What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 2/16/2023 at 6:05 AM, Krazy1 said:

I started JNSQ and am proud to say I got Jeb to orbit with a 2 stage 30 part rocket (using Better SRB mod suggested and upgraded launch pad >20t weight). He got a bunch of science and tried to re-enter. Ha, ha, ha! No way. He's going to be up there a while. He's orbiting at 3860 m/s. Stock is about 2300 m/s. Kenetic energy is v^2 so it's 2.8x as much in JNSQ. It's like trying to come back directly from Duna and aerobrake in stock...with early tech parts. I'm going to be rolling around KSC gathering science for a while: 

This is no small achievement however and don't feel bad about it! I remember messing with JNSQ a while back and had to do a few config tweaks to get things to survive coming home. And that was on the back of about a week's try-and-retry for something that could do the ascent.

Admittedly I was bloody minded enough to make an SSTO. Which did fulfil it's purpose and get there, but it had at least as many issues coming down as it did going up :D

I sent the E-40 Impulse to Laythe.

YdFiUSe.png

• When my nuclear-powered delivery rocket first entered Jool's SOI, I set Laythe as the target and flew directly there (as opposed to setting up a parking orbit around Jool and going to Laythe).
  • Out of curiosity, I wonder how many kerbalnauts here go for the direct moon approach.

xax70yq.png

• I’m not sure this is what people mean when they use the expression going down in flames.
  • Either way, as predicted, the plane survived re-entry - but now I had to get the plane under control before it crashed in the water.

fdMYS6i.png

• A couple of things I had to do between re-entry and when I finally regained controls:
    • The blade angle was still at 0 degrees the entire trip (I didn’t change it when I mounted the plane itself to the rocket), so I had to press and hold H to adjust it before I could hope for those engines to be of any use.
    • I was nosediving at quite a concerning rate, and my attempt to pitch up wasn’t doing anything. So, I hit the reverse thrust button in order to increase the rate that my vertical velocity rose (as in got closer to zero from a negative value). Of course, I switched the engine direction back to normal before my vertical velocity hit 0 - and even then, I needed a bit more time to regain control.
  • In the end, I managed to fly in a somewhat more stable manner.

aXN3Y4Y.png

• After landing in one piece, I extended the solar panels to speed up solar power recharge. 

4 hours ago, eddiew said:

This is no small achievement however and don't feel bad about it! I remember messing with JNSQ a while back and had to do a few config tweaks to get things to survive coming home. And that was on the back of about a week's try-and-retry for something that could do the ascent.

Admittedly I was bloody minded enough to make an SSTO. Which did fulfil it's purpose and get there, but it had at least as many issues coming down as it did going up :D

Wow... SSTO is another level in JNSQ. I got more parts unlocked and I not only got Jeb and the science home, I rescued 3 other kerbonauts stranded in LKO too. I made a 6-crew rocket with 4 stages total. Like all things in KSP with 3 fins in symmetry, it has horrible yaw to roll coupling so the first 90 seconds are like riding a snake. But the 3-1 coupler and 3 Terriers worked great for 3rd stage, which takes it from 1200 to 3800 m/s with 900 m/s left in orbit. 

FTQFeY5h.jpg

Yeah... I wasn't exactly prograde when decoupling the first boosters so they smashed into the core... reverting:

Spoiler

JYjtib1.jpg

Better but the angle was too shallow... need higher AP >150 km so Terriers have time to push it:

Spoiler

Ir5TEeb.jpg

Made it. Wow you can barely see the Mun in the photo from 92 Mm away. That's the edge of Kerbin SOI in stock.

Spoiler

LPuUUyt.png

LKO rendezvous with Principia. It looks strange at  first but I like the target-centered reference frame now:

Spoiler

m20tmVv.jpg

I didn't get a reentry photo! Oops. I'll be returning the second ship tomorrow. 

I also upgraded my KSC science rover with "biome feelers" for the ones you need to touch. I can get surface samples now. It's kinda dumb... there shouldn't be this much grind at KSC. Imagine NASA digging a surface sample out of their flag pole? I suppose I could ignore it but it's right there and Stategia makes it worth more.

Spoiler

TsY8EHG.jpg

Nice view from a little probe in polar orbit

Spoiler

h88Ku8t.jpg

And a not nice view of KSC crashing...

Spoiler

646BIFg.jpg

Had a wide range of missions going on in my career the last few days.

Jeb was stuck test flying a new patrol plane

Spoiler

jPth48h.png

svuAzSG.png

bIelL2i.png

While Val got to test fly a prototype spaceplane.  Currently she only had it up to  mach 3 for a contract.  Mach 4 & 35km altitude are next.  It's performance is marginal with the panther engine but should improve whenever I get the whiplash unlocked.

