What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started a new career game in 1.0, after installing and ensuring that the vast majority of my mods were not yet ready for it. Flew with KER alone. Mainly was flying derpsticks for early science - got out of atmo but didn't quite make orbit. Advanced up to the 45 point tier and unlocked the rudimentary general aviation parts, enough to do a few mid-air parts tests. Jeb flew up in a simple little plane that utilized three FL-T200 tanks drained of oxidizer for fuel, with Wing Connector Bs for wings, some elevon 1s for ailerons and Delta Deluxe winglets for a tail and fin, all to do a radial decoupler test. Plane flew remarkably well for something I couldn't balance with RCS Build Aid, couldn't check air distribution with Intake Build Aid, and couldn't analyze with FAR. Coming in for landing on the Level 1 runway was hairy; by all rights I should've come around and tried again, but it was getting late. Jeb didn't get enough speed down - he touched down and landed okay on those little bush-plane wheels but it was on the grass to the north side of the runway, and he traveled quite some distance past the far end of the runway before the plane came to a stop. I'm hoping to get those new airbrake parts accessed soon. I've also heard rumors of there being flaps and spoilers in the new stock aero; haven't figured out how to utilize those just yet.

I gotta say of the new features in 1.0, the one I like best is the little engineer feature that reminds you to drain the monoprop out of the pods if you're not going to be using it. I have noted that the game slows down when terrain is in view; that's a feature I had hoped would've gone away with the release version. Oh well.

Sadly, I don't have too much time this week, next week will be better. I did have a couple hours last night though, to try things out. I'll start a new career soon but I wanted to try the new atmosphere, so began a new ring station using a craft that is very similar to ones I've used in .90 and before. After a couple aborted test flights I figured out a reasonable ascent profile and will continue to refine it as I build the station. It will take 18 launches to complete the ring itself, each segment is 9 MK3 crew cabins, with every three cabins ending in a 5 degree angle - as well as angle at the end of each segment.

I was curious to know if I would need to put a shroud or nosecone on the top, but it is not necessary for this craft; no heat damage, no noticeably harmful drag or un-aerodynamic performance.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%2010.02.51%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%209.54.08%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%209.56.53%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%2010.22.05%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%2010.23.54%20PM.png

I end up with between 5,000 and 6,000 units of rocket fuel remaining in each launch, so when the ring is complete I'll need to add enough gas tanks to hold ~100,000 units of fuel!

I had the following missions:

* Rescue a Kerbal stranded in Munar orbit

* Get Science! from Munar surface

* Plant a flag on Mun

* Test the big radial decouplers on a suborbital trajectory over Mun

So I did them all in 1 flight. Sent out a probe-controlled lander to pick up the Kerbal, landed him to do the flag and Science!, then fired off the decouplers during liftoff for home. Ka-CHING! :).

Wow, you got Jeb scared. Yeah, may have been an important part.

I got this station into Mun orbit:

CDiPP8t.png

Unfortunately I did it using nukes, and hadn't realised how much heat they produce. Fortunately docking ports are the best insulators of all, despite clearly being made of some sort of metal :confused:

KV3y9EL.png

Since 1.0 got released, I've tried...

1) Spaceplane SSTO (three different designs, all worked, got back to KSC with fuel to spare).

2) To the Mun and back, Apollo-style stack

So now I'm trying a realistic Space Shuttle, with a ET, four SRBs and a three-engine, 2-OMS Shuttle (pictured below)...just finished the aerodynamic tests...

nDeVOSy.jpg

so the next tests will involve fuel balancing during ascent (asymmetric thrusting and fuel redistribution for maintaining CoG).

Fired up 1.0. Checked out the parts, some puzzling decisions with the engines, then built my first ship.

17097872037_ae0c6f1d19_o.pngMy first 1.0 launcher by cantab314, on Flickr

I had plenty of excess fuel, so I thought I'd go somewhere.

17303483582_b18a676165_o.pngOverengineered much? Let's go somewhere! by cantab314, on Flickr

It's only Minmus, right? Well Val got cocky. Note the missing fuel tank, which had a cluster of 48-7S engines on it before the ship landed hard.

17305329695_a0af38a60b_o.pngHey, down is down by cantab314, on Flickr

I wonder if the RCS can get them back?

I restarted the Kerbal Space Empire from the beginning. Better to learn the new system.

I got as far as being able to build a jet plane. It worked well enough I gave it a name. Everything else is a one off that doesn't deserve a name. Jeb is stuck in orbit until I can get to him more reliably. Good thing I have Valentina. Too bad I pretty much have about all the science I can scrape together so far. It may be a while.

Really? Is that blast effort for real? I have only had a chance to play for about 10 mins so far. That's so cool if its real.

Its real!!! I had to do a short hop from landed just to be sure...that blast pattern doesn't stay tho.

I cant get the player to show up...just the link, sorry.

Edited by vixr