What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

You're supposed to make the plane stealthy, not the hangar!

Mission:

The Kerbals at Cutrate Track and Field wondered whether it was really insane or not to launch a long range bomber from the middle of a championship soccer field. Needless to say, this is where you come in.

Today I *finally* made a successful space plane...  It jettison the double Whiplash around ~25k, and then it's a big Glider with a single nuke for getting to space and maneuvering.
No cargo, but since I am awful with space planes in general, just making orbit, surviving re-entry, and landing is good enough (atm).
If I put just one out of 2(max) crew into it, it is perfect to grab Kerbals from LKO.  Fuel is a bit tight tho.

Ready for take-off !

q1YctVQ.png

Wow look at that thing go! (Will reach ~1000m/s just as the Whiplashes die, keeping a 30 degree angle)

F0KLP84.png

Whiplashes jettisoned, Nuke engaged !  That stage is 9.6 tons with fuel, 7.6 without.

sfEI4f4.png

Stable 80x80 orbit achieved !

OBtc8Ml.png

Re-entry flames... This thing is an extremely nice glider, holding -40m/s in stable re-entry, and will even skip twice if I keep a 20 deg angle.  The re-entry is usually the time I reactivate Pitch on the 4 inner ailerons, and even with, not really good pitch control below 20k.  Next revision will have bigger ailerons, too dangerous to leave as is.

EgVgL8X.png

I was going to land in a little valley just pass some nasty mountains but game crashed because... KSP.
So reloaded and unfortunately this time I had to ditch in the water.  No damage.  Mission successful !

VNxdubI.png

Edited by Francois424

Again I've been playing other games (dwarf fortress, mostly) for some days, but today I returned to KSP and did a lot. Usually I tend to do as much as possible in the least in-game time, but whenever a new KSP release is imminent, I get the urge to achieve as much as possible in the current save before abandoning it for a fresh career in the new version. So, finally I've decided to use time warp more generously and finally got some stuff done.

• I've adjusted the orbit of my SCANsat around Moho from 750 km to 250 km and switched from SAR to narrow band scanning.
  • I sent of a base for its trip to Gilly. It is vastly overengineered, as the contract was just asking for place for 5 Kerbals, a docking port, an antenna, and solar panels, yet I chose to send along a science lab, and some gigantors to supply it, so that in the future I might eventually use this base. Given that I don't need much science any more, probably it'll just lie dormant on Gilly, with no crew...
  • Using the same transfer window I launched a probe for flybys of the Mun, Eve, Gilly, and Duna, which will then go to Ike and fulfill a satellite contract. If one doesn't send any scientific payload this stuff is pretty cheap, and the "do several flybys with a single craft" contracts are quite profitable.
  • I did a course correction for my SCANsat for Dres.
  • Most important: The Kerbals gathered in the last three rescue missions around Duna have now been sent to Kerbin.
  • I've deserted Duna Station, my orbital complex. The science lab is far from done with all the data gathered, but I've nearly finished the tech tree, and all the science stored in the transfer ships capsule should easily suffice to unlock the last few nodes.
  • Ah, and I finished two satellite contracts around Kerbin, but those are hardly worth mentioning

Spent the last couple days trying to fix my SSTA. It was pretty hands off, easily making orbit even with all the mining equipment installed. Then I added 2 of the smallest batteries (for emergency power) and offset the front landing gear to raise the nose on the runway. Afterwards it would not build up enough speed to make orbit no matter what I tried. I even reversed my tweaks. Finally added a little attack to the canards and we were back up to speed. Headed back to Minmus to a high ore landing site. This is when I learned how slow the mini drills and ISRU are at converting to fuel. I have 4 on board radial ore tanks. Eve using warp I've only added 60 m/s of fuel. That's filling and converting 4 tanks twice so far. I'm thinking a large mining station is on its way to Minmus.  

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

Spent the last couple days trying to fix my SSTA. It was pretty hands off, easily making orbit even with all the mining equipment installed. Then I added 2 of the smallest batteries (for emergency power) and offset the front landing gear to raise the nose on the runway. Afterwards it would not build up enough speed to make orbit no matter what I tried. I even reversed my tweaks. Finally added a little attack to the canards and we were back up to speed. Headed back to Minmus to a high ore landing site. This is when I learned how slow the mini drills and ISRU are at converting to fuel. I have 4 on board radial ore tanks. Eve using warp I've only added 60 m/s of fuel. That's filling and converting 4 tanks twice so far. I'm thinking a large mining station is on its way to Minmus.  

You can speed up more for the mining and it will continue, you don't need to stay in physical.

3 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

I sent a mining lander to the mun, and found out it didn't have enough fuel capacity to go to orbit and deorbit again, sent it home, found out that it hasn't go a chute either...

Rough day, no wait, typical day in KSP.

1 hour ago, superstrijder15 said:

You can speed up more for the mining and it will continue, you don't need to stay in physical

Yeah, I was going to the Space Center and warping to next morning to get full ore tanks. Back to ship. Turn off drills. Start convertor. Then do it all again for 30 m/s of fuel. My ship holds 15k+ This will take forever. Don't have the power to let it all run - unless exiting to space center will cause it not to check power usage.... Let me check that.

Started working on a new launchable station design.  This is the backbone.

3b367d0ddad6d70fad6d688eef48fc5d.png

I'm debating on 2 tiers or 3 tiers.   I will post the finished one as well.

Another in-development screenshot.  I know how it'll look now.

ac471b16075303addcce99a4f7f8f821.png

Edited by Draconiator

I concluded my my low gravity rover experiment. I had sent two rovers/hopper on two vessels to Minmus a few weeks ago to see which design is best:

2016-02-27_00002%20%28Small%29.jpg

I had left Aldlin parked next to one of the landers so he climbed inside and went home.

2016-02-27_00007%20%28Small%29.jpg

2016-03-01_00006%20%28Small%29.jpg

At least I think this is Kerbin!

Next was Joedin, who was in the electric rover. I drove the 20KM or so from that photoshoot location back to the pink vessel icon and then realised this was the lander that Aldlin had flown away in as it had more fuel than the one he had arrived on! All was left was his abandoned rocket car (that has been parked there for about 110 days now) visible in the first screenshot :( Bah.

2016-03-01_00011%20%28Small%29.jpg

I've got a very long drive to the other lander now :(

Edited by Stewcumber

Nothing much happening for a couple of days. Spirits are high in both the deployed teams. Danvey cleverly brought a gourmet cooking book, 'Potatoes in 101 ways', so every day's a feast on Duna.  The Laythe team is just burning for their transfer trajectory to Jool. And they will do that for a good while. In fact Mission Control will go to bed and let them continue burning tomorrow. At least the rocket gets nimbler for every tank they empty and shed.

screenshot3489j.jpg

21 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

@Snark

Finally Orbited Laythe!!!   :D

It was a b...  sore trial.  Twice I had encounters set-up when un-plotted interference from Tylo disrupted them, but I finally had a 46km aerobrake set-up across her face which lead to a plausible burn for orbit.  This was my biggest moment since successfully docking, though my Duna 'balled mission is set to go in the next transfer window if all goes well.

Yeah, it's a b..
I've done it a few times, I've done it five times, if I count. Three unmanned landings and two manned. Can't say I knew what I was doing the first four times (and maybe I was just lucky the fifth time, and it actually isn't as easy). Now,.. I've progressively deviced a plan: Make continuous course corrections all the way, as you get closer. Aim to get a counter-clockwise turn around Jool, getting sucked up in Jool's wake. Get it flat around the equator. Then aim to get a braking slingshot from Tylo - Tylo sneaks up on you from behind as you cross its path. This will turn your path sharper towards Laythe's orbit. Watch out against getting an orbit that dips too low around Jool. That's a death-trap that costs a lot of fuel to get up from, but you should asap, as it also costs a lot of fuel to defend against slingshots wanting to throw you into Jool, if you stay there.
Matching the encounter with Tylo is surprisingly possible. You simply brake in good time so you time your arrival to Tylo's orbit just as Tylo is in the right place.

Edited by Vermil

I did It's so Classic!

This is literally the fifth time I have put this video on the forums

Gonna watch it once more and then hit the hay.

Nope, I watched it twice.

Edited by DMSP

17 hours ago, Francois424 said:

No cargo, but since I am awful with space planes in general, just making orbit, surviving re-entry, and landing is good enough (atm).
If I put just one out of 2(max) crew into it, it is perfect to grab Kerbals from LKO.  Fuel is a bit tight tho.

First rule of splaceplanes is that fuel is always going to be tight.  Tyranny of rockets applies even more harshly to spaceplanes, in my experience, to the point that you can sometimes make them perform better by removing fuel, but that only exacerbates the fuel tightness.  

27 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

First rule of splaceplanes is that fuel is always going to be tight.  Tyranny of rockets applies even more harshly to spaceplanes, in my experience, to the point that you can sometimes make them perform better by removing fuel, but that only exacerbates the fuel tightness.  

I thought the first rule of Spaceplane Club is you don't talk about spaceplane club? Or was that Fight club? :confused: