What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Tonight started by doubling KSP load time with moar mods, and then I started looking for funds for next overly expensive spaceships....

Three satellites got launched to do some magnetic field science for long time

elA8LXI.png

... but of course I had to do in in single launch of experimental vessel ...

Spoiler

lFix8Pz.png

Due to some staging issues Jeb landed with more parts than expected ...

Spoiler

2rr5NXN.png

In meantime I found not just a boulder, but a rock!

evKMSLc.png

What is the name of the field in the .sfs savefile  that defines the current game time?

What are the implications of bumping it up a few hours to avoid a long low altitude warp?

I'm wondering how it might affect:

Background resource processing.

Crafts on rails going through orbit SOI transitions in the skipped interval.

Contract timers and durations.

Things I'm not thinking about.

Edited by darthgently

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Pressed F9 and ended up on a mission from yesterday #hitmewitharocket

Maybe try Better Load Save Game Renewed. It brings up a menu; won't load instantly. It's faster loading the menu and will go directly to the ship you were flying when you saved instead of always back to KSC. I changed my keys to F5 to load and right-CTRL for save so I won't have any problem if I hit the wrong F key. 

2 hours ago, darthgently said:

What is the name of the field in the .sfs savefile  that defines the current game time?

What are the implications of bumping it up a few hours to avoid a long low altitude warp?

Don't know the field but can't you just go to the tracking station and warp up to 100000x ? 

Added sciencedefs to my mod today. I did get a bit carried away and did most of the situations for half of the experiements! It includes lore! Oh, and of course, attempting to eat rocks thinking its something else on 3 bodies, Thermometers explodings, Barometers imploding, sentient goo, etc.
Oh, and the corrosive moon? Yea a kerbal even brings a terrarium home with creatures from there!

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

That works, was just wondering about another way with less scene switching as long as the game isn't running yet

Switch to other craft in higher orbit? There's always some contract junk satellite floating around in silly orbit.

But it would be good to have some kind of KAC to not miss maneuver.

Tonight I continued looking for funds, thus I sent some cost-optimized trashcans on silly missions, and even managed to make them not look too ugly.

9fuQhLm.png

VikCLB5.png

And then I discovered MOLE research stopped working after last modding foray, blah.

Not much. Building a Hackintosh with a Intel i5-4570  quad-core processor with plans to upgrade to a i7 4770 or 4771.

Computer started out as a used Lenovo Thinkcentre M73 small form (Free from work when we moved and upgraded all the computers. Was a 100% working unit)

Test run cleaning, stacking in 8 gigs of RAM instead of 2 and installing Ubuntu and it works fairly well with a old-as-dust 160 gig 5200 RPM HDD. That will get changed to a SATA3 SSD or a PCIe x1 M2 SATA drive.

GPU is going to be tricky, but it will be a Nvidia Low Profile format.

Stay tuned........

I managed to scrounge enough funds to send a gaggle of drones....

... inside double ribbed rocket, for science and pleasure I guess...

R4JMCGK.png

... choke full of space goodies ...

Spoiler

Hp6YZMI.png

.. and after surprisingly stable flight it reached its destination...

A new and shiny space cruiser!

Spoiler

oEFdRRI.png

It was financed by advance payments of both science and tourist missions so it ended up as a ship for nerds, where they can engage in such experiments as testing ice cream in space! At impressive ~0.6 TWR under full load.

As experiments are comfortably nested in cargo holds, for aesthetic reasons, a servo is used to rotate MOLE segments for easy clicking!

Spoiler

gwMAe6s.png

... thats some worryingly looking cargo on ventral slot...

Not the ugliest vessel I have cobbled together, and even somewhat practical.

Spoiler

NgMoRTz.png

To be continued ...

I took Astarte to Mun, and finally drained last ascent boosters...

SPv5S9F.png

Got some science from two biomes...

Spoiler

urHW45B.png

Failed to establish comsat constelation with micro drones, RCS dV readouts are problematic, but at least they looked nice.

Spoiler

IHFlZBH.png

And upon return to Kerbin Bob fiddled with secret cargo mumbling something about "only way to be sure"....

N35cVaL.png

... Then there was time to replace one screaming gaggle of tourist to another. I probably kerbed around too much in this game if I can make ugly SSTO droppod from random parts in first attempt, wasn't it supposed to be hard?

Spoiler

b0dBrZh.png

I have started a new organization: the Monke Space Program! Our goal is to broaden the reach of space monkeys everywhere, based off one philosophy: monkey brain like number go up. With our snack cupboards filled to the brim with bananas, we launched our first vessel into orbit: Le Monke!

