What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Is that only connected by one of the rams or do you know a way to connect one part to two?

The pistons are both connected to girders. While one girder is connected with the craft via a usual attachment point, the other girder is strutted to the vessel. But it works flawless this way.

Find the craftfile here to check for yourself.

The K1000 controller for the ramp is located in the rear cargo bay for easy access. Works best in game, as physics play a part in correctly lowering the ramp onto the ground. Action group description is in the craftfile. Enjoy :)

Edited by Frank_G
tpyos

6 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

The pistons are both connected to girders. While one girder is connected with the craft via a usual attachment point, the other girder is strutted to the vessel. But it works flawless this way.

Find the craftfile here to check for yourself.

The K1000 controller for the ramp is located in the rear cargo bay for easy access. Works best in game, as physics play a part in correctly lowering the ramp onto the ground. Action group description is in the craftfile. Enjoy :)

Right ok so strutting to a part connected to the moving part doesn't impede its movement. Ive heard someone mention this but have yet to try it myself. Nice work!

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Right ok so strutting to a part connected to the moving part doesn't impede its movement. Ive heard someone mention this but have yet to try it myself. Nice work!

You have to strut to the non-moving half of robotic parts. You CAN strut to the moving part if you account for the fact that a strut is just another non-moving part. I’ve been bracing tilt-rotor nacelles by having a U-joint on the nacelle, and a U-joint with a piston attached on the main body. Then strutting from the piston to the nacelle U-joint. (The nacelle rotates via a servo, this is just a stiffener)

Today I started a permanent base on the Mun. I had previously made a mobile base consisting of a Mining Rover,  Mobile Science Lab and a small Habitat module. All 3 could be docked and undocked. I wanted to start using TAC Life Support so I sent a ship with colony parts, and assembled it on the Mun using my Construction Gantry.

This is the ship I sent with parts from Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. There is a folded solar array using robotic hinges:

ze3Cf3f.jpg

This is the ship landed 114m from my intended destination. Mobile base and Construction Gantry in the back

CBecjfb.jpg

I have undocked the parts of the base and moved them with the Gantry:

O8kmDZ0.jpg

This is the colony base completed and all linked up using KAS. The landing ships tanks reconfigured for fuel storage.

1f59oIh.jpg

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

That is right. And thank you :)

Edit: The thing is, you have to test it in game if it works correctly, as the editor does not simulate physics and may deliver odd results.

Edited by Frank_G

Playing career. Really digging the new surface stuff. It's mostly roleplaying as at this point I know how to vacuum science out of the Kerbin SoI if I want to, but even so I'm playing this differently -- for one thing, I'm sending down scientists and engineers instead of pilots, which means I've got probe cores and antennas on everything and CommNet to make sure the nerds don't get in a comms blackout.

At this point I'm out of the potato phase, I've got stations around Mun and Minmus, I just tried a scanning arm which was fun, and now I'm supposed to find a crater and a baobab. Shakes things up nicely. I haven't even felt like going interplanetary yet.

Once I do I think I want to have a helicopter base on Duna to start with... and in fact I am planning a fairly wacky craft for the purpose, it's a flatbed rotorcraft lifter with atomics so it can shuttle stuff to and from Duna surface. And I want to send Ikarus to Eve. Haven't yet decided if it's a probe or a kerbal, if the latter, I have no plan on getting him back out of there which makes me uncomfortable...

1 hour ago, Frank_G said:

That is right. And thank you :)

Edit: The thing is, you have to test it in game if it works correctly, as the editor does not simulate physics and may deliver odd results.

I would love to be able to enable physics in the editor..

16 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

@_@! Is that a mod? Looks kool!

Yeah, it's the Night Vision Camera from HullcamVDS Continued, IMHO the most useful of the cameras from that mod, but definitely not the only cool one. Love the docking port cam, but I have to be careful not to use it on craft where I've got ejection seats, since the keyboard command to shut off the camera is the same as the one to eject...

On 6/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, woeller said:

I've got rid off all the Kraken Tech and gave my Falcon 9ish first stage new Landing gear.

@woeller Dig the engineering.

I've been trying my hand at this unsuccessfully.  
Feel free to share the craft file for us silly beings who can't seem to get this down.

