What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

First, I Launched a DuoProbe carrying a Minmus-Ion spacecraft and a Geostationary Kerbin Orbit Sat.

They were 1.3 tons so I launched them on the lightest lifter possible.

I got both to their destinations.

I then proceeded to get My Mun Survey Scanner out of Munar orbit and to a high Kerbin orbit.

I renamed it High Orbit Relay Center.

I then marked CubeSat-7 as "Debris".

So essentially I upgraded my personal Deep Space Network.

After last night's nearly disastrous but ultimately rewarding and inspiring mission involving Isaalla (plans are already underway for a big budget Kollywood movie), my KSA has decided to employ "real" mathematicians. The previous mathematicians have been promoted to administrators who are now in charge of hiring mathematicians using the same tried and true method that got them promoted. So, basically I've started experimenting with the Delta-V equation. I had done it once long ago just to have done it, but it took some more guesswork to figure out what order to be plugging in the numbers again. Also, after the Windows 10 update I can't find the the "ln" function on the stock calculator, but I just used google's calculator instead. Anyway, I am reasonably confident that I did it correctly and the CM has enough to transit to the Mun, establish orbit, and return.

This morning I finished up my attempt at building an Apollo style mission. I had done one once long ago where the lander launched already docked to the top of the CM. This is the first one I've built where I have to dock them together after the launch and before the Munar transit. However, unlike the actual Apollo missions, I don't plan on leaving a landing stage on the Munar surface. I have built it in the hopes that it can be used for multiple landings to get Science! I don't think it has enough fuel on board the lander to do it more than twice (and even that is extremely iffy especially given my agency's history with fuel planning). Either way, there are docking ports so I may send up a refueler. I'm not sure if it is cheaper/easier to send up a refueler or if it will be cheaper to return the CM and send up a duplicate craft. I still have research to do in that regard. I set my custom settings too easy since this was my first "career" mode since 1.0 launched, so it probably doesn't matter much. Anyway, since my space agency is built on the concept of "Launch first, answer difficult questions later," I have that ship in orbit already. The launch stage performed well, so I am keeping the leftovers around to start the Munar transit. I'll take care of the space junk at a later time. I have a cheap ship designed for that purpose. Unfortunately, I don't have time today to do the rest of that mission so the Original Three (is there some name that the forums like to refer to the collective of Bill, Bob, and Jeb?) will have to wait in orbit for a day or so.

Edited by Gods315Pawn

My second one safely made it, but by the time I had gotten a second rescue craft to reach the Mun Isaalla's position had been engulfed in darkness. I hadn't thought to put lights on it because, again, I built in haste. I used Isaalla's targeting marker as a rough indication of elevation change (I had to estimate because I landed a kilometer away from her). The landing went safely and Isaalla EVA'd her way over to the craft. We can't see her face in this picture, but I imagine her smile was massive.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/395547605766026368/C4B5CD72372C4CA11B896C4004A9B58E159D7E10/

I love that picture, and while I doubt this is what you actually did, I can imagine Isaalla turning on her helmet lamps to use as impromptu landing lights for the rescue craft, the flight crew remote controlling it from Kerbin using her as a lighthouse on their camera feed to judge their distance from the ground as they bring it in for a soft touchdown.

In preparation for a manned Duna mission, I'm planning an Eve/Gilly mission. I'll send one probe into Eve's atmosphere to aerobrake and let the crew recover the science when they arrive in Eve orbit. I'll also send an Eve lander to complete the explore Eve contract. Finally I'll be landing on Gilly with the future Duna mission crew to level them up. Wish me luck! :)

Today I tried to deorbit my station by hitting it directly with an asteroid I catched. Due to a bug it was mined dry, even though I switched everything off, when I left it floating.

The asteroid, the station, 300 m/s speed difference. Didn't hit it...

E9aoWg3.jpg

But somehow it disintegrated anyway: (Have a look at all the tiny bits flying around. You may have look very close, 300 m/s is pretty fast.

N8tUdQc.jpg

And then: The Krakening!

0Pe1z3q.jpg

Well, it survived reentry and landed in the desert. So Space Command took their best crew and sent them with their fastest jet to the desert, to investigate:

IxOxCXv.jpg

This thing is huge. (But weights only 70t.)

yAj0cum.jpg

Well, I'm back to improving the Kronos rocket. I suppose the Kronos_X15 will eventually become the Kronos_B.

Don't know that I feel like sending another three astronauts on another such a long journey yet. I'm still over the moon that Jeb, Bill and Bob made it.

But it will be nice to get all the details I had ideas about fixed. Then it'll be ready when it's time.

screenshot2584.png

I suppose I should modify some old, smaller rockets to start practicing docking though. ...Good idea, think I'll do that...

