What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2g93Gag.png

With the arrival of the replacement heat shields to Kerbin Station, our Taxi drivers look forward to getting back to their scheduled flights.

The current fleet of 2 Kerban Taxi [KT-01 & KT-02] can be seen docked to Kerbin Station along with the newly arrived Heat Shields which are now ready for deployment.

The Kerban Taxi Ship is a fully reusable system with space for 6 Kerbals.

Powered by 3 LV-N Atomic Motors provides a 8.63 TWR with a 4,320 Delta-V

The ship comes fully loaded with Solar Cells, Fuel Cells and Dual PB-NUK generators to accommodate any power requirements.

And last but surely not least with the newly UPGRADED and easily replaceable Heat shield (expanding from the old 2.5m to the new 3.75m shields)

Kerbals can feel more comfortable then ever during earo-braking or earo-capture maneuvers.

Edited by Korizan

The engineers realized, after building the latest city, that they had somehow damaged the VTOL rotors on the D-9 Constructor beyond repair. Unfortunately, as they are a very integral system, a whole new D-9 was needed.

A D-4 Skimmer was dispatched to the derelict D-9, and the crew transferred. The last one out of the D-9 shut down the propellers, closed the bay, shut off the lights, and wrote "CONDEMNED" in large friendly letters on the side of the cockpit.

http://i.imgur.com/8lHsWRT.jpg

The engineers were taken back to KSC3, where they will help build the new D-9, and then continue the quest of colonization.

recicle it with EL :P

recicle it with EL :P

Wow, I totally forgot about that part... I think it converts it to Scrap Metal, which has to be re-processed, but I might be able to cfg edit it to go straight back to Rocket Parts.

I am a little scared of losing kerbals to the recycler... then again I can always ship in more :P

I saved three of my Kerbals who where stuck on a station (the upper part) around mun for the past 5 months doing science experiments. This has become my main activity the past few days, gathering Kerbals that are scattered around the system :D

5143F6D464B0DEF360363E7AEF24319F9AAFB930

Shoutout to Loerelau for giving me the idea to move the mining operation. It was a flawless move, pretty interesting too.

241b9c37d22306082fb7e19fff9a4e72.png

The maneuvering thrusters turned into main engines rofl

Edit Below

c0c314acee685399c61be5b624579aaa.png

Using the Varius IIIc again, this one is transporting the Drilling Craft to Minmus.

5969e4f1fb51307f5ffabd270732c9d0.png

Second stage of Varius and the Drilling Craft during the Minmus burn

e8034e21a7d8600f69cb2e29f2e82f5c.png

Varius second stage away. It actually got stuck because of the twin drills but a little wiggling freed it.

ffc0d68616d61d8f1200f935027beb38.png

Minmus arrival! I designed the container like that so I can leave it at the station and return to the surface with another...as soon as I design a new component for the station.

a0e3465e330fdb746920e5433556e54c.png

On the surface, and drilling.

Edited by Draconiator

I gave up on my Duna campaign due to my inability to design a base that will not be automatically deleted as soon as I switch away from it after landing.

I will have to think up some other project that does not require an extended surface stay.

Launched a Probe and had the reaction Control break 2 seconds after ignition of the Booster. Tried to keep it stead, but ended up putting it in the water away from the centre.

G6fE3Za.png

Second attempt at a Close flyby of the Mun was a success and I'm on my way back. Yes that is a Heat Shield on top.. My last probe flipped over and burnt up So i didn't take any chances.

lGWdtT9.png

Landed at the North Pole at night.

vQvLoUl.png

Did something a little different. Deployed my first mining mission to the Mun. Miner 1 is what I named it. Its largely based on a design that I saw by a fellow on the forums and I tried to recreate it to the best of my ability. Here's a screenshot of it descending to the Mun.

GSAL5ho.png

I rebuild a interplanetary spaceship with only existant rocket (Ariane and Proton)

Q4EPQo9.jpg

i made a video to show how i send and dock the arms of the rotating wheel and deploy them for a realistic gravity

MY FREAKING ROVER IS LANDED ON THE FREAKING MÃœN FOR THE FIRST TIME !

