What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Oh not a lot. Just finding out that after a few years away from KSP, now rovers on Mun are a flippin joke. Disney On Ice galore. I know I built Mun-capable rovers that had great success exploring in the earlier version of KSP but now when I returned, these things work as well as a rocket engine made of cheese, that is not at all. That was a bummer.

Today's Achievement: I landed a Science Base on Laythe.

Took me a few tries to land on... well, land. Those islands aren't as big when you're coming down from orbit. I kept shorting the landing because of my heat shield.

IR993wb.png

Finally, I cut the thing loose in high orbit, and came down without a HS. I had less than 200 Delta-V left in final approach, but it was enough to slow me down, and prevent overheating. Easier to stay in Retrograde position with the engines on anyway.

It meant I was at the mercy of my parachutes to find a landing spot, but that was okay. Four landing legs at 9.2m/s. A bit jarring, but she held together.

Not only that, it gave me my favorite shot of the game so far:

xrnp08H.png

I now have bases on three out of five Moons of Jool.

Turns out I screwed up this one a bit with regards to the ladder. It'll reach the ground, but for some reason my Kerbalnaut can't haul herself up to the edge, and make her way to the next ladder. So if I step outside to plant a flag, I'll need cheats to get her back in. (I'm not a purist about using cheats, but I usually only employ them when I make a stupid mistake. My rule is: Anything I can fix with a minor tweak in the VAB isn't worth starting the mission again.)

Edited by stephensmat

So for those who have seen Hazegrayart's videos, I was watching this one this morning:

I decided I had to make something along these lines. So I did. I present KLS-E, or Kerbal Launch System - Energia.
dfik25f-c871f7f4-ccaf-4230-843f-d280757a

I have other versions of KLS as well, just like the real NLS proposals. This one's probably the most insane. God bless autostrut. Also yes, those are @Beale's Energia boosters from the Tantares Mods.

18 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

So for those who have seen Hazegrayart's videos, I was watching this one this morning:

I decided I had to make something along these lines. So I did. I present KLS-E, or Kerbal Launch System - Energia.
dfik25f-c871f7f4-ccaf-4230-843f-d280757a

I have other versions of KLS as well, just like the real NLS proposals. This one's probably the most insane. God bless autostrut. Also yes, those are @Beale's Energia boosters from the Tantares Mods.

You made a non-cursed rocket impossible :o

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife

After a long hiatus from the game I got the motivation to come back. To my surprise my save file was still in tact despite getting a new computer, so I spent a good part of yesterday fixing orbital correction burns for my interplanetary spacecrafts. 

Today I tested out a redesigned variant of my Eagle SSTO. I had this issue where the wings kept getting ripped off as I was turning and I was gently informed that you're not supposed to make supersonic turns at low atmosphere, so I tried a different approach to the ascent profile where I just aimed it up 15 degrees and let it coast. Unfortunately as a mk3 spaceplane with 6 rapiers it doesn't have a lot of airbreathing thrust so a lot of oxidizer was used to get into orbit. Upon entering orbit I found I had a good 3500 m/s dv on the craft without any payload, which I'm pretty sure is less than my previous iteration but whatever.

XqeKJ40.jpg

Upon deorbit and landing a familiar issue that I've encountered with mk3 sstos occurred; the fuel wasn't completely empty so the center of mass was behind the center of lift! Luckily I was pretty high up so I quickly shifted a bunch of fuel upwards. I also failed somewhat at landing at the KSC so I had to use the engines to fly to the desert. This thing flies like a brick but other than the brakes not braking enough the landing went well.

The other thing I did was send my Mining Ship to the Mun to test out it's capabilities in hopes that the one I sent to the Jool system will perform well. The thing only had 1.4k dv after refueling and stocking up on ore so I'm not sure if I was successful on that front.

WiffN5a.jpg

y3R9Inv.jpg

There was also a small crater feature nearby that I assumed to be an anomaly from the Scan Sat's "?" reading, landed a bit far away but cool.

I tried making an interplanetary starship that would carry 177 kerbals, I did make it but when I tried to refuel it on Duna, my converter failed after I got only %27 filled into the storage container, I decided to use time warps to get to Jool which was my destination, but failed. My fuel ended and I crashed into Jool and killed all my kerbals. 

Started working on a new and improved space station design that I plan to use as the hub for lunar operations in the future, with docking spaces for landers, visiting crew capsules and refuel/resupply missions. I’ve made the core module with docking ports, storage tanks and all the ancillary systems to make it functional in its own right, plus a lab module that will be launched separately; still to do, a habitation module for visiting crews so they can sleep in proper beds and not the seats in their capsules and possibly a dedicated propulsion system for orbit adjustments. I may even add a docking port so the existing station can be connected up to the new one, no sense letting it go to waste since it’s already out there.

