What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Bj1UTut.jpg

Completed a Duna Elcano. With a mobile base lifted out of Kiith Gaalsien's worst nightmares. Driving (including quicksaving, waypoint/stop marking, and Science gathering pit stops and Duna night time breaks) for 9 (Kerbal) days  33 minutes 26 seconds as best as I could calculate and log, otherwise under 3 Duna sols. 

Never again. Never fricking again. Yeah, I said that after the Mun Elcano years ago. Okay, evidence compilation time for the challenge thread. Should be easy enough after that pain-in-the-S road trip. 

23 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

Bj1UTut.jpg

Completed a Duna Elcano. With a mobile base lifted out of Kiith Gaalsien's worst nightmares. Driving (including quicksaving, waypoint/stop marking, and Science gathering pit stops and Duna night time breaks) for 9 (Kerbal) days  33 minutes 26 seconds as best as I could calculate and log, otherwise under 3 Duna sols. 

Never again. Never fricking again. Yeah, I said that after the Mun Elcano years ago. Okay, evidence compilation time for the challenge thread. Should be easy enough after that pain-in-the-S road trip. 

Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome.

I did a trip to Duna and back with my own version of the Starship concept, which works differently, cause it flies a bit.
This was also the chance to make a ship with TURD (Texture Unlimited + Recolor Depot).
I do believe you will enjoy nice images, the video was made to please our eyes on purpose :) 

Returned my Kerbals I brought to Duna a couple months ago. They have been there for about 2 kerbal years so I decided to bring them home.

On Duna:

20210426083244-1.jpg

Takeoff:

20210426083411-1.jpg

Going to orbit:

20210426083659-1.jpg

Transfer Burn:

20210426084721-1.jpg

Approaching Kerbin:

20210426085357-1.jpg

Entering atmosphere:

20210426085423-1.jpg

Splash down(for some reason water is transparent here:

20210426085626-1.jpg

Hmm... I once got a contract in career where I needed to rescue a part from a low orbit around the sun. It orbited the sun at half the distance of MOHO. Sooo yep I cancelled that one as I had no idea how to bring a craft to low sun orbit, collect a part, and have enough fuel to get back to kerbin and reenter with the part lol

4 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

Hmm... I once got a contract in career where I needed to rescue a part from a low orbit around the sun. It orbited the sun at half the distance of MOHO. Sooo yep I cancelled that one as I had no idea how to bring a craft to low sun orbit, collect a part, and have enough fuel to get back to kerbin and reenter with the part lol

Lots of radiators, and gravity sling shots.

SSTO to orbit:

20210426154919-1.jpg

20210426155256-1.jpg

In orbit:

20210426155742-1.jpg

20210426155847-1.jpg

Coming Back down:

20210426155914-1.jpg20210426160105-1.jpg

Landing, taxing and parking:

20210426160448-1.jpg

20210426160523-1.jpg

20210426160628-1.jpg

20210426160650-1.jpg

Currently planning on a longer range version able to go farther (Mun, Minimus or possibly interplanetary) and carry more kerbals (this one only carriers one).

Well.. I've had a little break from playing KSP because of real life stuff. But now most of the exams are over, I can finally get back to playing!

So, after not playing for so long I decided to make a plane (doesn't everyone do that?)

mlZnIsI.png

0WZm12o.png

PEXyjVk.png

It was a flop (literally). Next thing I knew, the whole plane flipped over on its belly. Not good.

So, keeping along with the plane shenanigans, I decided to do a routine crew rotation.

YUOisvu.png

QJyN5gI.png

cZOLzxZ.png

Ytmkuxu.png

8TN8dKb.png

After not playing for a month (mostly playing some Minecraft), I wasn't very used to the controls anymore, and I seemed to have forgotten how to fly this with all its quirks and stuff. And so it started flipping out.

Xzd91gD.png

XP24KlW.png

In a panic, I smashed the abort button (well, I clicked it). 

JKHcNA7.png

vKLt80a.png

AlnfH39.png

We had lost much of our airspeed, and we weren't flying. We were stalling falling with style.

NLovHXu.png

Or without style. You decide.

jCBmb0x.png

Somehow miraculously, the 2 crew survived, but not poor Halpond, the pilot. Luckily I had the power of F5 and F9, but boy, that wasn't a very good start from a long hiatus, eh? 

Kind of a long video but this is a space plane return from space station with glide to landing.  I didn't manage my electric charge during time warp so ended up flying re-entry without reaction wheel help.  I had been wanting to test that anyway.  I had tested this craft without reaction wheel on ascent and it did very well.  I'm liking this design.

Spoiler

Spoiler

akXjwLG.png

Edited by Joker58th

Hey all.

