What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

12 minutes ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

I found an underwater tree

I know where that it is.  Flying from KSC to Baikerbanur, a set of lakes just slightly north of the track about midway or a bit further...

(No idea about the second, though.)

Edited by Hotel26

Today, two achievements.

First, I completed my first docking manoeuvre. I'm building a Space Station in LKO. I plan to put one over every planet and moon. It's a long term project, but if I was running a cost-free Space Program, it's what I would do.

GRFkhCz.png

You may notice the long boosters on the end of each section. I've taken to adding docking ports and probe controls to every orbital booster now. I was able to transfer the leftover fuel from one to the other, leaving enough for it to disconnect and burn itself up clean on re-entry. Next docked section will be for solar power generation.

2) I sent a survey probe to Duna. I'm glad I play Science mode. I warped almost two years of game time to get this right.

LXzMnqi.png

The ground experiments I left behind on Minmus and Mun have been trickling science my way, especially during 'transit-to-Duna' time warps.

The surveyor Probe I built for Duna has the Delta-V to make it to Eve and Moho too, so I can probably unlock the rest of the tech tree soon.

I'm glad I played Science mode. The 'progressive unlocks' helped me learn as I go. Also, full disclosure, after a few Mun/Minmus landings, I started using MechJeb to plot my transfers.

I tried out the Ion engine for the first time. Turns out the big, round dish shaped end should be attached to the ship and the little isn't where the dark magic gets expelled to generate thrust. So I burn prograde through my ship and it's kind of like a front-wheel-drive probe:huh:

20220420133621-1.jpg

Started making a MiG-15 replica. Started making a junkyard. Every MiG (or KiG) would suffer a tailstrike on takeoff that only destroyed one thing.

Wait for it...

the engine.

WeLp

Finished conceptualizing my ambitious Mun base, MSB1.

pKf6NvW.png

Now, exactly how I'm going to get all this there is another question. But anyway, this base is in contrast to my more modest Minmus base design,

RJMHlDc.png

In other news, the first 2 modules of the Kerbin Starbase are going up.

2mXPYOt.png

JFxqw9N.png

b7AV6cz.png

aHegWxm.png

KIWF7pq.png

yhIuV0x.png

h0VEvhq.png

Edited by DunaManiac

TIL an editor tip: The number keys 1-4 switch between the 4 tool modes (place, move, rotate, re-root), respectively.

Maybe this is already common knowledge. :D

Anyways, been working on a functional stock Stratolaunch carrier plane. Will post some more after I have given it the finer polish.

DrCeiiW.jpg

Also, the wide aspect ratio monitor definitely helps with a craft like this. :D

9 hours ago, fleventeen said:

TIL an editor tip: The number keys 1-4 switch between the 4 tool modes (place, move, rotate, re-root), respectively.

Maybe this is already common knowledge. :D

Anyways, been working on a functional stock Stratolaunch carrier plane. Will post some more after I have given it the finer polish.

DrCeiiW.jpg

Also, the wide aspect ratio monitor definitely helps with a craft like this. :D

Does it use DLC?

I made This. I call her Callisto

300 and 7 tonnes 3000 ish dv (more if I drop my stored oxidizer) 15 launches/w 2 mechanical failures. She's rigged for the burn, but the kraken likes doughnuts. This is a no sudden moves vessel.

pW9onDn.png

iXhDbfk.png1xGNDvb.png

[JAXA+] The H-Z Heavy 222L launch vehicle is capable of launching 900 tonnes to low Earth orbit, 1.6 times that of the Sea Dragon.

222L refers to the rocket having 2 stages, 2 liquid rocket boosters, 2 solid rocket boosters, and a long fairing.

m5GXJOB.png

TNzct5a.png

Today is a big day. After 850 hours of Kerbaling, I realised that I can make my ship target specific things (prograde, retrograde, target, manoeuvre) by clicking the little button next to the navball if SAS is switched on. I think I did the tutorial long before that became a feature! And I can warp right to the next manoeuvre by pressing the warp right to the next manoeuvre button, such quality of life improvements!

I've been watching some Matt Lowne and decide to finally try the more realistic type of moon/planet visit - have a stage orbiting the destination moon and then drop down a lander and rendezvous back with the orbiter for the return trip to Kerbin. For the past 8 years I've been sending a couple of stages to the mun, landed and returned with no rendezvousing at all.

It was fine once I remembered how to do an orbital rendezvous (I spent a few minutes burning towards target when targeting whilst thinking "surely this is just going to make me spiral around the target?" before remembering that the speedometer is relative speed and I need to get it to zero before burning carefully towards the orbiter...

I also plopped out a lower stage to add to my rocket that can already get to the Mun and decided to do a Minmum and Mun trip, with loads of Dv to spare. I think I'll try Duna (I've been like twice ever). In fact I could probably just, like, check the numbers to see if I have enough Dv instead of just winging it, another of those QOL features I don't seem to look at much:o

I think it's the law you need to have a picture with your post in this thread so here is my rocket.

