What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Did some more working on that heavy cargo spaceplane concept I was experimenting with last night.  Have some more trials to do, but I can at least get it into orbit reasonably easily.  I call this, the Narwhal:  

Seems to have plenty of Delta-v left by the time it hits orbit, which says good things to me.  This was an unloaded flight, so hopefully it can work with cargo too.  Getting an orange tank to orbit is the end goal.  I might need to swap for a more powerful space engine, I have the Delta-v to burn to get to LKO, but that is an experiment for later.

5 hours ago, Jolly_Roger said:

I just finished my latest video.  I'll be posting the craft files shortly - just check my showcase page on the Spacecraft Exchange in the next couple of hours.

JR

Thats awesome stuff! Very well done! Thanks for putting a voice to a name too!

Due to the fact the Komrade Bill an the rest of the engineers decided to get drunk an have a big bonfire , no matches were avialable to get the Soyuz Rocket Engines lit .

After nipping over to see Prezident Vladamir Kerbin , he got his Gold Card an blagged a lifting body on ebay with free postage ( the postie got a hernia as a thank you ) .

Not long after that Jeb , Bob an Bill ( after he had sobered up of course ) tested various versions and are happy to report no matches were harmed in the testing process .

Komerads%2057_result_result.jpg
Komerads%2056_result_result.jpg
Komerads%2055_result_result.jpg
Komerads%2051_result.jpg
Komerads%2044_result.jpg
Komerads%2035_result.jpg
Komerads%2033_result.jpg
Komerads%2022_result.jpg
Komerads%2032_result.jpg
Komerads%2010_result.jpg
Komerads%2019_result_result.jpg
Komerads%201_result.jpg
Komerads%206_result.jpg

I finalized the design of the smallest SSTO plane I could dream up, the Uno.  It gets to 80x80 orbit, but just barely.  I have yet to go anywhere in it as I need to refuel it, so it is waiting patiently...

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-17%20at%206.09.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-17%20at%206.09.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-17%20at%206.16.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-17%20at%206.18.1

Then I wanted to try something different, so I built an ion powered explorer cage-type thingy with a normal fuel lander.  After getting it into orbit and messing with manoeuvre nodes I realized that, sadly, it would take over 3 hours of burn time to get to Moho.  But happily saw that it has over 7 hours of fuel to burn, so it might be able to make the round trip...

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-17%20at%2010.08.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-17%20at%2010.09.

Installed RSS, fiddled around a day or so to get clouds and things working and i really like it.

Started assembling a station and gonna add some fuel next days, when i want to go places i probably need a refueling option.

... Well.

"Let's see if we can get a couple of our teams home", said Mission Control and finished the last of his coffee.
"Right", said Dr Horst and tapped his pipe.

Cerly, Eilla and Asdra's takeoff from Mun and return flight was entirely routine. A funny thing, however: As they launched towards the east as usual, they came to pass over the area they previously explored with the rover. And whaddya know, the Arch is visible from space, even this high up. ...Now that one knows where to look. 

screenshot3824jg.jpg

Goodbye Mun.

screenshot3828jg.jpg

Their re-entry and landing also went extremely smoothly. Here they are waiting to be picked up.

screenshot3848jg.jpg

Danvey, Lealian and Lindra, our Duna canyon explorers, also arrived home. Also complete routine.

screenshot3866jg.jpg

Here they're also waiting for pickup. If you wonder where Lindra is, well it's her on the outside, getting a whiff of Kerbin air.

screenshot3883jg.jpg

And that, friends, ends a rather frantic period of KSP gaming and posting here.  I've still got a team on a voyage to Laythe, so I'll be back. Eventually.

Edited by Vermil

My Kerbin Orbital One station is in need of some science equipments to feed the new lab. For spacestations, i usually have constructed some racks with experiments on it in the past, but i came to the idea, to make the rack a craft itself. This way, i can send it to different positions around Kerbin and collect science data on its own and then return it to KO1 for analysis and experiment reset. Since i built that service vehicle yesterday, i really like using a girder with stuff filled into it, as a craft base... i have to look deeper into that concept in the next days... 

