What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Wow - are you using one of the system resize mods or do you just generally like to build big?! :cool:

Actually I was bored after a full day of marking papers and wanted to build something that looked right so I typed Saturn V into google image search and started building. There is a full size LEM in there.

714EDAB8FC8113788690E1EC29854C329FD4A07D

0A34C558E49F085C58CDC328192A592C8EED7123

1AA00246859EDEBC991A04678BC37811B7D79CE5

CF72489D3D51D7B72DC0AC8A0D2062D71AFB74D4

That said, Stage 3 wasn't needed (or Stages 1 and 2 were both too big). The LEM had too much fuel in it but everything worked well.

So I'll probably build it again smaller eventually. :) - also forgot extra monoprop, batteries, and fuel cell for the LEM (Since Apollo used fuel cells).

I built it on my laptop (which is a full stock system) though you can see I flew it on my home computer which is modded.

Edit: fixed image urls

Edited by loch.ness

Well today I decided to actually do a proper 1.0 career. Launching my first orbital rocket and trying to squeeze in a last biome as entering the atmosphere. Of course the Jeb watches his pod speed away. I was so worried for Jeb, and just had to watch as he fell to Kerbin. Somehow he survived reentry...and to my disbelief the new aero combined with some rcs allowed him to land and survive! I am utterly shocked. Jeb truly earned his badS designation today.

Sparklers! I created sparklers!!!

During testing, I realized I had not connected fuel lines as intended, and ran out of fuel on the small tanks connected to the engines. So, during flight I tried transferring fuel with the engines still on full throttle. Started with the fuel first, the engines didn't light of course. Then started the oxidizer, and sparkles happened! The engines were consuming the fuel faster than the transfer rate, so I guess this is the result:

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-07%20at%208.44.24%20PM.png

I just successfully landed my first Twin Boar main stage, thanks to the small heat shield I put at the fore end. And no, not the way you'd expect - the structural cone that joined the rocket to the heat shield blew up and the parachutes opened too early and were instantly incinerated, but the rocket continued to push the heat shield ahead of it, smashing the heat shield on impact but leaving the rocket intact.

Today I enjoyed the sights of Kerbin. So far I've been loving the new aerodynamic model, and the new wing parts are beautiful. They also add a lot of possibilities for things that we just plain couldn't do before. I've been trying out some designs, and checking out some scenic locations.

ZK0sVme.png

h5laprz.png

lC82CEB.png

BHTkBay.png

nNBlpi0.png

OgV424f.png

I'm especially proud of that last plane. It can easily hit mach 3 without melting too much, and it's just a joy to fly low to the ground.

My space program had advanced to the point where I should start flying interplanetary missions, but I hadn't unlocked docking ports yet. Therefore I had to do a single-launch mission to Duna within the 140-tonne limit.

duna_mission_1.jpeg

As I hadn't unlocked multi-kerbal pods either, I used the same general design as for the previous missions.

duna_mission_2.jpeg

Aerobraking with a 12 km periapsis worked quite well. I had a plenty of time to slow down and deploy the parachutes.

duna_mission_3.jpeg

duna_mission_4.jpeg

duna_mission_5.jpeg

Today I made my first SSTO! I don't really use spaceplanes much, but I decided to give this a go because apparently making SSTOs is hard in 1.0.2.

4fuGrLD.jpg

Here's the Mk2 - the Mk1 was a completely different design and it couldn't even get close to orbit so I scrapped the design and started again from scratch. The Mk2 could get into orbit!

TCHdYC7.png

I landed it (almost) successfully, too. It had just enough fuel to deorbit and land.

sk69EoO.jpg

Unfortunately, because the bottom-most jet engines were so far back, they smacked into the ground and exploded. The rest of it survived!

I tweaked the design a bit and made the Mk3 - I got rid of the useless radial intakes, moved the wheels back, changed the canards, and added a couple of little solar panels. I also added struts where they needed to be - because I changed where the wheels were, the craft would flex weirdly in the middle and misalign the engines, and then the exhausts would hit against the other engines and everything would explode.

I didn't get an orbit screenshot of the Mk3 (it did make it to orbit!) - but I did get an image of it landed.

SAMXzIU.jpg

I didn't really think about where to place the airbrakes, so I stupidly put them on the top and bottom of the outermost engines. Of course, the bottom ones scraped along the ground and broke off.

All I did was move 'em to the side instead, and it's complete!

PekUPVW.jpg

Not too sure what to do with the design now. :P

people here are doing incredible stuff meanwhile im here, just happy that ive learnt to rescue kerbals in low kerbin orbit (as long as you dont mind the Km long EVA they have to do to get to the rescue probe) and have been fantasizing about setting up mining ops in the mun and minimus and perhaps get probes to Duna or Ike.

people here are doing incredible stuff meanwhile im here, just happy that ive learnt to rescue kerbals in low kerbin orbit (as long as you dont mind the Km long EVA they have to do to get to the rescue probe) and have been fantasizing about setting up mining ops in the mun and minimus and perhaps get probes to Duna or Ike.