54xXAcN.png

While the pilots were off flight testing, Kelrik & Ambera were up at Woomerang testing a newly developed scanning arm, along with a new rover design

jt1EwcJ.png

My Eve probes also started arriving.  The first was the Eve Pancake Lander, which ended poorly - it lost orientation, turned sideways during atmospheric entry & mostly broke up.  The tough lander can survived entry but the parachutes did not.   Surprisingly, the can absorbed most of the landing impact, allowing the contents to survive, including the probe core and several science experiments.  But with no antennas and no power source, it is just an expensive piece of debris on the surface.

5tutGNL.png

Oh, yeah, the floats for ocean landings survived as well.

7WraAaj.png

The Verona-Formalhaut probe/lander combo faired better, with the Formalhaut making it through a hot but survivable entry and safely landing

Yl3Yczj.png

I did have to wait for dawn to start sending back science to preserve battery life.

Yh1U1uM.png

Edited by Cavscout74

Val took the CF-01A Falcon up to 65km and circularized at that altitude (I didn't want to get ahead of my aircraft contracts) before returning to land safely at the Desert space center runway

vbmg4gw.png

I actually overshot DSC and had to fly back about 150km, landing with a very small fuel reserve

NYzTdTA.png

Then KSP struck again, and at this point I'm done with 1.12.  If I play any more KSP at all, I'll go back to my old 1.8 save.  Repeatedly had rover wheels crash into terrain when switching back to this rover or quickloading to go back to before I switched away.  After half a dozen times, my patience is gone.

LnH0Oqe.png

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

at this point I'm done with 1.12

I am (instinctively) still on 1.11.2.  (I think there was nothing in 1.12 I wanted, nor that would justify the trouble of upgrading my Orbit world.)  "Change is good!", but change can also be bad.  :)

Discovered how easy it is to just... add scatterer configs to my planets and did it for the Estrela Dobre system! I will not use it on other systems that arent at least nearly complete (like.. one or two missing vacuum bodies or something), and just... I will make sure it looks good with stock atmorim n stuff before applying scatterer.
Also, apparently modulemanager spits out nyan cats when its national cat day in japan, which got me good thinking that my game was dying for almost an hour lol.
Oh and I added scatterer config to Tumidam (already worked on it a lot) and.. yea its a puffy boi

IKNO6Ne.png

the effect extends about 2400km.. which will be around its final atmosphere height

also, I dove to 50km above the surface and wow everything is merging into each other,
3SuQIvD.png

Oh and I also made a short video of orbiting Hados and Ichor

Ichor's atmosphere barely extends higher than its terrain by about 2km. the atmosphere is only 20km thick, so it is pooled into certain parts of the planet. I may make Anos a bit more titan-like, very foggy n stuff.

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

It was over the past few days but I put 9 comms satellites in orbit around Kerbin, Mun, and Minmos.  If you put them high enough, evenly spaced is not a problem, which is a good thing because isosceles was totally my outcome. I think I will use 4 over Duna to spread that out into a trapezoid.  heh

Recreating 096 (short film) in KSP

Currently working on building the main two sets of the first five minutes: the interrogation cell and 096's Stage II containment. Does anyone know how to make it look like the stage I containment (basically a big block of wings) can explode open without killing the Kerbal playing 096?

23 minutes ago, Akagi said:

Recreating 096 (short film) in KSP

Currently working on building the main two sets of the first five minutes: the interrogation cell and 096's Stage II containment. Does anyone know how to make it look like the stage I containment (basically a big block of wings) can explode open without killing the Kerbal playing 096?

Maybe have like a spark (or similar small thruster), which you attach by the nozzle (so that they will thrust into it when activated) to some fuel tank (like the Oscar-B). Attach all the wing segments to said fuel tank. Then move the wing segments (or whatever you're using) to their positions, and make sure they don't clip into each other. Then add one fuel tank to each spark. To make the thing explode, set the throttle to max and fire the spark! Normally the fuel tank should explode, releasing all the wing segments.

Or just use decouplers.

Today I tried to go as low as possible without dying.

waterClose_05.png

This is the plane I'm using. The smoke trails are from fireworks (idea from @HB Stratos' Thunderbird Aerobatic Smoke, https://kerbalx.com/HB_Stratos/Thunderbird-Aerobatic-Smoke).

waterClose_06.png

We're there!

waterClose_09.png

That's the lowest I could go, not bad at all... At least Jeb is happy :)

waterClose_13.png

Another pass...

waterClose_15.png

Going back home.

waterClose_20.png

aaaah

waterClose_21.png

waterClose_23.png

At least Jeb survived :P

Edited by Nazalassa
Fixed image tags

20 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Maybe have like a spark (or similar small thruster), which you attach by the nozzle (so that they will thrust into it when activated) to some fuel tank (like the Oscar-B). Attach all the wing segments to said fuel tank. Then move the wing segments (or whatever you're using) to their positions, and make sure they don't clip into each other. Then add one fuel tank to each spark. To make the thing explode, set the throttle to max and fire the spark! Normally the fuel tank should explode, releasing all the wing segments.

Or just use decouplers.

I believe this would work if you only needed a small hole, too? There are going to be a lot of holes in the film.

1 minute ago, Akagi said:

I believe this would work if you only needed a small hole, too? There are going to be a lot of holes in the film.

Tes it could... I mean if you have something that will act as a base (that won't move) then you can attach a separator to it, offset it somewhere where you won't see it, then build the stage I containment with holes in it, then attach whatever will fill the holes to the separator and offset them to their final positions. I recommand several separator/panel combinations so that you can have the panels fall each after another.

Also I suggest using separators as radially attached stuff will not decouple from a decoupler (but it will from a separator).

7 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

That is the lowest anyone could go and still be an airplane.  Nicely done!

I took it a little safer, jumping back to my 1.8 career and finally got around to flying @swjr-swis's Blackwood on a speed run from DSC to KSC.  I did make a few little tweaks to personalize it, but the basic airframe remained the same.  Even with four external tanks, I had to cut burners halfway through the trip to make sure I would make it.  Very fun plane to fly, both responsive when needed yet still stable to fly.   I was also just in time for my Laythe station to arrive as well, now I just need the crew to arrive.  Between starting a few different careers and breaks from KSP, I haven't landed on Laythe in years, so I'm looking forward to it.

lCFg6A6.png

l3pvzPC.png

Edited by Cavscout74

15 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

~I may make Anos a bit more titan-like, very foggy n stuff.~

If it's a Titan Anos I hope it's not too windy!

7 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

waterClose_09.png

That's incredible!

Is that with a yoke or the keyboard?

5 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I took it a little safer, jumping back to my 1.8 career and finally got around to flying @swjr-swis's Blackwood on a speed run from DSC to KSC.  I did make a few little tweaks to personalize it, but the basic airframe remained the same.  Even with four external tanks, I had to cut burners halfway through the trip to make sure I would make it.  Very fun plane to fly, both responsive when needed yet still stable to fly.

Always happy to see pilots enjoying my planes (or derivatives thereof!).

I was a bit surprised at your findings that you needed any extra fuel tanks at all, considering that I've circumnavigated Kerbin with the fixed-wing original, let alone on a much shorter DSC-KSC run. Made me wonder if there's a marked difference in fuel consumption between 1.3.1 and later versions. Or if it was caused by the extra drag of the variable-sweep redesign of the Mk2.

So I went and did the DSC-KSC trip at full afterburner blast in 1.12.4, with the MK2 since that's the draggier, slower, and fuel-hungrier version of the two:

9Z5V6gO.png

Departing from DSC with the default amount of 950 units LF in the tanks. Engines set to wet mode from the start, no expenses -or fuel- spared.

Spoiler

iDEd3f6.png

Flight profile was to climb as rapidly as possible to the 20-21 km cruising altitude and then beeline for the KSC. Some time and absolute top cruising speed is lost, yes, but I find it is well worth it even on a speedrun, with maybe the exception of very short trips.

0r2x2ei.png

Jeb even took the time to play with the variable-sweep configuration, because why not.

jYQI8TX.png

KSC in sight, Jeb decided to throw caution to the wind (and mute the engineering team) and dive full bore towards the runway.

bSvGdDC.png

Perhaps the engineering team had reason to warn him. Kraken-flapping took the rotors, wings, and one of the engines. Oops.

3GNAOeb.png

Non-plussed as ever, heck even with a smile, Jeb continues his approach as if this were business as usual. (It usually is for him.)

zgB6o4z.png

Even sans main lifting surfaces this plane proved quite easy to set down gently.

p72kkJs.png

And this is 19m18s later on the KSC tarmac. Flown at full throttle wet mode, cruising at mach 2.7+ and peaking in dive at mach 2.9. Still 624 units LF left. And it was by no means an ideal run - see the spoiler for some flight details.

My SPH engineers respectfully but categorically conclude that whatever caused the high fuel consumption was not due to the original plane design... :wink:

Edited by swjr-swis