What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

after reading @Val tutorials on spaceplane design I finally managed to get one into a 75km orbit and have it return without losing stability. Finally time to turn down the funds and run a reusable spaceprogram!

And now to work, a place where Kerbal only exists to fill a two hour delay in surgical rotations!

4 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I guess 2 rapiers and a nuke, but that means carrying oxidiser

RAPIERs can be launched without Oxidizer, better than Whiplashes can, since RAPIERs have higher air breathing top speed.

At 20 t it should be possible to pull off a 2x nuke + 1x Whiplash/RAPIER.

Or you could try 1x nuke + 1x Air breathing.

qOAiuGK.jpg
More info here

Damn hard to balance trust with CoM for vacuum use, though, it might be easier when adding some crew cabins to counterbalance the offset airbreathing engine.

Personally I prefer a 2x nuke + 2x Air breathing, for the ease of balancing.

This one probably lacks the range for your mission profile, but maybe it can serve as an inspiration.

2cJL1TL.png
Craft file

It's easily able to reach orbit even if you remove the Oxidizer, but probably won't be easy to land and takeoff from Mun with.

Edited by Val
Consistent spelling is key

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

(Any other RP-0 players spend way too much on KCT simulations?)

The testing for my latest moon landing attempt took six times the amount of time and over thrice the cost of the actual mission (and the mission still failed anyway).

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Tried to make an orbital rocket in RP-0 using tier zero tech and within the 40t base pad limit:

screenshot106.png

Hot staging! The rocket had enough delta-V to do it, but lack of attitude control once out of atmo foiled the attempt. Adding an RCS system and better avionics to add that control would cut into delta_V too much. I may have to give up and get lighter avionics and engines better than Aerobees and A4s.

(Any other RP-0 players spend way too much on KCT simulations?)

Have you tried spinning it up for stability if not actual guidance?

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Have you tried spinning it up for stability if not actual guidance?

Yes, the uppermost stage (gray cone at the top) has two small separation SRMs to provide ullage and spin it up for stabilization. The trouble is I can't get it pointing the right way before spinning it up, there's no RCS system and the sounding rocket avionics allow staging only even if it had one.

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Yes, the uppermost stage (gray cone at the top) has two small separation SRMs to provide ullage and spin it up for stabilization. The trouble is I can't get it pointing the right way before spinning it up, there's no RCS system and the sounding rocket avionics allow staging only even if it had one.

Ah so. Do you have any control at all, like from fins, lower down?

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ah so. Do you have any control at all, like from fins, lower down?

Gimbals and an A4 avionics package on the large lower core stage, that's it. The middle stage has some small fixed fins to keep pointing prograde, but that's it. I really think the design is not salvageable for its intended purpose, gonna have to redesign. But that's part of the fun, right? :) 

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Gimbals and an A4 avionics package on the large lower core stage, that's it. The middle stage has some small fixed fins to keep pointing prograde, but that's it. I really think the design is not salvageable for its intended purpose, gonna have to redesign. But that's part of the fun, right? :) 

Hmm. Well it is possible... I've made unguided orbital rockets in 64k and I know some have existed in real life. But easy, and on a shoestring dV budget, perhaps not...

Well, as V1.1 is approaching, and the only mod I have, KVV, will stop working, I felt pressed to put together a graphic presentation of Ikaros_G.
This took many hours and more than a dozen crashes and reloads. I get like 2-3 screenshots from KVV before it crashes.

Ikaros_small.png

...And I made a ton of small mistakes. Whatever, I'm tired of this.

Edited by Vermil

Today I managed to add a few more parts into my custom pack (and hoping that 1.1 does not break all of them).

I fixed an issue with the Balka Solar Panels where they would not track the sun properly.
Managed to get the M27 cockpit ( from B9 Aerospace) working without the whole mod.
Created a 4-way RCS thruster block (from the stock model), but it uses LFO @ 240 ISP / 12 thrust.  LFO is gone quickly but the control authority is quite impressive; landed the M27 cockpit on Duna with 4 of them !
Managed to re-find the Origami antenna... Oh I did miss this one as well.

Unfortunately, although I managed getting the part below working in my install, all my attempts to make it follow the sun like the stock radiators failed. 
Most likely because the part does not have a Pivot (for the panel to turn on) and I did not find any mod, post of forums, anything, that would make this work.
Going to have to plead to the community to fix them for me if at all possible.  It should not take long at all for veteran modder, but I lack the knowledge and the tool to fix it. ;.;

These 2 things took the better part of the afternoon (with the Balka Panel taking me another 2 hours). 

2YrQwNJ.png

I finally got around to visiting a Mun Arch.  For the first time in 1.0.5.

And it turned out to be a "World's First" progress milestone...!

Yeah, that's probably common knowledge, and I'm the last one to figure that out.  [What can I say?  My space-tourism service just isn't all that exciting, I guess.]

But I'm all jazzed by it.  Now I'm going to have to go hit the Armstrong Memorial, and a Munolith, and and and ...

Holey Moley, I wonder if the KSC Monolith or the Island Airfield count, too...?

Hmm...  It's never occurred to me to try SCIENCE! up there.  I wonder if "on top of a Munar Arch" counts as its own separate mini-biome for EVA Reports, sample collection, etc....?