What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I set up a system of standard launchers for 5, 10, and 15 tons to LKO. As a bonus, the 5-ton carrier is SSTO! :) 

I used the 10-ton carrier to launch two Jool transfer vehicles into LKO. One has a Laythe rover (it would go to Bop, Pol, or Vall, but aerobraking...) and the other has a long-range communication satelite, as a relay between the rover and Kerbin. Anybody know of a good place to land on Laythe?

Having sent up my first Mun lander of my 1.1.2 career the other day...

...I'm now seeing how many things I can do in one launch.

I have contracts for plant a flag on Mun, science from Mun surface, satellite in equatorial orbit of Mun, spacewalk around Mun and science from space around Mun.  So I figured a beefed up version of the above lander could use the radial tanks to carry 3 satellites, a ScanSat to go in to polar orbit and 2 RemoteTech Komsats to go in to equatorial orbit.  Unfortunately as my smallest engine is currently the Terrier each satellite weighs nearly 3 tonnes, so uprating a 6 tonne craft to carry an extra 9 tonnes of payload is proving a nice challenge :D

Decided to make my OWN engines out of stock parts because more power in smaller packages heh.  I saved this one as a subassembly and I think it'll see heavy usage.  I intended it as a 1.25m version of the Mammoth, made with 4 Thuds and a FL-T200:

ccc6f9c677efd4970526ab61f9796b76.png

20 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Attempted to hit the VAB with a supersonic cruise missile. Apparently, the VAB becomes a ghost at speeds above 800 m/s... The missile, which had a DIRECT HIT, simply passed through unharmed. :confused::confused::confused:

Over Mach 2 you can have some over-penetration of the target...:rolleyes:

-Jn-

7 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

Over Mach 2 you can have some over-penetration of the target...:rolleyes:

-Jn-

I thing that's a bit of an understatement...

To be honest, I'm quite happily surprised to find out that I could hit the VAB at those speeds at all. Yeah, it's a big building, but at that speed, the missile is rather... twitchy. 15Gs+ maneuvers twitchy.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Attempted to hit the VAB with a supersonic cruise missile. Apparently, the VAB becomes a ghost at speeds above 800 m/s... The missile, which had a DIRECT HIT, simply passed through unharmed. :confused::confused::confused:

Hehe, at 800 m/s the vessel travels 16 meters in every physics timestep (20 ms) so if it's shorter than that it could go straight through...

Made a Mun flyby without upgrading anything but the VAB once. Calculated needed dV and phase angle, put a ruler on the screen, hit in first try. Getting back was a nightmare, though. The ship was not entirely balanced, and it flipped and burned in low atmosphere five tries before getting a proper shallow angle, so I could use the transfer stage to balance the vessel. Touched down with much needed science to unlock the 400 unit fuel tank. Only 5 science to go before I can unlock OKTO core and spam the Mun with robotic probes.

On 5/9/2016 at 0:55 PM, Padishar said:

Yes, it appears that all asteroids are spawning as 150 tons.  Perhaps you can add some more info to this bug report: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9392

Edit: Though it does make contracts for larger asteroids quite a lot easier... a 150 ton class E takes a lot less pushing than a 3000 ton one... :wink:

I encountered a 13,000 ton class "B" the other day...what the heck?
I built a rocket to try to stop it but it took one minute for every m/s of burn time and it would cost over 4000m/s, so I just HyperEdited it :P

5 hours ago, DChurchill said:

Ok, now I'm gonna have to do that.

I used the field behind the runway, it's the largest tract of flat land. I also used six radial drogues to slow down. :)

I didn't track my time, because I was more concerned with testing the design, but I got up to some pretty darn fast speeds.

Plus, it's given me some experience playing with the new gear at high speeds.

5 hours ago, Padishar said:

Hehe, at 800 m/s the vessel travels 16 meters in every physics timestep (20 ms) so if it's shorter than that it could go straight through...

From crawlerway to Mk. 1 Park? Don't think it's that narrow.

