What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

9 hours ago, Rakete said:

Every Kerbal deserves a return to home.

Why?, I mean it’s their issue if they used all of their delta v and can’t come home.  If you give me a valid reason I will send a rescue craft to save my orbiting kerbal.

3 hours ago, Hi123 said:

Why?, I mean it’s their issue if they used all of their delta v and can’t come home.  If you give me a valid reason I will send a rescue craft to save my orbiting kerbal.

The valid reason is the challenge for you to design a craft able to do it and to actually perform the mission.

The first wave of supply modules arrives at Duna.

Caravan 1

SR3Cy32.png

Caravan 2

WvfeocF.png

And Caravan 3

PW0J0SJ.png

The only problem is they all docked with just fumes the tanks. I was hoping for more left over fuel for refueling a lander to be sent later. :(

Edited by N_Danger
Grammer

I did my first rendezvous and rescue mission. Played a long time without learning docking well, but it went pretty smoothly. Hooked up an old relay-satellite design with a command seat, and Tedvey was happy when we got to him.

If only I'd remembered to bring the parachute BEFORE I met Tedvey in Minmus's orbit. :sealed:

9 hours ago, Hi123 said:

qMTMia0.png

I finally landed on Minmus, one issue I do not think there is not enough delta v to home. But he did succeed so I (might) send a rescue craft to save him.

Judging by how much fuel you're showing on the bar graph, I think you should be able to return. Congratulations. :) 

3 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

I did my first rendezvous and rescue mission. Played a long time without learning docking well, but it went pretty smoothly. Hooked up an old relay-satellite design with a command seat, and Tedvey was happy when we got to him.

If only I'd remembered to bring the parachute BEFORE I met Tedvey in Minmus's orbit. :sealed:

Did he/she make it home? 

33 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Did he/she make it home? 

Tedvey is still out there, on what is basically a chair with 2,500m/s of dV. I have launched a rocket to Minmus, which I had to do anyway for another contract, and I've given it an empty command pod for him. The pan is to land it on Minmus, mine some ore (the other contract), and precision-land him beside it for the trip back home. I trust my ability to land precisely on Minmus, so it will be fine. Currently he's in low Minmus orbit waiting for the rescue-rescue, currently transferring to Minmus.

Edited by CrazyJebGuy

A Little Cold War Aviation

Test flight of the latest CJ Aerospace offering, the Black Bird 71

5kgTrMa.png

Spoiler

Val and Jeb take off to put the aircraft through its paces

SpKkzhV.png

Climbs to the upper atmosphere with ease, and is very fast.  

rHklOij.png

Has a pretty good range, perfect for those high level reconnaissance flights over [REDACTED]

6WHCrit.png

Lands light as a feather and is a very fun aircraft to fly. 

LGmgUl8.png

Optional canards can be installed for more maneuverability if desired. 

1jm68AP.png

I found out my launch profiles were wayyy too steep. Held the old habit over of "start turning at 10km" but also got a bit lax over time about actually turning, so oftentimes I'd be at maybe 10 degrees before 15-20km, and come out of the atmosphere at 30-35 from vertical, so it was steep even for the old steep approaches. Did some testing with a Kerbal X, comparing to some competition thread I found. My normal profile got to orbit with 3780 dV and 3719 dV (two tries). I tried one that I wrote was "wildly shallow": 40 degrees (from vertical) by 9.5k, it took 3462. My best run, when I read the best modern profile, got down to 3351 dV by turning 45 degrees at 8km.

The worst run was when I did the L-approach of burning upward, to space, then sideways, to orbit, ("L" for the shape, and "loser") but also restricting the throttle so the apoapsis was never more than 50s away. 4398 m/s of dV. When I repeated the run, but full-throttled it all the way to 80km apoapsis, I got 3989 dV, which is bad but not too bad. Oddly, this was tied for being the fastest way to orbit.

TL;DR: Learnt I've been doing it wrong since 2015.

I made a Surveyor-ish cheap lander designed for landing on inner solar system. So far, its landed on Minmus on its own power, on the Mun with the aid of the  transfer stage doing like 80% of the deorbit burn

64L7Clp.png

KrdFbI9.png

I also sent a rover to the Mun.

XwniNbE.png

eJJqH62.png

Here's the good boi scanning rocks

5RCsEZr.png

I returned to KSP after a really long time and I had almost forgotten how much fun it was :)

Breaking Barriers

Jeb on a return flight from above 10kms and breaking the Mach1 barrier on a slow decent.

This aircraft was my first ever that I successfully designed and flew way back when I started. (You always remember your first). 

It was originally called the P2 but then I remembered by French lessons and renamed it to "Pitou".     

MDSMjfw.png