What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Theres a bit of a trick to efficient rendezvous with MechJeb. First, you want to be in a higher or lower orbit than your target, 25-50km difference is usually sufficient. First set up a Hohmann transfer, do that burn, then do a "fine tune closest approach," and finally "match velocities" at closest approach. Should get you within a couple hundred meters.

I've spent a whole 3 days on rendezvous after reading piles of tutorials, watching videos, twitch streams, revert after revert after revert. I can match the orbits pretty good, and get close (under 1k) but it seems when I match velocities with the craft and start moving closer to it (using rcs and not going crazy), it seems I cant cover any ground and my target starts to get further away. Then out of curiosity I look at the orbital view and the orbits are nowhere near matched. my Ap will suddenly be 100K above the Ap of the target, or I will now be suborbital. 100K/100K equatorial is my usual "holding orbit" *shrug*. Its turned into an aggravation point for me where I just role-play: ok boys, you're in orbit, now take care of the rendezvous. Thats why my "company" went back to demolition, the space thing is just company side hobby. ;) I'll try again eventually but it may be awhile.

While waiting for a return window from Duna, I launched a quick probe to Eve.

eve_probe.jpeg

The probe dropped a weather station to the surface and started pretending to be a relay station in orbit.

eve_weather_station.jpeg

The mission was ridiculously profitable.

Then it was time for the crew to return from Duna. The lander had almost 1500 m/s left as it entered Kerbin's atmosphere, so I decided to check whether it was possible to return it in one piece.

duna_mission_5.jpeg

I'm starting to believe that there is something wrong with my DRE.

Today I made a 0.3125 scale RSS config. Now it is *roughly* the same size as the 3.2x Kerbol system by Gregroxmun. Skies and orbits still need a bit of work though, because the moons aren't in the right place XD . You can use perfectly stock rockets as long as you have FAR or Near installed. Orbital velocity in LEO is about 4.6km/s and takes about 5-5.5km/s dV to get to orbit.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Flew Tanuki's seaplane, Gunther. In FAR.

It flew alright, though you need to co-ordinate your turns, and watch it doesn't develop too much sideslip. The stall speed though is about 65 m/s, which I think is too fast to land it on the ocean. I've not tried reassigning the control surfaces, probably some flaps would help.

Well. Got Kirk Kerman. And did a Mün landing with him having no exp. SAS is not OP seriously:

34460024D4DBBF3D2F164577B4F3FE36E8D205C3

But, doing more land on Minus and then do a quick leave and enter back into Kerbin's SOI to get my Kerbals to 3 stars all the while doing contracts on Kerbin.

I edited my Saturn v and apollo 15 command module so both crafts would be lighter. They now have a twr of 1.7 first stage and 1.2 second stage (Saturn 5), and for the command module Apollo 15 a twr of 3.40 for the descending and a 18.67 for the ascending stage.

Edited by LABHOUSE

A flurry of activity as my station nears completion. A second Tenacity cargo ship brings fresh supplies for the expansion crew scheduled to launch in a few days.

cAirmDc.png

Followed by the secondary lab module. This shot just came out really cool.

NdejmTc.png

Once the lab was delivered, a SciPod brings up a Station Science experiment. Not real happy with this design, since I can't seem to replicate it for the other experiments. Something clipping wrong somewhere.

SVglbnv.png

The S7a screw was scheduled to launch shortly after this, but there was a significant launch anomaly. The crew aborted safely, but everything was put on hold for a few weeks until the problem could be identified and resolved. This was the second launch failure of a MUL/Colossus to date. After some more refinements, the S7b crew of Gregzer, Shelvis, and Billy-Bobford made an uneventful launch to orbit.

e3WAT8p.png

Their cargo is a second docking adapter with KAS containers.

r6vLhdT.png

This was also the first manned flight of the updated MUL+ design. Rendezvous was nominal, the crew docked their adapter to the forward nadir port and got used to their new home for the next six months. This brings the station to its intended crew of 6 Kerbals.

UunVKcc.png

Shortly after that, the final module arrives, the zoology lab.

couknYF.png

This marks station completion. But this is also when the wobble monster decided to rear its ugly head. I always fly my stations with positive attitude control relative to the ground, not just randomly floating around. Unfortunately, having a 70 ton segment only connected by a standard docking port doesn't work well. With attitude control on the station will wobble around like a bunch of noodles until it comes apart. I'd managed to avoid it up till now, but a real solution was needed.

couknYF.png

I also needed a more reliable experiment return ship, and what came out was the Wyvern-class mini cargo ship. It has enclosed storage for a small 1.25 meter payload that can be returned to Kerbin, two KAS racks, and plenty of fuel and power.

MSxWFug.png

I was quite happy to find that the Quantum Struts mod had been adopted and was now properly updated. Wyvern-1 brought up 20 of them to fix this limp biscuit. Here, Gregzer is negotiating the drifting (currently upside-down) station placing the Qstruts.

p5Xu4OT.png

After that, there was time for testing a new safety tether system from Active Struts.

bkYyL2R.png

And this is the final product. Over 200 tons on orbit, standard crew compliment of six with life support recycling for up to 9 if needed. Between lag and wobble I've bout hit the limit of what I can do with it for now, but I'm damn proud of how it turned out. The lag is annoying but still playable. Every previous multimodule station I've made I've had to abandon because the lag either became to much or they noodled themselves into oblivion. I've about maxed the tech tree at this point, but the Station Science contracts are lucrative enough this station should be able to fund anything else, until I decide to jump into .90.

OFy12VD.png

Some glamour shots:

SDhniYh.png

La79FoQ.png

PzVphQC.png

gWg59FN.png

MacBrrrrrrrrrrree Kerman from S6 mugging for the hullcam:

qVVFT6R.png

Now that I've hit this milestone, I think maybe it's time I developed a proper heavy-lift LV and retuned to the Mün or Minmus. I think a 10-meter base should be a good starting point.:cool:

Today I made crudely drawn custom flags for my idea of separating planets of Kerbol as sovereign states.

The United Moons of Jool's one is by far my favourite. Maybe I'll make one for each moon.

DwxipGc.png

I'll probably change surnames for my residents. For example, citizens of Laythe will probably have a name like Dreidos Laythemore, or Frosen Eelan if a citizen of the Eccentric Republic of Eeloo.

Edited by Janos1986

Been busy with school and work but finally made some time to work on a few ideas, first one is building a station primarily in EVA with KAS. If it can be stored in a container than it is, after it reaches orbit the kerbals have to put it together themselves piece by piece. r1DQUz6.jpg This has taken some time to do with a total of three launches.

I worked on my long-term 0.25 (before the new biomes!) project of performing and recovering every possible experiment in a single stock launch. This project, which has gone through several total revamps and changes in scope, has been pretty much all that I've done in KSP for about a year (I can only play intermittently during breaks from college, though).

So far, I've finished the Sun, Duna, Ike, Dres, Jool, Laythe, Vall, Tylo, Bop, Pol, and Eeloo. 247 experiments done so far! I think I have enough gas left for the rest of the planets and my Eve lander was thoroughly tested before launch, so I'm cautiously optimistic. After the planets are done, it's time for a load of biome-hopping on the Mun and Minmus. Then, in the part I'm most dreading, I'll be taking a couple of big science planes (launched to orbit with the rest) around Kerbin's biomes. The hard part is getting both splashed and landed experiments done in all the biomes. I hope it all works out :) I'll certainly write about it here if/when I finish.

For a sneak preview, here's my payload in orbit after launch:

http://imgur.com/a/Yy5X0#1

And one of my favorite moments so far, the bat.... crazy flying Jool EVA:

http://imgur.com/a/Yy5X0#0

Edited by a2soup