What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

FINALLY got my my lazy ass and put together the Venus mission video. It ended up being 17 minutes long (I've gone insane). Felt the music got a bit obnoxious sometimes but it was really hard to find something that would fit. I think this might be it for my KSP videos. I worked myself into a corner by making this missions bigger and bigger, and I'm not sure I can up this one. I dunno... Manned mission to Mercury maybe?

http://youtu.be/1V_2TmTGjYE

My tolerance for long KSP videos is usually pretty low, but this one kept my attention the whole time. Simply amazing, and despite the realistic solar system retains the kerbal flavor (look at all that wobble!). Well done!

Haven't been on KSP for a while so today I thought [internalmonologuing]YA KNOW WHAT, I'M GONNA GO INTERPLANETARY[/internalmonologuing]

so yeah I went to Duna then mucked around with some more new toys I got from the MONSTER amount of science from the trip. Pics bellooooowwwwww

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As a noob taking my first tentative steps in to space my exploits seem pretty tame compared to many I read on here, however I'm impressed with Jeb's progress this weekend:

Running out of science to do on or around Kerbin Jeb took 3 canisters of goo and a materials lab in to Mun orbit on the very first foray outside Kerbin orbit. This gave enough science to research some important stuff like solar panels and landing struts to enable longer missions.

He then went to Minimus on his next mission, and made the first ever powered landing. He chose to do this not because it was hard, but because Scott Manley said it was easy. His payload of 3 canisters of goo and a materials lab again made an important contribution to science.

He very nearly lost his life in the name of progress on his next mission, to plant a flag on Mun, and perform vital research on the surface with his with 3 canisters of goo and a materials lab. Landing used more fuel than anticipated, leaving him very short for the return trip. Luckily he had enough doughnuts on board to manage a slightly longer return journey, hitting a highly elliptical orbit around Kerbal and aerobraking through 4 orbits to eventually splash down only a few miles for the space centre.

In recognition of his efforts Jeb has been given this evening off but then his task for the rest of the week will be to visit different biomes on Mun and Minimus to conduct further vital research.

He then went to Minimus on his next mission, and made the first ever powered landing. He chose to do this not because it was hard, but because Scott Manley said it was easy. His payload of 3 canisters of goo and a materials lab again made an important contribution to science.

Your Kerbal did better than Sigbald is currently doing. Right now he's in Low Kerbol Orbit for crashing his Minmus lander and losing a bunch of science

I was driving the first few kilometers on my long rover trip back to the munar base. That got boring rather fast, so I decided to try the KIDS preset "FAR -> Real Life" once more, on a new career save... I'm no longer certain that it's completely unplayable, but it's a challenge that'll have to wait until I'm more confident about building monstrously big rockets... I did manage to go to orbit on the third try, but I'm pretty sure, that given the number of failed missions I have in my current "FAR -> Stock KSP" save (mainly due to lack of struts), combined with the huge size and cost of rockets caused by "FAR -> Real Life", I'd run out of funds pretty fast...

So, I'm back to rover driving for now...

Finished principal construction work on Space Station Mere:

fopAtT1.png

She does have a few issues, so I'll be asking the community for some assistance there later this morning. Meantime, I built the reusable science lander designed to accompany the station to grind out Munar science. It's currently en route.

My latest 'tater catcher mission - Too Little Too Late 7 - is also trying to catch up with the second Class E I put into Kerbin orbit at the moment. The mission is hauling autonomous Verner Engine booms and extra fuel to help steer the big sucker, with the goal of getting it into a low, stable equatorial orbit. I still have no idea what I'll do with the thing once it's there, nor do I have an idea of what I'll name it when the time comes...

That was an insane project, an Jupiter mission should be next. More interesting than Mercury.

What is the purpose of the 9 long SRB on the lander, is they just for stability?

The top heat shield is to give aerodynamic stability during decent, it will also shield the living quarter and upper stage during the aerobrakes as an bonus.

The long SRBs are mainly there to look cool, but they do also provide some structural stability during the transfer from Earth to Venus. The thing would wobble even more if they weren't there XD. Now the top shields are actually there to add drag. I mean they provide 90% of the drag, The massive 16 metre procedural heatshield and structure provides the aerodynamic drag of... Well nothing basically. So they are kind of a hack.

