What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Once upon a time ...

Yesterday i recovered accidentaly (i actually think it's a bug in tracking station) my Kerbin space station which was in orbit around Kerbin?! Anyway, i had to set up a new one and so flew a new station into orbit. Needed that anyway since my OS-standards were refined some time ago and the old one was a tad outdated.

Here the new station being released in it's final 110km orbit.

kerbin_einstein_02.jpg

After that i finally brought 4 landers in one turn to my Duna "space train" which was currently also assembled in orbit around Kerbin. Here 2 of them already docked at the new station for Duna while the other 2 still docked in their transport plane.

duna_station_assembly_landers_01.jpg

Finally also the last tanker docked to the Duna space train and refueled all tanks whereever it was necessary. A Leviathan space plane brought a full Kerbodyne S3-14400 fuel tank. The remaining fuel in this tank will be docked to the new Kerbin station tomorrow. The whole assembly in space was put together solely by parts brought by fully recoverable space planes.

refuel_duna_station_01.jpg

Before launch each of the stacked landers got it's own docking spot. This practically finished the assembly of my Duna space train. So it could finally be launched towards it's destination with a 14 minute burn of the 3 heavy tugs that propel the ship.

duna_station_journey_01.jpg

Kerbin fell back quickly after the burn and opened view on Kerbol and the Mun. With this overwhelming view of the Kerbin system the Kerbals are looking forward to finally get to Duna.

duna_station_journey_02.jpg

Which concludes my story for today.

I decided to actually play seriously again.

Successfully got the JAD-6 into orbit, but ran out of fuel to so. Now Bill and Bob are stuck in orbit. I am going to have to send up a refueling tanker to refuel it so I can bring it back down. Jeb was still busy doing interviews about his successful test flight of the F-201 Fighter plane.

KwlHS1u.png

I also got the core and power module for my space station up.

BPUBUEP.png

CRAP!! Landing gear!!

*reverts Duna mission*

Landing gear is for the weak...... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Yesterday President O'Bummer Kerman decided to funnel a few kerbucks back into my space program (i.e. I played seriously last night for the first time in about six months). Tried out the new career mode; I'm enjoying that so far. I got Jeb up into orbit, ran him out of gas with a periapsis in high atmosphere. Still trying to get him down. Did a couple of parts tests too. Trying to remember my preferences for unlocking the tech tree.

Edited by capi3101

I ran afoul of a really (un)fortunate glitch. On my super-modded game I had a really big complicated ship with 70km of deltaV. It is primarily ion powered, and to save funds in career mode I launched it with empty ion tanks, flew it to my Karbonite mine, took FOREVER to convert and fill the tanks, then put it back into orbit of Kerbin to attach a couple landers/satallites for a Jool mission. Just now I accepted a contract to return science data from the space around Kerbin. Easy money, I thought, since this ship was in orbit. I switched to the ship orbiting 1,000Km above kerbin, and it instead recovered the thing! So basically, I lost the craft, all the equipment, all that xenon that I converted and my 95% ready for Jool ship. One more lander and it was done. I could hit all the moons, drop a probe into the atmosphere, and regenerate more fuel from an onboard karbonite mine/refinery while in orbit. On the other hand, I just recovered 15+ million funds worth of xenon, and this ship did have some design problems I figured out before the mission started...

How in the hell did you recover a ship from orbit? o.O

How in the hell did you recover a ship from orbit? o.O

It's a bug in the tracking station. It changes which vehicle gets recovered sometimes. I use to place a flag at the KSC first thing into a new save, well that flag keeps getting recovered in the place o other stuff :(

I couldnt sleep, so i cooked some nice hot tea and continued on my quest to create micronized functional craft. This satellite weighs 840 kg, delivers 13.200 m/s of delta V using an ion drive and has full mapping functionality.

lY4V22u.png

So, what for? Well... two of those satellites, each of them with different scanning equipment, can easily launch to LKO on a single SRB, reducing mission cost to a minimum.

d8bL9CB.png

The SRB makes it two thirds through the atmosphere, then the LFO stage circularizes, deploys the satellites and uses the built in computer core to de-orbit itself. The satellites can reach any point in the Kerbol system on their own. The complete mission including both satellites, launch and transfer stage is brought down to 59.6 k of funds, while delivering useful data, that will help in further missions.

Mods used: Procedural fairings and ScanSAT - No part clipping.

Hey guys! I'm new here. I've been getting comfortable with my ability to explore Kerbal, Mun and Minmus, but today I sought out a bigger challenge: a one man lander to Duna and back!

