What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Aerodynamic stress is fun, disintegrates rockets and makes surviving boosters do fun things. :D

UBuYZfv.png

Looks like you made yourself three Norwegian UFO stargates, well done! :)

NB: Do(n't) read the comments on the video, they're absurd :P

Edited by Yakuzi

Discovered that my interplanetary ship had not enough fuel to get back home after entering orbit around Eve. The crew, now doomed to die when the food runs out, is as demoralized as I am. After a series of other failures in my space program, I think it's time to end a fun 1.05 career and wait for 1.1... still undecided.  

Edited by Musil

9 minutes ago, Musil said:

Discovered that my interplanetary ship had not enough fuel to get back home after entering orbit around Eve. The crew, now doomed to die when the food runs out, is as demoralized as I am. After a series of other failures in my space program, I think it's time to end a fun 1.05 career and wait for 1.1... still undecided.  

That is sad news.  :(  ...well, I think there is one thing a space program would feel obligated to do.  They not have the fuel to get home, and resupply may not reach them before they die, but I think the Program would owe it to them and their family's to return them to Kerbin for burial.  I would send a refueling mission (and control-pod if necessary) to bring them home.

Not saying it isn't a distressing and demoralizing state, and maybe one that might also cause me to cancel my own manned program, but I think there is cause for an inspirational move here on Gene's part.

2 hours ago, Musil said:

*Sigh*  Time to get out that red folder speech then.

Today I practised launching and reentry. I also figured out how to track the debris as it falls to Kerbin. I had one fuel tank with an attached motor and decoupler come in so fast and so flat that it started glowing just as it was crossing into the daylight side of the planet's atmosphere. It didn't slow to less-than-incandescent speeds until, just after it crossed over into the dark side, the motor exploded. I expected the fuel tank and decoupler to explode almost immediately, but apparently, they're so light they slowed down to safe speeds and suffered no further harm, until the ground rose up to smite them. ;)

Edited by SSgt Baloo

I made a second entry for the simple and satisfying Mun and back as light as you can challenge.

My first entry was a pretty straight '60s tech Mercury Style mission (24.389 ton). This time I went The Full Exotic (4.038 ton):

• no capsule
  • ion for vacuum
  • jet first stage

The only non exotic part was the piloting, MechJeb handled almost all the lifts, manoeuvers, and landings. If I could figure the jet piloting I can see how to drop another 900kg and get within 400 kg of the current lightest entry.

I worked out that the final EVA splashdown at 37 m/s was like jumping into water from less than the current world record of 60m - so 'realistic'.

I built some planes. Both are designed for Search and Rescue operations at low altitudes. They fly just stably enough that cruising 200 meters of the ground at 200 m/s isn't absolutely terrifying. It's only mostly terrifying. 145CEBD5B6E6C69626444C32C8B690F72D367755E0CD9F5F8C834A31D12396CCE9DB3BD35DC4BF45

The plane above is capable of flying without its tail. I haven't had the chance to see if its older brother can do the same. 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

14 hours ago, Musil said:

Cheer up, mate. So you're playing with life support. Any chance you can get a very fast ship there loaded with food just to get them to survive longer, and then a slower ship loaded with fuel? If you're playing KCT, too, and have no backup rocket ready, then my condolences to the crew :( 

7 hours ago, Bill Zarr said:

I did some rover testing on the Mun, finished a build a station round the Mun contract and tinkered with my tug design a bit.

That's one cute rover!

9 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Working on finalizing some of my Saturn V and Saturn IB parts and accessories, so I can move on to other boosters. Did a side-by-side screenshot last night (Saturn IB).

KGzHaGj.jpg

Look at those puny launch clamps!!!

1 hour ago, SERPERNTINE said:

Today, I landed my first Mun Lander!

Congratulations!  

1 hour ago, SERPERNTINE said:

To think of it, how do I get back.

That depends on how much fuel you have.  If you have only enough to get back to Munar orbit (much easier than landing, just take off and start an immediate gravity turn and thrust as gently as you can while still building your apoptosis height) then you can get back out there and send a rescue craft to rendezvous with it.  If you have a little more fuel left over after you get to Munar orbit, then you can usually get back to Kerbin by getting out of the Mun's sphere of influence (which is relatively small) and then thrusting at the apoapsis of your high Kerbin orbit such that your periapsis is within the upper atmosphere and then just aerobreak until you descend.  But if you lack the fuel for even getting back into Munar orbit, then your only option to get your Kerbals back is to attempt another landing with more delta-v near them and have them Munwalk over to the rescue craft.  

The scientists on Minmus are running out of things to do and are considering a location change in search of something they refer to as "data", the engineers on the other hand like their current geometrically sound site. So a meeting was held, there were frank and open discussions. It wasn't pretty. Paper  cups were thrown. In the end the engineers stated that the nerds and throttle jockeys could do what they liked but they would be building a proper fuel facility on the flats where things didn't fall over simply because of geography. The pilots stated that they hoped the facility would be online before the universe collapsed rendering fuel obsolete.

Following a night of brainstorming and sketching on napkins in a cloud of decidedly aromatic smoke the engineers unveiled the first of the "Eddie Kerbart" range. A utility rover, hauler/lifter and a portakabin full of curry pies and tea.

screenshot113_zpsztrw5urt.png

Initial testing proved the vehicles were actually capable of movement but were marred slightly when Bill ran amok in the pilots car park.....

screenshot111_zpszhqt2sib.png

Due to a sudden lack of co-operation the engineers had to design their own vessel to transport their toys, enter Deliverance mk1.screenshot108_zpsdkw4evlb.png

"Er........ I think we should have loaded the rover BEFORE rolling it out"

Logistical hiccups sorted she lurched into the sky en route to Minmus.

screenshot117_zpslmwa5v5b.png

After an uneventful trip it was time to deploy the Mk 1 plonkinator cargo deployment system.

screenshot105_zpscectqb7m.png

screenshot107_zpsgp71gd8y.png

Following the non-derp landing it was decided to launch Deliverance 2 with a lengthened cargo bay and larger payload.....

Here things did not go so well although Bill felt that overall it was a total validation of the manipulator.

screenshot122_zps0w5c4le1.png

screenshot124_zpsk03gsag5.png

Clearly a (slightly) less idiotic system is needed. Currently there are multiple angle grinders heard in the spaceplane hanger and suspicious hole where  a transport aircraft used to be......

Today I once again landed on Tylo but this time I made orbit afterwards - OK, on the third attempt, but I made orbit. I had 21 dv left to spare. Cutting it kind of close. You can see the MJ info screens but it was for info only. Very pleased. Eve, here I come.

kZNGBXU.jpg

This week I have played around with "ship building."  Stacking capsules on top of booster stages often doesn't solve all problems or provide the most satisfying result.  I wanted to address the twin issues of Science Jr parts overwhelming the return capsule and also the lack of variety and late availability of multi-crew capsules.  Both are completely stock and use "logical clipping" (my term, sue me).

The first example here is built using aircraft cockpits and successfully flew to and returned from Minmas, however the EVA was scrubbed due to the difficulty of reaching the egress points for this cockpit.  It masses 18.6 tn in 128 parts, and is powered by a 909.

The second example has only had re-entry tests, and unfortunately lead to an undesirable but necessary landing leg offset to avoid damaging it's 909 on landing.  It masses 16.1 tn and has 127 parts.  I will not be using them in my current game, but they will be concept ideas for my 1.1 modded game.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm