus orbit and had to send another ship to refuel it before landing. Fortunately I attached the BACC with a docking port so I could undock and redock in orbit while I fueled up. the lander was a modification of the "test a mainsail on Minmus " rig I'd used earlier but with LV-909s on the outrigger tanks and a science junior and goo tanks slung where the mainsail used to be.

Made an awesome Lunar Orbit Rendezvous Mun rocket that is a bit like Apollo (in fact, I dubbed this Kapollo.) The lander (LM) is actually launched inverted atop the main ship, and while in Kerbin orbit, they are separated and rejoined using docking ports before Trans-Munar Injection. I just realized something... I forgot to add parachutes. And I can't revert due to quicksaves. The mission will go on, but I plan to simply park the command module in a low, equatorial Kerbin Orbit upon return (I should have lots of fuel, especially with aerobraking - I over-engineered the Kapollo Kommand and Service Module and used a double nuke propulsion system.) and rescue Jeb, Bill, and Bob during my next "rescue-a-Kerbal" contract.

That will require space for 4 Kerbals and a probe core, or maybe just 5 Kerbals. Maybe if I could accept 2 rescue missions at once, I could make a "double ship." and take 6 Kerbals down - Jeb, Bill, Bob, one previously rescued Kerbal as launch pilot, and the 2 new contract Kerbals. Maybe I could make a lightweight landing vehicle with command seats - it can't be too long until I can research those.

Launched 3 satellites to get contracts around Mun, Minmus, and Eve. All worked beauty, and grabbed about 300 science points each, and discovered that Minmus has a whack of Thorium and Uranium.

Fortunately I attached the BACC with a docking port so I could undock and redock in orbit while I fueled up.

Yeah I noticed it in the picture. I haven't gotten to the point where I've left Kerbin's SOI yet in KSP. I'm trying to unlock all the parts I need to make a copycat Apollo-style mission. I'm going to try and make the payload (Command/service module and a Lunar module.) and see if I can make something similar to the Saturn series rockets. The delivery system doesn't matter so much to me. The CSM and LM are the super cool bits!

Basically I'm gonna build these and stick them on top.

CSM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_CSM

Here's the CSM again but with the escape tower shown.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo-linedrawing.png

And the LM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Module

Edited by Mister Kerman

Finally got a ship into Moho SOI with a payload of 2 unmanned probes. One is now in orbit mapping out Moho, and I sent the more damaged of the two down to Moho (Had designed and built these probe payloads without any real testing on them, and sent 5 of them out to various locations in the system, turns out that design is guaranteed to rip off at least one of the 4 solar panels on both of the probes, this time one probe had 3 ripped off) So sent the newly designated lander down toward moho. It did have to pull off a brief hover in the decent as it was desperately low on power and I needed to extend the panel. But the probe made it down to the surface, and was able to send back a temperature reading to complete the moho contract.

Unfortunately when I went back to the probe after checking on another mission the physics loading caused the last solar panel to be ripped off. Soon that probe will be silent. RIP my faithful little probe.

Designed an eight-way probe launcher to go to Minmus and collect science from all the biomes. The current launcher isn't big enough to get it there so I decided to do a test launch to LKO.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Now to re-design the launcher with more boosters :) and see if I can get the thousand or so m/s of delta-v I am short for a Minmus mission.

Well, i did nothing yesterday and i wont today... I am at the amphi festival in cologne over the weekend, for some nice hard industrial and ebm music... Watched the mexican band Hocico yesterday as well as bands from canada, usa, belgium, england, france and germany of course. I am back in ksp business tomorrow... Already have some ideas for my new tylo lander...

Congrats, now do it in the dark, with no lights, and without accidently blowing up parts of either ship (did that yesterday myself to one of my interplanetary transports with my duna lander, except I kinda collided my lander with parts of the transport, then proceeded to catch the surviving transport tanks and used my crippled lander to limp back to kerbal (really glad I didn't go with detachable engines for the duna ascent))

Congrats, now do it in the dark, with no lights, and without accidently blowing up parts of either ship (did that yesterday myself to one of my interplanetary transports with my duna lander, except I kinda collided my lander with parts of the transport, then proceeded to catch the surviving transport tanks and used my crippled lander to limp back to kerbal (really glad I didn't go with detachable engines for the duna ascent))

I'll try, but I'll make some more practice before :-)

Decided to launch a science plane and fly around Kerbin and land at all the biomes. Right now I'm in a grassland biome north of the desert one which I always name it Sakara. It will be a long mission but Jeb and Bill are happy to find juicy science.

screenshot11.png

Congrats Corwin!

The first time is amazing. What's your setup? I docked a lander to my orbital space lab orbiting the moon for my first orbital rendezvous.

I also docked a lander to just a fuel depot space station, as it appears in some youtube video tutorials. Before this one I did another test, unsuccessul because the probe was too small and the RCS system was too poweful, and because of my lack of control. So this time I tried a lander with more inertia. Also i put several RCS systems to test what happens when they are out of the center of mass.

Edited by LordCorwin

I think I discover them today (CAPS LOCK), although I haven't seen any indicator nor message that they're ON or OFF. :-)

Your pitch / roll / yaw indicators at the bottom left will turn from orange to light-blue when you go to sensitive mode...

Lol it's funny; I only noticed they turn blue yesterday.

Back on topic. I did a lot more contracts. One in particular gave me trouble. OCD and pride prevented me from ignoring/rejecting a tough contract that I only accidentally accepted. This is a quote from another topic:

I had to get a LFB KR-1x2 (again!! :'( ) to 6300 M traveling at at LEAST 470 M/s. It's impossible. I'd love to see one of tou guys do it. I tried all kinds of super expensive configurations of Radially mounted (using girder segments) LFB KR -1X2 engines and no matter how many I had going at once there was never enough thrust to get the payload LFB KR -1X2 up to speed in time.

So I used my magnificent brain and thought outside the box like a maverick genius, and instead launched it much higher than the 6000M mark and cut my engines until free fall. I then sped it up to speed on the way back down and as I got within acceptable altitude requirements, I staged the test.