What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Populated system with some refineries, miners and space trucks to keep my operations flowin. Also started scouting Laythe for SSTO landing sites and colony location - re-entry on Laythe with my SSTO is pretty brutal and landing on slope is experience I almost forgot. Lot of F9 today...

Recap of weekend activities:

- Launched first orbital station of Kerbin

- Launched 5 satellites into Kerbal orbit

- Made first fly-by of the Mun

- Made first orbit of the Mun

- Rescued Jeb from the orbital station, as docking without RCS tech was more difficult than I originally anticipated

- Jeb landed on the Mun.

Next up? Unmanned rescue mission to Jeb, who happens to be stuck on the Mun. Turns out he was a little light on fuel!

Ran my last flight in 0.90

I have a number of large-scale projects underway that are not quite done, (some not even nearly done) and I was originally planning on finishing everything up before moving across to 1.0 (to give some time for the bleeding-edge to become cutting-edge).

But I got seduced by all the ISRU possibilities and the implications for my current projects, so the switch is happening and just about everything that ever touches atmosphere is being reworked.

The final 0.90 flight was a stellar success. I sent a small scientific probe on a partial Grand Tour. Orbits (not fly-bys) of Mun, Minmus, Eve, Gilly, Duna, Ike, Dres. Landings at gilly and minmus. At each SoI the craft takes and transmits a wide-range of readings, before parking up in low Dres orbit with 6k dV still in the tank. Why didn't I keep going with that extra dV you might ask? Well, it was a single kOS script execution. I hit 'run X' on the launchpad and went to bed, woke up next morning to find that it had harvested some 3.5k sci for me overnight and taken around 3 hours for the execution (a good chunk of it being a 20minute ion burn towards the end). The reason it doesnt continue any further is that I havent written that part yet. The reason it actually makes orbit everywhere rather than doing fly-bys is that it actually does its own time-warps to optimal phase angles and takes a long in-game time to make the journey, its far easier to predictably implement in code than trying to teach it to slingshot and fly-by like a pro player. I had to skip the planned Mun landing since my script settings for that body have some issues I havent gotten around to debugging. (see kOS subreddit for its performance in a recent competition.)

Time to port it to 1.02! Should only need some launch script replacements, might be my 0.90 FAR launcher can handle 1.02 stock. Gotta get to grips with the new kOS too. Fun times ahead. Im reasonably confident that i can hands-off automate an ISRU/shuttle/orbital refinery setup if I can just figure a way around KAS ground-docking, I dont have the scripted accuracy to make hard-docks on a surface. The idea that i can type run, go to work and come back to find a thousand tons of fuel in orbit is too cool. It would mine, transfer to the shuttle, ascend, dock, transfer, undock, deorbit, spot-land, dock repeat. It can even keep an eye on how many more runs are needed and park up when stuff is full, or even take a secondary destination. Got much of this sort of stuff in code snippets, will just need to weld it all together. (docking in particular I need to reimplement, my solution sucks)

Then finally is the ever looming goal of porting everything into RSS because I think I could.

-celem, who doesnt fly his own ships anymore, because wheres the challenge in that? Gets his kicks in a text editor these days and by the results on the screen when he gets home/up.

Edited by celem

Didn't have much time to play over the weekend due to the weather. Installed the Euler version of new FAR. Didn't care for it much. An attempt to launch two tourists into a sub-orbital trajectory failed miserably, this with a rocket that would've definitely worked in 1.0.2's stock aero. It also didn't play very nice with StageRecovery.

Downloaded the new new FAR version this morning; we'll see how it works.

Nothing too complicated. Just a lander to Minmus, the Mun (after sending up a resource scanning probe). Posted some pictures on FB if anybody cares to take a look (there are also pics going back to 0.90 as well).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.443721135775988.1073741828.100004143155906&type=1&l=feed80d91a

Edited by Entropiated
updated link that works

I gave my favorite vintage aircraft replica an upgrade, boosting its performance to that of the 1936 TB-3 AM-34FRN variant. This involved better engines, streamlining and a whopping top speed of 300kph! I also installed nuFAR and increased the wing area to compensate for it being grossly overweight compared to historical specs.

