What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Shamelessly savescummed.

I had set up a small correction for aerobraking on my Duna mission, bringing apoapsis down to about level with Ike, but decided to first undock my Duna lander and have that make its own correction for an approach for landing. After making both corrections, I realised that of course both craft would be hitting Duna's atmosphere at the same time. Derp.

Retry, and this time I'll have the lander separate much earlier and make a small retrograde burn, thus ensuring it will come down plenty before the main ship does its aerobrake.

Shamelessly savescummed.
And I got my comeuppance. The lander came in fast, with periapsis below the surface to start with, and no choice of landing zone meaning the terrain was over 3 km high. The result:

14908284616_551bf2f37a_o.png

Bob Kerman did not survive. And this one I will not be reverting.

I made a small family of planes, crashed version 3, the cockpit survived. So i made a rescue helicopter, that for some reason used heavy plane KAX parts, 3 helicopter rotors and 2 jump jets JUST to make it fly :P

Took a while to fly all the way to the crash site, but i got Jeb, Bob and Bill safely back to the space center after tumbling out of control in the way back, didn't crash though :D

Sorry, no pics :(

Deployed the core of my science station in a low Duna orbit. IPT-1 tanker coming in to transfer whats left in its tanks before de-orbiting...

UYYzno5.jpg

Then with the next transfer window, Bob came to deliver the command section of the station along with a bunch of scientists and crew. Here they are about to enter the atmosphere during their 2nd aero-braking pass...

YTPXCZs.jpg

A little later, they arrived at the station and released the delivered module...

7L3i5bX.jpg

...which then was installed on the tower...

JTZ8Rhp.jpg

Station is now awaiting more scientists and the first experiments. Bob did his job here and is heading home to pick up more stuff...

B5iGzFB.jpg

Having landed an unmanned probe on Duna's (Mars) moon Ike I used the science gained to unlock some more airplane parts.

I got inspired to design and fly a plane to the north pole of Kerbin, Ive always found planes quite hard to design and it is far different to designing rockets, with rockets atmosphere does not have to be taken into account very much, you take a short path through the atmosphere on launch but most of your flying will be in the vacuum of space.

Planes however fly non stop through the atmosphere and because I decided to use jet engines it was all the more difficult because jets need oxygen to function. At low elevations the atmosphere is thick, the air intakes function at greater capacity, the wings and control surfaces are very effective but the atmospheric drag on your craft is greater. flying upward means you have a thinner atmosphere to fly through meaning you can go faster, but there is less oxygen for the air intakes and I found that above 25000m altitude your control surfaces and wings begin to lose effectiveness.

Its a balancing act of piloting and design to fly efficiently and planes must be designed to function in this wide gradient of environments and the functionally of planes varies wildly with each design having an altitude and flying style that works best for it.

The plane I made was designed for between roughly 13 and 20 kilometers altitude and flew best slowly oscillating between 15 and 18 picking up speed and then dipping down a little to get more oxygen. Due to the high altitude design takeoffs and landings took a great deal of flying precision to maintain control.

With crashes, redesigns, ado and all kinds of troubles the mission was a success!

And I do feel somewhat confident in my design skills, perhaps a duel type engine system to reach sub-orbit and circumnavigate Kerbin can be the next step in testing my aerodynamic prowess :P

Jsje4JJ.png

qiTc6mz.png

1HHYfm3.png

I tried to send a probe to the Mun, but I accidentally encased my nuclear motor in a fairing, and I couldn't use the engine. As it happens, though, I'd taken a contract to test an LV-1 engine, and I happened to mount it upside-down on the other end of the ship. So the little LV-1 pushed the entire ship, backwards, to the Mun.

LV1.jpg

The LV-1 performed the orbital insertion at the Mun -- and moments later, it malfunctioned! (I'm using "Dang It," a wonderful random-failures mod.) You can see it highlighted in red. Good thing it didn't go offline two minutes earlier. If I want to fix it, I'll have to have a Kerbal rendez-vous with it and repair it on EVA.

Engine.jpg

Today i advanced a little through the tech tree, getting all the parts i need for a decent large scale space station in .24.2 career.

This makes my current station obsolete, so i refitted it with new landing craft, rearranged the modules and docked a nuclear tug to it. Instead of decommissioning the station i will send it on a trip to Duna.

The station as it was before:

lTS0ZzC.png

The station with rearranged modules,Duna emergency landing capsules and tug awaiting transfer in 95 Kerbin days.

3I25Ohp.png

kTOaWFw.png

I will send a lander together with the station to Duna, to establish an unkerbaled post on the ground.

It will have a fuel depot and a rover for basic LZ exploration, delivering the necessary data for the kerbaled base lander that will follow,

when the next launch window opens. So far, transporting the station, landing the unkerbaled rover and depot will cost arround 800 k of funds.

Mission report and more pictures will follow.

Nothing much, really.

Sent a ship to MinMus, with a small detour to Mun.

Visited all biomes, got all sciences.

Barely made 9200 science, all in all. hardly worth it.

lKkl91Y.png

vCSMgcv.png

Still had 3 unused science cans, so I musta missed a spot or two.. I was *sure* I had plans for all 24...