I've found pictures of my Mün Equipment Setup ! The lifter is my HPDTr availble on my Hangar (clik on my flag) and the payload is composed of an satellite and an rover with a sky crane

sxkBlAW.png

Ready for the liftoff !

Qk8snsC.png

The retransmission satellite of the rover with hybrid propultion : chemical propulsion system, ionic and RCS. BUT NO FREAKING IRW FOR CONTROL ! but it's pointing the Mün ground !

an6JAid.png

Sub-orbital trajectory for landing...

COcF9dW.png

Separation of the second stage of the lifter, the suicide stage for an lander probe or rover probe (like here), and for an interplanetary probe, the burn stage : can burn to mün and begin the Kerbol orbit burn

yW6f94s.png

750 meters to the ground !

3H27vUr.png

Separation of the sky crane AND.....

Q9nka5D.png

MY FREAKING ROVER IS LANDED ON THE FREAKING MÃœN FOR THE FIRST TIME !

8zpR2Mh.png

LETS GO TO THE ADVENTURE !

The sky crane is a little bit misaligned but it was not a big problem for the landing. but no IRW in the descent phase was a big problem ! I've just used the retro-engines and activate time warp for stabilizing but under 5000 m it's was freestyle backflip ! The descent phase used only 25 % of the total in the tank once landed ! No problem with fuel consomation ! Thx for the F5/F9 system Squad !

Edited by TheGeekno72

Landed Val on Minmus in my career save. Lots of science on its way back to Kerbin for Wernher and co to deal with :)

Also launched a probe to go and fly by Moho and do science, partly because I've never been there before. It will be a rapid flyby as there's only 20 minutes between encounter and escape (as plotted). Hoping to get Space High and Space Low data to transmit back.

I created an explorer craft whilst I'm stuck in ksp 0.90, although I think it can be adapted when my main pc is back up. It's using a new idea (for me, at least) for carrying a small rover - encase it within a truss of struts and a docking adapter at the base of the lander. It makes the overall vehicle a lot neater (it bugs me when I have to fly a spacecraft with wheels sticking out, doesn't look right).

I've flight tested it in Kerbin orbit and seems rugged enough. Time to give it some missions!

tZzVHa8.png

Also whilst I'm here posting things, I just want to say that I think this is the best thread on the site: It's really interesting to see the diverse ways of doing missions that's on display here.

Edited by DunaRocketeer

I created an explorer craft whilst I'm stuck in ksp 0.90, although I think it can be adapted when my main pc is back up. It's using a new idea (for me, at least) for carrying a small rover - encase it within a truss of struts and a docking adapter at the base of the lander. It makes the overall vehicle a lot neater (it bugs me when I have to fly a spacecraft with wheels sticking out, doesn't look right).

I've flight tested it in Kerbin orbit and seems rugged enough. Time to give it some missions!

http://i.imgur.com/tZzVHa8.png

Looks good to me! It seems like all that would be needed for 1.0 is an interstage fairing between the docking port and the base of the lander can to protect the rover during launch/entry. Once you've deployed the drogue chute you could dump the fairing and docking port to allow the rover to be driven out from underneath. I'm guessing it's destined for Duna?

Looks good to me! It seems like all that would be needed for 1.0 is an interstage fairing between the docking port and the base of the lander can to protect the rover during launch/entry. Once you've deployed the drogue chute you could dump the fairing and docking port to allow the rover to be driven out from underneath. I'm guessing it's destined for Duna?

