What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I was initially going to simulate the Apollo 17 mission (because today is AP17's 42nd anniversary), but then some mistakes I made while building the stack made me deplete my RCS/monopropellant supply while on ascent, rendering my command module and Munar lander unable to perform important maneuvers. I did manage to dock, using only main engines (very hard, but made it), but then I realized I would have great difficulty in landing the MM and rendezvous with no monoprop would be painful again. So, I decided to declare it as an APOLLO 13 style mission and used the Munar lander as a "lifeboat" to get my three Kerbals home. And I did make it home.

The moment I realized things were bad, during orbit insertion on the third stage.

screenshot38_zpse3bbcc4d.png

About to swing around the Mun, free-return trajectory figure-8.

screenshot40_zpsa3bf71ed.png

screenshot41_zpsce1e16a6.png

Course correction using the Munar lander. "Align Kerbin with the window..." etc etc.

screenshot42_zps1bb369f1.png

"There's one whole side of that spacecraft missing", Jim Lovell said as the Apollo 13 astronauts got their first view of the damage that had been caused by the explosion, which happened on the real Apollo 13. Here I am simulating an early jettison of the service module, as they did on AP13.

screenshot46_zps4ea6c819.png

"Farewell Aquarius." - Jim Lovell, "She was a good ship." - Fred Haise

screenshot48_zps67795ee8.png

Re-entry.

screenshot54_zpse738e937.png

Splashdown.

screenshot55_zps8f345aa0.png

Mods used, NovaPunch and Procedural fairings.

Edited by rodion_herrera

Finally, after three days, at least five major revisions and countless tweaks, I have a working* Eve lander, along with a landing site (0° 1' 40'' N, 15° 39' 40" W - fairly flat, almost 6 km up, and practically on the equator). Now to stick it on a rocket and send it off.

* well, it worked in the simulator...

Edited by Commander Zoom

Continued with my ring station, sending up two more segments, attempting a lock-and-key type of girder arrangement to help with precise orientation when docking.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-10%20at%205.26.36%20PM.png

It's not really working though, I know that the alignment isn't going to end up exactly precise. Therefore, I shall have to redesign and start over. I will next attempt to use two docking ports on a bicoupler on each end, if both are magnetically locked then the alignment should be perfect. That should happen over the weekend, unless that silly RL thing gets in the way.

Ever since the engine shrouds were introduced in 0.18, I've had an idea for a mod that could let you switch them around. Well I finally took the time and effort to learn C# so I could make it myself. :)

It's nowhere near complete but this is the first fruit of my project.

fQMSgHp.png

t7bVwhY.png

Eventually it'll be able to swap with however many shrouds you want. I only made two for testing.

No point in posting screenshots of it since nothing meaningful has changed, but I've been performing upkeep on my Kethane refining and fueling cycle. I actually managed to all but fully deplete a Kethane deposit (down to 3,000, from a starting point of about 180,000), no small feat. So far it's returned all of about 1.5 orange tanks' worth of LF+O to low Kerbin orbit, which isn't actually too bad. There's enough in the wings for about 2.5 more orange tanks' worth yet to be transferred to LKO in the Mun fuel depot, too (after deducting fuel costs to get said fuel down to LKO, of course). It may not be especially efficient, but it sure is quick compared to bussing all that fuel from Minmus!

Made a N-1 replica.

screenshot212_zps901473a4.png

In flight:

screenshot213_zps1e62fc2d.png

After gravity turn:

screenshot214_zpsfaeb6795.png

Look at that bend! Needless to say, the first few launches were historically accurate. Nearly doubled the part count with struts to make it rigid-ish. Also fixed stage separation issues(overheating the problem parts with sepratrons), locked gimballing on most of the lower stage engines, and added Vernier thrusters.

in my 0.25.2 carrer save i have lander probes and orbit satellites on every body except moho and eeloo... i never did that before. i just added dres (explore dres mission).

now i have to put flags on that... due the fact that i have unlocked the techtree and got 3000science on top, i don't need all the science stuff to plant a flag.

I finally did it. I managed to reach orbit from the surface of Eve.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Most of my ascent was plagued by low TWR, my trajectory was much lower than planned most of the way, and for the longest time I thought I wasn't going to make it. The upper-half asparagus stages seemed to have some rather explosive separation, and the penultimate staging event caused my rocket to pull a 360, but somehow I managed to make it to orbit with a not-too-shabby amount of fuel left for maneuvering.

Also, in case you were wondering why I needed three probe cores, two of them are to simulate the weight of a kerbal.