What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I realize I'm double-posting but YES!

YES!!!

I just ascended to orbit from Eve! I got frustrated after 2389749 attempts and went full Kerbal, strapping together a behemoth out of a bunch of the biggest and most powerful rocket parts, and (just barely, heh) made it all the way to orbit for the first time in 1.0! (Or ever if I recall properly)

5ZuofGCm.pngpNUhn0Dm.png

I can dock like nobody's business, but getting off Eve has been a perennial stumbling block for me. Now I just have to come up with a way to get this there other than HyperEdit ^^;

I released the craft file for a simple prop plane over at Procedural Parts

http://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/P-1AJ3-Motorjet-Acrobat

Built a 'stock procedural nosecone' as I just needed a nose section covered. The station looks silly as I stuck a docking tower on top of a cupola (contract requirement) and is pending outfitting with more solar panels and batteries via EVA once the tanker carrying its spare parts arrives.

viMDzNa.jpg

Pink navigation lights? Oh yeah..

LFIxKJD.jpg

Inc1ylN.jpg

Once fuelled the HOS (Horrible Orbital Station) will execute transmunar injection to rendezvous with the POS (

aka Piece Of ****) to become a fully operational science platform and lander base. Oh, and I will strap 2 more of those LK-0 prototype landers to the side of the HOS too. That's what the tiny docking ports are for.

On arrival at POS-1 the HOS will donate one of its standard docking ports to the POS Habitation Module, which was constructed when I only had small docking ports. This will be done by KIS / EVA as again.

Test flew an early prototype solar endurance plane. My eventual goal is to complete the air circumnav challenge (again) but with this craft.

I'm inspired by the real-life Solar Impulse project.

My Condor here managed a trans-oceanic hop from KSC due east to the next continent (sort of unnamed in my universe as yet), and landed successfully. The solar panels generate enough electricity to fly when the sun is high enough - most of the daylight, however - when the sun is near the equator at dawn and dusk the angle is too great on the panels to get enough and it runs off batteries. My aim for the Condor here, is to store enough charge to run over-night, and so be a genuine perpetual aircraft.

Val did the honours in this landmark (for me) test flight, proving the basic technology. Now to hone it.

The test flight was an incredibly close thing. If you look at the pics, you'll notice Val just made it with barely enough power stored (around 500 units e)!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Jool transfer window is here and Kidonia's still nowhere near ready! My space center staff are scurrying around day and night in a panic. Jool's large SOI means I should be able to miss it by a few days and still be fine, but time is still very short.

YOxHkD4m.png

Today I finally got around to ejecting the last of the empty fuel tanks from the first launch, which I shall clean up shortly using another batch of bolt-on parachute modules. I've left a single booster attached in the hopes of avoiding docking bugs (it's a long story).

Completed Episode 4 of the Primitive Orbital Station saga.

The next episode will involve detaching one part of the station (the old hab module) and using it for a mothership to bring the 2 mini landers to Minmus, since, without their expendable descent stages, they will not be able to do another Munar landing.

The Curious Case of Leetrix Kerman

A while ago, Leetrix Kerman was rescued from the surface of Minmus, with no explanation of how she got there. She worked her way up the pilot ranks to 4-star status. She mysteriously perished one day after landing an experimental spaceplane on the far side of Kerbin. It seemed somebody forgot to put a ladder on her cockpit to allow her to descend to the ground, and when she fell the short distance to the ground, she vanished in a puff of dust.

After being listed as MIA for several weeks, she suddenly appeared in the Astronaut Complex, bereft of all her hard-earned skills. At the same time, a contract was tendered to splash a vessel in the oceans of Eve. Leetrix was immediately volunteered for the mission, and her Mk1 capsule (with her inside) just splashed down in the Explodium Sea.

The destruct charges should detonate shortly.

hzU3hzq.png

Tried to make Bob and Val visit the face in Duna with a spaceplane, but failed to land in the rolling terrain around it, so I've decided to abort to orbit

t7g18w.jpg

jigjtl.jpg

2hs56vc.jpg

I've nailed a temperature reading and I'm now transferring to Ike to refuel at the refinery there and have Val complete the survey contracts there, before returning to Duna.

I'll need to send a vertical launch rover to operate there, though. Operating spaceplanes in Duna is hard.

Decided I was gonna try to get to orbit in RSS using raster prop equipped IVA. I'm evidently terrible at multitasking, because I almost flipped the rocket several times trying to look for the MET timer in the screens.

