What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just did the Shuttle Challenge 2A and 2B. 2B is tough. Landing on the runway with a 40t payload is unforgiving.

11 hours ago, Beamer said:

It has a problem though. It only has 4 drills which is not nearly enough to keep the 4 refineries going

That's quite an assembly you've got there. I usually use 3 to 4 big drills per big converter. 4 is better now that I'm playing Moderate career with 0.8 resources available. 

12 hours ago, Beamer said:

I'll also need to have 4 additional solar panels (in sunlight) to power all that

Or enough fuel cells. My newer designs don't bother with solar panels... it's more efficient but I need the fuel cells to harvest at night anyway. I made a spreadsheet to calculate the fuel cells needed. I suppose I'm not the only one.

12 hours ago, Beamer said:

so I could go the easy way and just strap all those things to the side of a tank, add an engine and probe core, land it close and wrestle with the camera and alignment controls in construction mode

I would consider launching the existing rig on Gilly into orbit, then dock the 2 assemblies in space and land the whole contraption together. Just bring 2 cans of beans.

17 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

How can I embed an Imgur album directly here?

You can't, been broken for years now. Other sites can still embed albums to this day, so it's not a technical impossibility, but for some reason this particular forum can't do it.

6 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

That's quite an assembly you've got there. I usually use 3 to 4 big drills per big converter. 4 is better now that I'm playing Moderate career with 0.8 resources available. 

Or enough fuel cells. My newer designs don't bother with solar panels... it's more efficient but I need the fuel cells to harvest at night anyway. I made a spreadsheet to calculate the fuel cells needed. I suppose I'm not the only one.

I would consider launching the existing rig on Gilly into orbit, then dock the 2 assemblies in space and land the whole contraption together. Just bring 2 cans of beans.

I have 4 fuel cell arrays on it at the moment, I may look for a way to add a bunch more but I cannot make the 'base' of the extension much higher or the original drills and the pistons won't be able to reach the ground anymore, so space is limited. Also, I have bad experiences with hinges, they often get stuck when unfolding even when launchpad tests worked fine, so I don't want to attach too much to the moving parts. Perhaps I'll go the in-the-field construction way for the fuel cells, there's room for about 8-12 of them under the top platform.

As for assembling in space, I'm worried about the strength of it all and how it would behave under acceleration once unfolded. It would probably stay in one piece but it would be a very wobbly construction, making it hard to control. Also I believe (perhaps wrongly) that auto-strutting is one of the things that interferes with the hinges operating properly, so I don't want to use that. The gravity at Gilly being so forgiving, it's all fairly easy to move around on the surface anyway, and that way I only have to unfold it once it's properly landed and secured to the ground anchor, reducing the chance of pieces being knocked off.

Started assembly of an interstellar ship, this time from a functional launch system that doesn't break itself apart for seemingly no reason. Forgot to upload pics, and I can't upload them now, but I'll make sure to do it later. So far, just the core module is in orbit, with the engine module built and ready to launch; all that's left is the hexagonal-symmetry tanks, likely to be life support and monopropellent, and the classic ring habitats and long truss structure on the front, possibly with more fusionpellet storage, since the Kerbstein drive isn't very efficient, and a large communications system to relay the arrival. The destination is the Vulture system, and after that, the plan is to send a series of supply ships geared toward setting up a colony; after that's all complete, the colony ship itself will be sent.

Also, might anyone have an idea of how much DV I'm going to need to get to the system? I'm trying to avoid using FTL tech here.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, Krazy1 said:

How can I embed an Imgur album directly here? I got this

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/VH4FLPG"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/VH4FLPG">14 crew SSTO </a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

but then what? I thought I saw that before

The way I do imgur is click the 'Insert image from URL' button, paste the imgur URL and, then, manually type the .jpg at the end.

I only upload single pictures. I don't know if it'll work for full albums.

Kerb24

I tried to play KSP today. For some reason I only got 1 FPS, making it impossible to do anything.

Sounds like my bad luck with computers got transferred to you. My graphics card took a #2 and gave me 1 FPS.

Edited by Mahnarch
I don't read good...

