What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 hours ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

I used config editing to invent something called the lithostick. It's an I-beam, but with 1000 m/s impact velocity. It's capable of landing a command pod on Kerbin without parachutes. It's an excellent way of getting things home safely, not stably. 

Nice.  Be sure that it won't destroy the pod though.  Sometimes they will hit it, and only that part will survive.

10 hours ago, LordKael said:

Definitely practical enough to just move the 3,200ton rock. Plus, the fact that you have it in an orbit of your devising is a huge point of pride. 

I'm currently in the process of trying to land an asteroid for no other purpose than that I think it'll look cool sitting on the surface near the KSC

I may try to land one later, but this one has space station written all over it!

I just did a drilling test, and I'm blown away by the results.  The resource count you get when you right click the asteroid is tons, not units... I wasn't sure until just now... and this one is still over 3000!  I drilled 1000 units of ore, and it only ticked off a few tons on the resource counter.  I'm not sure how to do the math, because I think having Bill along factors into the efficiency somehow... but off the top of my head I'm pretty sure this means I can expect to eventually get hundreds of thousands of units of ore, perhaps over a million, from this one asteroid???  I think???

yeah... definitely a refueling station!!!

Sick from work because of Dental surgery and looking for something to do while recovering, I continued my efforts to send my "Odysseus" mothership, with it's rover and Miner to Moho...

In today's "episode", I got tired of my old miner ship with a measly 12k ore at maximum load.  So I designed another more massive one to speed things up. 
It can carry 30k Ore and I have it connected to the mothership right now while my other one (which will be going to Moho) is down mining on Minmus' surface.
It's in the process of converting all that Ore to LF.  Man the tanks on the Odysseus are endless :D

Today's picture :

bkyB0BJ.png

Edited by Francois424

11 hours ago, Carepanda said:

Visiting Mun for science after visiting Minmus is really great idea.

Why is most of landings comes w/o of sunlight?

Refuelling after visiting most of eqautorial biomes.

Lander in left corner. Detached to free docking port.

Assembling back.

And heading to polar orbit.

All biomes visited.

Time to go home.

Upper atmo.

Burning last fuel.

bb carrot.

Light 2.5m pod with heatshield = easy kerlanding.

... or kerwatering...

150 experiments. Mostly from Mun. Some grav scans over Kerbin included.

And 8k science even without eva and crew reports.

what are those glorious fuel tank on the lander and 2.5 meter command pod from?

5 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Nice.  Be sure that it won't destroy the pod though.  Sometimes they will hit it, and only that part will survive.

I ran a test, and the pod survived. The breaking strength is lower than the impact tolerance, so the lithosticks fell off and dropped the pod safely to the ground.

I was worried on the decent because the velocity was far higher than the lithosticks could withstand, but I ended up landing at 160 m/s, well within safe limits. I was pretty stoked that the proof of concept worked. 

Now, so that I stay within the confines of the thread: I planned a rescue mission to Duna and decided that Aerobrakes are my friend, no matter how much I neglect them. 

1 hour ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

I ran a test, and the pod survived. The breaking strength is lower than the impact tolerance, so the lithosticks fell off and dropped the pod safely to the ground.

I was worried on the decent because the velocity was far higher than the lithosticks could withstand, but I ended up landing at 160 m/s, well within safe limits. I was pretty stoked that the proof of concept worked. 

Now, so that I stay within the confines of the thread: I planned a rescue mission to Duna and decided that Aerobrakes are my friend, no matter how much I neglect them. 

Have you considered making custom model?

This is probably obvious to everyone but me, but just today I realized that you can land on parachutes, blast off back to orbit (after ISRU refueling for instance), then EVA and repack the parachutes IN SPACE!  No more need for elaborate strings of ladders to get to them on the surface.

It worked!!!  I moved my big asteroid into a 2,500km orbit!  I'm so tickled I want to open a bottle of champagne!!!  lol

I started this morning by adding a tower with 2 big radiator panels, just in case, then added an engine pod.  This is very simply a small Kirby tank with a Rhino and 8 thuds on top of one of my RCS pods.  I went with the shorter fuel tank because I can refuel it, and to hopefully keep it from flopping around too much.  I also had to launch this pod with the top fuel sections empty to keep it from flipping.

4Mknw1Y.jpg

Once I got it to the asteroid, I replaced the RCS pod opposite the command pod with the engine pod, refueled all the tanks, spun the asteroid retrograde, and tried it out.  I figured if it didn't work I could try adding more engines, but much to my delight it moved just fine, and took about 3,500 km off my orbit before running out of fuel.  The orbit was about 20 days at this point, so I just drilled and processed fuel while it came around back to PE, and did it all over again.  Doing it like this it took about a half dozen orbits to get it where I wanted.  And she still has nearly 3,000t of resources to drill for!  Awesome!

0Ib3XVk.jpg

irsY9Ne.jpg

From here I'll unclamp and get rid of most of this stuff, then start to build my space station.  I already accepted a decent contract to start a new one, so at least I'll get a little of my funds back... very little.. I've spent over 2 million on this so far.  No big deal, I have plenty of profits, and lots of eager tourists waiting to visit... it's worth the investment. 

And now that I have this beauty to play with, I think it's a good time to start a 1.0.5 mission report.  My interplanetary tourist program now has a central command station, and we are open for business!!!!

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, The Optimist said:

lol I hate this game. Probe missed Duna by 2000 meters and is now going to hell. GG

A missed planetary encounter is a newfound opportunity! ;) (assuming it has power, thrust and enough dV to do something interesting. failing that just rename it to Voyager). 

Edited by katateochi

Today I launched the last part of my mission to Duna. The transfer window to Duna happened a mere two weeks after the window for Jool, so as soon a their vacation was over the KSC staff went right to work building a new mothership to send to Duna. Fortunately, Duna's much closer and only has one moon, so the orbital assembly has only taken five launches as opposed to over 30 xD

Guest Space Cowboy

Lost a full days work on the falcon due to editor lock up, saved the current model in such a way that it is not loadable again. Auto saved model was from the beginning of the day, with no edits, even after having saved 20-30 times today.

Played some more with my frigate, now with 100% more motion in the ocean!

screenshot242.png

More pics:

Spoiler

Early prototypes did not have the right historical feel:

screenshot203.png

But a bit of tweaking and it worked better:

screenshot215.png

At top speed, not bad for a sailing ship:

screenshot240.png

How it works, a completely historically accurate and realistic propulsion system:

Spoiler

screenshot238.png

Also pictured: The enormous amount of ballast required when you make a tall ship with metal sails.

Gratuitous glamour pic:

screenshot166.png

55 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Played some more with my frigate, now with 100% more motion in the ocean!

You need futtock shrouds beneath your tops, or do Kerbals use the lubber's hole? ;):)

Seriously that is one cool ship!  

Edited by KerBlammo