Ladies and gentlemen, it was a success. It felt great to use manouver nodes at various points to build a effective and efficient flight plan. On my way to Duna I was coming into it from around the back, from underneath, and all wrong. With a few adjustments I fixed myself into a lovely little approach that also used a swing around Ike to slow me down. My only regret was waiting three years to get a decent transfer back to Kerbin. I am certain I could have done better, but this was just an awesome second experience. (My first experience was a probe that missed altogether and is now lost to the stars.)

I tried to tell my fiancee about my space adventure, and she suggested I use a forum instead. Thanks again!

It's a bug in the tracking station. It changes which vehicle gets recovered sometimes. I use to place a flag at the KSC first thing into a new save, well that flag keeps getting recovered in the place o other stuff :(
*Lightbulb appears* Maybe that's where my space station and some flags went! I always wondered how they'd vanished, ended up suspecting Kerbal Alarm Clock.

I thought with the latest version released recently I would run two versions of the game concurrently. One version (0.23.5) is for my ongoing epic mission report, and the other (0.24.2) I thought I'd go back to basics and see if I can actually fly missions without mods and mj.

What I'm learning is that I'm actually learning - flying, staging, good engineering, TWR, weight balance, transfers, returns, circularisation, aero-braking, the lot! Most importantly I'm really enjoying this little aside to my huge missions and loving the career mode, science, and budgeting to make the most efficient craft possible.

Today I flew two missions - one to Eve, one to Duna. I particularly liked this capture of the tiny little return vehicle whisking crew and science off the surface to begin the long (and cramped) journey home.

Wcqg0Xf.png

The other thing I thought today is that running a stock game parts wise will allow me to install some visual beautification mods instead. I might go do that!

I brought the Crew to my munar station. I managed to crash the craft during landing, since I used my (obviously not yet perfect) kOS script and it ended up on a slope and tipped over... The crew survived, but the parts of the ship were scattered all around. Since also the battery was detached from the pod, the crew just had electricity for about 2 hours (well, if the pilots would have used their EVA suits, they would have had enough for about 1 day), and the "landing" site was about 37 km away from the base. Luckily I already had a remote control capable clawed single seat rover ready at the base, so I rushed in order to recharge the crashed pod and to drive the first Kerbal back to the base.

Since driving on the Mun is a huge pain, I decided to ignore my no-quicksave policy for rover missions.

After about 45 minutes of driving (I had to circumnavigate the craters) I finally arrived at the crashed pod. After grabbing it, I realized this:

DwfbxoH.jpg

While the COM was in front of the front wheels, with separated controls for rover wheels and reaction wheels, I could keep the pod lifted... In the end, I was driving back the whole pod to the base. Afterwards I brought a remote controlled ship (the same design that I crashed) to the base, and landed it manually, within 500 meters of the rest of the base, so that the Kerbals can reach it easily on EVA.

Also, I did my first manned Minmus landing for this save. The KR-2L engine was there, since I had a part testing contract for it, landed on Minmus, the same for the toridal aerospikes. Landing the ship with that hugely overpowered engine was quite funny, I had to use the thrust limiter in order to keep it controllable. The best part was the landing site. It was in the midlands, but had the lowlands and the slopes in walking distance.

DT49evN.jpg

Eurobird LIIIVES! She completed her first career mode mission ever, launching a satellite (MADEE) to explore the Mun, as well as collecting crucial data on reentry and crew life support requirements for project Astral Might's second reusable spaceplane.

7PQu7Jv.png

My first "successful" mission to another planet. After completing all my objectives in the Kerbin SOI I thought it was time to go where no Kerbal has gone before. So I went to Eve. I think I've blown nearly all my money on a 1 way mission, but I think it's worth it!

ySTHWnO.jpg

My first "successful" mission to another planet. After completing all my objectives in the Kerbin SOI I thought it was time to go where no Kerbal has gone before. So I went to Eve. I think I've blown nearly all my money on a 1 way mission, but I think it's worth it!

Congratulations! Now hopefully your next big mission will be to build a robotic lander with launch system and get that poor guy home! ;)

Congratulations! Now hopefully your next big mission will be to build a robotic lander with launch system and get that poor guy home! ;)

The mission wasn't actually meant to land on Eve, just do an orbit. But, after spending all that money, I thought I might as well just land. As it is Bill, I will make it my number 1 priority to get him home. Gives me a chance to find more cost effective ways of interplanetary travel.

I like this!

My interplanetary missions are notorious for being one-way trips. Always run out of fuel. :-( So yeah, it was time to get a fuel station in orbit! Figured I'd put it around the Mun as it's pretty easy to get to and far enough outside Kerbin to make it worthwhile. Using a Kethane ground base with a small refueling probe to keep the fuel station topped up.

Pretty simple design, but I'm no pro yet at docking or ksp in general, so I'm pretty proud! Now... to find a spot to fit a docking port on my interplanetary lander.

nD62ftv.jpg