20 minutes ago, Mahnarch said:

The way I do imgur is click the 'Insert image from URL' button, paste the imgur URL and, then, manually type the .jpg at the end.

I only upload single pictures. I don't know if it'll work for full albums.

I either post links to Imgur galleries I make or on the individual images click Copy on Direct Link to get something to add to a post that embeds the image.

Technically it wasn't today, or in KSP, but the day before yesterday I had, for the first time (that I remember) a dream about KSP. It was weird because I've had dreams about Minecraft and Eve Online before but hadn't dreamed about KSP despite playing it more than either of those two.

Created 3 new companies for Kar Wars.

AAI: Akagi Aerospace Industries, the normal side.

STSSL: Sakura Trans-Space Shipping Lines, the bit that hauls oversized stuff to Jool.

ALASWS: Azur Lane Alliance Space Warfare Society, the bit that shoots down the Kommunist/Koviet satellites, etc.

They're all Kappa Empire, my made-up Kerbalized version of Japan during WWII

I took a small break from the Historical Space Race challenge (shameless plug!) to focus on finishing out some science I need to get some parts so I can start building a space station in my career game.  So I sent a rocket to Gilly to get some science, primarily because it's one of the few bodies I've never landed on in the game before, and I thought "Hey, it's close, I should be able to do this with minimal dV".  Built a rocket, sent a crew of 3 to Gilly, and dropped the lander on the surface of the rock.  Oh my dear lord did that take a long time.  It seems that gravity on Gilly is more of a guideline than an actual rule, isn't it?  Take one step...watch your Kerbal jump and go flying far away from the lander.  Turn around and take a step...and watch your Kerbal go flying over the lander.  Wow was that painful.  And slow.  But I was finally able to get off that asteroid and get back to Kerbin with some dV to spare and all that sweet, tasty science.  Opened up 2 nodes (Meta-Materials, Very Heavy Rocketry), so now I can start working on a permanent home for all of those Kerbals that keep getting stuck in LKO that I gotta go retrieve.

I've done a lot of 'housekeeping' the past few days. I opened up my new orbital parking lot. It filled up nicely with 3 tourist transporters, my class E asteroid catcher and a generic tug-with-grabby-claw-thingy for orbital cleaning duties:

YRUiksee_o.jpg

I flew my new "KerTank!" orbital station design to Minmus to replace the old Minmus station, which was the very first refueling station I launched in this career game. We all know what's happening here, fluid exchange!

XnHAWWFo_o.jpg

I undocked all the ships first to reduce the chance of Kraken effects. Here's the final picture with the new station in place. Note that the engines and 2.5m-Mk3 adapters at the bottom will eventually be removed, but I attached the fireworks for the grand opening to them and I still need to program the KAL controller for a nice fireworks show, so that will have to wait a while:

7Lwezn68_o.jpg

Due to its historical significance, unlike NASA I didn't waste time thinking what to do with the old station, and rather than deorbiting and crashing it I sent it to a mothball orbit at 500km over Minmus where it will serve as tourist attraction. Here it goes off on its final voyage:

lFxhD6e0_o.jpg

With the shiny new station in place I decided it called for a nice shiny new STO tanker to replace that orange monstrosity poking out of my new station. That tanker is so old it only has pro/retrograde hold support even though I completed my science tree a long time ago. So I made a nice new one based on the S3 tank with a Sr port for docking to the station:

KEaykUwd_o.jpg

Again, historical significance (and the fact that the poodle engines means landing on Kerbin for a little bit of scrap value just won't work) made me decide to open up a museum site on Minmus near my colony there. Here's Raylong, one of the permanent residents of Minmus City and a valued employee of the local Jeb's Junkyard, taking a stroll along the freshly created tourist attractions:

cTXTEe7X_o.jpg

Aside from the tanker, I also placed my first asteroid capture ship here, it served its primary purpose of grabbing and redirecting asteroids well, but it turned out to be a horrible Kraken lure whenever I docked it to anything with the regular docking port, which is placed at the center of the ring of nuclear engines. Aside from that it has simply been superseded by better technology in my later ship designs:

CTXUGwa7_o.jpg

Finally, I created a new unified lander design, the KerbHerder 21Kvac. This is meant to server as a lander for up to 21 Kerbals that it capable of landing on any stock body without atmosphere except Tylo. If it performs satisfactory I will eventually station one of these at all of my orbital stations to assist in tourist operations. For its maiden voyage I stuffed my latest 15 rescues inside for a quick hop to Kerbolar orbit and a team-building flag planting activity on Mun and Minmus:

bprTG2vZ_o.jpg

With all of that out of the way, I can now fully focus on my Pol/Bop resource scouting mission that entered the Jool system some weeks ago and is up for its retro-burn in a few days.

