What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I decided to upgrade my old 0.25 Jool-5 designs for 1.0.5
I decided to start with the "Laythe Ascender", so I upgraded the design and after extensive testing at Kerbin, decided the time had come to try it on Laythe herself.
Activated Simulation mode (Hyperedit)...

6TMkESF.png

... and begun my descent, things are heating-up but nothing uncontrollable.

ImDPcaF.png

Humm, only water... that is untested 'ground' for the lander, but let's see if it's going to work.

SC4uwJC.png

Gotta love the view...  Drogue 'chutes deployment successful !

GfuPBTP.png

Touchdown!!! No damage, ship holding steady thanks to SAS,  but electricity is disappearing...

WNbbspV.png

Let's get that science !  Okay good, we can reach the instruments.  Too bad we cant "Float a flag", so we'll have to skip that step.

QU0V4mk.png

Let's prepare for take off... Science module ejection confirmed, no damage.

aXBtJNo.png

Successful ladders and landing legs ejection, engine at 100% throttle...

6yBAGdP.png

Laythe Ascender is ascending and on the way !

QXEyYEk.png

60 x -200km altitude... But the ship was not supposed to redock with the mothership anyways.

EPuDNsk.png

So complete circularization with minimal effort by Jebediah, now waiting for the Mothership to pick him up.

KDbnPN0.png

I could add extra fuel on the lander if I wanted to do a complete circularization, about 10LFO would suffice at that point.  I might, but the Kerbal way works just as good.

At any rate, "Laythe Ascender" design successful !
Minimal mods used for it too...
 - Necrobone's radial LFO fuel tanks (x4), landing gears (x4) and radial batteries(x2).  Did not even need Tweakscale for this one :)
 - EDIT: Forgot Surface Lights !  'cuz "you gotta have Moar Liiightssssss !" TM

Edited by Francois424

To prove all the "spaceplanes cannot into RSS" folks wrong, and because why not, I decided to make a spaceplane with X-15 technology (i.e. fuselage/cockpit starts melting at 1600K), which is available from the High Speed Flight node in RP-0. Now, a regular X-15 was a no-go for me (although it might be possible for a better pilot), but I made a much lower wing-loading version based on the last spaceplane I flew in RSS/RO (itself based on Von Braun's 1952 design). Unlike that one, however, this one is using X-15-rated parts.

The engine is an AJ10-104D (Ablestar) since I didn't need that much. A single tank's worth of propellant gave around 1400m/s.

tl;dr it worked. :)

In KSP itself?  Nothing too special, same as most others really.  Make a plane, crash a plane.  Make a shuttle, save a shuttle, export a shuttle, convert a shuttle, re-render a shuttle for another upcoming chapter.  You know, same old, same old.  :D

I've been working on perfecting a process I first started learning about when I did this:

DiggerHoverHanger4.png

Which has gone a shade further, and is now looking like this:

Presenting, the Starchaser, 
Hangar-Starchaser-2.png

Edited by Deadweasel
Updated new photo with current version

On 20/3/2016 at 3:26 AM, TheVillain said:

So in my 3.2x scale KSP Save I finaly decided to launch a Duna mission, named ExoDuna (Most of you should get this reference).

The mission went surprisingly well and everything worked as it should have on the first try!

View of the launch vehicle I used, the transfer stage and orbiter/lander are all inside the fairing of the rocket.

The second picture is the view of the lander up into the sky from where it currently sits, I must say that I am quite pleased with the results :)

Next up, manned missions!

Congrats on not turning your ExoDuna mission into an EndoDuna mission! :D
Joke's not mine, ripped from a well known DJ/astronomer youtuber...

Haven't played much in a long while... winter was really rough on me, but felt like doing some Kerbal stuff today.

Productive day in my new career mode, got some 2000+ science with a probe that landed on both Ike and Duna, landed another probe on Gilly, and on my second attempt landed a probe on Eve.

Realized, I've never landed on Duna, Gilly, or Eve before, so those were all firsts for me.

Wanted to see if I could still do the spaceplane thing, so I made something quickly in sandbox. First ascent I was too shallow and blew up my front intakes from overheating. Switched modes on the RAPIERs, made suborbital, and landed safely in the ocean. Second try went fine, minus a loss of control on re-entry from about 45km to 15km. Shifted fuel around, landed on the runway, and felt pretty dang good :)

d21huaG.png

I killed Bob :(

Conducting a low altitude test flight of the LTV45. All at first was going well. I omitted the decoupler between the command pod and the engine; thinking it would not be needed. However I only ran a test simulation far enough to ensure the test objectives would be completed and ended it there. But had I completed a previous simulation to the end I'd have discovered the fatal flaw and would have redesigned the craft to include one. With that said the weight of the engine prevented the craft from slowing down enough to deploy the parachutes. By the time i realized what was wrong it was too late. The lesson; follow through a simulation to the very end; useful information can be had to prevent the loss of Kerbals.

