What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I needed to cheat a little bit and add some considerable lift to my nose cone, so the CoL would be close enough to the CoM. But unfortunately, this shuttle design wouldn't work in any other way in KSP with NEAR.

BUT ANYWAY! It works awesomely now! I can pull the nose up during final approach and do gentle touchdowns!

890b51e94a.png

55f2e37993.png

I'm happy. Now, time to master those reentries. :cool:

After a long hiatus in space missions, the kerbal empire has returned to space. They have redesigned just about everything. No longer do we send cargo into orbit fighting the reverse pendulum problem. The standard large permanent station has been redesigned and Eilat Station is now the first to be rebuilt using the new parts. More space for more kerbals, less wasted material. Much more stable in orbit.

A new feature of the construction tug came in handy just before posting. I needed to dock the large fuel storage tank to the fueling port of the station docking section but had no extra docking ports to use as a hitch. I used the claw to move a space craft part for the first time and it held steady. Previously this had only been used to grab those roughly spherical lumps of grey that sometimes come close to kerbin.

I'd take some screenshots but for some reason nothing is working. F12, F1 none of the usual suspects.

I started working on a 2 stage eve ascent rocket. It is made of one mun ssto, and a minmus ssto, stacked on top of each other, will be fully reusable in the next update (It will need to be refueled from resources, but still).

Descended a mountain with a train as part of the Elcano Challenge - it could have went horribly...thankfully it didnt..

ive got to stop climbing mountains with my train.. going up is generally ok... she either does or doesnt....

going down however.. thats another story.. she either does.. intact... or does.. in peices..

heavy use of dynamic brakes were called for.. poor 4408 with her single remaining generator.. one of two.. she overheated half way down and had to be shut down momentaryly while cooling took effect.. it all ended well though :) and onward to the horizon..

it wasnt the longest run in the world.. but the most terrifying.. all that effort for less than 1km.. and a thousand to go

Oh, I did plenty of stuff today. Let's start with Eve, since everyone knows purple is my favourite colour(not really, it's an ill-known fact actually):

I sent a rover(nicknamed "The Wheeled Pill" after its appearance) to do a small exploration around its' western coast area. Granted, it's on Sandbox so no actual science is being gained, but to heck with it, I like to play pretend. I forgot to strut the two wheel trusses, but fortunately Eve's not on a bad mood right now, so beyond the rover's wheels driving into themselves causing it to do a 90° horizontal flip and stop, it is driving perfectly and nothing broke at all*.

ZZAIaHA.png

(* Actually, yes, a lot of stuff broke. Turns out my rover's parts were touching Eve's ground causing them to destroy themselves. I got so angry due to my wasted effort that I HyperEdited a safer version of it into Eve's surface. Which is why, if you squint really hard, you can see that the parachutes have not been opened.)

But alas, I'm juggling my Eve (non)circumnavigation with a Duna base that I want to complete before 1.0 rolls out, so I kinda lost interest in the rover in favour of the base. Here, you can see one of the two crewed vessels - Sarnus 2A - doing a rather short flyby around Ike. Most people say Ike is a jerk who botches your Duna aerobrake route. But now, Ike has actually gave me a small aid in pushing my periapsis above Duna's ground, avoiding a collision course. Good boy, Ike!

byU6I4q.png

And let's not forget about my Duna Space Station. I thought it would be ludicruously hard to leave it in a flat, mostly-circular orbit around Duna, but it actually behaved itself. It contains a fairly big stash of fuel(well, as long as you don't use it to refuel a Whackjob-type vessel), space for 13 Kerbals(consisting of three Hitchhikers and one cupola), two long-range antennaes and a whopping 16 docking ports(14 normal-size, 4 junior-size, plus one obstructed senior-size). You must be thinking, that must've been sent to orbit by a monster of a rocket.

Kl9vXpC.png

And indeed, I had to split it in two launches to be able to get it to even Kerbin orbit, breaking my "one-launch" policy, sadly. Alas, the Senior docking ports vehemently refused to dock for whatever reason(do decouplers damage docking ports?), so once again I had to HyperEdit the whole station into the orbit the two modules previously were. Hey, stop looking at me that way, I launched both of them legitimately, did the rendezvous and got them within docking range. It's not cheating if the game decides to glitch out!

Anyway, in order to tow that station around, I used a tug powered by four Jumbo-64 tanks with mainsails underneath each, with a central X200-16 fuel tank(which pumps fuel into the radial ones with fuel lines). I used Mainsails because I expected the station to be really hard to push, but turns out the Mainsails were really overpowered. I thought I'd be better off with Skippers or even Poodles, but little did I know that these Mainsails came to help me later.

After getting the station into Medium Duna Orbit, the boosters were mostly only there to cover five of the station's docking ports and to create more lag(of which the station's already guilty of causing some). I decided to yank it out of the station, but I realized that, in my rush to get the station to Duna, I forgot to add any type of solar panel or batteries to the boosters despite attaching excessive ammounts of reaction wheels to it, leaving me with rapidly-decreasing 30 units of eletricity at most. I'd normally leave the booster in orbit, but it could be a danger to the station and to docking vessels. I had to land it. Fortunately, on my side I had not one, but four energy-producing Mainsails, and around 2k m/s of Delta-V to burn. So I had to engage on a little game of retro-burning myself into a completely vertical, fuel-inneficient way of descent into Duna's surface, and occasionally burn retrograde to refill my energy meter.

Needless to say, it was really tense(and annoying, but mostly tense).

CgXNz8w.png

The landing was... less than perfect, since I ran out of energy just as I was about to make touchdown. But hey, nothing exploded, and as everyone says, any landing you can walk away from counts as a landing! (Well, no Kerbals were aboard the booster, so you can't exactly "walk away" from it, but you get it.)

...the view is amazing, though:

ehfAlVg.png

With five docking ports cleared up, I took Sarnus 2A into an aerobrake trajectory and later circularized it into Low Duna Orbit. But apparently, you cannot warp faster than 10x under 60km. Really? Note to self: Make Sarnus 2B arrive in an orbit above 60km. Nevertheless, I proceeded to rendezvous and dock with the new station. I expected rendezvous to be incredibly hard, like it always was, but it was actually really easy! I guess I'm just getting better at KSP.

Docking, on the other hand, was hell. I almost crashed into the station twice - first, when I was matching velocity, I couldn't see the station's marker for some reason, so I didn't know where it was, and it took me by surprise when it arrived and approached fast, and I had Nuclear Engines, thus thrust was kinda weak(Anmund and Jonfal were flipping their hairs out, yet the pilot, Dancott, was just stoic. That's some Jebediah-level badassery there!) - second, when I was matching myself with one of the docking ports, my ship was performing sluggishly, and I almost wiped out the station's solar panels as I tried to figure if I needed to burn prograde or retrograde to stand still relative to the station - but, after a lot of tense moments, I managed to dock. Good think I got rid of the boosters, since the rear docking port was the easiest to attach the ship to.

For some reason, whereas most people imagine a "click!" sound when docking, I imagine a "pluck." one instead. I guess I'm just different. Either way, here you can see the station with Sarnus 2A docked to it, alongside its crew.

BWwII0p.png

Such adventures, and yet I'm not even halfway done with the base. Still got to intercept the two Duna rovers(one for exploration and science, another for carrying fuel), Sarnus 2B(which carries the other three crew), and Overwatch 2(using SCANsat to map Duna's surface and anomalies). We'll see if more exciting things will happen. For now, I'll tune out.

