What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 3/28/2016 at 8:36 PM, Cupcake... said:

Played around with my latest ION Dropship, jolly good fun it was too!

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

That was SO freaking gorgeous!  You've obviously come to know that little bugger quite well too, judging by those mad barnstorming skillz. :D

On March 28, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Cupcake... said:

Played around with my latest ION Dropship, jolly good fun it was too!

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

I had foolishly passed over this at first, this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

So of course my question is the stoopid one, how'd you get multiple Kerbals wandering around under the big miner rover??

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

35 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I had foolishly passed over this at first, this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

So of course my question is the stoopid one, how'd you get multiple Kerbals wandering around under the big miner rover??

That little thing reminded me of the two ion scooters that I used in my Jool 5 challenge entry (v0.95). Those tiny things zipped around the Jool system, transferring kerbals around and did the landings on Bop and Pol.

Heading from Laythe to the mother ship, further out in the Jool system.

VuMyVLi.jpg

Landing on Pol

Pm9WwgX.jpg

Here's one of them attached to the Tylo lander.

LQGbVJW.jpg

I'm having some rather puzzling and extremely frustrating and annoying experiences in KSP as of late.
I'll tell you more about it when I have the energy. The one question I'm scratching my head about is: Was v1.05 always like this?

I started mixing up my original Constellation concept with some of von Brauns concepts. Some additional modules will be inserted into the main stack, such as larger solar arrays, communications modules, crew habitation and such stuff. [edit] Each segment of the ship is equipped with a probe core and RCS thrusters, allowing them not only to assemble themselves in Kerbin orbit, but also to reconfigure the ship during the mission. In the current configuration, the ship can break up into 3 independent operating vessels, that can fulfill different tasks, once arrived at the destination.

PAjvrc5.png

First tests propelled this ship out of the Kerbol system... fuel wont be a problem.

cMw1H8K.png

The fairing will contain a horizontal landing vehicle, such like this one (which will have to be modified to a 3.75 m profile, to fit its purpose).

5J7xYhl.png

Edited by Frank_G

Entered the second half of my Eve rescue mission into orbit, consisting of a rover that'll parachute down and drive Burming Kerman to the lander and the pod he'll return home in. Here it is entering a 175km orbit around Kerbin:

3yonU0c.png

This thing has an insane excess of delta-v on the lower stages which all has to be dumped when the rover enters Eve's atmosphere. Guess how much the return pod has?

....that's right. Not enough. At least I put a docking port on so I can swap that out for a bigger one...:mad:

5 hours ago, Jabbman said:

What borders?!

Nice jet btw

What borders ?

Between land and sea of course. ^_^

Got some tourists back from orbit...Have to clean the can....

RK4uO3S.png

wqZ4hRm.png

"I am never ever going to travel with Triop™ again".... :confused:

Edited by Triop

13 hours ago, Frank_G said:

I started mixing up my original Constellation concept with some of von Brauns concepts

That is an absolutely stunning Von Braun concept.  Reminds me of a mission I had going with an old version of the game which came a cropper thanks to a nasty docking port bug:

Have you got a mission log going for that you can point me towards, or thread with more details.  Interested in reading and seeing more if you have it as do plan do resurrect a von braun when 1.1 hits...

For myself, today I finished the write up of my first mission to Moho.  I'd read all sorts of advice about sending a small probe first so I went with this:

M1iQQYl.jpg

Full mission report now finished can be viewed here.

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
oh my word my spelling :)

5 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

That is an absolutely stunning Von Braun concept.  Reminds me of a mission I had going with an old versioon of the game which cape a cropper thanks to a nasty docking port bug.....

Thanks a lot :). I will take a look at your Moho mission, when i am back from work.

[edit] i will create a thread for my mission and will link it in my sig (and drop you a line, if i dont forget), once its active. I plan to check all craft when 1.1 is out. Can be a little while till launch.

Edited by Frank_G

I realised just the other day that I have probes and/or flags on all bodies except  for Laythe, which only has debris from failed landings of probes that were intended as back up for other exploration in the Jool system, but got sent to Laythe rather than just waste them.  They weren't designed for that much gravity or any atmosphere so suffered the effects of 'heavy lithobraking', leaving nothing but couple of landing legs scattered on the surface.  So I designed a specific Laythe probe and will next see about launching some and getting them on the surface.

A huge facepalm. I knew the gravity, I knew the drag, I didn't know the engines lose this much thrust on Eve!

Test results:

http://s020.radikal.ru/i716/1604/51/913f5f00c7b7.png

Drill ground contact unreliable - put them lower
Drill bays can still evaporate on landing... slap some ablation?
Fully fueled craft tends to fall apart under its weight when physics kick in. oops
It can't takeoff fully fueled anyway - had to burn almost half the booster fuel and some from the central stack. The atmosphere affects engines too much. Need to reduce the height a bit.
Still can reach orbit. or almost. if you nail the gravity turn perfectly. good enough to get the crew out. Should work OK after some updates.
BTW, altimeter read 540 m.
speaking of gravity turn - central stage needs more aerodynamic stability.

On the other side: it got some good delta v the way it is... but if I have to reduce the fuel tanks it may work not so well. Or maybe add some droptanks?

And if you wonder how it was launched from Kerbin - partially fueled using 6 of its own engines. Then needs refueling in LKO (OK, I cheated with this one - used Notepad, but the previous prototype was successfully refueled by a tanker) and (if efficient transfer is used) can get from LKO to under 2 km/s in Eve's upper atmosphere

Edited by Alchemist

Tested some ion powered solar plane design for my Duna mission. The wings can be detached to reduce the storage profile. The planes body will travel inside a fairing, while the wings will be mounted on the the outer hull of the transfer vessel, so the solar arrays serve some function during transit. Currently the plane can keep its speed and altitude for 3 days, before the xenon gas runs out. The storage bay carries some science equipment, the nose cone houses batteries, reaction wheel, probe core and RCS fuel (which is needed to assemble the plane in orbit, before descending into the atmosphere).

teRAhE6.png

[edit] Here a more detailed picture of a later iteration with shorter wingspan. It still has to be tested, if it performs as well, as its predecessor.

dKv12hF.png

Edited by Frank_G
added another picture

...So, I haven't been happy lately. Rather, I've been rather foulmouthed. Good thing you can't hear me.
Well, here's the reason - mainly my own fault in the end -: Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal were just to land on Laythe. Pretty routine, I figured, done it a few times before.

But then this happened. They sailed along too far and overshot their target. A nice and well piloted landing in the water. Craft was entirely undamaged.

screenshot4072jg.jpg

So what to do now? I could paddle the rocket to the shore and organize a rescue operation. But here's my problem: Why did they land too far? And why wouldn't the rescue operation also land too far then? I would have to do practice landings with F5/F9 anyway, to figure things out.
So I was thinking about it. I'd heard things about the atmosphere being tweaked, but hadn't much paid attention. But my latest landings had gone to plan, right? Or had they really? I started to remember how lucky I was that Danvey could stretch out his landing on Duna and thus avoid landing on the Canyon's sloped wall. And how happily surprised I was when Valentina somehow managed to clear the high dunes when she landed on Laythe. It began to make sense. The atmosphere doesn't brake as much as before.

So I declared myself entitled to a F9. I measured the necessary adjustment and tried again. Spot on.   ...Only...

screenshot4170jg.jpg

After the perfect landing, the rocket started to do an increasingly violent jitterbug, destroying first it's landing struts, then the undercarriage, then the rocket engines,..

I couldn't bear watching, and I had already pressed F9 before, and thus established a pattern.  - What the h* is happening?!  

I tried again. Same result. Why? Why? Why? I've done this landing how many times before? Five times, with roughly similar rockets. Three times unmanned (which included practice and collecting landing estimates, so was in reality like 7, 8 landings), and two previous manned Laythe expeditions.

I tried again. Same result.

I tried again and thought I'd made it. The rocket stood there peacefully, velocity meter down to alternatively 0.0 and 0.1. But then it started, rocking more and more, same story. By this time I was so disgusted I don't know why I tried yet again. I guess there were two things I wanted to try. Protecting the landing struts from heat by deploying them later. Leaving the SAS and RCS active, despite that these things could logically feed in energy into the oscillations and make them more violent. But the oscillations don't need energy anyway. They are apparently some kind of perpetuum mobile...

Well, it worked. Finally. <big sigh>. 

screenshot4094jg.jpg

screenshot4105jg.jpg

screenshot4129jg.jpg

screenshot4179jg.jpg

screenshot4188jg.jpg

And then there was maybe some kind of clue as to why. I had landed in 'The Sagan Sea'. I assumed I was going to land on the 'Shores', but this was a new region. Possibly Squad intends this area to have softer ground? I dunno, and I'm certainly not convinced.

Anyway, Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal can finally have their Laythe adventure. And they will bring a ton of unexpected science points back - which I don't need. The point of this trip was otherwise to try rovers on Laythe for the first time, and visit the sea. We'll see how that goes.

I think I'm satisfied with this one. Although I still had to burn about quarter of the first stage before takeoff. This time it was 700 m ASL.

http://s019.radikal.ru/i601/1604/1c/b95351a39e74.png

The first stage falls off after couple kilometers, but by this time the engines finally pick the proper TWR

http://s020.radikal.ru/i721/1604/9c/05d648f533e2.png

And it got to orbit with quite a bit of delta v reserve. Heh, even one of the solar panels survived the ascent this time

http://s017.radikal.ru/i405/1604/ec/2403b15588a8.png

And it still got from Kerbin to Eve with a single refueling in LKO. And even if I forgot to save some fuel for soft landing, it can safely land at 5 m/s just on chutes.
However, during refueling, it managed to get the gear stuck in the ground to the point I had to open the save and raise it by 0.2 m or it just glitched itself apart.