What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 minute ago, kurgut said:

If you are aricraft enthousiast, and want to save part count, you might check B9 procedural wing (for instance, the wings will need I think about 50 parts max).

Except they drag like crazy and don't provide a bunch of lift for their area. Well, for me at least they create poor flying machines.

Today I started a new career in 1.4.5 and MKS. They have done something to some wheels and landing gear that makes them oscillate. The LY-01 fixed gear will not stop bouncing. There is also something different about flying. Inputs seem weird, I don't know, maybe its me. Then there is this

1D7B4437ADE2C4B2407B5252C59F883C9F60B983

Look at the seams on the MK-0 tanks. I build from the left side so the left is as assembled. The right side is mirror symmetry. Look odd to you? It seems to fly ok so I'm not going to complain (much).

1 hour ago, Triop said:

OMK, the heat is getting to me . . .

Good to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this, this bug has been the bane of my existence ever since the 1.4 update. I'm not sure what causes it but it is dangerously close to game breaking for me.

I have been able to determine that it has something to do with the games shaders. In which case Scatterer may be at fault.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

@kurgut I had problems with them and FAR back in 1.3.1. Asymmetrical lift, low lift for area (compared with stock wings), and high drag. I still used them a whole lot because you can make some nice looking machines but not necessarily nice flying. It seemed like FAR helped but wasn't a solve. Are you using FAR in 1.4.5? I want it, but when I attempt to recompile the source for 1.4.5(which is another thing I did in KSP today) I get 3 errors but it completes. But then, I get no control surface operation and no lift/drag graphs and it makes me sad.

4 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

@kurgut I had problems with them and FAR back in 1.3.1. Asymmetrical lift, low lift for area (compared with stock wings), and high drag. I still used them a whole lot because you can make some nice looking machines but not necessarily nice flying. It seemed like FAR helped but wasn't a solve. Are you using FAR in 1.4.5? I want it, but when I attempt to recompile the source for 1.4.5(which is another thing I did in KSP today) I get 3 errors but it completes. But then, I get no control surface operation and no lift/drag graphs and it makes me sad.

Oh ye, no I'm using it with realsolarsystem and realism overhaul (that includes patches for aerodynamics, or RSS don't remember) and work just fine, but ye you're right, in stock produce drag, and less lift, but stilll flyable for me. Didn't try in 1.4.5

Edited by kurgut

16 minutes ago, kurgut said:

Nice! Are the so cute rcs (and their exhaust)  one of your mods?

Yup, that's going into the next Buffalo parts release.

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4987893

how bout a matching engine? :D

Oh, I have two engines planned for Buffalo... :)

Yet more work on the kOS script. Been sitting here listening to AWOLNATION Sail Instrumental as I go along.

Decided to let my script log error and time to a couple text files, and was lucky enough to catch one of the boosters with a navigation error on the first go.

q7tu1Sg.jpg

For those interested in mathy/codey/controlley stuff, look here:

Spoiler

ssd1AMn.png

So, there is something wrong going on with the Starboard booster. It is wiggling all over the place and looks like an audio waveform lol.

Anyways, so basically what these graphs are showing the angular error of the trajectory in the North/South and East/West Directions. Basically the script generates a vector (Called "Desired Descent Vec" or DDV for short) pointing from where the ship is to a point above the landing pad at some altitude k*(ship:altitude). It tries to align the direction of travel with this vector. The script generates the North/South and East/West angular error values from the differences in direction between the DDV and the surface velocity vector.

It feeds each error term into a PID loop

Basically, a PID loop is a type of control loop used in real life to control systems, which does not need a lot of knowledge about the system for it to work. It can't control everything but it's simple and so is used when possible.

PID stands for Proportional, Integral, and Derivative, which defines the 3 terms that are used.

The first value used is the proportional term, which applies an initial correction. The booster says "Hey my trajectory is 20 degrees north of where I want it. I'll tilt the booster some angle kP*20 to try to correct it."

The next value used is the integral term, which accounts for a steady error over time. The booster says "My trajectory has been an average of 5 degrees north of where I want it to be for most of this time. I'll tilt the booster additionally by some angle kI*5 to account for that.

The last value used is the derivative term, which helps to dampen the corrections to prevent overshoot. The booster says "Hey my trajectory has swung 10 degrees over the past second, if I don't slow down I might overshoot. I'll further add some angle kD*10 to dampen out the steering."

So it ends up with an output looking like   Output = kP*Error + kI*Integral(Error) + kD*Derivative(Error). 

You can read more about PID control here and here if you want.

Now looking at the graphs, it appears that the Starboard booster is maybe overshooting? It's kinda wigging out at the very least haha.

So I figured perhaps I should increase the derivative gain kD to fix it. No that made it worse! Decreased it and now they seem to be on target. Not really sure how that works, but ok!

