What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today at HARM industries, we did some exploration in our UH-100 chopper....

af4avQh.jpg

Then we docked our SSTO SP-360 to the space station in orbit at 100km above Kerbin.

XVIfmcH.jpg

After refueling at the station the SP-360 took this lander with tourist to Minmus and landed there.

p5h0F2u.jpg

Only to bring everyone home safely back to the KSC on a soft landing on the runway.

K6c8QmL.jpg

Built a (very inefficient) rocket to place a small coms sat in geo-stationary orbit. Inefficient as in I had to put 4 large radiators arrays in the main engine to prevent it from exploding, still mechjeb had to reduce the thrust to about 40 percent, to get into a 75km orbit. Then I raised the AP and circularized in several steps until getting to the desired orbit.

Suggestions for a better design? I have AIES and KW Rocketry.

Built a (very inefficient) rocket to place a small coms sat in geo-stationary orbit. Inefficient as in I had to put 4 large radiators arrays in the main engine to prevent it from exploding, still mechjeb had to reduce the thrust to about 40 percent, to get into a 75km orbit. Then I raised the AP and circularized in several steps until getting to the desired orbit.

Suggestions for a better design? I have AIES and KW Rocketry.

Pictures would help...

Finally resumed playing KSP. Started a brand-new career with a bit of realism thrown in (FAR, RT, DRE, KCT, realfuels, & a bunch of other minor stuff. Man, CKAN is awesome).

So, today (it was actually past-midnight yesterday evening... which technically is "today".) I did my first kerballed Mun landing in this playthrough. Since I don't have any docking ports yet, I made a two-stage lander with all the heavy science parts on the descent stage, which I left on the Mun after extracting all the experiments and bringing them into the capsule to take home.

104_first_mun_landing.png

I liked Rune's Heinlein vertical takeoff SSTO so much I made a couple of larger variants. First, one that could serve as a crew shuttle, then one that could serve as a fuel shuttle (I'm testing that one right now). Next up will be one that can lift big cargoes, though I might need to make it a two-stage vehicle due to T/W limitations.

Well, the gals are bored with Laythe. Seems my Kerbals get bored with laythe much faster than Duna. Let's start the return journey then. Seems like Valentina and Madly have agreed to let Kimene do the start. Kimene hasn't piloted a rocket since the old Exokerm days. Should be alright though. Climbout in the Kronos_B is as easy as it gets.

- Just remember to rectract the solar panels dear.

screenshot1684js.jpg

Yeah. Just like that. You should get it pointed a bit towards the East though.

screenshot1685js.jpg

You need to get a lot of horizontal velocity vector here, in order to get a stable orbit. Everything's fine, just do as Valentina tells you. You can't fail.

screenshot1692sj.jpg

Almost there. And we're fine on fuel.

screenshot1694sj.jpg

Textbook stuff. In orbit. We didn't even have to help with the nuclear engines.

screenshot1697sj.jpg

Now we can take it easy and plan how to get out of here, escape Laythe and Jool. Using Tylo for slingshot is strongly recommended.

Edited by Vermil

Figured out why my attempts at launching the MunBase One support module kept ending up plowing into the ground outside the tracking station... for some reason the orientation of the probe core had it thinking it should be pointed tail up! :confused: Once corrected, successfully landing it on the Mun was straightforward. Now, to send the crew up and hook everything together...

I had a decently busy weekend. I kicked things off on Friday night by launching Bob aboard another Fireball 7c craft on what I had hoped to be his final scientific exploration mission. Launch and transfer burn went off without a hitch, so afterwards I went ahead and checked in at the Minmus mining site. Sufficient ore had been gathered to send up another load to Minmusport, so I unhooked the Wildcat 7 lander from the rest of the mining rig and sent it on up. Docking was a success; the ISRU kicked on and started chugging away. I wound up filling up all of the fuel tanks associated with the station completely - including a refuel of the Wildcat - and I had excess ore, more than enough to fill the refinery module's storage tanks while still leaving some in the Wildcat. My plan for now is to leave the Wildcat in place - I won't send it down again until more ore is needed. I'm pretty happy with how my Minmus mining operations have gone up to this point.

After that I went ahead and launched another Mosquito 7 drilling rig en route for Mun - while my Minmus mining operations have been a rousing success, Munar ops have been less than stellar so far. Launch and transfer burn went off without any trouble. With that done, I decided to go ahead and try to move some craft off the berths at Munport 1, starting with the Project Peacock craft docked there - I refueled the craft with what little fuel remained at Munport 1 and flew it down to dock with Munport 2 in a lower Munar orbit. Munport 2 was also low on gas but still had sufficient fuel remaining to refuel the Peacock when it arrived. Moving the Peacock turned out to be serendipitous...

