What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This weekend was supposed to be the triumphant completion of my Duna campaign. I have landed an unmanned lander on Duna, I have test landed and re-orbited a prototype crewed lander. I have launched the Interplanetary Crew Transfer Vehicle (ICTV) and docked it with the high station where it was refueled. I have two transfer stages (each with a fair amount of fuel left to refuel the ICTV) docked in orbit along with the final design crewed lander. I have constructed a refueling/way station station in high Kerbin orbit.

So this weekend I launched Bill, Jeb and Bob in a capsule to rendezvous with the high orbit station where they could dock and transfer to the iICTV. As they neared the station ready to dock the ICTV started to oscillate in some sort of weird feed-back loop (the station its self was unaffected by the osciallations) and finally tore its self apart and exploded! The Kerbals never even docked and immediately returned back to Kerbin.

I was able to control the command section of the destroyed ship for a while until the battery power was exhausted and used most of its mono propellant de-orbiting it. An automated re-supply mission was successfully sent to the station and replaced the fuel that had been transferred to the doomed ICTV but there is now a string of co-orbital debris near the station that will be a hazard to future missions.

The Duna campaign is now on hold pending the outcome of a Board of Inquiry and a re-design of the ICTV.

I finally got round to completing the recent reddit challenge to land on the Mun with only SRBs. However, I take it further and go to Laythe and back with only solid fuel and no parachutes in my 'super-duper' hard mode!

Enjoy! :)

Just in case anyone was wondering, at launch the rocket consisted of 830 parts and weighed just shy of 2000 tonnes!

Edited by hazard-ish

Trying to finish up my run to Duna with at least 5 seprate missions heading to it before 1.0 hits . 2 Kerbal Colonists and a few probes. Plus had fun driving my 4 of 8 wheeled rover (as in lost 4 and a few other bits) driving to try and complete my 3 contract with this rover on Mün:

BD3D4E30F1E7D7D97AD5AF50328598965AC72301

I finally got round to completing the recent reddit challenge to land on the Mun with only SRBs. However, I take it further and go to Laythe and back with only solid fuel and no parachutes in my 'super-duper' hard mode!

Enjoy! :)

Just in case anyone was wondering, at launch the rocket consisted of 830 parts and weighed just shy of 2000 tonnes!

Geeze, I'm jealous of you guys that can easily play with a rocket consisting of 800+ parts without crashing and stuff.

Been crashing A LOT due to OOM while making my over 500 part Duna colonyboat which I'm constructing in orbit via EPL.

I'm trying to practice setting up a colony on Duna, though I'm pretty sure theres a much easier solution than the ship I'm making.

Edited by smjjames

Today, Duna Rover 2 arrived at Duna's surface. Both the rover itself and its lifter glided peacefully to Duna's surface, aided by RealChute parachute systems, which means they do not need to constantly fire their engines to reduce speed.

C6gHdmg.png

Just like the Station Pusher, the Rover Lifter ran out of energy during its descent. Unlike the pusher, though, this one was aided by parachutes so it wasn't a big deal.

9PKWIUs.png

Dancott and Sherman Kerman(best name amirite?), being commanders of the Duna base, radioed Rover 2 and commanded it to drive to the base. Tidily, the rover parked just besides its predecessor, Duna Rover 1. And here, our intrepid astronauts discovered that some plucky engineer accidentally swapped the headlight for one of the decorative lightbulbs used in the Christmas event back at Year 3. Fortunately, it's the green lightbulb as opposed to the red one, so it still functions, even though it's a bit darker than the standard headlight.

Being green, Kerbals would've liked it... if Duna's orange soil didn't change the glow to yellow.

8yXBMpG.png

Ignoring the event, I realized it was a really wise idea to keep the Rover Lifter around, because it had a freakishly big stash of fuel. Enough to refuel Sarnus 2A, which wasted a considerable ammount of its fuel while base-hopping to reach a distance of 2.9km of the base. Unfortunately, the lifter not only was considerably far from the 2A, it was inside all of the physics bubbles(save for Sarnus 1's), which meant I'd have to drag it while suffering maximum lag. And I'd have to drag it at low speeds to prevent the entire thing from disassembling.

Ah well, anything for fuel! Here, Lenberry and Anmund Kerman, our two engineers(so far; Sarnus 2B has yet to arrive) take the very same Duna Rover 2 which just arrived, and set off for Sarnus 2A's landing location.

irNXMhQ.png

Approaching the lifter was just like docking, since I had to line the fuel hoses perfectly with each vessel's center of mass. But even then, at least this was easier since I only have to deal with two dimensions, unlike actual docking in space, where I have to deal with three.

HudwRcv.png

After double and triple-checking, I had Anmund connect the rover and the lifter with KAS fuel pipes. Of course, no fuel is actually pumped, since the rover can't hold any, but hey, they do work great for towing things.

Here, I push the lifter at 1.1m/s. I was being extra-careful here, but thankfully, due to Duna's mercifully low gravity, I managed to push it up to 5m/s safely. Still, being paranoid like I always am, I never bothered to push it faster than that.

VyuBhcA.png

After a long time of dealing with 3 FPS due to rendering all vessels on the Duna Base at once, I managed to push both the rover and the lifter out of the base's phyisics sphere, which upped the framerate considerably. Eventually, I took the fuel hose from the Duna Rover and put it in Sarnus 2A. But, unusually, KIS was being a jerk right when I needed it to work, and whenever I tried to get Dancott to detatch the hose with his screwdriver, it would not work, with KIS only showing the icon "Grab" that does not actually do anything. I just decided to get on with it and use KAS' own ability and took the hose off without any tools, and slapped it on 2A. The mod author of KIS should look into this issue. Either that or I just made a bug myself by installing something wrong.