It would be so much easier to tune the gains if the booster moved at constant velocity through and atmosphere of constant density, but it's not so I think standard PID loop tuning methods don't really apply.

So with my new information I started fiddling with stuff. At first I fiddled with it the wrong way, so this happened:

tZ35QyU.jpg

Neither of them close to being on the pads. lol

So I just did the opposite of what I had thought would fix it.

ElUJq47.jpg

And now they're both on the pads again. :D 

The question now is: Will it keep working, or is this guy still hanging out with me? 

10%20jurassic%20park%20chaos.jpg

Edit: @Triop Oh man so I'm not the only getting that godawful graphics bug :confused:

Edit2: @Kronus_Aerospace I've tried uninstalling scatterer and the bug persists.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

17 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Good to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this, this bug has been the bane of my existence ever since the 1.4 update. I'm not sure what causes it but it is dangerously close to game breaking for me.

I have been able to determine that it has something to do with the games shaders. In which case Scatterer may be at fault.

It's extremely annoying for me as well. Fortunately enough changing vessels at least delays the onset of the scattering.

LQVz9eq.png

Didn't stop me from enjoying my new F-86 Sabre, though.

HBHL1dJ.png 

I don't know what it is with these early jets, but they're such a pleasure to build and fly. 129 parts, came together in an afternoon, and handles darn near identically to the real thing (Mach .9 top speed, good but not absurd maneuverability, lands like a dream with flaps).

Edit: https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-86-Sabre

Edited by Servo
added download link

Quite proud of the way this turned out. I've made a proper commercial variant of my WorkHorse Lander. I call it: Pony. It has all the science gear except a command module. If that comes up I'll send a proper WorkHorse, but it seems unworthy of concern right now given the progress I've made broadening my space agency's services to include multiple leg moon journeys while still generating efficient profit margins toward furthering our program's reach.

4VpMXkI.jpg

Should be a more-than-adequate solution to my multiple leg journey contracts. I'll dock a habitat to act as a passenger terminal at my refuel station in LKO, shuttling passengers to the terminal in an SSTO from KSC. Once they arrive I'll send the passengers in 2 separate journeys depending where their destinations are, then drop them back off at Kerbin safe and sound. I can smell the money.

Edited by MisterKerman

Now simulating the Pathfinder mars rover landing, , for the next mars window. After a direct reentry, drogue deployed first then fairings and heatshield jetisoned, and at about 200m above terrain, retrorockets firing to geeently land the rover, and just at touch down, this "delivery" system is decoupled, and crashed on Martian surface :)

Slowing down

Gt7xiOJ.png

Good bye heatshield, now FIRE!

0Po89bR.png

Landed, good bye delivery system!

VjAjMU7.png

0WlNIt7.png

Ready to explore now :)

Edited by kurgut

11 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

Look at the seams on the MK-0 tanks. I build from the left side so the left is as assembled. The right side is mirror symmetry. Look odd to you? It seems to fly ok so I'm not going to complain (much).

I don't think it's 1.4.x specific. I recall seeing them being like that in 1.3.x too.

17 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

Look at the seams on the MK-0 tanks. I build from the left side so the left is as assembled. The right side is mirror symmetry. Look odd to you? It seems to fly ok so I'm not going to complain (much)

They've been like this for as long as I can remember =/

Last week I finished construction of my Space Camp space station.  Designed to keep 12 Kerbals happy for 40 days, it includes a centrifuge and Emergency Escape Pods for all, as well as 15 tons of supplies.

vfjWyeM.png

bGAx6PM.png

JtdBJDp.png

SPRjTh7.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, blorgon said:

FINALLY finished tweaking my terminal descent guidance logic to put me on this spot every single time.

<snip>

Nice work! I like the precision! Out of curiosity, does it aim for a specific geographic coordinate next to the flag that it lands on, or does it target the flag itself and land close to it? Either way it's cool. :D 

On a different note, explosions can only mean good things:

IQZa3gD.jpg

Actually the script landed the booster just fine, just one of the static solar panels forming part of a decorative X on the pad couldn't take the heat of the rocket exhaust. Really seems kind of silly that a solar panel makes such a spectacular explosion when melting.

Anyways, I might have the guidance logic behaving now.

Spoiler

aDW8nPb.png

Slightly concerned by the magnitude of overshoot on the port booster, but as long as it works I guess it's fine.

Don't tell Malcolm though.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Today we got 2 survey contracts in one mission.

First we flew our science jet to the Dessert Airfield where a tanker refueled it.

eyy0Ab6.png

After the first temperature measure we went for the pressure readings.

UcwZFMK.png

After that we did the remaining two temperature readings and landed at Woomerang launch site.

Lrew3vb.png

We are now waiting for a tanker because we are out of fuel... ^_^