In light of recent Kraken incursions against the Kerbal Space Program, this Council of Nations has agreed to activate the X-KOM project.

Good luck, Commander.

Pe4yhKh.jpg

Render by esinohio - request yours today at:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93628-Esinohio-s-Blender-farm

Want the craft file? (it's stock!)

http://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/X-4A-Enforcer-Assault-Transport

First thing today I tested my raptor shuttle some more, and she can make it to Minmus Station and back to my station in low Kerbin orbit no problem. So I retired my old shuttle

L49tTtN.png

The only issue, one I've been dancing around for some time now, is I still really could use a new space station between Kerbin and the Mun. Something much larger, to act as sort of a Central Space Station Tourist Center. I wanted something big, with much more fuel and personal capacity than my other space stations. But I also wanted something beautiful... elegant.... and definitely different if possible. And the part count had to be under 250.

So building on the skycrane concept I used to launch my smaller stations, I just kept building bigger and bigger..... and ended up with a masterpiece!!! I am so proud of this. It took all day to launch and assemble, and I was terrified the whole time. There are no screenshots of the launches... I was in map, orbit view... whatever it's called, nursing the throttles under 100 m/s and praying they wouldn't spin out. It wasn't fun, and I really didn't have time to screw around trying to set up a nice screenshot.

Then when it was finished I had to think of a name... and it wasn't long before I realized the perfect name, and perfect dedication, for my beautiful vacation resort in the sky...

Terrapin Station :cool:

WxkDdAd.png

qtf1Wk9.png

hCIFAEf.png

XSen4AA.png

ygpH5kW.png

She can house 40, and her liquid fuel capacity is over 22,000 units, more than all my other stations combined! And there are a couple new features, like the extended docking "pylons". Those already proved very nice!

Only thing left really is tomorrow I'll bring in my big ore ship and top off her fuel tanks.

tQOaSPn.jpg

Edited by Just Jim
spelling... again

In light of recent Kraken incursions against the Kerbal Space Program, this Council of Nations has agreed to activate the X-KOM project.

Good luck, Commander.

http://i.imgur.com/Pe4yhKh.jpg

Render by esinohio - request yours today at:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93628-Esinohio-s-Blender-farm

Want the craft file? (it's stock!)

http://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/X-4A-Enforcer-Assault-Transport

dayum that is pretty BadS right there!

Finished out the Tech Tree in my Science Sandbox campaign.

While I was doing it, it seemed like it was going to take forever... and now that it's done, I'm like, "What? I'm through it all already?!?"

So now I think I'm going to start all over in full-blown Career mode, now that I think I've got a good handle on how things go.

I also stepped back and looked at the boosters I'd been using, which I had pretty much created ad-hoc for each new launch, ordered them into payload-weight classes, and selected the best from each weight class as 'standard' designs, which I saved as subassemblies. I'm still struggling in the over-25-ton range, so I need to spend some more time designing some heavier launch vehicles.

Also started playing around more with spaceplanes. I may be "done" with the Tech Tree, but I've still barely scratched the surface of what you can do in KSP...

Over the weekend I continued the money grind in my second career save. Decided to try my hand at building a Mun base for a contract, and at the same time land a couple of tourists for contracts, get science data from Mun for a contract and plant a flag for a contract on Mun. Let's just say that this is the last - and I do mean the absolute last - time I'm ever sending Val anywhere with a bunch of tourists ever again...damn thing tipped over on relatively flat terrain. Which is what happened in my first career save when Val had tourists. Granted, this time it was on Mun instead of Minmus...I'm just miffed that I have to do the same type of rescue mission AGAIN...

Actually, Saturday was pretty crummy. I'd sent Val to Mun to do a flyby with tourists for contracts; her Stratofortress landed in the Mountains going too fast...lost 21 rep on that one. Not a good thing when you're trying to get the Explore Minmus contract to show up.

On the other hand, the money grinding has been quite good. Bob is still nine days out from arriving at Minmus, and I've managed to earn enough to get the R&D fully upgraded. That's four structures fully upgraded - R&D, the Astronaut Complex, Mission Control and the Launchpad; VAB and the Tracking Station are at Level 2, and the other structures are still at Level 1. VAB's on the short list for an upgrade, after which my plan is to begin upgrading my horizontal launch facilities. And I'm hoping the science will flow from Minmus...