What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Bunged some stuff in a fresh install, built a station out of it, attached newly fixed cameras all over it, set them up in action groups. Stuck it in orbit, hooked a video streamer up to the game, and spent a while flipping round the cameras remotely via Telemachus while watching the video feed on my laptop. Superb use of resources, I have to say.

Views from various places which stay fixed relative to the model rather than the universe:

Apart from this one, which rotates with the end of the station - yes it's a big rotatey station part.

Thoroughly impractical as a station, but looks fun. If you feel like watching it orbit a planet ( yes, thoroughly exciting ) it seems the feed I was using for testing got saved for 48 hrs. http://justin.tv/vandisaster/b/446691634

Now that... Is... COOL!

made a ship heavily influenced by Virgin Galactic's White Knight 2. Except mine is fully orbital. :)

Takes off as a plane, separates from mother plane, rockets into space, lands as a conventional plane.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/723chvrgwd4621p/eMFlZwtPa3

teaser:

kPu8Pyj.jpg

Rest of the photos can be found in my Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/723chvrgwd4621p/eMFlZwtPa3

When I was setting up Jool encounters, Eeloo was also on the intercept path as its orbital plane was crossing Jool. Got one of two probe around Eeloo. The first one failed to orbit due to a bad calculation from the maneuver mode calculator. It is drifting in deep space. The second probe captured properly.

yS9GKN9.jpg

The difficult encounter maneuver.

YDLsupT.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

Started in on phase 2 of my Stanford torus project.

Here, I'm removing the construction frame (which houses all the RCS, command, and structural components, to keep the part count of the station down) from the arm segment it just delivered, prior to deorbiting it.

Xh0AhKf.jpg

Continued expanding my Mun base. I built, tested, and landed a mobile Kethane mining platform and filled up the tank. Then I landed an extraplanetary launchpad primarily as a spot to land the fuel shuttle which I will send tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to do a video on the new base. I'll demonstrate the operation of the base and how I get the fuel back to Kerbin. Once all my fuel assets are filled up, then I'll probably mount a mission to Duna, or do a crew transfer. Bill and Jeb have been up there a while!

I renamed a mountain north west of the KSC Mt. Dodrim after Dodrim Kerbin who died when his space plane crashed into it. He tried going over but ran out of fuel and crashed on top of it. I will leave the wreckage there until I can get a ship/rover over there to plant a flag.

Did a lot in KSP today. Most of it was a mix of rather incredible coincidences, great victories and epic failures. Prepare for a long post!

Firstly, showed my screen on a Skype call to a friend who was mildly curious about KSP and from scratch, yanked out an old rocket, the OverEngineered Mun Cat 1 rocket, and rapid planned on the fly a trip to the Mun and back in 20 minutes flat on the fly.

el4BXPu.jpg

Botched the Mun landing several times because I thought trying to land on a 45 degree crater edge was just a fantastic idea at the time. But, like a real 'pro', no reloads, no saves, no cheats, just desperately fighting to keep it under control as it skimmed over the surface with my last few drops of fuel (literally. I had less than 5 units of fuel left when I landed) until I could skitter over somewhere flatter, the entire time my friend telling me I was a total noob and asked me what I thought I was doing. On the way there, I got to show him a perfect Munar Eclipse too:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Then after the call, I spent an hour redesigning my Fat Cat 1 SSTO. Besides my first success after 6 hours of trying with the third prototype, I've not succeeded again in getting the thing into a stable orbit. After another 15 prototype redesigns and 10-ish hours of attempts, I FINALLY cracked exactly how to fly the thing into orbit. I have to do giant rollercoaster dips from 18,000m-24,000m until I can finally burn off enough fuel and gain enough speed to hurl myself off the top of one of the crests and into orbit. Basically doing this:

chart_vomitcomet2_990316.gif

And so, finally Bill Kerman joins Jebadiah Kerman in orbit in a pair of Fat Cats. I felt pretty boss when I finally got this blubberbutt into space:

boIWZLm.png

So that was my win for the day.

Thirdly I tried to remake Thin Cat 1, the drone piloted refueling tanker into orbit to refuel the 80% depleted Fat Cat 1. Man, what a mess that was... 4 from the ground up redesigns and countless launch failures. Not paying attention and my engines overheating, random explosions, putting sepratrons on the wrong way and propelling spent SRBs into the main fuel column instead of outwards. So I went and cleared my mind playing some Battlefield 3 for a few hours.

And finally after I got back, I decided to launch another satellite to Duna. So I got it all the way to Duna and detatched my transfer stage in a retrograde direction, and then used the last positioning stage to burn retrograde to stabilize my orbit. It was then my logical mind kicked in and said...

"Hang on... I just detached a very large and very heavy lower stage in a retrograde direction and now I'm slowing down... Wait, doesn't that mean-"

And sure enough, said lower stage came screaming back into view of my satellite at ~300 m/s.

