What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Thanks! I toyed with about ever engine and finally said screw it, it'll be a 2 stage system. I just wanted better fuel consumption in space but needed the thrust for lift off. Didnt want to drag around a 15 ton engine for nothing. Yours is still a better explorer. Mine is just to gas up the other ships.

Today I created this:

acv.png?w=750&tok=07dcd3

in KSP. I was always interested in the ACV of ETS but I never had a good enough cockpit or pod that could fit the bill, until it hit me like a brick that B9 had one almost exactly like it.

And lo and behold, it actually works!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Unfortunately, my landing struts did burn up during reentry (Somehow...) but after some config edits to make up for it it should presumably work as fully intended.

I've been playing a bit with SSTO spaceplanes for shifting Cargo to LKO. I think I've finally got the hang of it, and I've got a plane that will deliver an Orange tank to LKO. After some sandbox testing, I loaded up my career save and headed to what's there so far of the new space station I'm building in LKO.

First up, an orange tank delivered to the KSS. Unfortunately due to a poor ascent, I had to rob a little fuel from the payload - but sucessfully docked it nonetheless to my space station. The second payload delivered was a hab module for the KSS. Once again, successfully delivered. I still need to tweak and play with the fuel loads required a bit - I have a habit of taking far too much oxidiser.

And then to top it all off - a safe and successful landing on the KSC runway - I'm definitely starting to get the hang of these spaceplanes!

Didn't have a lot of time to play over the weekend. I got Jeb's Stratofortress 7a craft refueled and affected a successful rendezvous and docking with the Kerbinport space station; I renamed the craft Bockscar for good measure. Jeb swapped out his current compliment of tourists for a new load and they're back on their way out towards Minmus; they should arrive in 12 days. I also put a Ballista satellite around Kerbin for a contract; I should probably land its launch plane now...

The rest of my weekend got...reverted. I had a contract to go do some gravity readings about 150 klicks southwest of KSC and I designed a multi-mode rover to do the job. Naturally I got it going too fast when it hit the highlands and it nosed into the terrain. Did a revert...and it took me back to Bockscar getting ready to make the transfer burn to Minmus. Facepalm moment there. Decided to decline that gravity reading contract the second time around and it was replaced with a "haul crap from orbit" contract. The crap in this case turned out to be a Mk2 Lander Can, which wigged out my Claw when I freed the pivot point and caused the whole thing to snap off. That flight's been reverted to launch; I'll make another attempt at it hopefully tonight if possible.

Sent a lander to my career Minmus station... and the station's docking fuselage suddenly exploded as I got within physics range. Again. Sigh. So, Kernne (who should have gone to the lab on the station) is now in the lander on the surface of the moon, and Valentina is still in the station awaiting a new one, or a rescue, or something.

I think she was smoking in the docking tube, which being next to the monopropellant wasn't such a good idea. At least she's OK. You have any idea how much it costs to hire new Kerbonauts?

The Kraken struck my career for the first time last night. I had a ore processing station in lunar orbit. I was preparing to send my first drilling team to the mun to complete a contract. I went to check on the crew onboard the refinery when it just went to bits! The science lab and the command module went in separate directions and all power supplies were destroyed in the explosion. 4 kerbals were now stranded in lunar orbit in a field of debris. A crack team of engineers quickly refitted the Excelsior 2 lunar lander for a new mission: rescue the stranded crew. Jeb launched flawlessly. He got into lunar orbit, but making the rendezvous proved difficult. After a lot of tinkering with the orbit, Jeb finally got close enough for the team in the command pod to EVA to the Excelsior 2. One kerbal was still in the science module. A retrograde burn put Jeb within 200 m of the doomed ship for a final EVA. Jeb and the Excelsior 2 returned to Kerbin uneventfully with an additional 4 kerbals for a an utterly perfect rescue. We can rebuild the lunar station. We can't replace kerbals.

Technically 'today' is after midnight - so 2:30am counts right ?

Meh, I just give an update on what I have done since my last update, usually 2-3 a week depending on how much play time I get.

Managed to get my Grand Tour vessel back to the low-delta-v domain of Gilly from Moho.

After many burns, I finally decided I had to do my ejection burn using my nuclear engines, and using up a lot of that fuel might improve my acceleration using the VASMIR.

After doing 80% of the ejection burn on nukes, I flipped the ship and finished up with the low-thrust VASMIR engine(now at 0.24 m/s/s instead of the 0.22 it was before I used all that liquid fuel)

Inclination burn, Eve Capture burn, all the way up to Gilly capture burn were done with the high-isp engines of the rescue vessel(VASMIR), then I refilled all the tanks from on-board ore and left the rescue probe in orbit of Gilly should there be a future need.

A bit of refueling, refueling the Eve Scansat in orbit over Gilly(eve and Gilly both fully scanned now), and then I sent my Grand Tour vessel back towards Kerbin for it's triumphant return(with a fly-by of the mun for contract purposes)

Then I sent my Eve scansat off towards Moho so that should I return I can find the lowland and canon biomes I did not see in my first visit.