SD24sUE.png

Jebediah's patriotic display of our glorious flag.

Next stop: the Mun.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

Pimp My Ride

Kerpollo V's mission to the Mun's Far Side Crater.  A little engineering test . All parts stowed in Inventory on the Lander. (Some assembly required)  

z45dreH.png

A few wheels here, a few seats there...  (needed to use both KAS and EVA Construction to get the optimal result)

Xzfooa8.png

And we are motoring! (a better name would have been cooler) ;p
v5DUnC6.png

Val went for a fly-by of the Mun.

BtGL06T.png

Spoiler

We go for a free return and the d/v was tight so the ship ended up doing a not-very-close flyby.

8UjkA6m.png

We get a fine view  of Kerbin out of it at least. 

Zsia5ZC.png

And we make it back before the stress of living 9 days in an unpressurized can, while wearing a space suit, causes Val to make a FREAKING SCENE .

TRLV63L.png

Plans are made and tests are done for a better long duration vehicle.

ILTInCs.png

Spoiler

Of course Bill dares Jeb to pull the Abort switch. With predictable results.

KE8c6pb.png

But hey we know it works now right?

PtrNJxW.png

The first test flight

Gkf6y9X.png

And in orbit.

XtkgiZH.png

I successfully solved a bunch of issues with my planet pack!
After doing some shenanigans by running beyond home alongside my mod and in general doing things to the game I shouldnt have been doing

its a bit bright here!
D46DQsP.png

its a quatenary system now!

nftYTTg.png

four stars from Temporalis (it won over Rhode.. i set both .cfg files to the same name)

xUhrlx8.png

dear god the system is just chaos
iRXHMfP.png

Well.. I managed to screw up the game real bad and completely destroyed kerbin template textures

63rWrHp.png

It was so bad, that it somehow persisted after I completely wiped my ksp folder and reinstalled the game from steam..

h9HG6YT.png

and kept getting this cursed broken main menu screen

And after tons of troubleshooting, I figured out that I could just.. ya know.. use a custom texture instead
QY5HhH1.png

also I figured out the issue of the barycenter emitting light and fixed the flarereplacer flares! looks much nicer now
However, the stars 'blocking light' when eclipsing is a kopernicus issue.. so we will have to wait..

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

Today I recreated ferry mission to Island Airfield. Using slightly upgraded boat, I am using for maybe a year or so.

Spoiler

fU75iPu.png
Preparing for load

3kF6B5o.png
Almost thousand parts meeting. The moving part of crane is unpacked and on rails at the same time :)

u9I9QST.png
Loaded, ready for transfer.

Z9gC7Tw.png
Truck is well connected and let's say "stable", but trail is free to move. Which means part accidental clipping, wheel breaking and board dancing...

ELV5T4l.png
...but it survived

wOo3v6u.png
Most critical part of mission. I guess, trail didn't flip over thanks to accidental part clipping.

sXKIdo9.png
OK, lets repair all wheels and try to unload trail.

zsq6iup.png
Everything is on its place. Main mission is completed. Lets do some extended one.

VTDxjrd.png
Back to the water.

aKb4Ot1.png
After few kilometers, I realized there is stranded Kerman on board. Looks worse than it actually is.

YU9PWfi.png
Time to do extended mission - parasitic vessels test. First is submarine.

Zf9WdyC.png
So Kerbals took their protein pills and put their helmets on.

bO5kxtU.png
Ocean floor touched

DjLhV8n.png
KSP in a nutshell: Submarine flies well.

uZ4BVFi.png
Well balanced buoyancy

RFnvRrD.png
Test passed, back to the board.

oxiiDZo.png
Second vessel test. This paraglide is already flight proven, so its more fun, than a test.

8jUbwQ7.png
Prepare for flight..

0DEzwgI.png
...and weeeeeeeeee

PFQIgBP.png
Back to KSC

ewQKWRY.png
Loading paraglide back

Qkj8sCv.png
Extended mission is over. Success!

Depending on ocean waves interaction, boat is able to reach ~40 m/s uloaded or ~33 m/s loaded and so "fast" is also the submarine. Paraglide can fly from ~13 m/s up to ~130 m/s.

What happened to me first time is total overload of kOS CPU, which I use mainly for radar. It renders game unplayable, with about 1 frame per 5 seconds. Turning CPU off helped get framerate back.