Running MUN tests for the ASTAR Mining Company....with a relocatable mining base..testing lander docking functions, some pilot errors..8) My other mobile miner was a brick could not make it fly...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-I-nJdiGC8Do/ViDUZbD7peI/AAAAAAAABXQ/JUDKjZrG_OE/s1600/screenshot85.pnghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FRyIpmCHai0/ViDUZRIAiRI/AAAAAAAABXU/oXVx74R_MLQ/s1600/screenshot89.png

I reproduced your design (Because it's beautiful!), except with top pod being mk1-2 3 kerbal pod (stuffed with 3, 3star engineers). I landed on Kerbin in a 0.018% area and it was very slowly draining fuel away instead of making some.

I can conclude that for your design to be worth it, you need at least a 0.03 (or 3%) ore vein. Maybe all 5 star engineers would yield better results as well.

Nice design !

[EDIT]

Yup, found a 7% ore vein on the Mun and it works fine. Loving it... Thanks again for the elegant idea !

Edited by Francois424

I tested some expetimental micro-SSTO designs.

My first version worked good. But I had only enough fuel to do a de-orbit burn.

After that, I had to do the re-entry and "landing" without fuel and without juice.

Skin temperature of the MK1 cockpit was at 1,900/2000 degress during re-entry with the nose at 10 degrees.

But I could not keep my nose up until only a few hundred meters above the ground.

Impact speed was about 70 m/s and luckily I hit with the front wheel and could use literally all other parts to slow me down.

I somehow managed to keep the cockpit intact.

Jeb was very grateful because of it. :cool:

But he's already familiar with my professional and totally intended lithobreaking landings. XD

N2sorOT.jpg

I call that a success...:wink:

Edited by Cairol

Well, the Dream Team on my Tilion III mission to the Mun have hit a minor snag.

B813DEFFFBB3275A33D2102F12B812D2880877AA

As you can see, I managed to successfully dock the lander to the front of the CM, but when I separated them the decoupler didn't separate from the lander portion as well. This is... a slight problem. I can't get it off. I'm going to try to land it as is or if I get really daring I might try to land in such a way as to destroy it, but I'll probably do a quicksave before attempting that. I'm guessing it is because I added the little strut connectors for added stability during the launch. I'll probably need to rework that for later missions. Will update as Tilion III progresses.

Update: I said I would... so here it is. The lander is on its side, the solar panels are destroyed, and Jeb is dead. I don't really want to go into how, but I think an explanation is probably warranted. The lander was on its crew hatch side. Jeb insta-poofed upon an attempt at EVA. I will say the quicksave feature should have the same "Hold F# to quick" as the quickload feature does. Quickloads do me no good if I accidentally quicksave over them by getting the two mixed up.

I think I am going to take this opportunity to find some Post-It notes and write "Tough" and "Competent" on the top two corners of my computer monitor and then I am going to restart my career mode because I set the science and funding way too easy anyway. I might take time to cry first. It seems completely called for in light of my personal failure.

Edited by Gods315Pawn
Update... super-sad update

Well, the Dream Team on my Tilion III mission to the Mun have hit a minor snag.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/395547605772507778/B813DEFFFBB3275A33D2102F12B812D2880877AA/

As you can see, I managed to successfully dock the lander to the front of the CM, but when I separated them the decoupler didn't separate from the lander portion as well. This is... a slight problem. I can't get it off. I'm going to try to land it as is or if I get really daring I might try to land in such a way as to destroy it, but I'll probably do a quicksave before attempting that. I'm guessing it is because I added the little strut connectors for added stability during the launch. I'll probably need to rework that for later missions. Will update as Tilion III progresses.

Your problem has nothing to do with the struts. A decouplers only decouples one side! The little red arrow points to the side that decouples, the other side stays attached to what ever it is connected to.

What you should have used is a separator. Separators detach from both sides.

190px-TR-XL.png

After last night's nearly disastrous but ultimately rewarding and inspiring mission involving Isaalla (plans are already underway for a big budget Kollywood movie), my KSA has decided to employ "real" mathematicians. The previous mathematicians have been promoted to administrators who are now in charge of hiring mathematicians using the same tried and true method that got them promoted. So, basically I've started experimenting with the Delta-V equation. I had done it once long ago just to have done it, but it took some more guesswork to figure out what order to be plugging in the numbers again. Also, after the Windows 10 update I can't find the the "ln" function on the stock calculator, but I just used google's calculator instead. Anyway, I am reasonably confident that I did it correctly and the CM has enough to transit to the Mun, establish orbit, and return.