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

Oh, I did plenty of stuff today. Let's start with Eve, since everyone knows purple is my favourite colour(not really, it's an ill-known fact actually):

I sent a rover(nicknamed "The Wheeled Pill" after its appearance) to do a small exploration around its' western coast area. Granted, it's on Sandbox so no actual science is being gained, but to heck with it, I like to play pretend. I forgot to strut the two wheel trusses, but fortunately Eve's not on a bad mood right now, so beyond the rover's wheels driving into themselves causing it to do a 90° horizontal flip and stop, it is driving perfectly and nothing broke at all*.

http://i.imgur.com/ZZAIaHA.png

(* Actually, yes, a lot of stuff broke. Turns out my rover's parts were touching Eve's ground causing them to destroy themselves. I got so angry due to my wasted effort that I HyperEdited a safer version of it into Eve's surface. Which is why, if you squint really hard, you can see that the parachutes have not been opened.)

Eve may be evil, but the one thing that works great there are rovers.

And, speaking of the violet monster, I've finally did my last landing and takeoff from Eve before 1.0, after testing some six different models. It did work. Kind of. Well, Georff Kerman is safe inside a different ship now, after taking a walk on Eve's surface - that should be good enough

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by juanml82

Did a quick Eve, Duna, Jool, and Ike probe mission.

Sent 3 probes, one to Eve, one to Jool and one to the Duna system. I could've returned the Duna one but the "Explore..." contracts are worth more especially with the 5% credits->science

http://i.imgur.com/ZZAIaHA.png

But alas, I'm juggling my Eve (non)circumnavigation with a Duna base that I want to complete before 1.0 rolls out, so I kinda lost interest in the rover in favour of the base. Here, you can see one of the two crewed vessels - Sarnus 2A - doing a rather short flyby around Ike. Most people say Ike is a jerk who botches your Duna aerobrake route. But now, Ike has actually gave me a small aid in pushing my periapsis above Duna's ground, avoiding a collision course. Good boy, Ike!

http://i.imgur.com/byU6I4q.png

And let's not forget about my Duna Space Station. I thought it would be ludicruously hard to leave it in a flat, mostly-circular orbit around Duna, but it actually behaved itself. It contains a fairly big stash of fuel(well, as long as you don't use it to refuel a Whackjob-type vessel), space for 13 Kerbals(consisting of three Hitchhikers and one cupola), two long-range antennaes and a whopping 16 docking ports(14 normal-size, 4 junior-size, plus one obstructed senior-size). You must be thinking, that must've been sent to orbit by a monster of a rocket.

http://i.imgur.com/Kl9vXpC.png

And indeed, I had to split it in two launches to be able to get it to even Kerbin orbit, breaking my "one-launch" policy, sadly. Alas, the Senior docking ports vehemently refused to dock for whatever reason(do decouplers damage docking ports?), so once again I had to HyperEdit the whole station into the orbit the two modules previously were. Hey, stop looking at me that way, I launched both of them legitimately, did the rendezvous and got them within docking range. It's not cheating if the game decides to glitch out!

Anyway, in order to tow that station around, I used a tug powered by four Jumbo-64 tanks with mainsails underneath each, with a central X200-16 fuel tank(which pumps fuel into the radial ones with fuel lines). I used Mainsails because I expected the station to be really hard to push, but turns out the Mainsails were really overpowered. I thought I'd be better off with Skippers or even Poodles, but little did I know that these Mainsails came to help me later.

After getting the station into Medium Duna Orbit, the boosters were mostly only there to cover five of the station's docking ports and to create more lag(of which the station's already guilty of causing some). I decided to yank it out of the station, but I realized that, in my rush to get the station to Duna, I forgot to add any type of solar panel or batteries to the boosters despite attaching excessive ammounts of reaction wheels to it, leaving me with rapidly-decreasing 30 units of eletricity at most. I'd normally leave the booster in orbit, but it could be a danger to the station and to docking vessels. I had to land it. Fortunately, on my side I had not one, but four energy-producing Mainsails, and around 2k m/s of Delta-V to burn. So I had to engage on a little game of retro-burning myself into a completely vertical, fuel-inneficient way of descent into Duna's surface, and occasionally burn retrograde to refill my energy meter.