Nebles Kerman was flown out to the southern Kerbin ice shelf to set up some additional solar panels and collect some barometric data to fulfill a contract.

o6XHPEw.jpg

Unlike the last disastrous attempt, I had since upgrade my spaceplane hanger so it could have more than thirty parts on a plane.  I set the plane up with a duel-wheel gear setup to better absorb the weight of the plane when it touches down (assuming all four tires impact the landing surface at the same time.) But I wasn't sure that would work, so I added about four parachutes on the wings and engine nacelles to allow it a vertical soft landing.  And just to be safe (since the landing gear on the last one got too warm after extended flight) I added some radiators to the top of the engine nacelles (you can see them still glowing hot even after landing in the screenshot above.)

23 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Doesn't surprise me...

Dres

Dres is the dwarf planet that no one remembers

(MY 200TH POST)

Today I learn about the never ever finished planet Harvest!

So they got to you too.  Open you mind, keeple!

I've been experimenting with electric rotor propellers, working toward an amphibious fan boat for exploring Eve's seas, and tonight my rotor test bed aircraft quite unexpectedly took off. Early taxi tests did not have enough thrust to get off the ground.

MwSaOGH.png

It's loosely based off of the PBY Catalina flying boat.

7nqM3nB.png

And here it is in the air, before I tried to maneuver and it fell out of the sky.

The craft is propelled by 8 powered six blade propellers in 4 counter rotating pairs. Rather than attaching the forward most rotors to the ones behind them, both rotors are attached fuel tanks in the wings and the forward ones are just offset forward.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

This is Swallow (which the test pilots say flies more like a cow) -- continuing High Kommand's complete obsession with aerial deployment -- depositing a 6-kerbal kommand post at Kamp David, 300 klicks north of KSC:

Lanke neglected to transfer back to the Lander Can (SOP) before final cut-away and is somewhat lucky to be alive.

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I frustrate over trying to find the perfect amount of dV for Dres. And to find the perfect maneuver node

This is why I use Alcubierre Drive. Just saying...the one time I visited the untrusted regions, it wasn't with conventional thrusters.

Managed to warp straight into orbit on the first try too. Still trying to figure that one out.

Edited by capi3101

It's funny how Career really puts the screws on your craft designs. I got a contract to scan a baobab and of course I decided that a helicopter is the best way to find one and get to it. I didn't have all the parts for a BAK-50 yet so I made a somewhat more primitive version running on just batteries and recharging off small solar panels. I also had highly primitive aerodynamics so I had to craft a rotor out of them... and it turns out it behaves better than the one I have on the standard BAK-52.

It quickly turned out that it's annoyingly slow and needs continuous control input to actually fly anywhere. So I added tilt rotor capability, and voilà, the perfect craft for the mission. Cruises with minimal control input at 30 m/s which was plenty to find a baobab and not get bored.

Trouble was the scanning arm was super sensitive to craft motion so actually scanning it was harder than anticipated but I did manage that too.

GCPqFMK.png

So upgrades coming to the BAK-50 and BAK-52. Expect better handling and genuine cruise capability.

(Who was it who said rotorcraft have no career applications again...?)

0G22DZm.png

I just recently got back into the game after Breaking Ground was released, and I've been playing through a Career game. Today, I set up my first CommNet relay in orbit of Duna, in preparation for further Dunar exploration.

Yes, I know I don't need that many solar panels, but it was an excuse to play with the new robotics parts :sticktongue:

Yesterday was apparently a game of Kerbal Aircraft Program instead of Kerbal Space Program.   Jeb continued being a test dummy to progress through multiple aircraft speed & altitude contracts.  Most were quite successful.  Here, a modified CF-01 Vampire with extended wings takes off for a 20km altitude record:

yQwnJd3.png?1

Then I went for a rocket-assisted Mach 3 record, although it needed way more oxidizer than I had and a good bit more thrust too.  But it flew halfway decent:

YsVIOR2.png?1

Second, more successful attempt, shown here returning to KSC:

wfspvMg.png?1

After the mach 3 contract was completed, it was time for the mach 4 contract.  I decided upon something close to my Falcon spaceplane design.  Since I don't have NERV's unlocked yet, I opted for a pair of Valiants and plenty of LFO in place of them.  It turned out to be easily capable of mach 4 and breaking 35km (although it didn't satisfy the altitude contract since it had rocket engines)

oPqGZ80.png?1

Finally, the Arrow was built to complete the 35km altitude contract on airbreathing engines only, and was a great success:

8ZdjCC0.png?1

QQLASjb.png?1

Not all Jeb's attempts were as successful as these:

rFsPFdm.png?1

Finally, my one satellite launch went awry due to a staging error.  I was attempting to get a nice screenshot of sunrise as the fairing was jettisoned.  And that happened to be where the staging error was so I caught this instead:

EnVqenH.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74