What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I further tested the Pan-American Orion shuttle design, as I shared in a previous post, but this time with a modified version of the booster. Believe it or not, in spite of runway drift to the right (this is when a craft on the runway naturally pulls to the left or right), I was able to get it into the air. I had installed MechJeb on the booster craft in hopes I could program that part to return to the KSC and land on it's own as the Orion module attempted to make orbit.

In the process, I learned the linear aerospike engine perfers oxidizer, and it bled the shuttle completely dry. So, while the booster did achieve the targeted altitude of 22k, the Orion shuttle was still unable to make orbit.

Edited by adsii1970

Today was an interesting day. I tend to rotate my kerbals, Jeb did the first Mun orbit, Val got the landing.

Today the focus was Minmus, I sent Val off with as much science add I could, check out Minmus go orbital and get some science. All was going well, that is until our little rebel realised she had enough fuel to land. The next thing we know we have a communication black out, and fifteen minutes later we get ground photos of Minmus. To say jeb was livid would be an understatement, I think. Hard to say, he always has the same blank grin.

To make it up to Jeb we decided to send him on a rescue mission. Oddly enough back to Minmus. After much work Jeb managed to get into orbit, only to find he was going the wrong way compared to the rescuee. Jeb took the opportunity to make his orbit perfectly match the other vessel. Then as they approached each other he thottled up, switched direction, and matched speed with the vessel in one attempt. And that's when Jeb discovered the vessel had no door.  This hasn't been poor Jeb's week. After fighing the urge to get out and push her suborbital, he returned home.

Shortly after arriving home a new mission to rescue a Kerbal stranded on the surface of Minmus came in.  With jeb grounded for medical reasons, the job was given to val. Shortly after lift off Val was found locked in a locker. It seems Jeb, desperate to step foot on Minmus, had snuck into the rocket. Jeb showed his skill landing in a lake bed less than 2.5km from the stranded vessel. He took the time for a space walk, collected some science, planted a flag then did a quick burn to get within 1km. 

After meeting with the stranded kerbal, jeb realised he was a scientist and politely asked him to reset some of the experiments, though we have conflicting reports saying he would leave him behind if he didn't. After a few additional experiments, Jeb brought home over 800points of science and rescuedva Kerbal. We may over look the locker incident, and the report of rude hand gestures made while passing a kerbal stranded in minmus orbit. Now we've unlocked the claw it could be time to plan another reecue mission.

(Apologies for any weird formatting, posted from phone)

Edited by Moh1336
fixing all the white space the phone left.

Baiting the kraken.

RbYZqim.png

Or what happens when you don't watch your real altitude, but the sea level one. As it turned out the surface was a bit closer than 5km. Smashed into it at 25m/s. For some reason it didn't disintegrate, even though the upper tank is clearly a bit further from the probe than it would normally be. After 7 more minutes of tumbling both on the surface and above it, I finally landed it properly. Sort of. Looks just like new. It's on Iapetus btw.

vlfvimZ.png

Edited by ptr421

Minmus Hub advancing. Orbital research lab established. Now first proper base I ever built in KSP put on Minmus (previously I just built big rockets to fulfill contracts, but those days are over). Minmus Base had a couple of hiccups: two Kerbal Planetary Base hubs to land in one go. Because I am too stupid to use Throttle Controlled Avionics, I opted for a docking port and a big fat ugly tug craft to land them. First tug engines in too close proximity, base destroyed in orbit. Second tug better, but wrong docking port used. Somehow landed the 2 parts, but controlling them with micro-stuttering every 2-3 seconds due to KSP lag is quite a frustrating experience. I also tried to find the most flat part of Minmus with decent resources, but no matter what, with the weels lowered the base always wants to move. 

Valentina was not supposed to be on board, but the greenhouse gets her 300 days of supplies.

Continued an extended surface exploration of Kerbin; Kimmie Kerman, fresh from a trip to Minmus, placed three control point flags blazing a practical trail around the mountains west of KSC.  Reconnaissance probes are in storage, awaiting launch windows to each of the principal planets (other than Eve-- two initial flyby probes are closing in and will go past within 28 Kerbin days, and the follow-up probe is just leaving Kerbin's SOI).  A large (E-class) asteroid will make a close pass by Kerbin soon, passing between the Mun and Minmus, but a rendezvous mission is not practical at this time.

By technical definitions of 'landing' that were made up on the spot, the spaceplane has landed.

I've been playing career mode for months now, ascending into the interplanetary age. If that sounds like a long time, it's because I thourghly colonized Minmus before leaving Kerbin's SOI. Anyway, the problem with that is I have minimal practice landing a plane with no parachutes, airbrakes, or thrust reversers. My other planes had thrust reversers, but Panthers apparently don't. After invoking the emergency paracute system and hardware-assisted lithobraking, the plane landed. Two engines and a fuel tank were sacrificed to slow down the rocket. But Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Valentina have come home!

nEprnOB.png

Meanwhile, the biggest rocket I have ever built will soon be entering the testing phase! It will bring Jeb, Bill, and Bob to Duna.