After several rounds of tweaking I shed a few tons of weight and loaded it back up with ordnance - a fictional loadout of 8 250kg bombs and 8 unguided rockets in a bid to make it the clumsiest attack aircraft ever!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The craft file is on KerbalX:

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/2287

Mods used:

nuFAR 0.15+

TweakScale

KAX

Well, I did three tourist contracts at once, after losing my first tourist on reentry.

Also, I just realized it's almost the 2 year anniversary of this thread being started. Amazing how much cool stuff accumulated in this thread over that time.

Today my space program is on the rocks due to a horrible disaster. Jeb made a slight miscalculation(It wasn't me!) and landed from Kerbin Orbit in the mountains to the west of KSC. Subsequently, Jeb and two space tourists died as their capsules were smeared across Kerbin, after rolling over a cliff with no working parachutes! :D

Funding levels are dire, and morale is at an all time low. ;.;

Edited by Fleb

Today my space program is on the rocks due to a horrible disaster. Jeb made a slight miscalculation(It wasn't me!) and landed from Kerbin Orbit in the mountains to the west of KSC. Subsequently, Jeb and two space tourists died as their capsules were smeared across Kerbin, after rolling over a cliff with no working parachutes! :D

Funding levels are dire, and morale is at an all time low. ;.;

That's OK. I hear that after a few weeks in an undisclosed hospital, Jeb usually shows up for work again as if nothing happened. Unless you're playing on Hard. ;)

That's OK. I hear that after a few weeks in an undisclosed hospital, Jeb usually shows up for work again as if nothing happened. Unless you're playing on Hard. ;)

Yeah, it's a hard mode game. :D

I don't like losing Kerbals, and today I lost my first two in v1.0.2 :(

I was bringing a Mobile Processing Lab back home from Mun, loaded with science. The lab had a Mk1-2 pod attached, along with a boat-load of chutes ... and of course a heat shield. When I built the thing, I made sure the CoM in the VAB was indicating the heat shield end the 'heavy end', which it was. However, on reentry, the thing decided to flip around nose-in. The chutes all burned off, leaving my three passengers to their doom. As quickly as I could (after the flames died down), I EVA'd all of them and got them out of the capsule. The last of them, Linkey, was the only one I had a chance to do anything with. Activating her jet pack and thrusting upward actually saved her from the plunge into the ocean. She actually somehow manage to survive that fall... had it been on land, I doubt highly she would have. The other two didn't survive, I had no time to get to them and do anything with them and their jet packs. RIP Fredpond and Joepond.

I'm annoyed because the 'pond' brothers made a good team, and I wanted to hang onto them. :mad:

I found out that the Kosmonaut Services of the United Soviet Kerbal Republics really don't like women astronauts.

(I've had about 11 'rescue so-and-so from orbit' contracts. All of them have been for female kerbonauts.)

Today, and yesterday, I wrestled with the cheerless and gloomy reality of spaceplanes in 1.0.2, and lamenting the fact that my Laythe colony now needs one for anybody there to get home because 1.0.2's other changes have made the old type of reusable lander a thing of the past.

I finally succeeded in making a spaceplane (and learning to fly it under the new rules), and I hate it. It's a flying fuel tank, it's big and heavy for the payload it carries, it's got rather less short-field capability than I'd like, and in most respects it's indistinguishable from what most other folks are making with Mk 2 parts. Here's what it looks like.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441330117

Curse you, realism-mongers, for sucking the fun out of my game!

I had a station in orbit of Ike whose crew I wanted to return. I was going to send a pickup mission, but y'know, it seemed there was still a fair amount of fuel left...

I bet the folks at KSC were surprised when it whizzed by 35km overhead.