What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made my first successful spaceplane, that's what I did. Nice 147km-152km equatorial orbit.

Not pictured: Re-entry heating on ascent.

Also not pictured: My failure at choosing the angle of attack, resulting in far too little speed buildup and far too rapid climbing. My intakes died at 25km, while an earlier (but failed, due to forgetting to place the rocket engines) attempt got me an Apo of 80km before the intakes finally gave up at 55km.

Even more not pictured: Earlier attempt at a vertical launch plane that used intakes facing clockwise, then rotating clockwise at a speed of "very fast" to cheat the intake system.

I'm afraid to try to land. 90% of all my plane crashes occur below 3km.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/70124481527567977/080EC3B01882D40D5FE50FBF5760810EED7CBB6E/

To be fair, altimeter notwithstanding, 100% of your crashes occur at 0 km. Go for it m8.

Never hit your space station with the ship you were trying to dock?

Funny you should ask that...

Yesterday I was bringing in my lander/command ship to rendezvous with my Minmus orbital science lab using MechJeb to narrow the encounter to 50m, and as it was braking to match speed I suddenly saw a flash of green lettering and black shape streak across the screen and my ship was sent spinning. I was surprised there was no explosion, but afterwards found one of the lander's engines had been knocked off. There was no damage to the station, and the mission could continue. The lander had earlier taken damage from a hard landing, destroying its lower docking port and landing lights, so it had a hard day; I think it will need to be retired early.

Made some huge progress on my preliminary Mun base.

kr6h4qh.png

The neat thing about this place is, of the modules present, more than half were manufactured completely on site. By the time it is complete, that number will be nearer 90%. :D

Never hit your space station with the ship you were trying to dock?

Honestly in find docking to be similar to plugging things into a usb port. Ram into it, marvel that it didn't break, rotate it so it fits, realize it was the right side up the first time, rotate it back, connect.

Sent another one man lander can mission to Eve's surface near sea level with return ascent. From 31m MSL, I still had 300+dV left after obtaining a 100x100 orbit, so I think I've gone as light as I can. Aerospikes and 48-7S, ftw.

Nothing spectacular today (or rather, yesterday). Just messed around in the spaceplane hangar a little making a relatively simple atmosphere-only plane inspired on my SSTDuna spaceplane design.

Designing the atmosphere-only plane made me realise a few improvements I could make to the original SSTDuna plane. I also realised that with the updates to the RAPIER and nacelles a while back, I could probably vastly improve its performance with some pretty simple design revisions. Might work on that tonight, would be pretty cool if I could transform my SSTDuna into an SSTLaythe.

Especially since I have actually never been to the Jool system. It would be kinda funny if the very first ship to make it out there would be an SSTO spaceplane :P

Sent another one man lander can mission to Eve's surface near sea level with return ascent. From 31m MSL, I still had 300+dV left after obtaining a 100x100 orbit, so I think I've gone as light as I can. Aerospikes and 48-7S, ftw.

Ooooooooooooh eve return landers always intrigue me. What's the weight of your lander?

today i make a Harrier type plane, in two version, cauz the first have too large wings i think

6CFB5106A7EFE4E9602A622FEF57CDEF87839C39

first version

C30E7127AB8FB0033CA310F805FE5DEEB58ECC7D

second version

D6F93D0E67C2D57DFF2BB25D2ADCB40A49B302ED

And so start test and VTOL training

ADAV

18194E6459A39BF502A501CC0BBE9C1A77033C23

0FFD69B634E247C432A91767400AAF94592BB376

VTOL land everywhere !

DBB8A15556E63815719F0BEBE008D328BAD3CF7B

try some precise flight :D, not always wiz success

E43649BDB893C4C478B77F20BA9869AD9AEF70D5

6E9613A62AB18D66C2F1BFD14BF5563F5025CC5C

755E7B0920FE10F7406E7C2539A76ACA3D1E14D2

5D81D7AD069404E92726D984D90CAFCE2E290E14

4CB8759A470444B0603CEFC9AD835596B2CA7E22

4552B895A3AC2F6BB0D76E21A49EE837AB3845B8

2AE8FF958B33931A404CCC810BC940D065E0D3F9

915783E3C6B75E6BA1E476E412E3F8774F59E6F3

and cauz its a nice bird, i put some others pics :D

A88C8F7C4EAFFEFFA53FA0949075E128F835D32B

747853E677CF333FF27AB6B296B32C503785E0D5

Craft here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91472-The-Harrier-a-VTOL-training-plane

Edited by FacialJack

After I downloaded Quantum Struts and Spaceplane Plus yesterday, I experienced crashes. And crashes. And crashes. So today, I ended up replacing my save file with an older one I had copied as a backup two days ago. I hope that will solve the problem. If not, I will have to remove every single of the 30+ mods I have installed one by one.

So yeah, two days of progress lost:(

There you go.. My first and last KSP movie. I'll stick to printscreens from now on (unless anyone misses the photos i used to take with my crap fone), movies are too much of a hassle also I kinda disappointed myself:D

Anyways I did get a lot more respect for all these guys uploading stuff to youtube.. Even the ....ty ones I am not really interested in. So if you're a ....ty one like me: Be proud of yourself :P Edited by WooDzor

There you go.. My first and last KSP movie. I'll stick to printscreens from now on (unless anyone misses the photos i used to take with my crap fone), movies are too much of a hassle also I kinda disappointed myself:D

Anyways I did get a lot more respect for all these guys uploading stuff to youtube.. Even the ....ty ones I am not really interested in. So if you're a ....ty one like me: Be proud of yourself :P

Video is private mate.

Today i tested REALLY small rover designs. I came up with this little thingie... It will be dropped on Duna, prior to the first parts of the Duna Ground Base i am currently planning. Its mission will be, to search for a wide flat landing area for the base.

nlUGGo1.png

While posting this, i noticed, that it misses a searchlight... Hmmm... back to the Spaceplane Hangar then...

[edit] ...and done.

z5hqrHD.png

Edited by Frank_G

How about now?

I can't even get the uploading right.. you see:D

LOL, yup working now. I watched it, and liked it. Good job! That second stage separation was very violent though! :sticktongue:

Oh and swap the lander ladder for the small yellow one.

lol at 4:55 I can hear you breathing! What trickery is this?

Edited by Majorjim

Thanks.

I wonder what happened there.. it used to be fine :-/ It probably has something to do with the latest 24.2 update: for some reason the de-couplers still act funny in 64 bit.

Ah I see, 64bit. Yeah I stopped using it for now. Just until its not so buggy. Speaking of which, cool mun rover!

WooDzor, really nice video. Are the Kerbal voices from a mod or dubbed in? And nice ship too, I'm amazed at how you hid the moon buggy on there, didn't even see it until it was driving around.

Frank_G, that's a pretty neat rover. Do the front wheels get grip being angled like that?

As for me, the Magellan arrived at Laythe.

14980220716_cbb8c13213_o.png

I made a direct aerocapture at Laythe, shedding something like 2 km/s in a white-hot glow, entering a somewhat eccentric and inclined parking orbit. The orbit was deliberate, I did some science and kethane scanning, which I wanted the eccentricity and inclination for respectively. (Besides, circular equatorial orbits are boring). Then aerobraked down to a low orbit ready for landing, I took several passes but still overdid the last one and had to thrust to keep apoapsis above the atmosphere.

Next is to finalise a landing site. I might pick the area around the antimeridian, there's land nearby including a large kethane deposit (never mind that the Magellan doesn't have mining gear!), and it'll offer views of both Jool and the close approaches of Vall and Tylo.