Today Jeb and Bob left Duna to rendez-vous with Bill and Val in orbit.

lgiWPcV.png

Once back on Kerbin the usual suspects flew an experimental aircraft around the patch.

pd29s4K.png

Spoiler

z1X7zWr.png

fHB8hdx.png

py1LhhF.png

XWBJTLL.png

IlYnC8A.png

The mono-Wheel arrangement that Bill built didn't have any brakes so it didn't end well for the prototype.

The Kerbals were fine and they had some ice-cream.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

I went out of my usual building and had a heap of fun making this traction engine.  Just added a whole bunch of action groups this evening that mimic the startup cycle and added a coal box at the back.  Smoke comes out of the stack, there is a fire in the boiler, the flywheel and the governor spin and the steering wheel tracks with the turning of the front wheels.

https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Rattler-Traction-Engine

49VbUjS.png

2JFCs24.png

nkzO368.png

WFKOztQ.png

Edited by Klapaucius

Got a few more Pioneer comm relays into orbit today - switched to using a complete Atlas-Agena, which substantially increased the orbital altitudes I could reach

The first one used an Agena engine on a small fuel tank, and was a big improvement over previous launches that ended up spinning out of control

ZREjqDRh.png?1

Then I realized "hey, why don't you just use the complete Agena like it was meant to be used"   That one was placed in a large polar orbit

UHYlYSph.png?1

VNOewHUh.png?1

The next one became my first (in this save) Mun orbiter

kCBHZHAh.png?1

In between satellite launches, Jeb, Val & Bill all got their first orbital flights in.  Jeb was first, with a short 2-orbit trip in the basic Atlas-Moho

Ap03XMth.png?1

kb5Mst3h.png?1

View from the cockpit during splashdown

N2v6Ht1h.png?1

Val rode the upgraded Atlas-Mohogena (Moho-Agena) and spent 4 hours in orbit before the batteries started running low & she returned.

ccaCrWfh.png?1

xO5kETZh.png?1

Bill took up an improved Mohogena with solar panels and is planning to spend a full day in orbit

sO7VqW1h.png?1

Bill's first sunrise in orbit

12lQZNTh.png?1

11 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey all.

Today Jeb and Bob left Duna to rendez-vous with Bill and Val in orbit.

lgiWPcV.png

Once back on Kerbin the usual suspects flew an experimental aircraft around the patch.

pd29s4K.png

Reveal hidden contents

z1X7zWr.png

fHB8hdx.png

py1LhhF.png

XWBJTLL.png

IlYnC8A.png

The mono-Wheel arrangement that Bill built didn't have any brakes so it didn't end well for the prototype.

The Kerbals were fine and they had some ice-cream.

ME

You could almost compete in the to the island and back in fastest time least parts challenge.

8 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I went out of my usual building and had a heap of fun making this traction engine.  Just added a whole bunch of action groups this evening that mimic the startup cycle and added a coal box at the back.  Smoke comes out of the stack, there is a fire in the boiler, the flywheel and the governor spin and the steering wheel tracks with the turning of the engine.

https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Rattler-Traction-Engine

49VbUjS.png

2JFCs24.png

nkzO368.png

WFKOztQ.png

Cool craftmanship.

2 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

You could almost compete in the to the island and back in fastest time least parts challenge.

Thanks, but only almost.

I tried flying straight to the island and they ran out of go-go juice. Cute but high drag.

Plus it as no brakes. So more fuel+parachute...

I then tried a segway arrangement that fell on its nose when braking from a touchdown. And proceeded to explode to Jeb's satisfaction.

Presently working on a conventional trike but the part count is getting stupid for my compu-tater©.

My graphic card can't handle seeing the ground.....Makes flying difficult at best. When launching a rocket I tilt the camera to see only sky.

I'll keep playing with it.

ME

3 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Thanks, but only almost.

I tried flying straight to the island and they ran out of go-go juice. Cute but high drag.

Plus it as no brakes. So more fuel+parachute...

I then tried a segway arrangement that fell on its nose when braking from a touchdown. And proceeded to explode to Jeb's satisfaction.

Presently working on a conventional trike but the part count is getting stupid for my compu-tater©.

My graphic card can't handle seeing the ground.....Makes flying difficult at best. When launching a rocket I tilt the camera to see only sky.

I'll keep playing with it.

ME

1 of the latest just uses a girder for an undercarriage.

Was flying up from the surface of the Mun to return to the transfer vehicle from the lander, and I had Jeb eva over with the science to simplify the docking procedure when the kraken attacked.  Val died immediately, and Bob died on impact, as there was only enough fuel to save one, so Bill survived, but the transfer vessel was now stranded without fuel around the Mun, so a fuel transfer mission was sent up to get them home.  Afterwards, a new mission to the Mun was sent to place memorials for the fallen.

Added extension to SSIII, the new part on the left (fuel tank and two crew compartments) is new:

20210427173543-1.jpg

If you have any ideas for more extensions, I'm open to Ideas.

Also now that I notice this, It made no sense for me to dock the extra part to the side with the fuel tank than the part with the crew compartment (on the right).