6cmDDo4.png

Also meanwhile, a Mun base was constructed to fulfill a contract. It will probably be used for science, and possibly shipping ore to Kerbin Station, where it can be used to refuel crafts and still let them use the oberth effect. Landing that VTOL lab on top of the core just right was a pain. I should have used the wheeled base on the Mun and the rocket-built base on Minmus. Mistakes were made.

c5iQfBZ.png

No pictures because I'm posting from my phone and can't get to my screenshots at the moment.

EDIT: added pictures!

Edited by msasterisk
moar pictures

While the other teams have had their contortions on Mun and Duna, and are now safely back, Kronos_C with Tandan, Bilfal and Sigrid have finally arrived at Jool and Laythe.

Tandan decides to eject 8 nuclear engines to raise the dV of the remaining propellant.

screenshot3996jg.jpg

And there they are ready to go into orbit around Laythe.

screenshot4007jg.jpg

Braking.

screenshot4016jg.jpg

A pleased and relaxed Tandan at the controls. Outside the windows, Laythe and the distant sun are visible.

screenshot4021jg.jpg

1 hour ago, Mikki said:

@regex, excellent looking aircraft, looks real calm and relaxing to fly...! :D

It's a total pig, but that's probably because I have the maximum fuel load it can carry.

13 minutes ago, Vermil said:

How do you refuel?

With the claw, because apparently Kerbals can't have nice things.  Of course, if I had fuel lines I wouldn't have needed a fuel truck, but anyway...  It actually has a very good range with max fuel load, I bet it could make it halfway around the world without refueling if I didn't meander around so much and just flew straight West.

Edited by regex

I've been playing at least that long also, and have never yet seen the sandcastles myself.  Although, I must admit that I don't see forests very well, too inclined to look at trees...

Last night I built a ship that will fulfill five contracts in the Duna locale.  The main one is to put a base on the planet that includes a science lab and 4,000 units of fuel.  I am nowhere near the tech for ISRU, so it must be dropped there in a ship blasted off from Kerbin.  Along with a satellite and a ship to Explore Ike, this is the mess I came up with: 

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%205.42.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%205.42.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%205.42.3

After getting it into orbit and refuelling it, I was still concerned that by the time it got there and was placed into a stable orbit it would have enough fuel left, so I built and get a tanker into orbit that will tag along just in case...

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-05%20at%2011.43. 

I should break even in terms of money, but the science rewards will be immense.  Launch window is still about 100 days away...

Thanks to a bug, I somehow managed to mess up the craft file of my spaceplane. As I didn't have any backups, I had to rebuild the vessel from scratch. Due to some error I linked the contents of the cargo bay to the plane and not the cargo bay to the plane. Turned out the spacecraft was no longer able to go supersonic (which is a bit a useless spaceplane if it can't go supersonic). Anyways, found the error in the end and rearranged some components of my space station with the aid of the claw...

Still modding 1.1  , I use Adams ISS to test the mods I add as it has over 700 Parts an makes my PC sound like a Hoover , 11 FPS , ok so its not great but its smooth ans playable . Plus its only for screenshots anyhow .

ISS%204.png

ISS%2013.png

Edited by Puggonaut 2

B8uOuWt.jpg

...yup :) 

Also... an easter egg I have never noticed before :o  Unfortunately I'm using Engineering Tech Tree and I don't yet have the capacity to target it for a closer look. Finding this little guy was total luck, but I shall be heading back out here as soon as I have some kind of plane :) 

*edit* I'm 90% sure this is due to having installed Kerbin Side. Never had the memory space for it before so it's catching me by surprise :) 

kHX92Zn.jpg

Edited by eddiew
discovery!

Today i started my sixth moon Mission Phoebe 11. They are still on their way to the Moon.

9C87DB484B93CE0DD0BEFF6E1F0EE668A322FFD4

Shortly after the Mission was launched and the TLI performed i prepared the second launch of the Day, a new Solar Module for my Valentina Space Station (Named in Honor of the first lost Kerbal in this Savegame)

4F6516C21603F2602C8E609CE204F6E24AFBC866

But the Rocket suffered from a total loss of control seconds after the launch and it crashed in the Atlantic Ocean.

After ordering a new Rocket and a new Solar Module, i switched to my Venturer 1 Probe which is still on its way to Jupiter.

19FE714165034F7065992A59804B3E58F5A46AB9

As last Mission of the day i launched my first Mars Rover

8F73E58E8B80B3A5AB12DD8F736808B40512732E