What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

49 minutes ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Today, I built a megaton sized..... rocket

Very, very impressive.

One thing I'm wondering about, though, is whether the benchmarking may have been affected by the sheer simplicity of the rocket design. Most designs flex a bit, and that plays havoc with the rigid-body physics of KSP. However, your design had excellent symmetry, with each segment having exactly the same mass and exactly the same thrust: any flexing at joints was quite minor and didn't need much time to solve.

My 10% career continues- two probes headed to the Mun, one flew past then crashed into Kerbin (‘s atmosphere and burnt up) and the other flew past, captured into orbit and then crashed into the Mun. Science was gained from both as well as some bonuses for world firsts and completing parts of a contract, now all that’s left is a proper Mun and back return mission that actually survives. Getting enough science with 10% gains is pretty difficult so I launched a couple of ballistic missiles with some science gear and Val stuck on top from Woomerang to the northern ice shelf and ice caps too, along with the usual scraping up science from the launch sites and adjacent biomes with each new experiment.

Started a fresh "Bureaucracy" career game. So time to build some old style planes  KerbalX - Caelum

Jeb on first flight

RiWC3Tw.png

Out over the sea where a crash will meet something less... solid
a3mgMmG.png

A little bank turn... Hey the wings didn't fall off!

asnKx93.png

And it's home safely just as the sun goes down... That means a trip to The Outpost for a couple of pints before tomorrow's mission.

Oj72Mw3.png

Edited by Caerfinon
Added KerbalX link

The Duna transfer window in my career save is finally starting to open, so it was time to finalize some designs in the simulator and start sending them out.

First to arrive will be a survey sat for Duna (an identical one will show up later in the fleet for Ike):

3BmQgsu.png

It does orbital science and survey, and functions as a close range relay, bouncing signals to the big RA-100 relay sat that will be put in a molinya orbit over the pole.

Next will be a combination orbiter/lander for Ike:

crca3KA.png

JZTHQ52.png

It splits in the middle, the fuel tanks and upper section turning into an orbiter, while the lower part with the relay antenna and survey instruments will be dropped onto the Duna side of the moon, turning Ike into an enormous geo-synch comm sat, and hopefully finding some easily extracted ore to refuel the follow-on manned mission.

Each of Duna's polar regions will get a full featured lander/rover combination, equipped with all the surface science Kerbalkind can invent:

3SHVHCf.png

2HI6cZs.png

VwECThB.png

zSMHnUa.png

And some cheap and cheerful scout rovers will be scattered across the lower latitudes to search for good landing spots for the away teams:

XeXOxv6.png

tyniPXZ.png

0WZu9NG.png

Kos

After a small break on KSP.

i've decided to play KSP again.

and so, i decided to Launch a Venera 9 Mission(well,not exactly,but well,at least it's a Venera):

Spoiler

065.png

066.png

067.png

a couple of seconds later,i've realized that the 1st Stage Engines Can't gimbal(Except stage 2 and 3)

This made the rocket to fly in a really unstable way.

And then i thought that it whould just crash...

But no. It didn't

068.png

The First stage's finally depleted it's fuel,and since the stage 2 can Gimbal, i finally managed to safely orientate the rocket and finally made it into orbit.

069.png

070.png

071.png

072.png

073.png

074.png

075.png

076.png

077.png

078.png

079.png

080.png

081.png

082.png

083.png

084.png

085.png

086.png

087.png

088.png

089.png

090.png

091.png

092.png

093.png

094.png

095.png

096.png

097.png

098.png

ok, Venera Orbiter and Venera Lander has been decoupled,now i will select the lander.

099.png

oh wait.

wrong piece of junk.

100.png

there we go.

101.png

102.png

103.png

104.png

105.png

mmmmmm....

not bad!

106.png

at least Eve didn't destro-

107.png

*kaboom*

yed...

m-my Venera's...

Lander...

oh well, things like this always happens(to me).:/

108.png

109.png

111.png

112.png

113.png

114.png

115.png

116.png

After the Incident.

I actually have to think about a new unplanned mission extension,then, i've found out that the orbiter still has fuel to flyby Gilly,or at least into an orbit on it.

So,i decided to... Put it into a Low Gilly Orbit!

117.png

118.png

119.png

120.png

123.png

124.png

125.png

jeez... Looks like Eve Doesn't like my Venera's Landers...

Small first steps towards space (with marvelously coloured sounding rockets).

mILBe2R.png

3qUsldK.png

BffnYlt.png

sJtYRt2.png

And lets not forget the ground game. Bill and Bob head out in the utility truck to field test experiments around the KSC
HomlPwo.png

After a hard day's data collection and in the spirit of "For All Kerbalkind", Bill and Bob end their mission at the local...
v2kezwq.png

Edited by Caerfinon
added ground science mission

10% career successes- first a probe, then a Kerbal landed on the surface of the Mun following a few probe flyby and return missions. The probe was there to stay, but fortunately for Val her lander had the fuel to get back home- even if I over-timewarped and ended up going pointy end forward at 40km on a Munar return trajectory- with 120% re-entry heating too! SAS to retrograde and frantic spacebar smashing meant Val survived and returned on the next pass, bringing some juicy science and smelling faintly of burnt hair after the full force of re-entry came blasting in the window...