After focusing on Munar mining next, Bob arrived and began his run. He hit the Twin Craters and Southwest Crater regions without issues. There were several reverted attempts to hit a narrow, nearby stretch of Canyon by the Southwest Crater, but after three attempts it was decided to just have him hit the Northwest Crater instead. Landing at the Northwest Crater was harrowing - he wound up in a region with a 26 degree grade, tipped and slid down a hill. Fortunately nothing broke off of his craft and after finagling his craft for a few minutes I was able to get it upright again. Not the easiest thing to do on Mun without RCS. I got most of the Northwest Crater science gathered, but the Kraken struck when Bob went EVA for a surface sample. That pretty much killed Friday night's gaming.

When I loaded the game on Saturday, I discovered the Kraken had had no ill effect (thank God), so I finished gathering Bob's science. With his craft low on fuel, I launched him to orbit, only to discover his craft didn't have enough gas to return to Kerbin. He was only twenty degrees off the plane of Munport 2, though, and I remembered that I had moved the Peacock there, so I went ahead and aligned him with the station and then sent the Peacock to rendezvous with him (Peacock was designed with rescue ops in mind, after all). The rendezvous was a success; Bob collected all of the science he had gathered and transferred it to the Peacock, and the Fireball was abandoned. The Peacock was then sent back to Kerbin and made a successful rendezvous with the Kerbinport space station. Bob was immediately put to work in the station's science lab processing the experiments he gathered and filled up the station's data buffer. I only needed 2200 science to max out my tech tree and there's 2500 potential in the station's buffer, so aside from the insufficient fuel hiccup, Bob's mission was a success. Plans were drawn up to have more scientists sent up to Kerbinport to assist in the emptying of the data buffer, as well as to transport the experiments back to KSC.

Meanwhile, the Mosquito launched on Friday arrived at Mun and was put into orbit. It subsquently landed very close to the existing Mosquito lander on the Munar surface, but not close enough to the Midas processing lander for the winch cables to reach. Luckily, Theogel was on the surface and he still had the KAS tools from the refueling op he'd done earlier last week, so I got him out, took one of the winches off the Midas (that thing tipped over so it's not like it was going anywhere any time soon), attached it to the existing Mosquito and ran the line from there:

ISYsHR9.png

Munar mining output now exceeds that of Minmus, when I can get the damn thing to run right.

I had big plans for yesterday but I wound up doing some much needed maintenance on my computer, including a disk defrag. Those plans will have to wait until this evening, I guess.

After days of trying, I managed to register for this forum!

I haven't done much of note recently, except in the past few playthroughs, I...

Launched and landed Munokhod 1, a Mun rover. After about 10 minutes of driving and 2 kilometers, it went over a cliff, and, me being me, forgot to add reaction wheels or anything to turn it over, so it crashed and exploded.

Launched an interplanetary mission. I intended to go to Eve, but had no idea what the launch window was, so I changed plans when getting an encounter proved difficult. I instead went to Jool. Ended up flying by at several thousand kilometers. Got a faraway view of Jool's north pole. So that was fun.

Attempted an SSTO. Messed up the landing gear the first time, so it couldn't liftoff and Jeb had to jump out before crashing into the ocean. Second launch, it got into the air, and flew up fine. Controlled like a block of lead, but I made it to about 15,000 m and changed modes on my Rapier engine. Ran out of oxidizer very fast. I'm not going to use Rapiers anymore.

I'm pretty bad at this game.

So I was wondering why my life support system suddenly displayed a warning that energy had run out on one of my ships. - While I actually calculated the whole time in darkness + energy usage. Couldn't find a reason my cells weren't generating, even though I wasn't in the shadow of kerbin.

Until I looked away from the cells:

JGJNAMI.jpg

I tried 1.0.5, and it broke almost all of my mods in hilarious ways. Looks like I don't have the time to try it properly before the weekend.

The obligatory rocket to test the new Vector engine:

105_test_1.jpeg

It went to orbit in 64K with a plenty of fuel to spare. It also looks like the SAS was behaving better than in 1.0.4. The Vector feels like it's the perfect first stage engine for the smaller 2.5 m rockets, at least if you tweak the gimbal range down to 20% or so.

This is what a reentry looks like when the mods don't like 1.0.5:

105_test_2.jpeg

Edited by Jouni

First I tried the Juno engine. Then I sent a probe to the bottom of the ocean.

HJBCfX5.jpg

It's calm and cold there, I tell you. Otherworldly. The probe floated down like a ghost, and only exploded upon hitting the bottom.

Planets with oceans are doubly as interesting now. We can't get "Temperature Scans from Laythe's abyssal plains" yet, but that isn't stopping me.

Well, over the weekend I got a bunch of mods, which worked. I also realized 8.3 is not the current version of BDArmory, so got the new one. which resulted in the kraken. Imma have to deal with my addons for it not working and use what I've got. I also made a nice plane with KAX that looks like a Douglas Dauntless SBD Divebomber from WWII. Take off at about 40 or so m/s, fifty for it to take off on its own. Flies like a dream. Can't wait till I get a chance to try out all the new parts! And to try out the Orion nuclear pulse engine, since I removed that mod trying to get rid of the kraken. it should phase out my non-existent heavy lifter fleet completely.