Aw dude, we all start somewhere. Anyway, it sounds like you already know more than half of what you need to know to get those mining setups you're dreaming of. Keep pluggin away, you'll get there!

Landed on the north pole of minmus (its full of stars).

Rescued even more kerbals stranded by that "other" space agency, also at minmus.

Took home 600+ science from that.

Now that I have advanced jet engines, I built the starbird II. It reached 1k m/s very fast, I had to fly at low throttle to keep from falling apart in low atmosphere. Advanced engines won't take me to orbit but they get real close.

So, I also was able to build my first ore scanner satellite. Stuck it over the mun. The information gained from it won't be very useful until I get much more science.

Jeb and crew still stuck on Duna from their lander tipping over. I'll get there again some day. I have another ship waiting for a transfer window in a little over a cycle. It has a better wider based lander so it shouldn't tip over. If I didn't frell it up, it has a 4 kerbal cargo pod to take everyone home.

In .90 I made my first SSTO that worked. In 1.0 I had to redesign it - making version 2 - to make it work. And when I head over to 1.0.2 (when I am sure the mods I like are working) I am sure I will have to work on version 3. But at least this forces me to learn and learn again.

In v0.9, my first Duna mission (only my second successful one in any game) arrived at its destination, although not without drama. A somewhat overoptimistic and incautious approach to Duna almost resulted in disaster when the edge of Ike's SOI was clipped, and a burn happened in the wrong place pointing in the wrong direction and durned near threw my probe out of the Duna system.

Luckily, my probe was so over-engineered (erm.. due to slapdash design, not intent!) that Mission Control was able to get it into a highly elliptical orbit about Duna, then deliberately use Ike to imrpove the orbit and get back some of the dV used to prevent the provbe going into Kerbol orbit. Happily, this resulted in a better inclined orbit than was expected, and the service module was easily able to alter the orbit to an 87 degree inclination near circular orbit at just below 200km. The orbiter probe, Duna Surveyor, was then uncoupled from the rest of the craft, and both radar and photographic mapping of Duna's surface began. The lander, Duna-Explorer-1, was then placed into a slightly lower orbit, to avoid potential collision with Duna Surveyor, and Duna-Explorer also started radar mapping the surface of Duna.

Once the entire planet has been mapped, a landing site will be chosen for Duna Explorer 1, and a landing attempted. Meanwhile, back on Kerbin, boffins are scratching their heads over designing an unmanned rover for the next Duna mission, and tests of the Duna-hab modules are ongoing in preparation for the first manned ship to Duna, and the eventual colinisation of the planet.

I have finally seen enough pictures of the Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet on my Facebook "planes that never flew" news feed that I started to build a replica of it in KSP to 'test the aerodynamics'.

Engineering report here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120364-Valentine-Angel-protects-KSC-from-devious-Mysterons-in-the-Angel-Interceptor-Replica%21

Oh and pics, glorious pics!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have successfully completed my first docking in 1.0 as a part of a contract to perform docking in Kerbin's orbit. First launch was a bit larger craft on a larger rocket which served as a target for a smaller craft launched on smaller rocket.

6IpTw9n.png

AP26it6.png

mTFcSsY.png

hdj6Cyr.png

xvr4JAw.png

XdKaFGu.png

I have successfully completed my first docking in 1.0 as a part of a contract to perform docking in Kerbin's orbit. First launch was a bit larger craft on a larger rocket which served as a target for a smaller craft launched on smaller rocket.

http://i.imgur.com/6IpTw9n.png

http://i.imgur.com/AP26it6.png

http://i.imgur.com/mTFcSsY.png

http://i.imgur.com/hdj6Cyr.png

http://i.imgur.com/xvr4JAw.png

http://i.imgur.com/XdKaFGu.png

That's a cool little round "Mk1 lander can ??"

smaller craft is just a Pol craft (Cygnus replica) from Tantares. Larger one is probe core, fuel tank, few batteries, one of orbital modules from Tantares mod and small docking port

Contract Mission to launch a Space Station around Kerbin, with standard stuff + Research Lab and 4000 units of fuel.

Looking through the SpaceStation thread gave me loads of ideas, which wasn't a good idea as my station build cost went wild as the build became ridiculous. looks awesome though.

Lots of KIS struts and a pointlessly over engineered Solar Array thanks to Infernal Robotics, oh and Escape Capsules for 3.

Floating in the darkness the KOSS 1_zpsby2ztkgt.jpg

All lit up.

2_zpsg15yh2ft.jpg

Deploying the Solar Array

3_zpsuylgyqek.jpg

Took so long to engineer

4_zps2y54zz3y.jpg

Escape Pods tucked away with more infernal robotics to deploy them and tweakscale

5a_zps0ujgbgwh.jpg

5b_zpsar5qqpac.jpg