More experimentation will be done tonight after work.

Tonight I goofed around for a bit and made a model of the Oskar  EW-5894 Fleischgewehr! (Absolutely not a ripoff of the Oscar 5894 Phallus from Hot Shots!, it's self absolutely not a rip off of the Folland Gnat. Terrifying name for an airplane, that.)

RzUUXEH.png

The resemblance is clear, right? Huh? Huh? No...?

5W7D2KY.png

(Yeah, I suck at making models)

It actually flies pretty nice. Re-engined, and I could almost get it up to Mach 3.

ljbXU3l.png

Shooting the K2 gap at just below Mach 1, not a scratch!

1hUQOqT.png

Er, wait I think something's missing....

y95yI4C.png

Pulling to the right, hmm...

Honestly, I expected better from Katnis Kerman...

DeBChlo.png

... and a perfect landing!

jxytZxs.png

Now, to find a certain disagreeable spaceplane pilot...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Tonight I goofed around for a bit and made a model of the Oskar  EW-5894 Fleischgewehr! (Absolutely not a ripoff of the Oscar 5894 Phallus from Hot Shots!, it's self absolutely not a rip off of the Folland Gnat. Terrifying name for an airplane, that.)

RzUUXEH.png

Wow! That thing looks nice. You might get me back into the aviation part of the game. :D

TBH: I was thinking of the Tornado at first...

Edited by TrooperCooper

I tried to make my replica of a Focke-Wulf 190 better, and failed.

The first picture is the (attempted to) improve, and the second is the older.

It only got messier ;____;

I did have fun playing around with tanks though.

75G5Ij6.jpg

nL8eXxv.jpg

wAmDoiJ.png

Still trying to gain enough morale to rebuild my space station after my save crapped itself and I had to transfer my craft files to a newer one..

13 hours ago, moogoob said:

I used the field behind the runway, it's the largest tract of flat land. I also used six radial drogues to slow down. :)

I didn't track my time, because I was more concerned with testing the design, but I got up to some pretty darn fast speeds.

Plus, it's given me some experience playing with the new gear at high speeds.

I wonder if there's a stretch in the desert where there's a flat spot?

3 hours ago, Columbia said:

I tried to make my replica of a Focke-Wulf 190 better, and failed.

Don't sell yourself short. That's a solid 190. Tiger looks good too.

Haven't had too much time lately, but I did finally return two kerbals who were rescued from the surface of Mün and recently loitering in Mün Stayshun.  Joining them were two scientists who made the surface-to-station trip in a truly big hunk of grey ugly that you see docked at the top of the station:

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%205.32.4 

The four of them were chauffeured by Val in a nuc taxi back to Kerbin Stayshun...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%205.42.0

… and arrived just in time for the union-mandated monthly snack-time break.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%206.00.3 

Then they were lobbying their union reps to get their boots back on the ground after over a year away from their homes, and on their behalf the higher-ups made a deal to create the cheapest vehicle possible that would complete the task.  Thus this spaceplane was born, borne by four SRBs into orbit:

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%208.24.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%208.26.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%208.30.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%208.43.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%208.43.2

The return trip was hot.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%209.01.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%209.13.0

Edited by justidutch

I've come back to KSP for the first time since 0.23, playing in science mode (after a bit of reading up, career seems a bit too restrictive for me personally). So far I've performed multiple manned Mun and Minmus landings, sent an unmanned lander to Duna, and I'm about to do the same for Eve. One of the things I'm most pleased with, however, is this monolithic space station with fuel capacity:

vmk46l7.jpg

pbWP52w.jpg

It was a great pleasure to design, launch, set up and rendezvous with, simple though it is.

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

How did this work out for you? I had the hardest time maintaining lift with almost any atmosphere.

So far i had no problems. But that may be due to my flight profile. As KSP has no electric propellers, i orbit the planet and dive into the atmosphere to do the science experiments. Afterwards i send it back up into orbit. It is meant to do that on Duna. I yet dont know, how it will perform there.