I got a mission to rescue Tamara Kermin from the surface of the Mun and I just happened to have a literal ton of tourists who wanted to fly by the Mun so, I launched this monstrosity (a 'Mahn-strosity', if you will):

zhJ8dx5.png

Bottom half tourists. Top half lander.

However(!), when I landed on Mun I found out Tamara and her craft were caught in a localized event horizon.

Very local.

xCKCkcs.png

So, I scratched that and sent up another lander with a tourist who, also, wanted to land near there and, guess what?

Tamara's glitch has fixed itself.

Now, she's just chilling on Mun until I arrive with a full ship.

jqre1vP.png

I think I'm going to make her hang onto the ladder and I'll rendezvous a ship up in LKO to meet her.

Edited by Mahnarch
Acronyms is hard

After suffering 1 FPS for a few days, I decided to verify my game files, and that may have fixed it. At least the main menu isn't lagging anymore. I will check if the rest of the game is back to normal FPS tomorrow. 

Woooo yeah baby! Now that's what I'd been waiting for! That's what it's all about!

Spoiler

Dle3ZIx.jpg

GPU is on, which mean KSP again!

I'm borderline nervous going on about it, because actually getting the card was kinda sketchy (Chinese TPS on newegg don't have the best reputation), but drivers respond correctly and direct benchmarks yield appropriate results.

EDIT:

Man, it runs REALLY well!
nvzU1Mi.jpg
DKSDRZ9.jpg

I know this is barely heavier than two farts on Gilly, but I DID crank up every visual and graphical settings I could to max, not to mention I'm not running the game at 1920x1080 anymore!

Edited by Axelord FTW

I made a multirole aircraft. It's pretty obvious what I used as inspiration. Before anyone asks, no; it unfortunately does not have EMLs or ADMMs, as nobody else has made them and I can't be bothered to do so myself because then I'll get carried away and make a mod containing every Ace Combat weapon other mods don't have already, and I just know it'll never get finished and I'll just end up disappointing people the allure of ADMMs has taken over and I'm gonna do it. Out of these three, it has the greatest maneuverability, though the Wyvern is a little buggy so I don't actually know what it's capable of right now. Has two GAU-22s and two daul and five single hardpoints.

hGqn41g.pngQ8FaSwu.pngOMDiw01.pngong9uZ3.png

It can carry nine A2A missiles, 5 A2A missiles and two 5000 kg bombs, or three A2A missiles and four 12,000 lb bombs. Yes, it really can lift that much. It has an insane payload capacity for its size. Here's the proof:

W2o3dqu.png

EDIT: how in the-

evsq3Hu.png

EDIT #2: I made another. Has a very powerful TLS with insane EC consumption (500/sec) and way too many A2A missiles. A few seconds of contact with another aircraft using the TLS can destroy or incapacitate the target, though the low field of fire (15 degrees) makes it a little difficult to aim. Has one GAU-22 and eight single, dual, or quad hardpoints.

otr95iF.pngBct7VSB.png

EDIT #3: One more :) As it doesn't actually carry any ordinance externally, I need to find a way to hide missiles inside the existing tanks, though I don't think there are any 1.25m diameter bays that will fit on it. Might be better if I redid the main fuselage to use the correct cockpit and Mk2-H body, but eh, who's really gonna care? Will have one GAU-22, and either six hardpoints or two hardpoints and that 22-ton railgun from BDAc for the EML. Currently attempting to stop the variable geometry wings from flopping about during flight, which is proving to be a pain.

tviAjvV.png5iVDCYE.png

Edited by Kebab Kerman