(Mk2 body with a single nuke engine, Mk2 drop-tanks with additional fuel on the sides. Drop-tanks(~5km/s) were enough to get to and scan Eve then head towards Gilly, so just kept them in place during the Gilly scan so the Grand Tour could refill the probe to the full ~12km/s and I could then send it off to Moho)

Outer grand tour arrived at Duna and is now on an intercept course for the high-orbit rescue before heading over to Ike for the other rescue and a refuel stop.

After putting satellites around everything I could (that was the easy part), I finally finished landing a probe on the surface of every body (save Jool and Kerbol, of course) this past weekend. Though it was fun watching the extra satellite (for balance) descend into the atmosphere of Jool.

A few missions failed due to bad delta-v planning (I'm looking at you, Moho and Tylo).

One succeeded despite its flawed design (landing on Eve intact and functional but upside down; I should post a picture, I suppose).

The most satisfying were Eeloo and Moho. Each were a horrible waiting game, attempting to hit them on AN/DN (for Eeloo) and AP (for Moho) to save delta-v.

My Jool satellite/probe delivery ship is the largest thing I've built so far (mostly due to frame rate issues) and was also pretty satisfying because it's assembled in orbit (main body launch, 6 separate launches for probe attachment, refuelled and ready to go; again, I'll try to remember a picture tonight).

Now, after a contract to mine X units of ore on Eeloo went far easier than expected (for my first mining op ever), I'm working on designing a ship that can deliver an orbit-to-surface-to-orbit fuel processor for most moons. If that works, I may seriously consider a Jool-5 mission for the first time ever. Frame rate be damned.

Edited by Trann

Tinkering around with landers to fit the Mk3 cargo bay in the QV III mothership (yup, the QV II went bang. The QV III only has room for 64 kerbals but now has 10,000m/s dV)) and doing test flights to the Mun. Aiming for 3500m/s dV to give a useful range.

Version 1. Interesting but unfortunately too long to fit the bay:

sClOZB2.png

Version 2. Shorter and room for 4 kerbals:

UmmaygI.png

Stowed for interplanetary flight:

uY4EIkY.png

I'm planning on building a drill/fuel base on Duna so I can start a small (manned) plane and/or rover expedition on the surface of the planet to get all the science. Heck.. I may even try to circumnavigate the globe if I feel like it. However, I didn't have the cash to finance the upgrade of the scientific facilities in order to get to the drilling tech... So this evening I did an Ike 3 and Ike 4 flyby mission which would give me more than enough dough to get things going. I kinda over-engineered the delta-v budget, but I guess that's not the end of the world.

First I flew by the Mun, followed by Minmus, Gilly, Ike and finally Duna, where I put the satellite in an poler orbit so I could it scan for resources. It was a nice and easy ride! Here are some pictures of the mission:

it

After putting satellites around everything I could (that was the easy part), I finally finished landing a probe on the surface of every body (save Jool and Kerbol, of course) this past weekend. Though it was fun watching the extra satellite (for balance) descend into the atmosphere of Jool.

A few missions failed due to bad delta-v planning (I'm looking at you, Moho and Tylo).

One succeeded despite its flawed design (landing on Eve intact and functional but upside down; I should post a picture, I suppose).

Forgot the engine and drained the fuel so the weight distribution was completely wrong which means I Kerbal so good.

eve-lander_zps9bcdm3oj.jpg

The most satisfying were Eeloo and Moho. Each were a horrible waiting game, attempting to hit them on AN/DN (for Eeloo) and AP (for Moho) to save delta-v.

My Jool satellite/probe delivery ship is the largest thing I've built so far (mostly due to frame rate issues) and was also pretty satisfying because it's assembled in orbit (main body launch, 6 separate launches for probe attachment, refuelled and ready to go; again, I'll try to remember a picture tonight).

The Mk I satellite drive required another launch to attach a solar panel array I forgot to build on the main body. The Mk II probe drive did not have these problems.

jool-drives_zpslh2lbsw6.jpg

Now, after a contract to mine X units of ore on Eeloo went far easier than expected (for my first mining op ever), I'm working on designing a ship that can deliver an orbit-to-surface-to-orbit fuel processor for most moons. If that works, I may seriously consider a Jool-5 mission for the first time ever. Frame rate be damned.

Spent the afternoon perfecting a swing-wing atmo fighter design.

0iHZ1Dr.jpg

iFooIhA.jpg

Went wings are forward the COL moved forward to match the COM to make takeoffs/landings easier and improve maneuverability. When the wings sweep back drag is reduced and the COL moves behind the COM making the plane more stable, top speed goes up but at the expense of maneuvering.

If you mount the main landing sufficiently close to the CoM, so there's only minimal weight on the nose wheel, then it is still possible to steer, just barely, using the command pod reaction wheels, as long as you're not stationary. Maneuvering back to the runway is certainly doable. Turning on to the Taxiways, probably not.

Another bonus of this weight distribution, is that the gear can take much more punishment before buckling and veering off the runway, during take-off. Can launch a 400 t aircraft on a single pair of stock Heavy Landing Gear as mains and a Medium as nose gear (edit: with no struts used).

I'm guessing they will add lights and steering to the new wheels in coming updates, as for a work around for the steering problems for now - if you have two engines you can disable one and steer it like a tank, or just reduce the thrust on one.