Sent this thing that kind of looks like a carrot to Eve. It's an Eve Ascent Vehicle (version 3)

Did a K-Drive bottom stage, because I didn't want to spend forever making one.

0huIDNO.png

What's that strange dot? Oh wait, its Eve.DFboGGs.png

Orbit adjusting. Had to turn on infinite power here, because my solar panels were in the shade. (didn't look like that though)

vVOmk56.png

Leaving it there, to get the plane to the Kerbals on the surface.

wait the planes already there

qcK8kuB.png

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
wait what

Today I rethunk my approach to refueling via ore mining by designing a spacestation module to do refinery instead of doing trips between the surface and orbital stations with a mining ship. After testing it's refueling capabilities on the launchpad I sent it to my Mun Spacestation. GniowIx.jpgkDFbwPv.jpg

Morning flight to Uberdam

The crew is eager to test fly the latest addition to the fleet, the Revere III from @Hotel26 Aerospace. 

1tCjQ4d.png

It's roomy for 6 passengers. It has speed and maneuverability, it can land and takeoff from the water, it has extensive range to reach all across Kerbin. This is the Swiss Army Knife of aircraft!

(and it is fun to fly)

jraOfxM.png

Ty it out for yourselves... Revere-III Available on KerbalX

8 hours ago, FezCool said:

Today I rethunk my approach to refueling via ore mining by designing a spacestation module to do refinery instead of doing trips between the surface and orbital stations with a mining ship. After testing it's refueling capabilities on the launchpad I sent it to my Mun Spacestation. GniowIx.jpgkDFbwPv.jpg

You’re hauling ORE to orbit!? :o Why, when you can build a mining rig and just leave it on the surface, hauling fuel up to the station via a dedicated fuel tanker instead?

I've been busy recently trying to get into Stellaris, but last night I decided to take a break from the constant menus and I ended up spending about an hour or so working on the design of a resupply vehicle.

A resupply vehicle is, of course, not a terribly exciting thing. Nonetheless, my burgeoning station program needs something to replenish supplies, and thus, the LARV (Leo Autonomous Resupply Vehicle) was born. I would have thought of a more articulate acronym, but I was seriously out of ideas.

T0EYZD1.png

Given its name, the LARV is based off of the Leo spacecraft. They share nearly identical service modules, albeit with the removal of the rear docking port and the addition of a 'tail'. Originally, the design featured wing-like solar panels, but instead I opted for the tail, attempting to distinguish the LARV from any other mundane resupply vehicle. But at the end of the day, it's still a can, just with the addition of a tail.

nBFZqNs.png

Here it is in action, and the main reason I wanted to post this - in orbit, the LARV lays on its side instead of facing prograde. Initially, I had it facing prograde but that often  obscured the solar panel, so instead it's more efficient to have it going sideways (pointing normal). Combine that with a slow barbecue roll and it is just incredibly silly to me, for some obscure reason.

Gu8EFgS.png

0ibNiTY.png

On 11/21/2022 at 2:19 PM, LN400 said:

rovers on Mun are a flippin joke. Disney On Ice galore

That got botched  in one of the 1.12 updates. Try a lander. They just slide down any hill more than a few degrees AND you can't save or change ships if it's moving more than 0.1m/s. And they didn't try to fix it in the 1.12.4 update. 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:09 PM, FezCool said:

There was also a small crater feature nearby that I assumed to be an anomaly from the Scan Sat's

That's from Breaking Ground. https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Surface_features

Just braking this giant piece of rock (and hopefully graviolium) into an equatorial LKO for further examination and drilling.

The nuclear salt water engine does it's part. But the dV dropped from 30k to 2k after connecting to this giant rock. Yes, mass matters. :D 

Jim and Elsa are having fun (joining the three dolphins club?! who knows :D ). Every maneuver takes long, even with this massive thrust from the NSW-Rocket.

What am I going to do, after having eaten all of the delicious rock? Maybe drop it into the ocean to make some nice waves for surfin' , Jeb proposed while munchin' some snacks.

PKIhlww.jpg

Edited by Rakete

Also: Taking home some LqHe3-Samples from the Mun.

For Science. Someone said, they might be useful for fusion experiments. Valentina thinks of some nice fusiondriven fireworks but Bill and Bob only shrugged their shoulders. :D

4nzHYKw.png

Meanwhile: Arthur keeps on plowing through regolith to extract LqHe3

P6wSfhd.png