What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My Dres Station Expansion mission arrived and was connected to the tiny initial station I sent there some years ago. The expansion is just a central cross connector and a large fuel storage tank with docking ports. It was also carrying a fancy tourist lander for up to 21 people (a Mk-2 lander can and Mk-3 capsule hidden under the fairing).

No64mkH7_o.jpg

I flew my Koffer Ku-134 back from the desert to KSC, with another perfect landing without use of autopilot. I'm still surprised how such a large jet plane can feel like a tiny chopper bi-plane. Compared to this my fuel refinery plane flies a lot like a brick doesn't, I might have to try using this wing design on it, although it does take up a lot more parking space.

6q8wmOTx_o.jpg

A day after the Dres station expansion my NuKerBus Mk-2 arrived at Dres, I had the 8 tourists and 3 crew flying in the lander, but I need something to take them back to Kerbin too, so this interplanetary shuttle was sent along without crew.

npXf6Wgr_o.jpg

Then I spent some time watching empty capsules almost burn up in the atmosphere but just make it through to finally crash into the ground or water at terminal velocity. I push the vessels of the rescue contracts to an orbit with a 25-30K periapsis but they won't actually crash unless I watch them, sort of a Schrodinger orbit. I don't mind watching it but I wish they'd explode from overheating. Interestingly, an empty Mk-1 passenger cabin will actually survive a drop from low orbit into the water and can be recovered, but all the others go boom when they crash.

Edited by Beamer

On 11/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, panzer1b said:

After dumping like 6 bursts into it i finally got a complete kill on the Mk1 (every tank ive made sofar has the same flaw where there is a single ibeam as the core part and if the round happens to smack that there is no amount of armor that will stop the tank from being killed, all i can do is move it somewhere where it is less likely to get hit).  Also shot up the Mk2 early version which refused to go down despite burst after burst into it.

That's kinda cool tbh, one could pretend it's the crew of the tank

17 hours ago, IllicitMedic said:

Launched the comsats & mapping satellite to Minmus to prepare for arrival of drilling equipment for the future deep space refueling station.

Spoiler

dNi01de.jpg1XN3WKI.jpg2PXffVN.jpg

Following up on this post from last night, the temp hab module for the future construction crew has landed along with the rover that will work with an orbiting satellite to find the most abundant location for mining, the satellite has already narrowed it down to this landing site & the rover will find the final point. They rover was detached from the module & slowly moved to the side & down using a sky crane as pictured. All portions of this mission have been remotely controlled. The first 2 crew members consisting of a pilot & engineer is already on route from Kerbin & should arrive within in 6 days aboard the Minmus Crew Vehicle which will fairy crew & small to medium size cargo from the surface to the future refueling station.

lEOPEw3.jpgzAawju7.jpgfhcnaEy.jpg

I was testing an experimental spaceplane and it went well enough for me to foolishly try to land it on the Mun.  I wasn't really paying attention and as it was coming down to the last 2000 meters an eclipse happened.  It was a bit of a brown shorts time, but it all came out in the wash.

DWLNUw2.jpg

9J3GJib.jpg

I built a new SSTO, the Aesir, and took it for a tour around Kerbin system.

X57DEO9.png

nvRfFKV.png

PjYm4LQ.png

The landing was perfect, it did not almost clip the ground, losing a wing strake, and swerve sideways off the runway. Drogue chutes and additional control surfaces are definitely not being added as we speak.

Spoiler

jXO33FZ.png

Jeb launched at night. The twin rapiers easily pushed him supersonic on a craft of this weight.

eQQMdKD.png

Easily making 1200ms-1; I think it could have done 1300 but I pitched it a bit too high.

l0lfeOU.png

After a short burn exhausted all the LfO, it took a while to make orbit. I think that I actually made an 80 by 40km orbit before I cut the engines!

After circularising to 80x81, I had about 3kms-1 left.

DM3CRgz.png

Several plane changes and a kick up to 250km later...

Sf4Wuv9.png

m2VUHJ6.png

Thrust is rather low on this thing...

JqHF9sQ.pngKerbin recedes into the distance...

mTTLt2R.png

and the cool green mint of Minmus approaches.

9tk8uxE.png

Velocity is killed at around 20m above the surface and the craft is tipped over for a nice soft bouncy landing.

X57DEO9.png

Didn't refine much fuel here, just enough to get to the Mun on the LV-N NERV, plus full tanks of oxidant.

Dust clouds by Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements.

6Ee2Rzh.png

Leaving Minmus...

srxNWfn.png

and approaching the Mun. An extremely harrowing descent because Kerbal Engineer was behaving annoyingly and didn't calculate the suicide burn correctly (burn length: half a minute, time to impact: five minutes, time to burn: negative ten minutes).

ZHr6BN5.png

Launch was much better. You can just about see the vernors; when the ship is mostly empty of fuel, these have munar TWR > 1 and so the ship gently VTOL'd into the munar sky.

bhvvIOx.png

goodbye Mun...

jdECcr4.png

hello Kerbin!

iRkXTBu.png

Throttle at 2/3 meant that we skimmed the waves just above Mach 1, and were home in no time.

Craft file to follow.

I can't believe it. The 'Heavy Booster' worked on a Jool flight twice. Is it possible my Jool 'Curse' has been broken?