KSP-x64-2022-04-22-18-50-07-102.jpg

Designed a single-seater Moon lander, then yoinked the rockety bits from the lunar Gemini I made earlier in the week and stapled it to the bottom of the lander. A few small tweaks to cope with the lander's greater weight, and I'm looking at a viable two-launch lunar landing system. Alas, there are too many other things already waiting for their turn at the launchpad: interplanetary missions, sample return missions, rover missions, relay networks, crewed orbital missions for science and (contract) profit, the list goes on...

Still looking at a landing before 1969 though.

Deployed the first of three mining rovers via a patented Tactical YeetTM technique, lobbing it into Lua's atmosphere and then readjusting the trajectory of the delivery spaceplane to return safely to Rhode with minimal effort. My one attempt to land said plane on Lua succeeded, but only just, with a tiny little science rover, so doing so with a 15-ton mining rig was never a viable option.

Mining Rover 1 will be digging up various raw materials, MR2 contains ISRU equipment to produce fuel and oxidiser and MR3 will hold a metal smelter, part fabricator and a big nuclear reactor to power everything else. This is my first foray into using Sandcastle and Extraplanetary Launchpads to build vessels on-site, so it probably won't work the way I think it will and the odds of finding all the required resources in the same place are slim, but that's part of the challenge.

I've completed a new batch of about a dozen probes to send out to several planets. I dislike the prototypical probe core + small battery + oscar-B + ant engine landers and probes that I usually use, and tried to make unique looking satellites and landers. I only have about a year to wait for the next Eve and Duna windows and 200 days for the Jool window, so since I have KCT I actually have a chance to use my Beluga-class SSTOs to deliver them into LKO to save time.

Mun:

Spoiler

SqhefHU.png

The Mun Communications System. 4 relays that I'll deploy over Minmus, using 3 and with one I'll be leaving attached as a backup. Its of identical design to my minmus relay launcher.

hU5WmOY.png

The Mun Operations Satellite: A simple scanning satellite. Its identical to the Minmus Operations Satellite.

LWm0Zc0.jpg

Munar Operations Science Stations 1, 2 & 3: These science stations will be the forerunner to the Minmus Colonial Base. They have a crew cabin for monitoring, a communications array for acting as relay stations, a computer console, some ground science, and KIS cargo containers containing components to build a  drilling unit nearby.

Duna:

Spoiler

5x48wHK.jpg

DEPTH 1 with its SMART Tug II attatched. Its of similar design to its sister probe, DEPTH 2, except it carries a small lander. 

6yzzCxw.jpg

DEPTH 2 with its SMART Tug II attatched. Its only difference to DEPTH 1 is that it carries the Ike General Lander rather than a rover.

zbVX6ne.png

The Duna General Landers 1 & 2. Two identical landers which will be landing at the same time DEPTH 1 and DEPTH 2 arrive. Both of them are Identical in design. Its seen here with its nuclear stage and aeroshell.

Jool:

Spoiler

2kw7bNR.png

CGWCEP4.png

The Laythe Planetary Universal Network - Some relays around Laythe. It's pretty long, so it actually hangs out of the spaceplane. Getting this into orbit will be fun....

KF6j994.png

The Laythe Exploration and Operations Satellite: A satellite specifically designed for Laythe exploration, it'll insert itself into a polar orbit around Laythe. It's being transported aboard the Beluga-class SSTO.

DSlVFOV.jpg

Deep Space 2: The successor to the original Deep Space 1, of similar design. Its only difference is the Outer Moon Explorer which is attached to it and will land on Bop and Pol.

Eve:

Spoiler

uUVCIX4.jpg

The Eve Operations Satellite.

Chalked up a multi-part mission to Moho. The automated EL factory was delivered with a NSW engine stack while a secondary crew was transferred with a more conventional rocketry design (mostly liquid-methane powered).
As usual, I did a woopsie. I designed the two missions a few days apart and I built them as though they would each rely on the other to do the final assembly. I only realized when I landed the crew that I had exchanged the 2-seater survey station for a 2-seater landing can. Worse, I forgot to include some KIS/KAS parts to link up the two missions on the ground. Finally, I overshot the landing with the crew and touched down a few kilometers off with less than 10ms of dV left. It doesn't help that the landing site (chosen for its high concentration of metal ore, ore and LHe3) is near Moho's north pole and there isn't much in the way of light shining there. I had planed to have the factory provide power via fuel cells but I can't exactly move it anymore... I will use the rover that has been sitting in the norther crater for a few years now to ferry fuel and power from the automated factory to the crew lander, as soon as the tools needed get there.

The NSW engine stack was detached and sent back on its way to Kerbin, where it will grab a light survey-station lander (plus the other missing stuff) and transfer back to Moho. I might have to refuel the stack, but maybe not.

Oh, the transfer window to Sarnus has opened up and another crewed mission has been launched! Total travel time will be over two years. No landers of any kind will follow that mission, it's just orbital recon and science gathering.

3PItxa9.jpg
UzSYGfl.jpg
mQ8VOXy.jpg
UmG8RUQ.jpg
km2AJWv.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW