What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Went to Eve with a descender probe for the first time in a long time. Absolutely minimal mission - launch to orbit was via Cargobird shuttle, then the combined transfer stage/orbiting communications relay (in role-play only as I don't have any antenna mods installed) fired into a higher parking orbit for warp to the transfer point. The only real error was that I didn't have enough fuel in my transfer stage to circularize at Eve, so had to put up with an elliptical orbit. Oh well!

Today i built and tested a Kerbal version of the Ares I launcher. The craft performed pretty well, so i took some time to fine tune it. An Orbital Utility Vehicle sits on top of the rocket, capable of carrying 3 Kerbals into orbit. It has plenty of dV left, when reaching orbit, so it can perform various tasks and orbital rendezvous´ with ease.

The craft is available for download in my craftfile thread

4gezMf6.png

Today I launched the KSS Aesop, which pretty much powered itself into orbit after a cluster of skippers got it through the lower atmosphere.  She's pictured here, with the aft docking port occupied by the K2 lander (launched seperately).

GD5jjpC.jpg

Aesop represents up to 6,000 m/s dV unloaded, 4,400 m/s with that 12.9t lander.  She's a puller style ferry, obviously.  Designed with a relatively high thrust for a space propulsion bus, keeping interplanetary burn times respectably short, and extra docking ports for extending its fuel reserves with replacable tanks.    She was designed for the upcoming mission to Ike, but the design is expected to be extremely versatile. In the future I'm sure Aesop and more like her will be employed ferrying tourist cabins, space station modules, and perhaps even being used as skycranes on low gravity airless bodies.

I quite like the retro look to her, too. :)

Now for a number of refueling trips....   bleh.

Rm97FUj.png

Well, I finished four challenges. They were the first four I ever finished. I'm so happy.

They were:

-No Shirt, No CHUTE, No Problem.

-Plant a flag at the North Pole.

-Suborbital Mun/Minmus Challenge.

-Replicas To Orbit.

I'm most proud of Replicas To Orbit. I built an Ares Ring Lander mockup and sent it, well.... On this path.

Kerbin launch - Mun Landing - Minmus Landing - Mun Flyby - Mun Flyby - Kerbin Aerobreak - Kerbin Aerobreak - Kerbin Touchdown.

Time: 81 Days, 3 hours and 44 minutes exact. The whole trip is in the album below. Enjoy:

On 3/25/2016 at 9:39 AM, Proteus said:

2qlwvlx.pngvalentina is happy and that's all that matters!

Question: Why the Japanese Imperial Navy?

15 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

RSS, here I come!

Good, we're cheering you on... FROM THE ORBITER FORUM!

random_stick_fight_blue_pwnage_by_s71ckf

After a failed attempt to orbit Kerbin, I ejected Valentina out of the ship to safety, only to have that ship open a rift to a parallel dimension and disappear (actually, it just simply disappeared) along with Doodpont Kerman, who I left inside the rocket. Valentina survived, but Doodpont''s whereabouts are unknown.

Launched the Adrophite-2, a orbiter to the moon of Gilly.  Seen here after completing it's Kerbin escape burn while still attached to the Probe Bus.

47PJTXW.png

The Moho Flyby Probe also made the stunning discovery that Moho has a texture glitch Moho was reached by aliens millions of years before Kerbalkind and these aliens unleashed upon Moho a swarm of perfectly white grey goo nanobots who consumed much of the planet before falling dormant.  Oh well, I wasn't going to colonize Moho anyways.

smhedGY.png

The third module was docked to the Munar Spacedock, which is the main orbital facility for all Munar operations.  Capable of hosting a crew of 70 currently, the station represents the pinnacle of Kerbal efforts in Mun orbit.  Which aren't much.  At all.

gg0meKX.png

Edited by Butterbar

2 hours ago, Butterbar said:

The Moho Flyby Probe also made the stunning discovery that Moho has a texture glitch Moho was reached by aliens millions of years before Kerbalkind and these aliens unleashed upon Moho a swarm of perfectly white grey goo nanobots who consumed much of the planet before falling dormant.  Oh well, I wasn't going to colonize Moho anyways.

