What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've finally started to use ISRU, by launching an empty ship to LKO a few days ago. Today I started the first fuel transport from my Minmus refinery to LKO, and also hauled some ore from the mining base to the refinery. While I appreciate the fund savings one can get through ISRU, it's quite boring to do the same ore-hauling mission over and over again...

Anyhow, I thought this would be a nice opportunity to show the construction of my mining station:

...The mission...  Yeah, about that...
Many, many years ago, when Vermil's Space Agency was in its infancy, Bill was the first to orbit Mun. Fascinated, he orbited Mun at low altitude. Suddenly, he saw something very strange: An arch on Mun's surface! He was very excited of course, and as the arch quickly disappeared behind him, he had no idea of that it wouldn't be seen again, despite many Mun landings since. Bill, of course, had no idea of where on Mun he had seen it. It was also at this time Bill had his unfortunate 'marooned-in-space' experience, only exceeded by his fortunate escape from the same. But alone in a cramped pod for months, starved and dehydrated, he wasn't regarded as 100% credible.

But then, recently, Mission Control saw a rumor on the internet. Someone claimed he had seen the arch. So maybe there was some truth in Bill's old story? And there was a vague description of where. Close by the north edge of a large crater. Going back to records of Bill's mission, Mission Control figured he could make a fair guess at which large crater. So that is the mission he gave Cerly's gang. Wild goose chase? Maybe. But at least they will be out of his hair for a while. And who knows, maybe those tenacious b..., er, lovely young ladies will actually find it. Wouldn't that be something?

Back in the rocket, the gals' enthusiasm had vaned, however. To Cerly's continued amazement, the Firebrand_F handled like a dream, but nothing much productive had come from it. The girls plan had been to do what Bill had done - orbit at low altitude, and scan the surface, particularly the suspect north edge of the crater. But orbit after orbit, they had come up with nothing but tired eyes. A feeling of defeat instilled itself. They wouldn't find it this time either.

screenshot3611jg.jpg

But a mission is a mission. They decided to land at the north edge of the suspected crater and do some exploring on the surface, with the rover. Maybe, just maybe, they could cover a large enough area to rule out that it's there?

screenshot3622jg.jpg

Given the excellent handling & landing qualities of the Firebrand, Cerly should maybe have paid more attention to where her landing was aimed.
Because here's the first of some bothersome problems: They have landed in a 'small' crater, the walls fencing them in.

screenshot3628jg.jpg

And here's another: As the release button for the rover is pressed, it is indeed released, but it also becomes stuck on something. It's loose and dangling, but it doesn't drop to the ground. Maybe it's the magnet and Mun's gravity is not enough? Maybe it's something else. Eilla makes desperate efforts to make it come off. Here she is jumping on it.

screenshot3636jg.jpg

But Cerly and Asdra have seen enough. If Eilla keeps this up, something bad is going to happen, she'll get stuck in the structure, or fall, hitting something hard with her legs and die. They call Eilla back into the rocket, explaining that they've come up with a better plan. Cerly will take off again, and land again, hard this time. "Just keep it below 7 m/s", Eilla asks tiredly.

And behold: It worked!

screenshot3641jg.jpg

As a bonus, their rocket is now also standing more level. Remains to get up out of the crater. 

Edited by Vermil

9 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

m6C6L3X.png

Just launched my N1-style rocket when my computer thought it was about time to update.  I decided to shut off the first stage in a few second's time in true N1 style.

That's a nice historical launch you've got there! ;)

8 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Built one of the sets for 2001: A Space Absurdity

VjZfVWN.png

CCgESGI.png

FYI, the Joolian Discovery pack has surface-attachable HAL (well, "KAL") eyes, and monoliths. :)

13 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

That's a nice historical launch you've got there! ;)

FYI, the Joolian Discovery pack has surface-attachable HAL (well, "KAL") eyes, and monoliths. :)

When I started on making the models for the story, I thought about looking into what 2001 models were available for KSP, but decided to keep with stock parts.

Finished the first part of RO/RSS recreation of what the constellation program lunar landing might have looked like. Some screenshots (most of the material is in raw video):

Currently sitting in orbit, testing power/lifesupport systems for a few days before TLI.

Today, I launched and docked the main lander stage for my Jool 5 Challenge mission. I plan to, in the next hour or so, send my mothership to join up with them then "make sure my staging is correct" before I leave LKO on my way to the Jool system......

I thought the designing for this was a nightmare......

The thought of an impending mission scares the life outta me! 

2 hours ago, Draconiator said:

And the guys at JebX are being crazy with experimental stuff:

7f2f063c4bb51318ac69fa4470504e1d.png

I love small Juno engine jets !