This morning I finished up my attempt at building an Apollo style mission. I had done one once long ago where the lander launched already docked to the top of the CM. This is the first one I've built where I have to dock them together after the launch and before the Munar transit. However, unlike the actual Apollo missions, I don't plan on leaving a landing stage on the Munar surface. I have built it in the hopes that it can be used for multiple landings to get Science! I don't think it has enough fuel on board the lander to do it more than twice (and even that is extremely iffy especially given my agency's history with fuel planning). Either way, there are docking ports so I may send up a refueler. I'm not sure if it is cheaper/easier to send up a refueler or if it will be cheaper to return the CM and send up a duplicate craft. I still have research to do in that regard. I set my custom settings too easy since this was my first "career" mode since 1.0 launched, so it probably doesn't matter much. Anyway, since my space agency is built on the concept of "Launch first, answer difficult questions later," I have that ship in orbit already. The launch stage performed well, so I am keeping the leftovers around to start the Munar transit. I'll take care of the space junk at a later time. I have a cheap ship designed for that purpose. Unfortunately, I don't have time today to do the rest of that mission so the Original Three (is there some name that the forums like to refer to the collective of Bill, Bob, and Jeb?) will have to wait in orbit for a day or so.

They're called Orangesuits.

Today I tried to record for ScratchTube (like youtube but on the scratch programming site and it's just me talking, not actual video). First, I tested another version of a sub-orbital spaceplane I'm making for a contract. Scratch crashed when I stopped recording due to how much I recorded. I then tried again, this time downloading the parts to my laptop since it wouldn't save. something went wrong and most of it got deleted. after homework, I intend to try again and this time record in five four minute segments recorded seperately, played on after the other to try and keep scratch from deleting all my hard work. I scrapped the spaceplane idea and I'm just going to put a command pod with a mk1 lander can w/ tourist on top of a big booster with some fleas attached to it or a flea second stage to go suborbital or something. maybe just a lf second stage with a wee bit of fuel. (btw, scratch is a site where you program stuff without having to know code languages since it uses blocks of code. https://scratch.mit.edu/ )

Well, yesterday I created a small "Std. Orbital Workshop" and a "Std. Laboratory". Today I then created an "outsized cargo launcher" of mk3 cargobays put together to launch the first into space. Then with a followup launch of an assortment of docking nodes, an RCS probe to move modules around and a large KIS container module holding extraplanetary launchpads orbital dock and large recycling module. Then I created a Std. Crew transfer rocket and capsule and launched three engineers to... after much work ... attach the dock and recycling module in the right places.

The plan is for this workshop to build small spacecraft (tugs?) and landers in kerbin orbit, possible act as a waystation for travel elsewhere and a smallish to decent fuel depot.

More testing of the Kronos_X15.

Had to extend those solar panels by hand, something is not right there. ...And no, those twelve out of sixteen nuclear engines are not supposed to be out of fuel.

screenshot2599.png

Never mind, continue testing. The great space litter machine. That's entirely intentional. Yes, those heat shields are supposed to come off. Yes, those eight nuclear engines are supposed to come off. ...They didn't work anyway.

screenshot2601.png

- But no! Those four engines were not supposed to come off now! No engines were supposed to come off at this time. And they were the only four functioning nuclear engines.

What's worse, they're carrying away four XL parachutes. Ah well, let's test landing anyway.

screenshot2602.png

Speed and altitude is what you manage during a landing.

- And this ended exactly as you might guess! I refused to take a screenshot of the mess. Do your own orange screens. It's not hard.

screenshot2605_1.png

Funny, I only *improved* a few things on a perfectly functioning rocket that has done a return surface to surface mission to Laythe. This always happens. That's why it takes me so long to build a good rocket.

So I fixed *everything* and took off again.

...At least it's only four nuclear engines which don't work this time...

screenshot2606_1.png

It was a pretty long day, ehm, decade at my Space Center...

I visited Moho, Dres and Eeloo today. I'm not sure what was the toughest one. I always had to bring >2500 m/s dV for an orbit around them. Am I doing it wrong?

This was to finish all the "Explore X" contracts that were left, since I've never been there before.

And now I'm a bit depressed, since that's it. Sure I can visit the Mohole but not with the stock engines. The transfers took long. For Eeloo over two years in game. And timewarp is not fast enough to make it a pleasent ride, you actually can feel how long it takes to get there. This made me think a bit about human space exploration. Space is big, really, really big. And empty as well. Either you can travel very fast or you're going to be years and years stuck in a tiny capsule with not much to do to get to other planets. New Horizons took around 9 years to reach Pluto and it was a fly by mission, not the kind you you would do if you want to get to an orbit. So, if we going to explore space, we need much faster ways to do so.

I, for myself, will now use Hyperedit to get into orbits or use a Alcubiere drive mod... it's a game after all.

Oh, btw: Are there any other non-procederal missions after I visited Eeloo and is there a list somewhere?