".... Oh, fiddlesticks... -_-" And so my satellite after 3 hours of rocket design and RL time flying was no more than a few small struts and a dislodged battery, coated in the salty tears of hours of wasted time.

Long and eventful day of KSP. Good and bad.

My Kerbal base full with 48 Kerbals landed manually in one piece. 12 radial engines, they made the job from 65km from Kerbin to landing. No need any RCS but its available in case. Better no use RCS on landing nor any landing legs as it can disturb landing very strong. Just small precision adjustments with ASS. 90T on top of launcher, 36 on landing, still 1000L fuel in reserve

m897.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

Here on launching 7711 DV, more than enough, no parachute on this version as it is for Mun. Able to go further, Duna, and I think it still possible to add DV. Mainsail engines cluster on KW Rocketry central tank add a lot of DV.

blm7.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

It's nothing big, but I managed to get a satellite into geostationary orbit for the first time. I was extremely pleased with how the launch went, too; my Heracles class lifters are a little temperamental, which is one word you never want describing a rocket.

First try, got my orbital plane to 0.4 degrees off of equatorial just by eyeballing it on the navball. So, yeah, I'm pretty damn happy.

Had a good day in KSP. Redesigned the booster for my Barn Burner Superheavy 7 and was finally able to get it up without UVDs or cannibalizing the payload's fuel. The booster had just enough fuel to get it into an 80k orbit, drop the payload, and burn to de-orbit (I ordinarily put stuff down to 1700 m/s for deorbit; she had just enough fuel to get down to 2100 m/s but that's enough of course). Went ahead and docked the Burner to Typhon 1a; the KER computer insists that by doing that it's available delta-V went down. My calculations suggest it went up by about 2,000 m/s. I do have to wonder where the design's "tipping point" is; I may not be using it to go to Moho after all. Might make a hell of a Jool refueling depot though.

Finished setting up my ILS for the runway. I went ahead and modded the Hellhound rover I used to set out the first three markers to carry "dropboxes"; just QBE probes with solar panels on each side, attached by a small stack decoupler to BZ-52s hung off the back end. Used it to set out the 10k, 15k, 20k, and 25k marks (stopping to re-label each one as a base, then targeting the one I dropped when I moved on to the next mark). I included a KER flight computer to help keep things lined up within one ten-thousandth of a degree (latitude, of course, since it's an east-west runway). Went ahead and set the rover itself out at 30k and made it the 30k marker (if I hadn't already earned my ground transport instrument for Kerbin, I would've last night). Tried the system out with a Ravenspear Mk4 after I finished docking the Barn Burner (so I'd have some daylight for the trial run); it worked for the alignment. Unfortunately, I still need to learn how to pilot spaceplanes; lithobraked just short of the runway. At least I was aligned properly...and didn't take out the 0k marker in the process......

Today, I plan to finally launch the Castle Romeo mission. I should have a working booster at this point. Hopefully I also have a working lander...

I am a fanatic when it comes to space debris. Every stage must land on Kerbal, be destroyed, or able to de-orbit itself. So imagine my frustration when I discovered an unknown 'probe' on my tracking screen:

dTn86B0.jpg

Yup, that's one of my auxillary control modules, in a stable orbit after an excessively large staging explosion. Well crap, it's right in the middle of one of my common orbital paths as well. I suppose I could 'cheat', reclassify it as debris and then change the max-

HyDgED5.jpg

...or create a platform for adjusting the orbital tracks of 0dV items.

eiucA2u.jpg

Docking

UOwk4DQ.png

Mission success

Who knows, maybe one day I'll use it to boost a kerbal's orbit

Edited by Meltro
Wrong pictures

Completed my first manual docking a while after MechJeb kept balking at the unusual setup.

OI42Wqo.jpg

That's my quarter-arsed attempt at a "reuseable" shuttle. Launches & lands vertically ala SpaceX only dropping the first stage. Needs work. Currently stuck there at my fledgling Highlab station as it has enough fuel left to deorbit but not land. That's ok, Bob has some smelly work to do cleaning the residual kerosene off the walls of the latest wet workshop module (thanks to Nova). Next module will bring more fuel (and quantum struts! Even in .21 things still wobble!)

Also dispatched my Munar Impactor tagalong probe from the cargo bay:

MzRMTte.jpg

Sent it on its merry way then remember I haven't setup comm sats near the Mun yet. Somehow RemoteTech was able to keep the signal, but thinking it would loose signal at some point I put the main probe into the side of a mountain. Only the impactors were actually supposed to impact, but those lost action keys somewhere along the way too and didn't launch right. AND the mountian everything hit had JUST the right slope so everything hit all at once instead of giving the probe something to actually observe before it died too. Back to the VAB on that one.

NnqIcBl.jpg

pflbzDA.jpg

H2y89y6.jpg