Needless to say, it was really tense(and annoying, but mostly tense).

http://i.imgur.com/CgXNz8w.png

The landing was... less than perfect, since I ran out of energy just as I was about to make touchdown. But hey, nothing exploded, and as everyone says, any landing you can walk away from counts as a landing! (Well, no Kerbals were aboard the booster, so you can't exactly "walk away" from it, but you get it.)

...the view is amazing, though:

http://i.imgur.com/ehfAlVg.png

With five docking ports cleared up, I took Sarnus 2A into an aerobrake trajectory and later circularized it into Low Duna Orbit. But apparently, you cannot warp faster than 10x under 60km. Really? Note to self: Make Sarnus 2B arrive in an orbit above 60km. Nevertheless, I proceeded to rendezvous and dock with the new station. I expected rendezvous to be incredibly hard, like it always was, but it was actually really easy! I guess I'm just getting better at KSP.

Docking, on the other hand, was hell. I almost crashed into the station twice - first, when I was matching velocity, I couldn't see the station's marker for some reason, so I didn't know where it was, and it took me by surprise when it arrived and approached fast, and I had Nuclear Engines, thus thrust was kinda weak(Anmund and Jonfal were flipping their hairs out, yet the pilot, Dancott, was just stoic. That's some Jebediah-level badassery there!) - second, when I was matching myself with one of the docking ports, my ship was performing sluggishly, and I almost wiped out the station's solar panels as I tried to figure if I needed to burn prograde or retrograde to stand still relative to the station - but, after a lot of tense moments, I managed to dock. Good think I got rid of the boosters, since the rear docking port was the easiest to attach the ship to.

For some reason, whereas most people imagine a "click!" sound when docking, I imagine a "pluck." one instead. I guess I'm just different. Either way, here you can see the station with Sarnus 2A docked to it, alongside its crew.

http://i.imgur.com/BWwII0p.png

Such adventures, and yet I'm not even halfway done with the base. Still got to intercept the two Duna rovers(one for exploration and science, another for carrying fuel), Sarnus 2B(which carries the other three crew), and Overwatch 2(using SCANsat to map Duna's surface and anomalies). We'll see if more exciting things will happen. For now, I'll tune out.

Why do people say Ike messes up their orbits!? When going to Duna, Ike acts as if it doesn't exist!

Continuing after where I left off, I undocked Sarnus 2A from the DSS and landed on the Duna Base Site. I totally did not end up messing my landing trajectory and slamming too hard at Duna's surface to the point of breaking the 2A's engine and stranding the crew, requiring a quickload. Not at all.

In order to prevent lag(of which the base already has more than enough), the 2A landed 2.9km away from the base. Dancott radioed the crew from Sarnus 1, who sent their rover to pick up the newcomer crew. Unfortunately, the rover has only two seats, whereas the 2A carries three astronauts. So Jonfal, being the third member, had to ride on a ladder installed by Anmund(the first female Kerbal to step on the surface of Duna!) on the back of the rover.

GK4SjMW.png

Poor Jonfal. At least he enjoyed the ride.

7DY0fD9.png

Eventually, the rover reached the base, and the crewmen from both Sarnus 1 and Sarnus 2A celebrated by singing the National Anthem of the United Nations of Kerbin.

PPz3xkq.png

Afterward, Jonfal and Bartdred, the two scientists of the crew, headed to the science laborotory seen in the picture's background and processed samples acquired by the crew of Sarnus 1, which couldn't be processed before as they only had one scientist. Now, they eagerly await the arrival of Duna Rover 2, Duna Fuel Rover, the Overwatch 2 satellite, and the crew of Sarnus 2B.

Eve may be evil, but the one thing that works great there are rovers.

Exactly, my rovers have much more grip on Eve than they could ever have on Duna.

Why do people say Ike messes up their orbits!? When going to Duna, Ike acts as if it doesn't exist!

Yeah; Ike does not perturb me as much as people said it did.