Edited by Exploro

I finished up booster and payload integration for the Real Space Program. The payload? 2,700 kg of manned capsule. I ran into some problems along the way, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

MARCH 21, 2016 12:06 EST
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

As the final bolts are welded into place, the Independence 7 Ground Assembly Team lets out a wild cheer. Says one excited kerbal, "!Atidlam otnujnoc le odot ne Nk 5 ed sonem! Yay-yak-eippiy!"
The team has worked hard to get to this point. The capsule was originally overweight, but after some double-checking with the Life Support, Electrical, retro-burn, and Booster specs, they were able to cut the capsule's integrated mass to less than 2,700 kg, from an initial mass of 3,700 kg.
In the midst of the celebration, a technician remembers that they forgot to add the flight computer to the capsule! It's not a big worry, though, because like everything else here it's attached with duct tape.
There were some problems along the way. When asked about the issues, Wernher Von Kerman said, "Well, they [the booster and capsule] didn’t line up right at first-like, the booster was ~10 meters off to the side- and when I tried to offset it back, it wound up in the ceiling. We were able to get it back to it's proper position, but there might still be some random torque caused by a slightly offset engine. Nothing major, though, and I'm sure that our BadS pilot will be able to handle it. If you'll excuse me, I need to take some of that hydrazine for my office while I write an S-covering memo."

As of this time, everything on the hardware end looks GO for launch.

-- Chuck Kerman
Vehicle Assembly Building
Kerbal Space Center
Earth

We are launching on March 26, 2016, at 12 PM EST.

Edited by Dman979

I had a "Whoa" moment for the first time in a while last night.

My Minmus fuel refinery required a very small delivery of KAS/KIS items, small enough that I was grumbling about building a vehicle to deliver it to the surface and a rocket to launch it all when it hit me; I have all the structure in place to deliver this thing to minmus at only the cost of the landing vehicle (which was tiny, since I landed on the container carrying the stuff).

I loaded the 1.25m cargo lander into my SSTO Spaceplane "Aero Test 3", the cargo variant of the "Aero Test" series (I know, that's an awesome name) and launched it into LKO. After returning the AT3 to the surface, I then undocked my "Yellowstone" interplanetary crew transport (which conveniently has an extra docking port at the rear, between the two engine nacelles with enough space for a 2.5m payload to be docked) from K-Station Alpha and went and picked up the cargo lander and towed it to Minmus. As a bonus, I filled the Yellowstone's tanks while there (at K-Station Beta) and sent it back to the station in orbit of Kerbin. The fuel was produced and sent up from Minmus and the Yellowstone has ~5600 dV so it still has enough fuel to make the round trip again before refueling.

Anyway, cargo delivered with nary a rocket launched (you know, excluding the tons of rockets launched to set all this up). Whoa.

Edited by Randazzo

Made a new baby today ^_^

L1SHd6n.png

pCGqwHo.png

f5szAwj.png

5 hours ago, UpsilonAerospace said:

AQiYOzo.png

...I'm not sure what else needs to be said, except that this is 100% stock and can fly quite nicely sans-debug menu.

-Upsilon

That's a sub ! :lol:

awesome build, can she swim/dive ?

It inspired me:

yVqvsUb.png

Edited by Triop

I built a Jool ship. It is designed to go to Jool and return. I plan to visit all three major moons. It's not designed to land on anything, however it could land on Bop or Pol. It couldn't do a Jool-5 because it's not capable of carrying all my stuff.

I also realized that extensive radiation shielding isn't required to make things realistic for this mission, for I calculated that Jool's mass relative to Kerbin's is smaller than Saturn's relative to Earth's (Jool's 80 Kerbin masses and Saturn's 95 Earth masses). Saturn's radiation environment is relatively safe.

I launched the ship. It barely made it to Kerbin orbit. The launcher ran out at almost orbit. So I turned on the nuclear engines on the thing and got it to orbit (barely) with that. It's missing about a thousand units of fuel so I plan to refuel it using the crew deliver-er. It has too much fuel left even now. :D