I have finished my entry for the Laythe Capitalism! challenge. You have to bring space tourist Kerbals to Laythe and back the cheapest way possible per Kerbal. I really like this challenge! I have brought 4 tourist Kerbals to Laythe with a guidance of an experienced pilot. Click on the picture for the link:

5Xwoltf.jpg

I haven't played in a few days... I think I'm in that part of my hormonal cycle where I lose my motivation to play KSP. But I'm not going to be one of those obnoxious people (cough) and go make my own personal thread about it. I'll very likely be back in two or three weeks anyway.

BTW I now feel the pain of all those people who say Tylo landings are hard. I can easily pack the required dV, but it's hard to mantain the high TWR needed for landing with that much fuel mass.

Nothing much, really.

Sent a ship to MinMus, with a small detour to Mun.

Visited all biomes, got all sciences.

Barely made 9200 science, all in all. hardly worth it.

Hmmm. Sent a Karbonite-powered lander equipped with all experiments and a Mobile Lab to rearm them. Visited all 10 remaining biomes on Mun I hadn't already been to.

14752092329_c1a8409cf6_o.jpg

Brought 100 separate data sets back home.

14752153088_ec026d788e_o.jpg

Got about 5300 Science! (about 1800 transmitted before return).

14752089149_507b408e6b_o.jpg

It cost me about $348K but I've got millions from my part-testing monopoly so it was worth it :).

Today I built the "Rascal" rover, a small but stable rover that packs into a tiny volume. It needs Infernal Robotics (Rework parts) for the, well, robotics, and the fairing is from Procedural Fairings. I used of TweakScale to get the small wheels, headlight, and RTGs.

The Rascal works great on Kerbin, but it's not worth using on Minmus (only two places I've tested it). I bet it would make a good Duna rover. I might try that tomorrow.

Even though KSP doesn't care, I took the trouble to make sure the legs don't clip through one another while deploying. That required two separate motions, one to twist the legs away from each other, and then the one to swing them down to the ground. Rotation limits are set so that it can be packed back up into "travel mode" after deployment as well.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/g537P/embed"></iframe>

Edited by Tinyboss

Put a rock into orbit round Ike. Then after switching between the ship and the space centre a couple of times, found the ship surrounded by a few pieces of debris - but nothing missing from the ship itself! Mysterious...

Hi all,

I past few days to prepare a Duna's mission.

Here the Main ship, the Kerbol Explorer. As the name indicate, that ship is make for serve as mothership in Kerbol exploration. I make it wiz huge payload capacity, for loading landers inside, and once in dunar (or other place) orbit, wait for their science collection. At 150 days from Dunar transfer window, i plan a general training on minmus and mun, wiz adapted landers. It took several try to put that 192t 972 part in orbit

Kerbin Explorer Main Ship Launch, Try 1 :

99030E02B4B645F3C60A7BF3D7329E7E566457C8

KE launch, try 2:

9627852CB5B60CC24CCB7A3AEDF67D082B4DBC35

Pretty cool sided tanks:

EAF3271F5D21CC62DD3537E720DADECB0EF6C115

KE in orbit, failling to deploy solar arms (too thin...)

A53AD18A48F7063E8A2FCC41EA4671316102460E

At this point, i decide to delete solar arms (300 parts :D) and simplify my launcher as im past 1400 parts at launch, its a bit laggy :D

KE launch, try 3, no solar arms, more simple rocket:

CFA6457F42018760DDF58667B382672989EA5C57

16E67B1038B3E3A07F727D68B2E02BDE343E49F7

6A39C71F473EDBF23ECB52DEB2EDB16563BF72E0

KE is now park at 150 km orbit, waiting for main engines and payload. Scanning ore and Kethane. Jeb and Bill guard the ship

5E497E408446F7CC72592874DDB9001B7A144485

AE3A6014F831055C98A09CD5FD3D803A1615C426

Still on KE assembly, engine on the way

KE Engine blok 1 in orbit

97F19D8351E7165FF7270BEDA5812852151B52A5

KE Engines 1 docking:

537498954CB0A114427B4714A97B4A6F1708E6B8

Jeb's EVA, linking KE and KE launcher for refuelling

C025799766D135975CEDA5AA140F76499F2C4FF8

Jeb flyby the loading bay:

130CC9865BEF0D0D537BF9ACFCFE682FBB000C81

First, empty the KE launcher, just let 300 fuel for desorbitation:

78CA5673DE04725CA30270313AE3BC9B5F81186F

then, desorbit, and empty KE engine 1 launcher :

C968B07712CB7370AAA89A46C6E8B90A26C0F9D6

BE3798B1638668D65F0D26620CA6B643F233625C

Filling the Goodspeed tank, sucking even monoprop :

E488C19B0689493FA0187ECE6C58B3A9A7B5BCBE

Now, Kerbin Explorer is waiting for Engines block 2 and 3, solars power sections, and payload (3 landers). I plan to add a kethane unit (tank and drill on a lander; converter stay on KE), and a small ship that can be use as escape pod

Edited by FacialJack