I build a base to a Contract specification, and sent it to Jool for a Vall intercept.

cxPkQli.png

And unlike my Pol Base, I got two 'braking orbits' instead of just one, so the Booster still had fuel when I arrived at Val. landing the thing was almost... easy. (Easy. For me. On a Jool Flight. What game am I even playing?!)

IX03aII.png

So, now I have permanent Science Bases on Pol and Vall. I think this new configuration might just have broken my own personal Jool Curse. And best of all,  the contract was worth 1.9 million. My last seven flights were just paid for, and then some.

Oh, and I wanted to get a shot of Jool coming up over the Horizon, but it seems Vall is tide-locked, so it's almost directly overhead; all the time.

Spoiler

J29Wego.png

Flying my new upcoming spacestation Crew Radec Kerman, Samantha Kerman, Rodney McKerman, Miles O'Kerman and Carson Kerman (Rodney's only friend) from the survival training ground in the desert to the KSC using my supersonic Typhoon Mk II Jet (some kind of Mini-Reallife-Concorde).

icGBv3j.png

Even @10km height it's a hot ride: Fast, faster... typhoon !

2lQnQyO.png

And yes... I have set the reentry heat to 50% to have a little more tolerance in designing nice spaceplanes and jets... I know, it's kinda cheaty - but otherwise nice pleasing designs are not as possible as now... Design before perfect keeping of all tolerance values (the Mk1 cockpit for example burns up really quickly... So quick, that it makes it really hard to use it in fast planes - and since KSP offers not a big variety of cockpits, I just don't want to leave it out....

For my playstyle i'd always prefer visually pleasing crafts to ugly ones, that have ugly ways to cope with heat etc.

Edited by Rakete

Finally my game visuals are starting to look the way I want them to.

eWlHyvX.png
Just need to figure out how to get the Parallax 2.0 trees out of my urban area.

LAKeu6l.png

And maybe move the "city" out of the direct line with the runway at KSC.

C7rn8r5.jpg

Night lights look mostly good.

Also I updated my map that I need to post to my old PSA "world" thread. Here's the WIP pic of the map in Paint.Net:

a1kzuGg.jpg

It's a rescaled 2.667x Kerbin. City lights detail textures ("Day", "Night") are from JNSQ, so no redistributing. City lights main texture is a mashup of one of the CC-licensed packs and my hand editing with a stylus on my touchscreen laptop.

What started as a simple project to replace one engine on one launch rocket became a sprawling fleet-wide upgrade program with all my launch rockets getting the latest and greatest engines along with improvements in other systems and small but noticeable increases in payload capacity. I also somehow ended up making my largest rocket even larger, with a 33% increase in total mass yielding a 33% increase in payload to orbit; not sure about the price, but I’d imagine went from how much!? to how many kidneys do you really need anyway?

By the end of it all, what was supposed to be a minor upgrade on a contract-farming satellite launcher ended up producing a completely new rocket that was 20% more expensive, 40 tons heavier- and more than double the payload capacity.

I built a flying car. It drives OK, doesn't fly that well. It can't take off on its own with the rover wheels so I have to use the slope between the runway and the ground (this is what i'm referring to)

11QsY1E.png\

SCnOWlO.png

How do you land this thing? Parachutes. I don't want to bother with landing this thing on its wheels. How do you land after the parachutes are used? You don't

qvJs3JK.png

2 minutes ago, tajwo said:

How do you land this thing? Parachutes. I don't want to bother with landing this thing on its wheels. How do you land after the parachutes are used? You don't

Just repack your parachutes once you are on the ground and you are good to go again.

Just now, tajwo said:

I thought only engineers could do that? I guess that's only for career mode. Good to know

I assumed to be having fun like that you were in sandbox. So yep in sandbox any Kerbal can repack.

Well I've spent the morning getting my KSP 1.12.4 environments up and running (Launcher bypassed). I've got DEV, TEST, and PLAY instances created and I've got all my mods tweaked the way I like them

So now... Back to the beginning

First Flight  

The Lab Boffins slapped some data gathering devices on the Parvo and sent Jeb aloft looking for Science. 

nYfCxeb.png

8 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Well I've spent the morning getting my KSP 1.12.4 environments up and running (Launcher bypassed). I've got DEV, TEST, and PLAY instances created and I've got all my mods tweaked the way I like them

So now... Back to the beginning

First Flight  

The Lab Boffins slapped some data gathering devices on the Parvo and sent Jeb aloft looking for Science. 

nYfCxeb.png

Which mod is this for wings and blurry propeller? Have done propellerplanes only with stock parts.

Also: Which mod is used for the city below? I am currently using spectra.

2 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Which mod is this for wings and blurry propeller? Have done propellerplanes only with stock parts.

The prop is from Airplane Plus. The wings are from MK-1 Stockalike open cockpit and stock. 

6 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Also: Which mod is used for the city below? I am currently using spectra.

The city is part of the citylights in the  default configs for Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux

10 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

The city is part of the citylights in the  default configs for Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux

Have Eve Redux. How do I activate them? My Eve Redux is out-of-the-box mainly configured by spectra and scatterer, so how can I add the default config for cities?

10 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

The prop is from Airplane Plus. The wings are from MK-1 Stockalike open cockpit and stock.

Airplane plus? Has it reached a stable release for 1.12.x ? My last info was, that balancing is still in progress, so I hesitated to download it and build crafts on it, which might not work anymore after all the balancing is done.

Edited by Rakete