What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today, I finally got back into KSP since I couldn't hold off form 1.1 any longer.  

Did the 64-bit hack to make all the mods I like work, cried a little when I learned KerbalStuff went away, cried a little more when I looked at how pretty KSP is in 64 bit, sobbed uncontrollably when I caught up on some of the dev notes and the hype thread.

But in all actuality, I was a bit rusty so I did the KSC rover science thing and got Jeb into orbit for the first time.  Next up, some more orbits for science and the RemoteTech constellation.

6 hours ago, N_Danger said:

Since I found out 2 weeks ago that ANYONE (not just people who are good at it) can upload to YouTube I've been inflicting videos about this game upon my friends and family.

Here is the one I made today: 

Video's tend to become way more awesome when you put music under them...

16 hours ago, astrobond said:

Hi All :)

Waiting for the 1.1 ksp version without steam to help, i made a 1.05 Eve Mission with my 1.04 modified lander :) 

Ksp full stock parts, KER, PreciseNodes and cosmetics addons.

752tons, 192parts, 342562funds..

One launch.

Fly safe with Valentina :)

That lander is pretty impressive. Very light weight for an Eve Ascend Vehicle. Well done!

As a bit of light relief from the expanding Duna mission I started a new career save mostly to practice early career (prep for 1.1). Currently at the kill billionaires fly tourists to orbit stage. So I took my old newbie designed tourist bus and tried to maximize income with it taking stuff off, trimming the ablator oh and changing everything behind the pointy bit. Turns out it may have been "slightly" over engineered as the Launchpad ready cost went down by just under 2/3rds. Ermahgawd.

On the science side I decided to build an orbital deployment system to place a rover in each of the Kerbin biomes except for the ocean (hopefully). The idea being that after the initial survey and recovery of the crew the rover would remain in situ to attract those tedious but profitable "conduct survey near stupid probe" contacts.

screenshot108_zpszktrlnce.png

screenshot114_zpso9ihhdzq.png

Test flying proved the concept. And the need for a tad more stability.  Although at the time I really should have spotted the derp moment waiting to happen......

screenshot116_zpsnlv4d4cd.png

Not sure if this is that efficient a way of lowering the CoG slightly but it looks good.

screenshot123_zpsmcyjkshl.png

With a full suborbital lob the system performed flawlessly..........

Right up to the point where numpty decided to lose the weight of the heatshield forgetting that it was staged with the parachute.

screenshot124_zpsbpmcmffi.png

Ooooops.

Staging sequence sorted it just remains to tack on a first stage to give enough oomph for orbit.

0f66bfd8829d7bffd03b52a40c5ef75b.png

Early development prototype for a Duna orbital rescue pod for my expanding Duna mission.  I can't seem to get enough fuel while still keeping the weight down...I may just say to hell with it and put another tank on.

Next big ship I have to design for the mission is a driller for refueling purposes, landing at Minmus first to refuel before heading to the Dune.

Just now, Draconiator said:

Early development prototype for a Duna orbital rescue pod for my expanding Duna mission.  I can't seem to get enough fuel while still keeping the weight down...I may just say to hell with it and put another tank on.

Looks like you could definitely lose some mass there. Try swapping out the RTG with 4 -OX Stat panels, and changing the cone at the bottom to a nosecone with fuel. If you changed the chairs around, you could probably lose a set of RCS, too.

8 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

Video's tend to become way more awesome when you put music under them...

True. But when you pick the wrong music people will kill a video very quickly as well despite the contents.
There are several people (to keep the peace I won't name any by name) that make great video's but have a terrible taste in music. Others simply do not have the right voice or think they are WAY funnier than the actually are. Constantly dropping F-bombs won't help either.

10 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

True. But when you pick the wrong music people will kill a video very quickly as well despite the contents.
There are several people (to keep the peace I won't name any by name) that make great video's but have a terrible taste in music. Others simply do not have the right voice or think they are WAY funnier than the actually are. Constantly dropping F-bombs won't help either.

Yaeh, that's correct. I just dislike the silence and tend to stop watching if the ksp space music starts playing from my ksp.

Been While since i've posted, been doing little bitty science runs, and test runs for a my first interplanetary, and designing best rover/buggies on mun and minnmus. Had to send another rover/buggie to mun, cause one flipped, and was doing the whole observe things contract, where you observe one spot, no anomaly here, and game would give you a new location to run too, so I sent a rover to make it easier on me. So I made one a little easier to drive that wouldn't flip as easy.

00492A6DF70BAB4C5ADA3D847C0913B6F16E8005962A8D39C3E3E41437D13E3DA8245551C46474D6 Managed to upright this one and continue on after making a bunch of adjustments to steering, brake torque, and motors to use. Wish you could control the power/torque to the wheels on top of using the brake torque. Ended up in a few craters within craters which was a nail bitter. but finished the contract finally.

0B9222DAE78466A5A9C18798EB921936207254C1

Then sent a satellite up for contract, I may have over powered the launch platform, but once sal helped me figure out what was going on with my s3 14400 tank not letting me attach engines to, I couldn't help but use them. 

DF392AC0859DDE001CE274AC1E998E7D083DD540

B0A7AC3F0BE424EA27073429CAD72611ED6CEA57

6BDEDAAB10D274A63438C66F0FD1E1AEE5998805

6BDEDAAB10D274A63438C66F0FD1E1AEE5998805

1526D2955AAF7245EE9572D856DEA280C7D1F7F1

7674466A36C06FA9E6D2C10C289441CA076139DE

FB04022B670DF916C8A683EB20A748988BD0ACAD

And landed on minmus for a couple contract completions at once, no launch shots.

855AD4B98A0C138728BA64576343E14178EF3252

6fa996c208b348c3ec1aa67d3f39ccd7.png

Figured out a solution to my rescue pod.  The spark got ditched for a Terrier and I put a transfer stage behind that (also powered bu a Terrier).  As well as added another tank to the pod itself and 2 more chairs.  No chance of Kerbals missing in orbit with THIS thing.

For the past few days, I've been recording a career mode series with the Duna Space Program mod.  I'm going to try to finish the voiceover for the first episode today.

3 hours ago, Draconiator said:

0f66bfd8829d7bffd03b52a40c5ef75b.png

I'd suggest getting rid of that big RCS tank. Do you really need 1000+ m/s dV on RCS alone?

I also think the Reaction wheel is way oversized for such a small craft. You should be able to make do with what is provided by the Probe Core.

This stripped version has almost a 1000 m/s dV more on main engine and 600 m/s dV on RCS (when main engine fuel is gone). That's 3200 m/s dV in total.

QVtRe9j.png

If you're worried of running out of RCS, then tap CAPS LOCK to engage Precision Mode. That'll reduce RCS consumption and minimize rotation when translating with RCS.

Hope it's useful.

On 3/5/2016 at 10:34 AM, ShadowZone said:

I tried out a new SSTO design... went a bit haywire during reentry :P

https://giant.gfycat.com/EarlyKindlyHapuka.gif

But at least the mission was a success!

Haywire reentries are common for spaceplanes, in my experience, especially if they run out of power on the way down.  Still, so long as you can recover from it when you are in the lower atmosphere but before you hit the dirt, I call it good.  

21 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Haywire reentries are common for spaceplanes, in my experience, especially if they run out of power on the way down.

If you are running out of power on reentry I'd recommend having a fuel cell for such stages of the flight.

Interesting fact: Buran used fuel cells (LOX/LH2) as the power source in orbit, but for reentry and landing due to increased power consumption it used a small APU turbine (LOX/kerosene, same fuel as for orbital engines)