What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Maybe its a simple thing for you all but I managed to freaking perform 4 temperature measures in the Mun in 4 different places, and of course, all of them below the 10k meters of the Mun surface. It took me a bit but I manged to do it in one run without landing anytime ( original plan was land in each zone and just fly back up and get the data)

Hard game is hard

Its supposed to be a complete space observatory, a 12M telescope (3 mirror visible) with 3 radiotelescopes and 3 Xray/GRB Ttelescopes (styled after chandra). The MK3 crew transport seconds as data analysis and the seat of the 3rd mirror. Jeb is stationed in a Capola module on top for steering and directional.

Most of the mods are scale mods of stock parts, exceptions are mech jeb. the exception are the girders used for the radio and xray observatories.

2gONVOA.jpg

Experimenting with super low TWR ships:

16513527241_2bb1db3b52_o.png

Took my heaviest command module, added some xenon, and a single ion engine. It's making steady progress raising its orbit, at about a 1200x900 now I'm posting this.

Not the kind of thing I'd want to fly all the time, nut it is a proof of concept. Maybe I can get to the Mun or something.

I saw that my Duna transfer window was just around the corner, and I'd parked a very simple probe in orbit waiting for its day to transfer. Then I figured I'd be more Kerbal, and rather than my first encounter with Duna being unmanned, I'd send every Kerbanaut currently in my employ. So Bill, Bob and Jeb rounded up 15 more Kerbals and kludged together the "Miss Stella Duna".

She comes with 4 unamnned mini lander science probes and a Dunar lander with a dry mass of around 39t. Fully fuelled she's kicking out around 6k DV from the four nukes, and the lander's carrying around 3k DV. Threw up a fuel station - at an astronomical cost a few days ago - figured it was time to use it. She doesn't do well with docking, especially with the uh launch stage still attached. Overengineered it and mostly took fuel from there. But had to dock, out of principle, and replenish the 1,000 units of monopropellant I used...

Four Kerbal days before I find out what I forgot... In the meantime I now need to build some sort of 18 Kerbal shuttle to bring them back down to Kerbin. But they're gonna be a while headed to Duna... Actually 20, there's still two poor chaps stuck on the Mun. Er, doing science on the Mun.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I decided to tackle the one last thing I really haven't mastered* and tried to design and fly some planes in FAR.

After 2 hours (and countless dead Kerbals) I gave up.

*Okay "master" is a strong term. More accurately, it's the one thing I still can't even start to do at all.

wait, you have a flying roid in your sig, but you can't pull off spaceplanes? just start simple and keep CoL behind CoM

wait, you have a flying roid in your sig, but you can't pull off spaceplanes? just start simple and keep CoL behind CoM

If you think I flew that in FAR, you're crazier than I am for even trying it in stock :D

And trust me I've got simple down pat. Every single thing on the plane is necessary just to fly and yes, col is behind com.

I just need to watch and read a dozen tutorials and find out exactly what I'm doing wrong. Because whatever it is, I've been doing it wrong since the very first time I ever installed FAR.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Jeb and some friends took a trip to the moon to test the Kerbodyne KR-2L in Münar Orbit:

screenshot75_zpsxmoloo24.png

Liftoff!

screenshot77_zpsvdctnp5i.png

It was at this point I knew I had screwed up. Time to abort?

screenshot78_zpse50wt8gz.png

Jeb says NOPE! Let's do this thing!

screenshot79_zps1ojgfrm9.png

Arrival in Low Münar Orbit. Test of KR-2L is successful. Time to try and land.

screenshot80_zpsnsx2vadq.png

Since my VTOL engine scheme was FUBAR, I have to try and land the old fashioned way. When I get close to the ground, I'll have to flip into a horizontal position to try and land on my landing gear. Let's see how that goes....

screenshot81_zpsvbwvtii1.png

Not too well. At this point things have gone all pear-shaped.

Look! A Mk.3 Unicycle!

screenshot83_zpskbtmoxdo.png

screenshot84_zpsqdhgvmnz.png

screenshot85_zpshsppwldw.png

Even Jeb has lost his composure.

screenshot86_zpsf5pl98ju.png

That was close.

screenshot91_zpswnmx70pr.png

Jeb celebrates a successful* landing.

*A successful landing is any landing you can walk away from.

Edited by Sidereus

I decided to tackle the one last thing I really haven't mastered* and tried to design and fly some planes in FAR.

After 2 hours (and countless dead Kerbals) I gave up.

*Okay "master" is a strong term. More accurately, it's the one thing I still can't even start to do at all.

I will dedicate a few hours to this tomorrow - whenever I manage to get something from runway to orbit I have no clue what I did differently than the countless times I made ocean-darts ... :P

So, this is what I did in KSP today: made one last round of updates for my mods, zipped the whole game onto a stick for the weekend and will copy it to the PC of my significant other who will be at work for some hours tomorrow.

May Aeolus, Njord, Stribog, Amun, Enlil, Ehecatl, Shinatobe, Fei Lian, Tawhirimatea and Vayu have merci ... maybe I should make some offerings in the form of chocolate by digesting it in full devotion of them? :sticktongue:

Got my second LR relay in the Joolian system (I play with RemoteTech) just to discover that both of the relays lack any sensible array for in-system communications.

Next mission will include some fuel for the first relay (which is a full blown station to kill the communication delay) and an extra part to add some better dishes to it.

The second LR relay is also scanning down Pol (or is it Bop?) with everything it has (SCANsat + Karbonite Detector).

So, my second next mission to the Joolian system which will be a surface base on Pol (or Bop, dammit) to earn me some more cash (NFT parts are killing my budget!).

I also need to get my converter stack on Minmus (4x distiller + 1x converter) to get everything going. The last converter had some design issues and I had to scrap it (blow it up). The converter also had a big drill but I decided to split the extraction and the conversion to two ships. I've got work to do.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

More testings and modifications for my reusable interplanetary booster. Nothing follows.

2w0JlsU.jpg

Yeah, achievements/accomplishments are nothing. You can never be a pro KSP player if you haven't launched a spaceplane into orbit and landed back safely to kerbin* :D

*of course I'm just kidding.

Didn't have much time to play last night. Did a re-design of my earlier Evening Dove 7 Kerbal rescue plane; failed to make orbit on account of insufficient oxidizer. I remember that was the issue it had when I first designed it back when I still had the Level 1 SPH, and I didn't fix it then for the same reason I didn't fix it last night - I needed to have a Mk2 Rocket Fuel tank for the fuselage instead of a Mk2 Liquid Fuel tank, and every last damn thing on the plane is attached to that single piece (including the exquisitely fine-tuned RCS ports). Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it. Meantime I designed a new rescue craft - the Twilight Dove 7 - on account of the fact that I'd forgotten I had a perfectly good rescue plane already (I've also run out of the names of real "doves" at this point, so I had to start making stupid crap up - I should really go back to naming my craft after nuclear weapons tests). Tweaked it a bit, got it to orbit, bedtime. Will conduct the rescue tomorrow if I get a chance; I'd say tonight except this evening is when me and the missus are observing Valentine's Day...

I hope the guy I pick up is a Scientist. I've got 4 pilots, a slew of engineers...but only Bob and one other scientist. I'm also not seeing a whole lot of new recruits in the astronaut building, despite my rep being up there a good ways.

Didn't do anything more with the Vampire Bat 7 mission last night; Jeb and Bob are still en-route to Mun at the moment. Will let y'all know how that whole thing turns out.