You can't see it in the image, but there's actually a gap in the truss of struts around the rover that allows me to drive the rover off of the Clampotron Sr 'platform', so no jetison of the docking port is required. My thinking is that I'll need to create a Heatshield/Clampotron Sr combo between the tug and the lander. It'll stay in Duna orbit with the tug, but will accompany the lander on Kerbin reentry. I'll also need more chutes -not too many though because I think it's a little cheaty :P

Tried to launch a mission to Minmus, but had a weird staging problem-- stage 2 refused to separate, even with the stage 3 engine firing. It's not the first time I've had issues with the TR-38-D decoupler, either. Weird. :( Had to abort to orbit, scoop up a few scraps of science so it wasn't a totally wasted trip, and then land again.

Late last night was spent in crazy experiments after my failure a few days ago with my Duna "Train." So called because I built it to be able to easily add more compartments to the front or back in a long line. Long story short, it was too long and unstable, the engine was the in the back and it oscillated once I tried to actually move this seven launch docking creation. It was my first planned manned mission to another planet's SOI so obviously it didn't go as planned. I got cocky. So, I've been conducting experiments to figure some things out. First I wanted to know if I could dock multiple ports along the same lateral point AND if by doing so it would increase stability. Second, can I make a larger lifter in order to send up larger segments (to allow for more strut points to increase stability) and I am only on orange tank and Mainsail rockets in the techtree. Third, can I make a front-side pulling engine and design a method of disposable fuel cans to ditch on a long journey.

The third issue is mostly a mental exercise and I am still working on that.

Issue number 1)

CC0F4EEA707CD7BD6F6A89AD9FCEE9FC3B6897E5

I was successfully able to dock multiple docking ports along a single lateral section. Nice. I did this three different times making a four segment craft orbiting Kerbin. I sent a refueling craft to fill it up and proceeded to test the capability of said craft.

First test I conducted was to get it flipping end over end as quickly as possible. Not much visible strain. I did notice the center docking ports seemed to be pulling free at times which was a cause for concern. I proceeded to the next test.

Will those 12 engines, facing two different directions, rip this craft apart?

2ADA21A89DFEB76B47097FE0F6572F7B77AAE148

HA HA HA HA HA!!! SUCCESS!!! Wait... what is that? ...

615509A3AB37C358CFD341EB45452A12D5446077

The force was enough to pull the docking ports apart visibly, but they were still "docked." This was hilarious to me. Now, to be fair, I don't actually have a control on this test. I've never tried to rip a docking segment apart before. I don't know that it is even possible in this game (although I'd think it would be). Some of you probably do know. Either way, doing this was incredibly fun.

I have one more test to conduct with this rig. I need to send up a few more length attachments and a backside engine to see if it can maintain control against the forces my failed Duna craft could not. I'll probably try to do that today.

The other thing I test last night was if building a 19 Mainsail engine Lifter stage was feasible. This is the largest lifter I've ever tried to build. It took fifteen minutes to build and miraculously it works like a charm.

On the launch pad.

E9833A11C0DDCEAB19D42AEDF9D7C02C428C036D

With just a straight launch up, no attempt to circularize or anything. No adjusting of the throttle to maximize efficiency. It had ended in a trajectory that got within Moho's orbital altitude. The probe core was damaged (but not destroyed) by the speed with which it was travelling through the atmosphere.

253D418E4A5137332B581474399A51B1A7107E3F

It was also able to circularize an orbit around Kerbin at about 85k without any adjustments to the craft. It had fuel enough to extend that orbit a bit. I didn't actually check to see how much.

Finally, would it actually be able to carry something? I put it at the bottom of my Asparagus refueling craft and tested it out. I am reasonably certain this is the largest thing I have ever had on the launchpad.

EFA44908CBC5CB546A00D296B9BEC4572372214C

The lifter base worked wonderfully. It made it all the way to about 15-20k, a goodly time after I started my turn for orbit. The problem actually came after that. The craft I put it on wasn't designed to attempt control with the heavy tanks on the bottom and I couldn't control it after the first stage fell away. My experiment's conclusion though is that I will be able to build larger segments of a craft and get them into orbit, thus creating more stability in the final product.

Overall, I had some excellent testing last night. I went to bed immediately afterward smiling a Kerbal smile.

Edited by Gods315Pawn