Here is the new orbital science gatherer:

4nXhFnB.png

KDsrcQP.png

On 3/3/2016 at 3:36 AM, Proteus said:
On 3/3/2016 at 0:43 AM, exbyde said:

Testing a biplane, seeing how many kerbals i can get to the mun cheaply. there's 12 of em in there

Khw9def.png

pJYkAvw.png

the first picture is a WIN!:D:D:D

Somebody needs to call OSHA; and get on the horn to the Kerbalnaut union rep...

(yes, I am 2 weeks behind- sue me...)

Today saw a number of successes.

Surveys showed 83% of VIPs on suborbital flights rethink their recent decisions shortly before reentry.

BJRnCjr.jpg

Dr. Halburry Kerman had to be reminded that it wasn't the end of the world that he lost his grip on his spacecraft, and that Minmus was still several hours away.

3TsKw4f.png

Shortly thereafter, he stuck a landing with somewhat minimal dV margins and managed to pick up a "crew report in spaceflight below 2,900m" contract on the way down.  

drtP8pF.png

Dr. Halburry remembered his jetpack hereafter.

AHZ6A8Z.jpg

CJoVur9.png

And he made it home safe and sound!  The engineers admitted later they probably overdid the albator, there was tons of it left.

WEsYTw1.jpg

Finally, contracts were drawn up for the Kerminwile station, a small outpost in LK, to be used for testing the effects of microgravity on kerbals and other day to day activities.  Valentina volunteered, and Bill and Bob were sent as they had not yet earned their star for orbiting.  They definitely have that now, and they will live and work in orbit for some weeks.

Bill has by this point realized that cereal is very hard to eat in microgravity.

5hTDwCb.png

The space program hit a depression as more money was being spent faster than it could get from tourists. After some quick thinking, Gene saved the space program, but to this day he is haunted by "budget constraints" that aren't there. He has money to burn (4 million funds), but until Jeb goes on strike or does something stupid, the "Kasteria" Duna Program is on hold.

In other news, former webcomic writer Randall Kerman (I did not edit that kerbal in) and his friend Lenwell have become the newest additions to Minmus Outpost One's rapidly growing population. Much science was done with their help, and things are looking great on good ol' Minmus!

And a question: what is this "Imgur"? Is there another way to post images? I want to but don't know how... :P

EDIT:  Minmus Outpost One, surrounded by spent descent stages of all its modules.vaO1gpY.png

Edited by msasterisk
Added a picture

I drove my unkerbaled Duna rover 14 KM over to my recently landed kerbaled Duna lander. Well not drove exactly, the difference in elevation was 1300 meters over that distance so it just kinda rolled there. I mean I only touched the brakes now and again after I started. I was wondering if this was a bug.

I also found out if you endo the rover by hitting a bump at 25 m/s it totally voids the warranty on the extended solar array. Luckily I ended up back on the wheels afterwards and kept on rolling.

3 hours ago, msasterisk said:

And a question: what is this "Imgur"? Is there another way to post images? I want to but don't know how... :P

That would be imgur.com - it's handy because you can upload things with drop-and-drag any number of screenshots without any need for a login or anything.  When it's done uploading you can either direct link to each image you want, or to set up a 'slideshow' in a post on the forum, click the black box with a lowercase ' i ' under the font options and such, and paste a piece of the imgur album URL into it.  

http://imgur.com/a/b1zVy

In this example, b1zVy is what you paste.

21 hours ago, Dafni said:

Thats awesome stuff! Very well done! Thanks for putting a voice to a name too!

Thanks, I think I'd like to do a Droid video next.

JR

Edit: 1-BDI was the first droid I developed (and I showed him driving around at the very end of the video) it was because he co-piloted the X-Wing fighter.  I tend to design things in iterations so I'm always working on 2 or three things at a time going back and fourth.

