What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today, I'm trying to figure out why I ever thought putting a space station in this orbit around Minmus was a good idea...

IKiypqu.png

For anyone interested enough in my rather boring space programme, Valrys-1,2 and 3 are Munar and Minmati (correct word?) satellites, SIMPLE satellite is a filed attempt that is slowly dragging intself into Kerbin oblvion, SS Artemis is my Kerbin space station, and Cub and Bear are still-on-the-drawing-board spaceplanes. The Minmus Orbital Station is the weirdly inclined station, and I'm attempting to dock a refueller module with it, but it's proving extremely hard to get the two orbits to even share the same orbit...

Apologies if I've used any scientific terms incorrectly, I'm still very new to the game and to the application of physics in space. Thanks!

I built a space station earlier in the week, and it mysteriously combusted . . . something to do with time warp, a lot of struts, and maybe the use of a cupola. I was trying to dock with a new module, an observation section with 4 cupolas. Anyway, last night I rebuilt, and added to, the fuel and energy section . . .

xSVHUIZ.jpg

cgSU0p8.jpg

. . . working on the crew section tonight . . .

See, that station is "a bit much". As an aficionado of "a bit much", I have to say, well done! That station is high quality "a bit much"!

#EDIT: The Mk2 should have four solar cell modules, twelve fuel modules, six crew modules, four RCS modules, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, it's completely over the top. It's becoming a challenge to see just how much I can hang on it . . . and the solar panels on the fuel tanks make for great docking obstacles. I've gotten pretty good at rendezvous and docking just getting this much together.

I finally finished my monster truck Kethane excavator and landed it on the Mun !

well, actually this is the second time, the other time I figured out that the Kethane drilling rigs were too high off the ground so had to abort that rover

so thanks to some Infernal Robotics and the sliding rail, we now have a fully adjustable deck of four drills ready to roll

Jeb is happy in his green gas cloud ! :)

21ty.jpg

Edited by Spock_Kerbin

I love monster builds!

VIEQl60.png

If I manage this correctly, this lander will be able to land on any moon and some planets. It will be able to refuel and then go on to the next site. And hardest of all, it will return and land safely at the KSP.

There will be no chutes. No bugout modules. Just this thing. Picture from the leg sproingness test run.

The last unit of my current flotilla to Duna, despite being the 1st to leave, finally arrived 5 weeks behind the leader. It aerobraked uneventfully into a 146km orbit where it set up shop. Before long, the 1st tanker arrived from Ike, where it had been patiently waiting for the past month, and 16000 barrels of Kethane got converted into LFO before the sun went down.

55478QF.jpg

From left to right, you have Tug Ike, Ike Rig No. 1, the KethLab MotherShip Tug, the KethLab, the MotherShip, and Tug MotherShip. Combined, they're the longest thing I've yet had in space. All but the last 2 were launched separately.

Of note is that heaving this thing around with just reaction wheel torque, with solar panels furled as shown here, did NOT exhaust the electricity, nor did it produce any wobble despite all the docking port joints being totally unstrutted.

Returned my Jool system samples to Kerbin.

Se0qmUZ.jpg

Sample return is an pretty fun mod.

Here is an close up of the lander during decent.

GtxWSSF.png

The cylinders who look like 45 liter fuel tanks is for the samples. miscalculated a bit by placing Laythe water and rock on one side and the atmospheric samples on the other. so I had to add an balance patch below, two 45 liter fuel tanks and an sas torque module.

The lander is the Tylo lander upper stage who is reused for Kerbin return.

I flew an unmanned mission to test the Legacy MkI orbiter and got a lot of useful info from it. It mostly taught me how to land the thing. Previous orbiters had large delta wings and canards so i usually came in at a shallow angle. The Legacy MkI however flies like a brick and I must come in at a steep angle and pull up just before landing, kinda like the real space shuttle.

Imgur album

Also I forgot to take pictures of the launch vehicle but those will come soontm.

I built a space station earlier in the week, and it mysteriously combusted . . . something to do with time warp, a lot of struts, and maybe the use of a cupola. I was trying to dock with a new module, an observation section with 4 cupolas. Anyway, last night I rebuilt, and added to, the fuel and energy section . . .

-snip-

. . . working on the crew section tonight . . .

I love monster builds!

-snip-

If I manage this correctly, this lander will be able to land on any moon and some planets. It will be able to refuel and then go on to the next site. And hardest of all, it will return and land safely at the KSP.

There will be no chutes. No bugout modules. Just this thing. Picture from the leg sproingness test run.

A powerful computer you guys must have.

Moved KSP to steam yesterday, first time in space. (Not in a scenario/training thingy) Still haven't made a craft with orbital capabilities not using Mechjeb.

bboDzEb.png

Re-entry.

X9gl9W3.png

Gonna go play more now...

Started putting together a Mir replica as described in the wiki. Trying to cleanse my palette from all the work I've been doing on Apollo-style missions (numbers say that what I have should work, yet it doesn't). Got all the Mir modules designed (using Srs. instead of normal clampotrons, though), got the Core Module up and added Kvant-1 and Kvant-2. Kristall's up next.

Note to whoever wrote those tutorials - those designs don't include any sort of command module as they're written down. I use RGUs and the huge battery banks to compensate but it was still a good thing I quicksaved before final docking on Kvant-1...first time, I cut it loose with the solar panels still folded up, and the battery bank was on the booster...

I'm just starting out. I try to look at what NASA did to set myself goals to gather needed skills. After a series of unmanned probes for getting the whole orbital navigation thing under control (and to prepare for landing an the Mun and Minmus of course!) I now moved on to my "Mercury" program with manned (Kerballed?) flight. Here's a shot of Mercury-4 and Mercury-5 side by side. Bill and Bob (Jebidiah was recovering from a landing in mountainous terrain) then decided for a little EVA and switched seats.

Imagine the surprise the recovery crew of Mercury-5 had when it was Bill and not Bob who they encountered!

p1614061974-2.jpg

I both "successfully" stranded :( Bill, Bob, and Jeb next to the Neil Armstrong memorial on the Mun (Their lander toppled over on touchdown and the engine section broke off), and then successfully rescued them :D with a swift extraction mission that brought them back to Kerbin safely.

Pretty good day, I'd say!

I decided to pay around some more with kethane this week. I've mapped Kerbin (almost completely) and the Mün partially and so I decided to give mining a go. I built my first robotic kethane miner and managed to land it right smack in the middle of a deposit on the Mün, on the very first try (didn't even have to quicksave/quickload - yay, me).

screenshot86_zps2ad22d49.png

I managed to land on the 15º slope of a crater wall without tipping over or sliding, and then deployed the kethane drill.

screenshot88_zps0d31ec43.png

screenshot91_zpse3464afe.png

screenshot93_zps5cb69748.png

So now I've filled a 1,000 unit kethane tank. My next step will be to launch a refinery/fuel depot station into low Münar orbit, and then dock my miner to that for transfer of kethane and refueling. Fun stuff. :)

Started a new universe as my old one was just going wrong. Took a Kerballed trip to the Mun to place a flag for my new Mun habitat and drop a rover off to do some rock analysis. Managed to lose Bill, Bob & Jeb after accidentally decoupling the capsule during liftoff from the Mun. :/