8X3jc8Q.png

u9oyQ4u.png

6n7Y1Ml.png

OQv1Kqn.png

I keep making these little buggers...:cool:

Edited by Triop

Got myself about 1M+ funds in career by hauling 3.1k units of ore from Duna orbit to Ike orbit. Used the interplanetary vehicle for that mission which just blows fuel out of the docking ports it seems...but hey, I've got an ore converter on board...

12 hours ago, Frank_G said:

8v1OYkC.png

This is by all means amazing. Very nice replicas... The little details, like the functional gun turret on the falcon... wow.

Thanks, I'm working on a companion video to the one I just released to walk through the ship designs and dogfight techniques.  I'll be posting the craft files along with it

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Triop, do you find it ironic that one of the people who "liked" your strutless spaceplane is named "CatastrophicFailure"??? :lol:

Anyhoo: today I had to get old school. It turns out the mothership on one of my current Minmus missions is an old design with an outdated remote control module. A module that doesn't have prograde, normal, radial, or target hold. So I'm having to do this docking maneuver with nothing but original SAS, and of course that other handy piloting tool--the seat of my pants.

Cue Top Gun music, this dock is gonna be----ohcrapiforgottopausethegamegottarunbye

It started as a trial of one type of propulsion vs another, but I screwed up the fuel tanks on the nuclear-powered vessel. The first one I sent out has very efficient LF/O engines. I had it rendesvous with the stranded ship, and then tow it home. It only took 14 years and a good part of another to complete the round trip. 

AS-99_zpsed3weavn.jpg

lsYxnOp.png

After 2 days in a low nearly-polar orbit of the Mun, Valentina was ready to come home.  The scientists were absolutely giddy hearing all about what her keen eyes picked out on the Munar surface - over a dozen EVA reports, because that capsul window is so tiny and she wanted a better view.

NIWCz9B.jpg

She was certainly happy to be greeted by a Kerbin sunrise shorlty after a safe splashdown.  The Space Center threw a huge party upon her return home.  The cost of snacks consumed was astronomical, but the bean counters assured everyone that the contracts had paid for it and it was well worth the 230 science brought home.

Today I declared Bill Kerman to be the most badass, durable Kerbal in my space agency. A failed spaceplane test went spiraling out of control. It was headed for the water, so I ejected him. He casually slams into the water at 250 meters per second, and survives.

The funniest part is, the command pod he was in also somehow survived the crash....

Launched and Landed main piece of my Mun Base Tango Foxtrot, then proceeded to land the second piece 16k away from it, at least it has wheels right. Did some Science on Kerbin at the North Pole then flew and dropped rover (has chutes) to just north of dessert  to collect science. Didn't realize you can't switch between crafts while one is flying and the other is parachuting and landing/ed in atmosphere and attempted to switch back to craft that dropped the cargo and it wasn't there, switched to admin. building and they were dead. WTF. anyways I got my science and went back to driving piece 2 to piece 1 on mun. attached kind funky like. It fit normally on Kerbin but not on mun. Might of adjusted something on accident in the VAB. Got it to work with tipping over piece where port went under 1's port, tilted 1 and pitched 2 back to flip up 1 and attach, contract complete. Still have 3 more pieces for this.

B8146ADC97274D985E17306C20BF924BFE7F9BCB

F1A7409C754474AA6760230D9A161BBBD971E4B1

7E265744200F9EA1B877C26321741F6F55C048BE

38B3FAF5C7BB63FC2C92A21AAAC51B9B7A344936

C3996D43FA62CB8E1BBDEAF1E33425D60AFA7C38

F2C83CB010B4930D7882172CCF5C56266DE0872B

E6BE9950DDE9073F4D322AA6D12C3A0407FF29BB

C9AB05E394ECEFF46B0E873C069B8D99A79EDC5A

EF5719518055137F91E4CB74135B6546E5F3C392

B7A69D8C2EEF67D174D1C1AAA1FD44EC0CF189CB

Wheelie on the Mun

638154B6EDDD9DFE528191BD2824CBB030B892F3

A67EBB2CED700166998B87CFDF6AE8A6AA3A66D0

E3D6284577BC4E95BB9FAEB9CB6CC3771A8AAA69

417C6E9B658FB74E8985312967C44DD456872587

9659EE88A2DBD47B6BD60D7F09EFA9E129ABC115

got more rocket parts to my station and today i build new interstellar ship with 2 warp drive engines and 4 reactors and alot of energy,good amount of delta v,main engine powered with uranium and tungsten..

this ship going to jool-going for bop landing,the lander that i got for this ship is ideal for bop,and i never went to bop!2mrb9sz.pngb9 parts are awesome :Pafgevo.png30cw2lf.pngdocked with the station,than got the lander 28a5fle.pngsmall humble lander- ideal for bop :Dsgh7wn.png23sg80m.pnggreat view from the pod 2i0bu3l.png20797xc.png