Here, Dancott monitors the fuel transfer. Ike silently approves my economy in the background.

XhRvxDa.png

On the other hand, maybe I should not top off the vessel with fuel. It will probably not use most of it on its way back to Kerbin anyway. Once the Fuel Rover arrives, I'll probably send a fraction of the fuel that now belongs to the 2A(while taking the ammount of fuel left in the lifter) and ship it off to Sarnus 1. Nevertheless, Dancott and Anmund drove off to the base again, while toying with the green headlights.

Six days later, the Overwatch 2 satellite arrived in a polar aerobrake orbit. Here, it utters a small "woah" as it wheezes past Duna's south pole, with Ike and the distant Sun in view.

KUeUWZS.png

After Duna's atmosphere, however thin, reduced the probe's velocity to prevent it from escaping, I left it in a polar course at around 739km. Unfortunately, I discovered far too late that ScanSat's MULTI scanner only operates up to 500km. Bummer. Of course, the probe still had more than enough fuel to go back to a 480km orbit(Duna's gravity is just awesome!), but that would mean the High-Res scanner would work at a lower efficiency. I just decided to leave it at its current orbit until it finishes mapping Duna's surface, then lower its orbit to scan for anomalies.

Too bad that the probe's lifter stage, designed to be 100% recoverable, won't be since it was designed to only haul satellites to Kerbin orbit, thus it won't make it back home from Duna, unless I somehow manage to rendezvous it with the space station(which is in a vastly different inclination from the probe), refuel it, and send it back to Kerbin. But hey, unlike the Rover lifter and the Station pusher, this one has batteries and solar panels, which means it can land safely on Duna's surface. Or maybe go to Ike.

Nevertheless, with my pointless rant over, I guarantee this satellite will enjoy its views of Duna for a long time.

oBWRQuv.png

I played with visual enhancement mods.

http://i.imgur.com/s1zsv8c.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ip8ONB6.png

Don't you think KSP should look like this?

While it would be awesome, I don't think the folks with weaker computers(like me :sticktongue:;.;) would think the same after their CPU and GPU reduce themselves to an unrecognizable puddle of molten metal.

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

I spent the last two days working on a Skylon-alike. I've been wrestling with the MK.3 parts for a while, and had basically given up on getting a plane airborne. Once Redshift showed me a way forward, I s̶h̶a̶m̶e̶l̶e̶s̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶ incorporated aspects of his design into my own version. Of course it hasn't worked nearly as well. A couple of versions have gotten infuriatingly close to making orbit with it's dummy payload, but I just can't make it happen. If I put too much fuel in it, it can't get off the runway, and if I don't put in enough, it won't be able to make orbit. I've basically given up, and am going to try again once I'm used to 1.0's aero system. Hell, maybe it will even be easier to make the Mk.3 parts fly. Fingers crossed!

I'm not playing KSP because I'm waiting for 1.0 release. I have tons of ideas but I cannot make them knowing that I have to start everything from the beginning soon (I play career mostly). Come on, time! I need this week running with the speed of light!

I'm not playing KSP because I'm waiting for 1.0 release. I have tons of ideas but I cannot make them knowing that I have to start everything from the beginning soon (I play career mostly). Come on, time! I need this week running with the speed of light!

I want the opposite; I'm hoping that this week will run extremely slowly so I can wrap up my Duna base before 1.0 comes out. I guess my own wish is bellitling yours :sticktongue:

Today I finished my stock ion shuttle so my kerbals can go sightseeing pretty much anywhere in the system. I tried to take advantage of mass-less parts as much as possible and this is what I came up with. If the mass of all of the parts was counted it would weigh 1.7t but in game it is only 0.87t with about half of its mass not being calculated. Most of that is cubic octagonal struts, solar panels, and batteries. It has enough fuel to go wherever you want and the low mass means that burns don't take forever.

uQibx7H.png?1

36Fq6xF.png?1

rzPacn2.png

Edited by Kirkhan

Hi,

my first post here, but I'm quite active in KSP doing stuff...

So today I finished my Space Tug, to explore Jools Moons. Or at least some of them.

Have a look:

KbWJBbHh.png

I carry two landers and a plane with me. The one lander is for Tylo and will get dumped on return of my Kerbals. The second, smaller lander, is for multiple landings, like Bop and Pol. And my plane... I hope to get down to Laythe in one peace. It makes LKO (you see it here at 100 km) with 200 m/s rocket fuel left. If it's enough for Kerbin I hope it's enough for Laythe, too. But I've already heard that it's mainly a waiter planet. I've packed some chutes to get down on a small island... hopefully big enough to get back up again. So, wish me luck, mission starts tomorrow. :blush:

I've been busy wrapping up my last big missions from my beta career so that I'm ready for a fresh start in 1.0.

To that affect I landed my first ever probe on Ike. 1D74E9AF11B1024B0B1E486FA82746E2AF9FB5D0

After than the DTV (Duna Terrestrial Vehical) "Desert Tortoise" rover was successfully landed in the style of NASA's Opportunity rover.D92FB364869493BF89E6CAD4006C49CDFACF0D7B

Still have the constellation manned mission to go, the crew will arrive first despite having left last. The outpost will arrive second. The lander-returner will be sent down on auto-pilot and the outpost's rovers can be used to drive out to it. Going by the numbers I have I've got way more fuel and snacks than I needed for this mission.

CATS: All your space are belong to us!

This is my last video production for KSP Beta, but it heralds a new beginning for a race of sentient former housecats taking to the stars in search of space tuna and intergalactic yarn.

Edited by pandoras kitten