What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Crashed my second drone on Serran, after a premature parachute deployment forced me to cut the chute and attempt a rolling landing.

Then crashed it ten more times in test flights on Kerbin. Closest I came was actually rolling for a bit and applying the brakes, then it just wheelbarrows over and blows to smithereens. Now maybe I'm a rubbish pilot, but really I have to conclude the thing is just unlandable.

Feeling put off KSP altogether now. The freaking landing gear should not be the hardest part of aeroplane design! (Certainly not when the entire aircraft weighs under a ton.)

Edited by cantab

I started a new series! (watch it in the spoiler below)

Spoiler

I also am working on modding, both All Y'All (Removing those pesky ForEach loops that were great but are now bad for reasons I don't understand but accept, and also trying to trigger multiple experiements on the same part) and possibly also WarpUnlocker (which I want to tweak to my personal liking). But modding can be a super huge chore for me so who knows if either of these will actually happen :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

3 hours ago, cantab said:

Crashed my second drone on Serran, after a premature parachute deployment forced me to cut the chute and attempt a rolling landing.

Then crashed it ten more times in test flights on Kerbin. Closest I came was actually rolling for a bit and applying the brakes, then it just wheelbarrows over and blows to smithereens. Now maybe I'm a rubbish pilot, but really I have to conclude the thing is just unlandable.

Feeling put off KSP altogether now. The freaking landing gear should not be the hardest part of aeroplane design! (Certainly not when the entire aircraft weighs under a ton.)

Are the brakes enabled on the nose gear? If they are, try disabling them. :wink:

FINALLY got a functional SSTO spaceplane with a useable cargo capacity:

ECcVxp2.png

The Valkyrie is going to help build my previously-posted Voyager craft. Not sure quite yet how much upmass she has, but it's several tons, unlike all my previous designs which capped out at about 1-1.25 tons payload.

First manned Eve polar landing.
VuQuXatl.png
I found that land/ sea and biome on eve don't match well, this is an surface sample while splashed down on Eve's pole 

Next is to take the rover out in the water to do more analyzes however the rear engine designed to get it up again don't get fuel even if showing it has fuel.
Will try to have Bob pulling the rover with an kas wire, or if he can push it while swimming, failing this I might tilt it and move it with the landing engines. 

Plan is to do two or three landings and get all science from Eve. 

Doing some testing back at spaceport about the rear engine problem I found that both pushing and kas winch let the kerbal get the rover on ground again.

However the weirdest part was that an kerbal with stuff in inventory sink
NyNS8asl.png

The splashed down at poles is not new, on Kerbin you can splash down at shore. 

17 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

However the weirdest part was that an kerbal with stuff in inventory sink

Wait really? This will be helpful for planting a flag at the smiley face.

Anyway, I'm getting ready for another asteroid rendezvous, let's hope it's a Magic Boulder :D

With Extraplanetary Launchpads getting a fix for 1.1.3, I was able to build the dual greenhouse life support module for my space station at the station itself. Extended my supplies quite a bit, but I need to make sure to send some fertilizer with my rocket parts shipments. Next up will be some basic tourist trips for some more money before sending a mapping probe to mun to pick a base location.

13 hours ago, MDZhB said:

Also, page 999!

Cool!
How did you know you'd got the 1000th page when you posted (and not been appended to 999)? I've been watching the page 999 on and off today waiting for it to tick over...

13 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

Cool!
How did you know you'd got the 1000th page when you posted (and not been appended to 999)? I've been watching the page 999 on and off today waiting for it to tick over...

Math is my co-pilot! 

24,974 replies + 1 original post divided by 25 replies per page gets exactly 999 pages. The 24,975th reply is actually the 24,976th post. 24,976 divided by 25 gets 999 with a remainder of 1. Hence,  post 1 on page 1,000. 

-Jimbo Jangles

2 hours ago, Jimbo Jangles said:

Math is my co-pilot! 

24,974 replies + 1 original post divided by 25 replies per page gets exactly 999 pages. The 24,975th reply is actually the 24,976th post. 24,976 divided by 25 gets 999 with a remainder of 1. Hence,  post 1 on page 1,000. 

-Jimbo Jangles

And that's why I love the KSP community.

Some messing about Millenipost stuff

CudZQVO.jpg

Squat is the way to build a rocket according to Bill

Brief flight over to the pyramids

YtVm8eA.jpg

And decided if remote tech was gonna be there then kerbal would probably have built a ground network. 16 identical stations transmitting around the kerbin system attached to three low tech (probe core, communotron, solar panel and a battery) low orbit probes. How to stop the planet blocking your view, make the planet your view!!

Qi4N6jg.jpg

Qp458o9.jpg

Start of the larger side of fun

24 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

@Kertech you may want to look into Kerbinside, it provides fixed base dishes for RT - and as they're actual buildings they don't suffer from the problems parked vehicles do.

Hmmm, might do, I just had quite a lot of fun sending them off in suborbital/orbital trajectories...

I've been playing around in 1.1.3, and I'm glad to see that wheels are fixed. Today I just decided to explore KSC. It is actually really detailed, and you can even climb from the ground to the top of the VAB by stairs and ladders. Also, does anyone know what "SMQ 28" refers to on the back of a truck at the R&D area?

Also, page 1000!

I decided I would have a go at using the KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool to help me plan a manned Eve flyby (my first). My goals were to:

• Have a periapsis of under 400 km at Eve (to get the In Space Low science), ideally very close to the atmosphere so as to maximise the amount of time spent under 400 km, and to maximise the gravity assist
  • Have a periapsis of 30 km at Kerbin (for re-entry)
  • Have a mission time of roughly 1 Kerbal year
  • Minimise delta-V costs
  • Have short burn times to increase burn accuracy
  • Bring back from low Eve space an EVA report, a crew report, a materials study, a goo observation, a pressure scan and a temperature scan

The mission involved three burns in total:

• A trans-Eve injection burn while in low Kerbin orbit, to send Jeb on his way
  • A burn at Eve periapsis, which, along with the gravity assist, set my Sun apoapsis outside the orbit of Kerbin. This increased my orbital period so that Kerbin could catch up with the ship
  • A burn at Sun apoapsis, to achieve an encounter with Kerbin

I ended up using a Poodle engine on a relatively small craft - this made the burns quite a lot more accurate than they would have been if I had used an engine with lower thrust. I was able to get a periapsis at Eve of 100 km, which gave me roughly 8 minutes in low space, plenty for doing experiments, performing EVAs, retrieving data and performing the periapsis burn.

The theoretical total delta-V from low Kerbin orbit to re-entry was 1250 m/s (which I think is reasonably good?), and I actually achieved a few m/s below this. I was able to adhere to the mission plan very precisely, so the whole mission went very smoothly, and that's something that pleases me very much.