What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Atlas has finally landed!

It's mining 3.47/4.24 kal/sec LF/OX respectively.  It should fill in about 22 hours...  although it is slipping down this hill slope now at 0.5 m/s.  Slightly concerning.

3fmXJA7.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

After yesterday's failure, today I focused on building aircraft. I am not new to the subject - I have built VTOL aircraft in stock (fun but not very practical) - but for some reason, in Realism Overhaul mod I had constant issues with aircraft constantly swinging off the airfield before managing to take off.

So I built on a working design I had from somewhere (it is called Peregrine but no idea who org creater was ) which solved the wheels issue. I replaced the cockpit and changed the materials to the ones from RO mod. Also added canards.

The engine is based Tumansky R-11, used IRL for Mig-21 and Su-15. In this design it translates in 500-550 m/s max horizontal at 10 000+ meters, around 15 min of flight.

Take off speed : 127 m/s (with canards...). It climbs and accelerates OK though.

Landing speed: Beats me... I am not taking any chances in RO with this!

tyTDKA6.png

The mismatch in the colors is due to how lighting affects coloring of stock items (in this picture inline cockpit and landing gear boxes) and procedural items. I could have used more time to get it perfect but....life is too short...

@Krazy1 and @king of nowhere

What you guys need is WASD camera editor continued. Turn off the boundary in it and you can go anywhere around the model and far out from it in any direction, it is better than Hangar extender and gives you controls that are much easier to work with. Only trouble is once you start using it you will never want to go back to the stock way of building again.

https://spacedock.info/mod/56/WasdEditorCameraContinued

Edited by ColdJ

On saturday (NZT) I've setted up my mothership for a Jool 5 so I can tick it off my places to land. I had a nice scare when I was docking my SSTO for laythe when it was started to go dark like you know how orbits work heading to the dark side of kerbin. I am aiming to get the first part of the mission report done on tuesday (NZT) of setting up and started heading to jool around then.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:42 AM, DunaManiac said:

I've finished conceptualizing the Starbase - a model of large space station I'm planning to construct in LKO and around other planets.
tJWDjWC.jpg

I wonder how do you the image conceptualizing aka the photo I've quoted how do you do it?

I have done a single stage grand tour mission with a craft built by others. I just finished editing the video today. I have asked the original creator and I am waiting for permission to publish my video (should have asked earlier). 

1 hour ago, Alpaca Z said:

I have done a single stage grand tour mission with a craft built by others. I just finished editing the video today. I have asked the original creator and I am waiting for permission to publish my video (should have asked earlier). 

Always ask for permission and welcome to the forums

55 minutes ago, obnox twin said:

Always ask for permission and welcome to the forums

Thanks for your suggestion and warm welcome! 

I hope to create my own craft for a single stage grand tour mission, but that still needs some more work.

Edit: I got permission and here is my video

Edited by Alpaca Z

[JAXA+] 2026-04-06 - After being launched by an H-Z 200S, the Lunar Cruiser XL lands at the Moon's south pole using four descent engine pods, and takes the crew of Tsukuyomi (Hibito Nanba, Mutta Nanba, and Takio Azuma) to the rim of Shackleton Crater.

(note: due to the lack of braking friction physics in the landing legs, the Tsukuyomi base slid down 2 kilometers before settling down at a flat spot)

(the sun should be shining at the rim as it is a "peak of eternal light," and the Kerbalism mod is detecting sunlight)

qUlpuLA.png

C6P68dq.png

aZVyuN8.png

Jwk1niK.png

Edited by Pipcard

So I just picked up Kerbal again after a long hiatus.  I have to say, when I landed an airplane, I was pleasantly surprised at the wheels working perfectly. I think they FINALLY got the "new" wheel module working right.  It was really smooth to finally land and take off using the smallest wheels without the plane wheelbarrowing out of control.  

As of what else I did other than an airplane flight, I did the usual early game stuff.   A series of rockets before reaching orbital, then one that elongates its orbit to high orbit to nab that science too.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar stuff I did.

After literally MONTHS, trying to learn everything I needed, I've landed on the Mun twice.

Getting back to Kerbin is still unsuccessful. I keep running out of Delta-V when I'm trying to make my return trajectory. I'm not sure if I'm designing it wrong, or just a bad pilot, wasting fuel. Either is entirely possible.

34 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

After literally MONTHS, trying to learn everything I needed, I've landed on the Mun twice.

Getting back to Kerbin is still unsuccessful. I keep running out of Delta-V when I'm trying to make my return trajectory. I'm not sure if I'm designing it wrong, or just a bad pilot, wasting fuel. Either is entirely possible.

In my "experience", reaching the Mün is "easy". Staying in one piece, not that much! :D 

Insist, resist - do not desist ;) If I eventually managed to do it, you will too! :sticktongue:

(warning: long, tedious, boring footage of a terrible Mün mission ahead)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, stephensmat said:

First, always go reverse direction around the Mun.  It turns slow enough that it isn't a problem to land and lift off, and it provides you an oberth boost for return trajectory. 

Second, play with the manuver nodes to find how to get a good return trajectory.  If you pack a good enough heat shield you can aerobreak a bunch of your delta-V by aiming for around 35-45km in the atmo for your return kerbin periapsis.  It should take less than 800 delta V to get back from the Mun despite the insane amount it took to get there.

6 hours ago, obnox twin said:

I've finally landed on Duna for the first time which I am angry at myself it took a very long time but I smashed the engine on the landing and the lander tipped on its side so now I have to do a rescue mission

I've crashed on Duna so many times, it isn't funny.  There is a reason I haven't even tried to land any missions on Eve that I don't intend to be one way.

Edited by Ruedii

eScmiw8.png

The Jewel 2 sets out for Minmus. I had to rearrange a few of the modules so that the CoM would be more balanced. It has a crew of 2 regular crew, 2  base crew, and 4 station crew. I planned to rendezvous with the currently derelict Service Station 1 in Minmus Orbit, before using the trailer tug at MSB1 to ferry the base modules down to the surface.

SBthn5J.png

D72oa8B.png

CUUna7N.png

The Jewel 2 mothership rendezvoused with the station. I planned to use the tug to assemble the station modules that Jewel 2 brought.

EO5zFQk.png

The only problem that I could forsee was the fact that in order to reduce part count I didn't add a docking port to the other side of the solar array. So I employed Dildrin to move a spare docking port from another module to the end of the solar panel, allowing it to be moved.

rTc6Rg4.png

PY7K89U.png
Things went smoothly however, and the station was completed.

KccQV45.png

Kkfl6r8.png

Soon after, I berthed with it in order to allow the kerbals to transfer over. And with that, Service Station 1 is complete. All that's left to do now is transfer the base modules down to the surface with the help of my trailer tug down at the Minmus Base.

Edited by DunaManiac