Thats not grey goo, thats "mapping data incomplete". :wink:

Sent my first (successful) manned mission to Duna! The rocket was almost certainly way too big, but I like it!

Here's inside the fairing and on the launch pad:

RT97mEB.jpg

qEVX1m2.jpg

Skip all the boring stuff, now they're on Duna! (Don't ask me why I used the Angolan flag, 'cause I'm not sure myself...)

xSRdQl9.png

Looking up at Kerbin through the rusty Dunan clouds...

EY712VK.jpg

Skip all the boring return, now re-entering at Kerbin with the return stage in the background!

nS4mgZj.jpg

Coming down on the parachutes...

Mb4Eia9.png

And landed, after 2 years and 282 days in space (Kerbin time)

dhXQs2o.jpg

The engineering team is quite proud of their achievements today, and unveiled the EFT125, an extended range fuel tank in the 1.25m diameter.  The delivery system took a long long time to fine tune, but it is entirely worth it.

uGRQXX2.jpg

The tank is launched vertically packed neatly in a 2.5m fairing, side-by-side with its delivery system, painstakingly balanced.  When deployed nearly in orbit, the delivery system rejiggers its orientation and flies "sideways" to make delivery and docking as painless as possible.  It's also one of the most asymetric craft I've built, and somehow I managed to balance it with no more than 0.01 torque at any stage of launch or delivery, at least according to Kerbal Engineer.  Also just because it's balancing out a full tank, the delivery system has way too much fuel.  Actually that just saves on other fuel deliveries.  After confirming both ports are properly docked, the delivery system decouples and leaves not so much as an RCS port behind on the tank, minimizing the final part count.  (I know 1.1 coming up, but old habits die hard.)

So then I had a series of contracts involving Minmus.  Plant a flag, take temperature readings and EVA reports, and rescue a kerbal stranded on the surface.  I decided to give Aesop and her lander a shakedown - they were more than capable of the short Minmus run, and they'd have a seat to bring someone home if I left one of the Duna expedition members at my old space station.  Bill, Bob, and Val welcomed Mr. Halburry aboard the Kermanwile station for the duration of the mission, and Keldan - a Minmus veteran - handled the rescue.  Aesop handled the maneuvers for Minmus beautifully.  Slightly shaky but, hey, stock docking ports.  It was better when I remembered to turn off the lander's torque and engine.

EK8vlfp.png

So Aesop parked in a polar obit and the lander powered its way to meet up with the rescuee, Nelrick Kerman.  I'm still getting used to texture replacer and the head packs, I'm a little picky about who gets what head, but Nelrick's head was just so fitting, I thought.  I like it.  And he's a scientist.  Totally looks like a super nerd. 

um4f8Ff.jpg

I actually ended up leaving him behind after getting him to orbit and transferring him to the Helios II Interstage / aka Minmus fuel depot, and the light science lander parked at it.  Nelrick's rescue was justified by the research he was doing and he's not done yet!  He needs boots on the ground in a few more places to complete his research, so he'll be using that lander.  (And his expression makes me wonder just what his research is showing....  Is Minmus evaporating?  Did he find something in the ice?  Dun dun dun....)

Fun fact: kerbal rescuees you've taken control of, but not yet recovered, plant the flag of the agency who gave you the contract instead of your current flag.  They still fulfull flag planting contracts, though.

Aesop had more than enough fuel to return to LKO without any of that airbraking nonsense.  9 days to fill her back up before the Duna launch window.

PjJDqCb.png

Check out the whole album for today.

I took a jet powered mini-sub on a test run from KSC to the island airfield. In preparation for visiting the lowest point on Kerbin and (hopefully) searching for evidence of the fabled Smiley Face on the seabed.