What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Eh, I've seen worse...

Why do I get the feeling you have a ridiculous modlist like me? These are neat by the way.

Back when I was posting my JNSQ career as an ongoing series, I had the mod list posted at the beginning.  It wasn't RSS-length ridiculous, but I had a fair number of pretty large mods.

Since I can't seem to get a Kerbal to the moons alive, I flew a tin can probe to both moons and it went almost flawlessly. I have two probodobovines (tuna cans) parked, one on Mun and one on Minmus, both with a thermometer, pressure gauge, and antenna since I would need a live scientist to reset the goo and jr and well... :-)

So far in my learning curve, this is a monumental feat. 10% of my rockets never make it 5 km up before nose diving into the ground near KSP. 85% of them never achieve a useful orbit and have to be reset back to the pad. No matter where they go, they do it without fuel shortly before or after entering orbit. I never knew that failure could be so much fun or addictive. Some of my most spectacular missions end in a fireball. It's just a good thing I have a closet full of Jeb clones.

Beautiful screenshots, @Blufor878! I have to ask, are those RCS thrusters on the booster that push them backwards? Also what is that booster-ejection-formation (I don’t know the right term), because I heard people call it something special sounding.

Edited by mmiillmm

7 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I like flying probe missions. Congratulations, @AuddieD2015. But why no screenshots? 

I am so old that my brain is petrified and I didn't think about one. :D I am going back with Bob and Jeb to plant flags (they can be targeted!) I will be sure to follow up with either debris or happy Kerbals on moons.  Someone also needs to run the experiments.  Since I had a nap and nothing much to do for a while, I figured I would kill some tourists along with Jeb for a while. LOL

After a long day at school, I got myself a nice cup of coffee and I sent a satellite to Duna. I also got hired by the company I wanted to work at for a while now so today couldn’t get any better!!! :):cool:

After almost a month away from KSP i am playing again. First thing I did was look through some saves and see what I was up to before taking a break. Dusted off making history and installed that and kronal vessel viewer. Then I devised a new lifter in about 20-30 minutes I think. It can just barely lift about 80 tons into low Kerbin orbit (100km).

R6HgEBs.png

Now I have to figure out what to do with this thing. I have almost a month until KSP2 comes out in early access.

Spoiler

qPpRNPA.png

Lahmacun I (it's just a Saturn V with a Turkish name)
TWR ~1.4 ASL.
5-Mastodon core stage, 2-Mastodon upper stage, 2-Skiff final stage.
(All thanks to engine plates)

R6HgEBs.png

SSiRJwb.png

DEFvGWG.png
Upper stage. I think I went slightly crazy with the flags here.

0t38XQx.png
The final stage detaches from the upper stage.

Po62y8d.png
The final stage, with a tiny sliver of fuel left next to the dummy payload it carried, a bunch of ore tanks strapped to a HECS2, adds up to 85 tons.

18 hours ago, AuddieD2015 said:

Since I can't seem to get a Kerbal to the moons alive, I flew a tin can probe to both moons and it went almost flawlessly. I have two probodobovines (tuna cans) parked, one on Mun and one on Minmus, both with a thermometer, pressure gauge, and antenna since I would need a live scientist to reset the goo and jr and well... :-)

So far in my learning curve, this is a monumental feat. 10% of my rockets never make it 5 km up before nose diving into the ground near KSP. 85% of them never achieve a useful orbit and have to be reset back to the pad. No matter where they go, they do it without fuel shortly before or after entering orbit. I never knew that failure could be so much fun or addictive. Some of my most spectacular missions end in a fireball. It's just a good thing I have a closet full of Jeb clones.

When I first heard about KSP, I downloaded the demo & swore I wouldn't buy the game till I could at least get something into orbit.  Took me nearly a week.  A few weeks later, when I got my first kerbal walking on Mun, I was ecstatic.  Keep trying, keep experimenting & before you know it, you'll have one of those Jeb clones planting a flag on Laythe, and Mun will be a distant memory.  

And I still occasionally misjudge & send something shooting off into the ground or into a bad orbit.

Lastly, qucksave & quickload (F5 & F9 on pc) are your best friends when learning to land on Mun.

Edited by Cavscout74

14 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

I had an idea, and I acted upon it. I didn't say it was a good one.

It looks like you are out of the atmosphere & I don't see any pieces missing after booster separation, so it couldn't have been too bad of an idea.   You've certainly beaten most of my shuttle attempts.

13 hours ago, mmiillmm said:

Beautiful screenshots, @Blufor878! I have to ask, are those RCS thrusters on the booster that push them backwards? Also what is that booster-ejection-formation (I don’t know the right term), because I heard people call it something special sounding.

Solid fuel separatrons from Bluedog Design Bureau. They're meant for Titan boosters, but I like using them for other stuff as well. As for the formation, I think your thinking of the Korolev Cross, which is what the R7/Soyuz rocket does. Mine wasn't meant to look that way, but it works.

Just now, Cavscout74 said:

It looks like you are out of the atmosphere & I don't see any pieces missing after booster separation, so it couldn't have been too bad of an idea.   You've certainly beaten most of my shuttle attempts.

Oh no you're right, it works just fine. Actually I think it has better performance during the initial liftoff from the pad than the regular shuttle stack. Just the fact that this popped into my head (though I know I can't be the first).

Did some more JNSQ careering.  I also figured out the mystery of my lost career save - I had started it in 1.11, and soon after getting a Mun landing, I ran into game breaking bugs - specifically stuff falling off whenever you tried to attach parts to a craft.  I ended up deleting all my 1.11 installs, and was experimenting with a new tech tree in 1.10, intending to try again but lost interest instead.

Tested the abort system on a newly researched Mk2 pod

bOXS9zwh.png

The Minmus Surveyor landed uneventfully

cKTPhqkh.png

That was followed by manned orbital missions to Mun & Minmus, with safe returns by both

69h1Ws1l.png   pb2feKYl.png

VN1d6Dxl.png  lyY6QCml.png

I made another Saturn V, but this time, it was an aero-SSTO (the aeroplane kind). So it can land and refuel and stuff, to bad I'm on PS4 otherwise I'd upload it :(

3 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

That was followed by manned orbital missions to Mun & Minmus, with safe returns by both

I am jealous of your Paralax btw :/