E14StgM.png

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

9 hours ago, Frank_G said:

My Kerbin Orbital One station is in need of some science equipments to feed the new lab. For spacestations, i usually have constructed some racks with experiments on it in the past, but i came to the idea, to make the rack a craft itself. This way, i can send it to different positions around Kerbin and collect science data on its own and then return it to KO1 for analysis and experiment reset. Since i built that service vehicle yesterday, i really like using a girder with stuff filled into it, as a craft base... i have to look deeper into that concept in the next days... 

Here is the new orbital science gatherer:

4nXhFnB.png

KDsrcQP.png

Now...  That is a nifty and compact little thing.  Pretty interesting way to go about it (Build on the inside instead of the outside, and got all the essentials.  Would fit in a rather small space plane too.
I think I have found my project for the next time I have free time.

1 hour ago, Francois424 said:

Now...  That is a nifty and compact little thing.  Pretty interesting way to go about it (Build on the inside instead of the outside, and got all the essentials.  Would fit in a rather small space plane too.
I think I have found my project for the next time I have free time.

Thanks a lot. Only keep in mind, that refueling these things can be a problem (reaching the tank when docked to a station can be tricky...).

Today i will attempt a rover utilizing this construction principle.

5 hours ago, N_Danger said:

I drove my unkerbaled Duna rover 14 KM over to my recently landed kerbaled Duna lander. Well not drove exactly, the difference in elevation was 1300 meters over that distance so it just kinda rolled there. I mean I only touched the brakes now and again after I started. I was wondering if this was a bug.

I also found out if you endo the rover by hitting a bump at 25 m/s it totally voids the warranty on the extended solar array. Luckily I ended up back on the wheels afterwards and kept on rolling.

:confused:    If I hit a bump at 1 m/s it totally voids the extended solar array, and it came with no warranties whatsoever,..  Actually, there was a paper. It had a single line of text: "Don't call us."

I must figure out where you go shopping. ^_^

Edited by Vermil

3 hours ago, Vermil said:

:confused:    If I hit a bump at 1 m/s it totally voids the extended solar array, and it came with no warranties whatsoever,..  Actually, there was a paper. It had a single line of text: "Don't call us."

I must figure out where you go shopping. ^_^

On further review of the tapes, it was actually only 20 m/s at the time of the attempted Hollywood film stunt. The rover operator was punished by not being allowed to buy snacks in the break room for a week. 

6 hours ago, N_Danger said:

On further review of the tapes, it was actually only 20 m/s at the time of the attempted Hollywood film stunt. The rover operator was punished by not being allowed to buy snacks in the break room for a week. 

Well, we've been doing it the wrong way. Now that 1.1 is coming soon, with new wheels physics, it's sort of too late. But this exchange spurred me to experiment a bit more methodically.

Basically, I figure the wheels operate like some kind of rockets, giving thrust, but where the benefits (thrust) are brutally limited absolutely by gravity, friction coefficient and angle, but all the costs of the "rockets" are not  throttled. The conclusion of that is the fewer rover wheels, the better.

What can I say? This is my latest design, during harsh testing. It works better than any other rover design I've done. Half the energy consumption, much more stable. It's what I'll be using until 1.1.  A motorcycle with airplane gears as supporting struts.

screenshot3899jg.jpg

Maybe one should try a one-wheeler too?

EDIT:   I decided to try to answer my own question:

screenshot3902jg.jpg

I spent a good deal of time. It has to be the front wheel. It doesn't work well to steer with the rear wheel. But even with the front wheel, there were problems. It was difficult to get it to go straight, among other things. But the answer, at least for this attempt is: No.

On reasonably level ground, it answered the questions correctly. It halved the energy consumption again. Almost a perpetuum mobile.  
It is basically a tricycle with two extra safety support wheels at the front. They normally hang in the air. But the problem is still that the two rear support wheels carry half the weight. That translates into that the rover wheel only has 50% ground pressure. And, no, that doesn't work when it goes uphill.

Somehow, one has to get the wheel into the center, carrying all or most of the weight. But how do you turn such a vehicle then?
I'm not spending more time or effort on this. But the 'cycle' shall be fun to try on Mun and Duna.

Edited by Vermil