Started off with some adjustments to my CF-02 Cobra, eliminating the ground-looping issues.  Also did some stall testing - power off with gear & flaps down, it stalls right at 30 m/s.  For power-on stalls, well, it's TWR is >1 so that wasn't really happening.  Maybe a vertical climb up until the engine starts losing significant power.

kEHvm9yh.png

Or7HCDgh.png

Then it was time for a test flight of the crewed Mun orbiter.  The first try ended up 9 m/s short of completing the return to Kerbin maneuver so a quick revert & redesign (still haven't started career, just testing designs & tweaking the tech tree) was called for.  The improved version got back to Kerbin with nearly 400 m/s dV remaining, allowing for a final deceleration burn just before reentry.   Somehow in the process Jeb disappeared - he wasn't on EVA, wasn't showing up in the tracking station, wasn't even listed in the astronaut complex (not even as KIA initially).   After the mission, he showed up on the KIA list - apparently when he tried to reenter the capsule after an EVA, he was krakened into solar orbit & died.   Had to do a little text editing to fix that.

Initial version:

fmiwJsPh.png

Improved version with larger SRB & stretched radial fuel tanks

lEzIUTFh.png

Booster separation with Mun in the background:

JgrcCv5h.png

Mun transfer

o97nWZOh.png

Mun arrival - entered a ~100km circular orbit, stepped down to a 50km orbit to simulate rendezvous with a lander, then departed for home from the 50 km orbit

UyhSsaGh.png

fjHk0vWh.png

GkMLCQSh.png

zMKktxMh.png

Garnet 8, an orbital telescope platform, taking high resolution imagery of the Mun.

CP2svNc.jpg

Selene 5 Lander making a nighttime transfer burn.

90KyUDs.jpg

Staging event during an unmanned demonstration flight of the Amity crew vehicle.

ZXWpUkN.jpg

I take A LOT of screenshots, mostly because I enjoy paging through them when I don't have time to play. I tried throwing some of the ones from this week into a video as an experiment:

Edited by BadOaks

I made my longest-range SSTO yet. It can do a round trip to Laythe's ocean surface without refueling, and has enough fuel that it doesn't even need to aerocapture on return to KSC. She has about 6000 m/s vacuum dV upon reaching 100 km Kerbin orbit. Carries a crew of two and a small external (underslung) payload.

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Billbo

aRka718.png

Edited by Guest

Multam in Parvo  - Early game mission for an uncrewed launch to pass the Karmen line...  Just a simple probe.

E0RsnK7.png

Launches for the heavens
ESKjsDK.png

And reaches 471 kms height (and lost all the fins due to extreme heat). This little guy packed a punch!
eyWPTXr.png

Sadly, the probe burned up on re-entry (not shown, still too soon :cry:).
Now, if I could only steer the thing...

Moving an rover on Minmus, contract completed. 
laMrVGih.png
It was tumbling while passing the marker and disintegrated a bit later. 
The real weird thing was that it was nothing wrong with the rover at all, that is until I moved it :) 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:21 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey all.

Today Valentina led a multi-species voyage of discovery to Minmus.

For all Sentient Kinds.

KBDEQqe.png

ME

is it just me or are the MLP kerbals the most cursed things i have ever seen?

20 minutes ago, Wizard Kerbal said:

37 minute

Very likely you already know this, too, but since I discovered it very late, for anyone else who doesn't know: Shift-Period increases 'physics' warp, even in space, allowing engines to keep firing and netting up to a 4x speed-up in time progression.

Congratulations on your 'catch'!  If it's not at least a Size E, you should throw it back.  :)

Edited by Hotel26

1 minute ago, Hotel26 said:

Very likely you already know this, too, but since I discovered it very late, for anyone else who doesn't know: Shift-Period increases 'physics' warp, even in space, allowing engines to keep firing and netting up to a 4x speed-up in time progression.

On console, if you exit warp too quick it stops you from warping again. So yeah!

Usually I wait 5 seconds before doing anything else, but I over-warped a bit and had to immediately burn.

And If I leave the console alone for 2 minutes, it pauses the game. Here's my solution: 

qA9PlLT.jpg

It keeps the camera moving

WAIT NO ITS GONNA BE AN ENTIRE HOUR BECAUSE THE IN-GAME TIME IS 3x SLOWER THAN IRL

Edited by Wizard Kerbal