My probably most complicated orbital maneuver group yet, including non capture aerobrake.

This just show the end of it.

mGkTnRb.png

I used my medium miner who do part time as heavy tug in the Jool system both to Laythe to explore it before doing two aerobrakes on Jool to do science, in 0.24 you can do even while flying measurements while aerobraking. The problem was that I underestimated the cost of going back to Bop who is both an base and a mining location. In short I needed over 2000 m/s for the burn and 1000 m/s for orbiting and only had 2500 m/s. Time to get creative.

Raising Ap to get an Laythe intercept would let me raise Pe for 900, however I found if I aerobraked just a hair below getting into Laythe orbit it would pull my Ap outside Vall and my Pe just inside Laythe.

Quick test with mechjeb gave me an hohman trajectory to Pol for 550, the plane change would be 200 and orbit less than 500, leaving me enough to land and mine.

Tips for using mechjeb to predict trajectories. mechjeb work default on the last maneuver node so you can put down 0 m/s one after SOI changes to get mechjeb to do calculations.

In this setting it was vital to know the cost of getting to Bop after the Laythe aerobrake, the fallback plan was to wait at Laythe until rescue or go to Vall and use the fuel from the base who is underway to get to Bop so I could fuel up and return to it.

Kind of make the X-wing VTOLSSTO mission to Laythe an sideshow however it will be useful in supplying the upcoming Laythe base.

2PqbgDg.png

Finished principal construction work on Space Station Mere:

She does have a few issues, so I'll be asking the community for some assistance there later this morning. Meantime, I built the reusable science lander designed to accompany the station to grind out Munar science. It's currently en route.

My latest 'tater catcher mission - Too Little Too Late 7 - is also trying to catch up with the second Class E I put into Kerbin orbit at the moment. The mission is hauling autonomous Verner Engine booms and extra fuel to help steer the big sucker, with the goal of getting it into a low, stable equatorial orbit. I still have no idea what I'll do with the thing once it's there, nor do I have an idea of what I'll name it when the time comes...

Weee. Your ring station is finished.

This is a post more like what I am going to do today in KSP.

Last night I started the Deimos (one of two station parts transports) on its way to Duna. It suffers from wobbliness and something is off balance. I have the fuel to circularize at Duna which is ok, but it will take a long time as I have to keep re adjusting since the thrust vector pushes me off aim point.

I intended to send both Deimos and Phobos, but Deimos was ready with just one engine pod and I wanted to see if it would make it. So, the kerbal space program advanced almost 2 years and only half a station worth of parts is at Duna. It is a station just like the one in my Jool pictures some ways back. With minor improvements I have made along the way.

What did I do today? I registered on this beautiful forum and created a hypersonic jet that requires just 50-100m/s Delta-V of rocket fuel to actually achieve a stable orbit :).. I did have to raise the velocity curve of the ramjets (TV Aerospace) up to about Mach-6 but it's more realistic in my opinion

"landed" a base on Duna...at a very high speed. I forgot that hitchhiker cannisters don't do the control thingy so yeah...oops.

Also landed the orbital spaceplane used to deliver the Duna lander on Ike, tried to take off and promptly hit a tiny bump and slammed nose first into the moon at 120 m/s. Protip for newbie pilots: always make sure your moon doesn't have tiny bumps too small for a shadow on the surface

FINALLY got my my lazy ass and put together the Venus mission video. It ended up being 17 minutes long (I've gone insane). Felt the music got a bit obnoxious sometimes but it was really hard to find something that would fit. I think this might be it for my KSP videos. I worked myself into a corner by making this missions bigger and bigger, and I'm not sure I can up this one. I dunno... Manned mission to Mercury maybe?

http://youtu.be/1V_2TmTGjYE

the fairing coming off that landing stage is honestly the most beautiful, clean cut of a discard I have ever seen

I finally managed to drive back to my munar base. Next will be another short rover trip, to the munar canyons, and afterwards the station will be abandoned, at least for now. The reason is, that I don't want to interrupt the construction of my interplanetary communications network for resupply missions.